Prophet 9's Workshop Thread

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Prophet9 polycounter lvl 9

Replies

• Nannou
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Looks great. I was waiting for a meat club for him :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Greetings to all.
    I have submitted my first item to the workshop today (and for the April competition).

The Ogre Magi is an amusing character so I figured as my first object (and to get the process figured out) I'd go on the lighter side of things.

Banded Haunch
    og2B6Zi.jpg

EIBkDAj.jpg
    I will continue to update as things progress!

Cheers!

I have created a concept for the Phantom Assassin (April Contest).
    I'm going to try and make the deadline :)

Adding this to my ongoing thread here.

The drawing is not finished, but more of a design/colour test.

MZlhoY7.jpg

Cheers!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Looks great. I was waiting for a meat club for him :)

Haha, thanks Nannou. It certainly suits his demeanor.
    Most of the characters are super-serious... but the Ogre Magi is just funny to me.
    Seems powerful enough in-game though.

Cheers.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Base model sitting at 686 polygons (triangles) for LoD0 with plenty of room to take it down to below 600 for L0D1.
    There are a few areas I could reduce and reuse those polygons in curved areas.

EVRpTbC.jpg
  • Terminus
    Terminus here. I will be partnering with Prophet in developing items, with concepts and textures provided by me, and 3D models provided by Prophet.

First up is a Mountain King/Magma King concept based on the Ogre Magi. It's a darn shame we can't get rid of the stock kilt/dress, but we'll make do. The idea is that he's covered in stony growths, somewhere between obsidian and polished black-rock. Magma will glow between the "plates", more strongly where runes run down and through the strongest ones.

I've attached a WIP rendering of the concept; with color development on his weapon. DoTA%20-%20Ogre%20Magi%20Mountain%20King%20-%20Render%201a.jpg

- Terminus -
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a concept created by my friend and colleague, Terminus. We've partnered up to create items and sets, Huzzah! He's such an awesome 2D artist...

Behold, a preview of the (tentatively named) Mountain King set for the Ogre Magi!

DoTA%20-%20Ogre%20Magi%20Mountain%20King%20-%20Render%201a.jpg

More to come!
    Cheers
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Prophet9 wrote: »
    Here is a concept created by my friend and colleague, Terminus. We've partnered up to create items and sets, Huzzah! He's such an awesome 2D artist...

Behold, a preview of the (tentatively named) Mountain King set for the Ogre Magi!

More to come!
    Cheers

I'm enjoying the "poo" shaped rock on the head.
  • Spudnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Cannot unsee T.T

I dig the idea though you might run into some limitations with the lods, the budgets are pretty low and you have lots of round shapes and complex silhouettes in there.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Hey Terminus, welcome!

first posts are moderated, that is why yours wasnt displaying.

feel free to post now =]
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes... the concept is very complex, and I realize it's going to require some very creative poly placement to get something similar. A lot of this will be in the normal map I think :)

Poo shaped rock... LOL... I was thinking we could put an Inukshuk on there instead, haha.
    That or a rock chin-strap for the "dumb" head.
  • Chaemirix
    Offline / Send Message
    Chaemirix polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly I thought the idea was hilarious as long as you don't make it "too" obvious. People tend to get up in arms about silly ideas in Dota 2 but Ogre Magi is one of the few that can pull it off so I say abuse it!

I'm looking forward to seeing how this set turns out.
  • Terminus
    Thanks Tviditto!

@Chaemirix - The rock-poo is there for his pro-tek-shun!

@Spudnik - Yea; it's my first real full concept/realization for DoTA. Working with Prophet and as we bounce ideas back and forth, it's going to take a few iterations before we nail down our processes and I see how well (or poorly) some of my concepts translate to 3D. At least this way, we have a direction we want to move in for the concept, and can then dumb down to meet the technical requirements. Y'know what they say! It's easier to take away than it is to add!

- Terminus -
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    If you guys don't make this I will hunt you down.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my second submission! :)

The Veiled Sang-Kau
    Created in the elder days of the Veiled Sisters, this ancient weapon displays the scars of countless enemies seen vanquished. Perfectly balanced and deadly of purpose, the Veiled Sang-Kau brings a swift end to victims chosen by the Phantom Assassin.

026DEB2B413A0113AE2B3812C64A5202C9F2912C

AACFBC7DC6AAEB080FCF77A2964AB868CEA4252A
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Just thought I'd upload an image of the high poly, LoD0 and final textured object for comparison.

Cheers.

tvGIlBs.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    if you're willing to test something for me...could you try making the plate behind the blue swirls the same color as the inside portion of her shoulder armor? (the cool dark gray) - I really feel like the piece needs a tiny bit more of that color and a bit less of the warm woody color to ground a little better with PA.

Indulge me. because you love me. deep inside you know you do.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    if you're willing to test something for me...could you try making the plate behind the blue swirls the same color as the inside portion of her shoulder armor? (the cool dark gray) - I really feel like the piece needs a tiny bit more of that color and a bit less of the warm woody color to ground a little better with PA.

Indulge me. because you love me. deep inside you know you do.

Haha, sure thing. I'll make the change tonight and upload a render. :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey reverendK, I took a look at the armor colors, and made some changes. The armor isn't actually grey... it's dark blue/green. The grey must be mask/lighting effects in game. I matched the centers as asked, and tried it in game. I also changed the color of the swirl to more closely match the edging of her armor.
    What do you think?

TAstu7X.jpg
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it might be a little less saturated - and you might keep the hilts and the block above her fingers the warmer color to break it up - but i do personally like this more. we shall see if the peanut gallery agrees :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    I do like the blue colour, but it's beginning to look a little matchy (re-adding brown elements will likely help)...

The original brownish colour was chosen from the brown elements on the leathery parts of her clothing. I originally made that too saturated, and greyed it back a bit. Because she is so dark and blue-green, I thought it would help the weapon stand out.

On another note, I'm trying to unify the submission preview for my items. Trying to keep a consistent look/feel to them... but when I re-submit the new images through DOTA, they don't update. The instructions say I don't need to re-update the entire submission, just the image (if I choose)...
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for all the feedback - it's appreciated!
    Cheers.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a set for Medusa. Here is a quick shot of the bow WIP.

5vtbm0J.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    So... what a long month this has been!
    Got my submission in for the May competition.
    My Medusa set: The Gorgon's Revenge

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=149523920

w5xXZQVh.jpg

Thanks to Terminus for the ideas, concepts and putting together the promotional shots (while we were at work no less! Photoshop Ninja!)

Cheers all.
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    This looks great Prophet, all around nice work.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    In the midst of creating my set for Nature's Prophet this month - I decided to create a Slark dagger based on an idea that's been floating around in my head for a while.

Slarks Obsidian Dagger
    This razor sharp dagger is made of volcanic glass from the depths near Dark Reef. After his escape, Slark chipped away the dagger and bound it with bone and leather. The thin edges scintillate with color as Slark bounds along dispatching his enemies.

V8jLAjx.jpg

Cheers all!
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    it feels like it is missing the larger shapes overall, it feels very busy right now with all those fine circles. Id try to tone those down an integrate some bigger shapes.

http://api.ning.com/files/gHA4wkWOWjcER5Yqo-k5bGH*GN3dXT4gmC-AnVkt6l6HEoZlK9Tkb7RQ82N8bZ-8zwHGYjVI51j4wbmrlU9HIXx1QhvTGX1l/obsidian.jpg
  • foeffa
    That dagger looks awesome
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made adjustments to the color and mask textures to help tighten up the specular. It was certainly blowing out in some angles in game. Uploaded the changes :)
    Cheers.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way - a shout out to handplane3d.com! I'm using Handplane free at the moment and the dagger was the first item I've tried it with. It turned out great! The changes were subtle, but it fixed some errors created by XNormal (which is also still awesome).

Here is the normal for the slark dagger:

DZny8hr.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    A new weapon for Pudge.
    Posting WIPs etc.

Concept for the Barberous Bodysnatcher:

y2bALs5.jpg

I managed to get most of this concept into the model at 350 polygons.
    Here is the high poly sculpt (you can see where things have been changed).
    Also - much as been thickened up for visibility etc.

B2UOUQp.jpg

To be continued...

Cheers!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    My latest item!

Concept and base model:

K0KstTt.jpg

High poly sculpt, Textured low poly, Low Poly mesh:

hS7h4BH.jpg

Closeup of the (unfinished textured) sculpt:

hkQk6Vq.jpg

And the final submission!

Septic Scythe by Prophet9

6B767C8976AF3B7110DABB41F1F2F4EBA28AAF56
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Reorganized my first post. :)
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Courier concept - Pudge themed :)

Will be posting wip's and sculpt soon.

0pKmyFO.jpg
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Pyro Classic Updo by Prophet9

200x200.resizedimage

07E85D349D2412F7B83DD46F44789E5374899248

AB499E7645EE8B55164D5916134FC0AE4E651517

CF0FEB9F470BC6BD7FBD907C4DE3FA5E480E66AB
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    The awesome concept art by Stefco:
    RXjFpJI.jpg

Base modeling begins:
    SntyBUE.jpg

Thought I'd do the vines in sculpting only. This was a mistake. Also, T reference pose was chosen initially, but this made it difficult to place all the cool asymmetry the design had.
    ABAeRDy.jpg

So, I rebuilt the body - making it much closer to the concept. I used renderable splines to map it all out - lots of tweaking and detailing the spline to get it to weave together etc.

yq649HH.jpg

Base body geometry Meshsmoothed for sculpting in Mudbox:

9xaQDPa.jpg

A couple of sculpt passes in Mudbox to detail things. This version has the mouth wider - I reverted back to the concept sized mouth because it looked much better:

HuMoOhR.jpg

Testing normal maps on LoD0 and LoD1 geometery:

AyMhS0u.jpg

Textures by Stefco! Normal map and color diffuse only:

pxgZUQa.jpg

Here we are in game with final texture and some "leet" ratings :)

IIA1SWQ.jpg

That's all for now!
    Cheers. :)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    L337!!! Well deserved.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The improvement between that Slark dagger and the pumpkin treant is amazing! Keep up the good work!
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Sukotto wrote: »
    The improvement between that Slark dagger and the pumpkin treant is amazing! Keep up the good work!

Agreed! I love to see artists improving over time, kinda gives me some hope haha

Also an amazing treant! Really hope it gets in-game, since it's absolutely high quality fitting stuff.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
  • Lennyagony
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work Prophet, great to see you breaking out the animation!
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all,
    Here are some various wip shots of a new Lina set I'm working on with Stefco.

Concept by Stefco:

KjW9dai.jpg

LoD0 model:

R9068AQ.jpg

Mudbox sculpt:

nVS5hxG.jpg

High Poly on model in Max:

wRZaTYY.jpg

High poly bake, with normal map and AO on LoD0 model:

3XQgANt.jpg

And more to come!

Cheers. :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Looking great so far guys, love it!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Classy! Though, not sure if you can make bigger folds on the skirt and if that will help it look better. Just a thought.
  • Prophet9
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, time for an update and massive image dump :)
    I have been very busy with sets, singles and animations... and I've not kept up with my thread here. I have also updated my first post with only items that I have had accepted.

Without further ado:

Final Lina submission for DD of LGD:

268x268.resizedimage

Kaito sword for Juggernaut, created with Robo, Crowntail and Automedic - I provided 2 custom attack animations for this submission which you can see on the item page.

[FONT=&quot]268x268.resizedimage

Soulstrike for Wraith King, created with Stefco.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]268x268.resizedimage[/FONT]

Ballistic Goggles created with Slimeface:

Here is Slimeface's concept:
    o8Hj2aR.jpg

The LoD0 Mesh:
    KQZxYGq.jpg

Sculpt in Mudbox:

42FLzgn.jpg

And final item submission:

[FONT=&quot]268x268.resizedimage[/FONT]

The awesome Well of Tranquility healing ward for Juggernaut, created by Crowntail with custom particles by Automedic. I did the animations for this ward... and there were two versions; Radiant and Dire:

[FONT=&quot]268x268.resizedimage

And most recently, the ridiculously awesome CK set Planar Warlord created with Belkun and Stefco. I was responsible for the horse model and some minor inputs on the remainder of the set. Stefco's promo painting is just amazing!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]637x358.resizedimage[/FONT]

Stefco's concept for the horse:

rgH4e8l.jpg

Here is the skullpt in Zbrush (this was my first Zbrush endeavor... trial by fire :):

NaS3eyM.jpg

Oh, and if you haven't seen the wicked turntable created by Belkun using the set, be sure to check it out:

[FONT=&quot]268x268.resizedimage[/FONT]

Cheers all!
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    The CK set came out great, glad to see it finally finished. The shield is definitely my favorite :D