Home Technical Talk

IPack That released as Early Access on Steam

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
[PB]Snoelk polycounter lvl 7
IPackThat on Steam
IPackThat Demo on Steam

Thanks to the great community on polycount for all the help and suggestions. it was a long stony road but now its finaly available :)

Replies

• Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Congrats! Maybe link to the demo on the Early Access steam page?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    done. didnt noticed you have to add the demo in the store page as well
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want a bulk license for an entire studio ( beginning at 5 versions ) you can order a bulk version directly from us without steam. contact license@ipackthat.com
    to get in contact with us.
  • Count Vertsalot
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Congratulations on the release! Thats got to feel good. :)

That said...I can't get it to work.
    I keep getting an error.

Import Error: UV Set UV0 contains no data!

Any help?
  • MeshMagnet
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on the release.
    I've been looking for something like this for years.
    The gameworld needs more devs like you!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master

I keep getting an error.

Any help?

Do you have UVs on the mesh in the first UV set?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message

I keep getting an error.

Any help?

just as ZacD mentioned, it seems that you dont have any uv data. did you set up all uv channels right with working uv islands? the tool will not unwrap or create working uv sets. its just abut packing existing uv data.
  • Gheromo
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    YES! I loved the results during the demo! Gonna grab it sometime this week!
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I'm reasonably familiar with the primary purpose of the tool, packing not unwrapping.

Unfortunately I cannot show the mesh as it is work stuff, but yes, I have UV's and they are on channel 1 (in max). There are no other UV channels in use. I tried obj's exported from both Silo and 3D Studio Max 2010. Both gave the same error.

Are there any preferred export settings from Max you can give?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the quick reply! I'm reasonably familiar with the primary purpose of the tool, packing not unwrapping.

Unfortunately I cannot show the mesh as it is work stuff, but yes, I have UV's and they are on channel 1 (in max). There are no other UV channels in use. I tried obj's exported from both Silo and 3D Studio Max 2010. Both gave the same error.

Are there any preferred export settings from Max you can give?

thats strange. is it possible to send me the obj or fbx file so i can debug the problem?
    to avoid nda problems with this mesh, you can scramble, bend, twist do whatever with the 3d mesh. the uv data should stay intact. i also dont need materials or textures. im only interested in the raw uv data. from what i read so far, the import process did not recognized any uv data. i will laso check again on my side if there could be a problem.
  • Luki
    Offline / Send Message
    Luki polycounter lvl 3
    I have the same problem with "Import Error: UV Set UV0 contains no data!" message.

I've tried demo on my model, but here is simple scene, only 6 boxes, that is giving me this message as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/52gcrv1pqivw7xb/UV0_test.obj?dl=0
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Great work on the tool....but i have a problem....i`m try`n to load a mesh into the demo but i get ipackthat stopped working....the loading time is very high on a 3k tris mesh...and i try`d diferent meshes but with no luck. What to do?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    s1dK wrote: »
    Great work on the tool....but i have a problem....i`m try`n to load a mesh into the demo but i get ipackthat stopped working....the loading time is very high on a 3k tris mesh...and i try`d diferent meshes but with no luck. What to do?

could you send me one of those troublesome meshes?
    mario@ipackthat.com
  • Tim270
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Trying a fbx file with uv channel and uv data and crashing in the demo
    Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name:	CLR20r3
      Problem Signature 01:	ipackthat.exe
      Problem Signature 02:	1.0.0.0
      Problem Signature 03:	552d107d
      Problem Signature 04:	Piranha.Graphics.ShapeTools
      Problem Signature 05:	1.7.5582.25344
      Problem Signature 06:	552d1071
      Problem Signature 07:	434
      Problem Signature 08:	b
      Problem Signature 09:	System.IndexOutOfRangeException
      OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID:	1033
      Additional Information 1:	df14
      Additional Information 2:	df14b04a50e86110bccf3e37326442bb
      Additional Information 3:	b3ff
      Additional Information 4:	b3ff9ba1cd8a1f13150c236a9d584e2d

Read our privacy statement online:
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
      C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

• Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure if this is IPackThat doing it or 3D Studio, but my UV shells in 3D Studio sometimes have a white border instead of a green one. This is typically UV shells that I have overlapped - is there an explanation for this?
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Will upload an update for the demo tomorrow as well :)
    The crash seems to be be of the crashes I fixed in this version update.
  • LaurentiuN
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    [PB]Snoelk wrote: »
    could you send me one of those troublesome meshes?
    mario@ipackthat.com

i`m sorry i can not send the mesh ...here an error,

yAuR5mm.png
  • god3ila
    Offline / Send Message
    god3ila polycounter lvl 10
    Congrats for the Steam release ! I've bought the early access and started to test it.
    I've got some incohesive results, and I would like to ask you some question.
    I've exported a mesh with unaveraged UV islands (specific texel ratio for some UVs islands regarding their significance) , and it seems that "IPack That" does not take care of the texel ratio I've choose and the result is not even close to what it should be if the islands were averaged.

Stretched.jpg

Then I've done a second test with all the UV islands averaged and then it worked well.

UnStretched.jpg

Did you plan to implement some texel ratio control, or at least keep the pre established one?

Thanks !
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    @god3ila
    The packer is not scaling up or down individual uv shells. The imported uv islands are always scaled up and down together. So the texelratio between all uv islands will always be the same.
    Maybe the problem occurs now, because each uv island got more texeldensity now (from 30% coverage to 10%) So the different densities are now more visible than before.
    On the second example where you averaged all uv islands this problem is not occuring. Each uv island got same texeldensity so the higher density in the result applies to all of them and there is no difference between texeldensities on each island.
    To be sure i will have a look again but when i check your first image, the islands are all in the same size (relative) as the incoming.

ps: some uv islands i cand find in the original first image. are they outside uv area? did you checked move to bound to get them to there area 0 - 1 again and treat as overlaps ?
  • god3ila
    Offline / Send Message
    [PB]Snoelk wrote: »
    @god3ila
    The packer is not scaling up or down individual uv shells. The imported uv islands are always scaled up and down together. So the texelratio between all uv islands will always be the same.
    Maybe the problem occurs now, because each uv island got more texeldensity now (from 30% coverage to 10%) So the different densities are now more visible than before.
    On the second example where you averaged all uv islands this problem is not occuring. Each uv island got same texeldensity so the higher density in the result applies to all of them and there is no difference between texeldensities on each island.
    To be sure i will have a look again but when i check your first image, the islands are all in the same size (relative) as the incoming.

ps: some uv islands i cand find in the original first image. are they outside uv area? did you checked move to bound to get them to there area 0 - 1 again and treat as overlaps ?

Thanks for your answer :)

There's no UV islands outside of the 0-1 space, I've left some big empty spaces on purpose to have a better view of the differences and the non cohesive results.
    Here is where some parts have been moved and unfortunately as we can see "rescaled" even if it's not the right term.

MovedAndScale.jpg

Thanks
  • god3ila
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem solved, I don't know what was wrong... But Now it works like a charm ! :)
    I guess I did something wrong but I don't know what exactly. I'll try to figure out.
    Thanks for having taken care of it anyway.
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    Gonna give it a go at packing this. :)

hpEyf.png

hpEEb.jpg

Gotta texture everything by hand which is why I'm keeping everything grouped together - also tonnes of parts to this
  • [PB]Snoelk
    Offline / Send Message
    Good that your problem got solved :) tried to figure out what's happend with your mesh.

@dan that looks like a tough job :) curious how long the packer is trying to find a god solution *g*
    What you think hoe long you would need doing this by hand?
  • Dan Powell
    Offline / Send Message
    It's on solution 4 at the moment after 1h47. 42% wasted space (just hoping it works fine because it's an FBX object which broke last time I tried):

hpKOU.png

I'll probably texture this at 4K because there's so many parts to it so it may be a bit low res for first-person current generation.

By hand I honestly don't know how long it would take me. Maybe a few hours if I was trying to optimise it as best as I can?

What I've been doing is letting IPackThat find a decent pack for me, then taking it back into 3D Studio and cleaning it up (scaling bits up, slotting tight circles back into each other, etc.) :-P Usually I scale circles up and down slightly if I can get a better overall pack at the loss of a few pixels resolution on them.

Though whilst it's been running I've been slowly texturing another object - so it's free up that time.

Regarding the White UVs borders I'm not sure what's causing it. It could be IPackThat or it could be a bug with 3D Studio - though I'll try fix it as someone suggested in my other thread (by just breaking the shells apart individually, though there's a lot of shells for me to go back and break...) >_<