Replies

• LEViATHAN
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Pretty cool stuff dude, thanks.
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Been using this since you posted it over on game-artist. Good shader!
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    nice, I'll try it out this week.
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    This is very cool but I cannot get the shadow version to run...I am on max 2008 x64

max9 & max2008 are very similar when it comes to installing plug-ins...is max2008 by chance not able to handle the shadow version like max9 apparently can't?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Blame Autodesk for that one. I have the same problem on my PC (red wireframe in 64bit Max 2008 ), but it runs in the 32bit Max 2008. So try that. More stable shadows is one reason to upgrade to version 2009, though I can't think of many more ;)
  • Junkie_XL
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    ha, alright. Looks like I have a reason to re-install my 2009 copy.

Should I install x86 or x64 of 2009?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Both work, so you can install the 64bit version.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I did a small update to fix Flip Green Channel for objectspace normalmaps.
    Not that many Max users here that like to try this btw ?
  • kio
    Offline / Send Message
    kio polycounter lvl 15
    i guess most of em are just too lazy trying it out (like me :D - but i could give it a shot this evening..)
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    awesome thanks for this man, im gonna try this out at work tomorrow. cheers.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah well the point of using a shader inside Max is ease of use and laziness. You don´t have to export your model and textures, just do everything straight in Max. I work with Unreal at work and still prefer to preview my textures with this shader, no hassle of exporting, reimporting, or waiting for textures to compress on import.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    will it work in max8? :X
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    The NoShadows version should. If not, tell me the error and I´ll see what I can do. You do need a graphics card that is not ancient and has Pixel Shader 3.0 support (Geforce 6 or better, ATi X1000 series or better).
  • Michael Knubben
    I would have been very interested in this a while back, so I'm sure other people are as well, it's just that we have our own project-specific stuff at work. Just wait untill people start making renders for the domwar, and bump this thread :)
  • EarthQuake
    I've used this shader a bit, and one of the things that bothered be the most was, it seemed like when you added a cubemap it would be subtractive instead of additive, so if i ever wanted to use a cubemap it would make my model really dark. I dont know if you've updated it since the version i used. Also the general settings for cube maps seemed to be really abstracted, like you had to turn values down make the effects more intense, etc. I think it would be good to revamp the ui there for a more artist friendly approach(one input for envmap intensity, one for frensel, and that should be all that is needed).

That said, this is one of the better max shaders out there.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Great feedback Earthquake, it´s really specific stuff like this I like to hear.
    Cubemaps are actually lerped (linear interpolated) into the color. I do suspect that you might´ve used non HDR cubemaps (I exclusively use HDR cubemaps because they look truly superior, the Mustang uses one for example) which could explain why you got the impression they are substractive. I guess the problem is people don´t generally have HDR cubemaps lying around. I´ll see if i can´t convert a good free HDRI to include with it (my cubemaps are copyrighted material, bought from Dosch so I naturally can´t share them)

Concerning the UI I don´t really see what you mean ? I´ve already brought the Fresnel settings to a minimum (offset and falloff sharpness, can´t do with less), and then there´s an overall multiplier for whatever is reflected, cubemap or solid color. The only confusing thing IMO would be the "world masking", so I might have to come up with a better description. Perhaps you could ellaborate a bit more on this issue ?
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah i've dealt with a HDR stuff before, and the main thing you come back to is: its hard to make HDR content. While it is of course better quality, i can make a nice LDR cubemap in like, 30 minutes. Where as HDR cubemaps require expensive cameras, hours of time to create, etc. That was one of the biggest problems with the marmoset engine, all the lighting came from HDR cube maps, but it was near impossible to customize them or create content from scratch.... Maybe support different modes for HDR/LDR cubemaps?

As far as the UI stuff, i may have been using an older version, i think i got v1.5 off of another forum, havent had time to test out what you've posted here so ignore it if its changed since then.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaah, "1.5" explains a lot. That´s the old, hacky, bloated version which I completely rewrote from scratch, the result being this one which is fully my own work.
    But good point on LDR/HDR modes, should be easy to add into the shader! HDR cubemaps are only a small effort however if you use ATi CubeMapGen on pre made HDRI´s. But that requires you have that sort of content lying around (I just happen to because I used to use them a lot for software rendering).
  • solar
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Don't suppose the free cubemaps from here would be any use would they? Nice shader Xoliul, just started tinkering with it.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    or some mean highres ones here <---
  • StJoris
    Laurens, damn I love this shader, very complete and the tickboxes make it very user friendly. Great job man!
  • binopittan
    this works perfectly fine. thanks!
  • binopittan
    any chance for seperated specular color/level maps?
    btw. quick test w poop's skater <3
    skater.jpg
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    Okay, I'm a n00b to adding shaders to Max... I have 2008 x64, where do I put the *.fx files? And how do I access it once it's there?
  • binopittan
  • SHEPEIRO
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Yeah i've dealt with a HDR stuff before, and the main thing you come back to is: its hard to make HDR content. While it is of course better quality, i can make a nice LDR cubemap in like, 30 minutes. Where as HDR cubemaps require expensive cameras, hours of time to create, etc. That was one of the biggest problems with the marmoset engine, all the lighting came from HDR cube maps, but it was near impossible to customize them or create content from scratch.... Maybe support different modes for HDR/LDR cubemaps?

As far as the UI stuff, i may have been using an older version, i think i got v1.5 off of another forum, havent had time to test out what you've posted here so ignore it if its changed since then.

EQ- why did you find it hard to render out HDR envs, i would suggest that it wouldnt be too hard to render them out of marmoset, multiple renders at different brightnesses compostied together.
  • Valandar
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    binopittan wrote: »

But where do I put the shader files itself in MAX's file structure?
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    man....any way to make this max 8 friendly?
  • JostVice
    Offline / Send Message
    JostVice polycounter lvl 12
    Valandar wrote: »

They go into Maps/FX

Great work on the shader, loving it so far. I miss AO though! :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    binopittan wrote: »
    any chance for seperated specular color/level maps?

There's actually no need for that. All I would do with those two separate maps, is multiply them together. You can do the exact same thing by multiplying them in Photoshop and saving as one texture, that just saves memory ;)
    Valandar wrote: »

That doesn't matter. Just browse to them like a texture. I personally have a /Shaders directory on my work partition, for easy access.
    keizza wrote: »
    man....any way to make this max 8 friendly?

The NoShadows version should work in Max 8? Haven't tested, but Max 8 is supposed to be the first version with support for it.
    JostVice wrote: »
    Great work on the shader, loving it so far. I miss AO though! :)

Thanks! If you want realtime AO: Max 2010 has it. It's actually not something I can do in a shader, but works on the full screen. Check it out!

Sorry for late big reply, but Polycount was weirding out and wanted to know what I did last night :s
  • binopittan
    i.m courious why backside of my model always brighter than it,s front. (no matter where i put the omnis ) in order to get a dacent light, i need to rotate my model to certain degrees. lil confusing.. or it,s just how it's works?
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I´m not sure I understand what you mean ? Can you show a screenshot or anything ?
    I haven´t noticed anything like this myself.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    try checking the backface cull parameters binopittan.
  • binopittan
    tried backface cull. it does.nt affect anything
    ask2.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tried it, looks fine if I do the same thing as you. I do get a smiliar effect if i turn on Normalmap without a map in the slot. In that case that is supposed to happen, since it uses some random value when there is no map in the slot.
    So: don't enable maps if you don't fill their slots.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Works Great Dude, I can't believe I'm just seeing this now. The shadows don't seem to be working in Max 2010 though, and If you turn on the realtime shadows by enabling hardware it messes up alpha maps. No big deal though, Great Work!
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot!
    Alpha maps are always a bit iffy in Max because of the drawing order and so.
    The shadows probably don't work because you have them set to Soft Shadows. Those require completely different code, and I don't know what that code is, yet.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Hey, does this shader support object space normal maps?
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    HP, I believe so, yes :) If I remember correctly there's a checkbox for it.

Xoliul, awesome work man. Just wanted to chime in and say that this is a great shader and a I used it while texturing my DW4 character before moving onto rendering in the game engine. Thanks for the hard work :)

Gav
  • bilbana
    Offline / Send Message
    bilbana polycounter lvl 17
    Yup, really great and easy to set up shader. Love it! Nice work.
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm sorry, but i am a little new to this. i have loaded my textures diff, spec, norm, and a cubemap in the slots. but i am not getting any sign of my textures. the paths are correct....but nothing is showing up.

shadere.jpg
  • RickFX
    i love this...somehow it worked better on my old installation thoo...i might sound stupid but how do i activate the shadows? i use an omnilight and it doesnt show any shadows on the material surface. :(
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Keizza:
    I'm sorry, but your Max version is too old. I think you're using Max 7, there has only been decent shader support as of Max 8. You're not seeing any textures because there are no switch parameters shown in your shader interface (normally you tick which maps you want to use), but it seems like Max 7 doesn't load them. Nothing I can do about this unfortunately.

RickFX: Make sure the omni is set to Cast Shadows. Then right click in viewport when it is selected, and enable "Viewport Shadows", I think it's in the top left menu. After that, you must configure your viewport (Right click viewport name, Configure), go to the "Lighting & Shadows" tab, and set it to "Best (SM 3.0)". That's all there is to it in Max 2008 and 2009, 2010 is a bit different and I can't tell you from the top of my head.
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    hmmmmmmmmm....thanks for the response Xoliul. but i am indeed using max 8. you can see "max 8" on the header bar up top. no big deal....was just really wanting to try it out. seems like a good shader. thanks man.

shaderj.jpg
    Shot at 2009-05-12
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay that's kinda strange. It should work in 8.
    Can you try this one, see if it does work: http://www.game-artist.net/forums/support/5422-3dsmax-viewport-shader.html ?
  • airbrush
    Offline / Send Message
    airbrush polycounter lvl 13
    the selfillum map doesn't seem to be working for me....? (max2009) Just effects the whole object regardless if a map is applied.

..nice shader by the way
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    hey Xoliul, the the ones from game-artist.net work. everything in there works except the alpha, which is in the diffuse channel. and there is no reflection option.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, I will really try to get working on it tomorrow. Si map needs some checking apparently, and I think I might be exceeding the number of boolean switches for Max 8. Should be fixable if I know Doylle's shader works (which is a different thing than mine btw, keizza. I tried to improve on that one in many ways).
  • keizza
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks so much Xoliul. so does that mean that YOUR version can easily be fixed for max 8? that would be very cool. thanks again for all your hard work.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I'm almost ready to release a new version. It has some new features (mainly IBL). I still have to look into the Max 8 issue, I have no Max 8 myself so I will probably have to find that somewhere.

Airbrush: I checked, you're probably just setting the global SI level to 100, which means everything is 100% lit. Set it to 0 if you use an SI map, since the global level is just added to the map.