Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    circle of friends polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys for that input. I wouldn't be surprised if the bones are crashing it as well. I'll post results later :)
  • Evil_Knevil
    I accidently deleted the original workshop file (I'm so fucking dumb :v:), so I had to reupload it. Took the liberty to make some new promo's though. Thanks for voting (again)!

GnN8wtE.png

l8qY4zW.jpg
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    I think I choose poorly for a name (sounds like a hair shampoo now, lol), but I'm at least pleased with the SFM presentation:

UvYU7zT.jpg

vOLXA6M.jpg

Images are links, so feel free to vote as you like. :)
  • Jukebox
    Anybody have any experience with creating skins for weapons? I've got a Loch N Load replacement I'm trying to make right now. Have the models complete and I want to create a custom skin for it. Tried it on my own and ended up where the Demoman isn't holding a weapon at all for World and View models. Any help?
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys! I have a couple questions if any of you would be so kind as to lend me an ear (or two)

1: So first and foremost, I've been battling up hill to get jiggle bones to work in the actual TF2 test map. I have my model all decompiled and recompiled, and it's working with the jiggle bones in the source sdk model viewer, but when it comes to getting it to work in the actual Gold star submission screen or the testmap in TF2 itself, it won't work at all.

The model itself will work, but the bones don't do anything. I've tried adding the code to the QC code in the submission page, but that doesn't work. Do you guys have any advice? Possibly how I get jiggle to work in the QC code editor IN TF2?

ALSO. I see a lot of amazing pictures taken of models. Are these taken in the Source Film Maker?
  • Evil_Knevil
    anglorum wrote: »
    Hey guys! I have a couple questions if any of you would be so kind as to lend me an ear (or two)

1: So first and foremost, I've been battling up hill to get jiggle bones to work in the actual TF2 test map. I have my model all decompiled and recompiled, and it's working with the jiggle bones in the source sdk model viewer, but when it comes to getting it to work in the actual Gold star submission screen or the testmap in TF2 itself, it won't work at all.

The model itself will work, but the bones don't do anything. I've tried adding the code to the QC code in the submission page, but that doesn't work. Do you guys have any advice? Possibly how I get jiggle to work in the QC code editor IN TF2?

ALSO. I see a lot of amazing pictures taken of models. Are these taken in the Source Film Maker?

You can't view jigglebones in the importer's preview screen, you have to view them in hlmv or the itemtest map. If they work in those, it should be fine. You have to add your jigglebone parameters to the qc in the importer though, to make them work.

I use SFM for making promo's, but you can use hlmv too. Both work perfectly fine. Altough SFM gives it a bit more class. :)
  • EmAr
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a thing of beauty! I love it. Oh man you should jiggle bone up his little head so he nods!

edit: I'd also make his eyes have a bit more specular, and join the tail up a little bit :)
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, I was thinking what I could add. Thanks for both the comment and the suggestion :icon60:
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    anglorum wrote: »

There's also a cvar jiggle bone framerate cutoff set at 40 fps standard in tf2. You preobably need to lower it.

My laptop wasn't showing jiggle bones until I set it to 10 fps, then they worked.
  • EArkham
    Offline / Send Message
    EArkham polycounter lvl 9
    I haven't been using SFM for promo images in the past because it's fairly time consuming. However I recently upgraded my computer pretty heavily, so now renders take no time at all. I'm hoping to start using SFM much more frequently.

For paint samples, I think screenshots in HLMV are still the better method.
  • Jukebox
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Jukebox wrote: »
    8CwVr97.png

Wat.

A community full of Jueveniles who know everything and have no tact.

What is Steam Alex.
  • heinous
    Baddcog wrote: »
    There's also a cvar jiggle bone framerate cutoff set at 40 fps standard in tf2. You preobably need to lower it.

My laptop wasn't showing jiggle bones until I set it to 10 fps, then they worked.

the command in the ~ console is

cl_jiggle_bone_framerate cutoff 1

which sets the cutoff to 1. i use 1 because sometimes i like to record as well and that might slow things down more than usual.
    EmAr wrote: »
    Oh, I was thinking what I could add. Thanks for both the comment and the suggestion :icon60:

could use some ridges in the rear flippers, and flatter front flippers. not sure how realistic you want to depict them, but one or 2 minor detail like that may help.

1wdXAKO.jpg

i have 3 items in the works. can't wait to show them off :D
  • Zombinian
    Howdy folks,
    I just released my first workshop item and if it wasn't for the Polycount forums I would have had a rough time finishing up, so Thank you all and if you like the hat send some votes my way!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170213931&searchtext=

9526443533_96f0e44215_h.jpg

9526443821_c3c17a8b94_h.jpg

9526444055_2d774413cf_h.jpg
  • RedSheep
    Nice. Looks really good. Some people won't like it, but I do
  • DigitalSprocket
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalSprocket polycounter lvl 9
    Hey hey,

I'm finishing up a pack for the scout and wanted to get some sweet renders in Filmmaker. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or video or just some advice though here on how to take my workshop files and convert/import them into Filmmaker? I have some older work that I'd like to update with some better shots too.
  • DigitalSprocket
    Offline / Send Message
    DigitalSprocket polycounter lvl 9
    One more question, I have goggles on the Scout's new hat that I want to be semi-transparent. Does anyone know how to target the goggles and apply that effect with the new workshop publisher?

Sorry for the double post, too late to edit my last post.
  • Zombinian
    RedSheep wrote: »
    Nice. Looks really good. Some people won't like it, but I do

Here is a link to the official Source Filmmaker tutorials which helped me learn the program to in order to create my hat renders.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2B46DEB4157E67C4
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Going hard in this TF2 item game.

You guys are making some snazzy stuff!

Here's my latest contribution!

g4zl0gn.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=170635
  • Jukebox
    Hey hey,

I'm finishing up a pack for the scout and wanted to get some sweet renders in Filmmaker. Can anyone recommend a tutorial or video or just some advice though here on how to take my workshop files and convert/import them into Filmmaker? I have some older work that I'd like to update with some better shots too.

Here's the video tutorials I watched; includes pretty much everything you need to know plus some.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eht7vIZqDcE

Also,steps to import your model to Filmmaker:

Use the .zip file from the import tool
    Get .vtf and .vmt from the zip file:
    steamapps>common>Team Fortress 2>tf>workshop
    Copy them to:
    common>SourceFilmmaker>game>tf>materials>models>workshop>player>items>[class]>[item name]
    Compile from the QC in the .zip using GUIstudioMDL
    New .mdl will be created in:
    [ROOT]>models>workshop>player>items>[class]

So I'm currently trying to work out how to create an item that has areas that are paintable and glowing. I've got the Alpha channel set, which works for paint. I thought to get glow I could upload an image in the Shared Illum Mask area that is a .tga with an alpha channel where I want the texture to glow. However it changes the Paint VMT so that it applies the paint to the entire object, and then I can't tell if it's even glowing or not. Anybody know how I could correctly work this?
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you using a normal map? You could possibly get the alpha channel of a normal map (if not using one just use the default purple in the diffuse so it doesn't do anything) to change the glow?

Actually you could even just use the alpha channel of your diffuse as your paintable which is pretty common, and as an alpha mask for the glow would have white where it wants to glow and black where it doesn't, surely they can share the same thing? Could you post your textures? It's a little confusing just reading text.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have my hat working in the import tool, verified and exported and works fine with jiggle bones in HLMV. When I try to load that up in itemtest TF2 just crashes to desktop and I have no idea why! I seem to remember a while ago I had to copy all the files for the item (even textures etc) in to the same folder for it not to crash, but that's not even working this time. Any ideas? :(

Edit: it appears my tf2 is broken as it worked for someone I just sent the exported zip file to. Looks like I'll need to reinstall.
  • EmAr
  • Jukebox
    Are you using a normal map? You could possibly get the alpha channel of a normal map (if not using one just use the default purple in the diffuse so it doesn't do anything) to change the glow?

Actually you could even just use the alpha channel of your diffuse as your paintable which is pretty common, and as an alpha mask for the glow would have white where it wants to glow and black where it doesn't, surely they can share the same thing? Could you post your textures? It's a little confusing just reading text.

Not currently using a Normal Map. I'm hesitant to use one since I know Valve only uses Normal Maps when it is really necessary.

Texture as of now, it's only the AO and some base colors:
    L9zF9mf.png

Alpha Channel:
    tPwpemy.png

I have a copy of the Alpha channel saved for the Self Illumination map. Not sure if I'm doing it right. If I used the alpha of the Diffuse map how would I get the Import tool to use it for glow? Steam is having some issues right now so I can't open TF2 to take a look or get screenshots of the item. Thanks for the help.

@EmAr - Are those fangs? Also, I agree with whoever said it earlier, the fins need a bit more shape to them. Right now they are blobby and a bit too cartoony.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    are baby walrus' seal colored? Big ones are brown.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    Not currently using a Normal Map. I'm hesitant to use one since I know Valve only uses Normal Maps when it is really necessary.

Texture as of now, it's only the AO and some base colors:
    L9zF9mf.png

Alpha Channel:
    tPwpemy.png

I have a copy of the Alpha channel saved for the Self Illumination map. Not sure if I'm doing it right. If I used the alpha of the Diffuse map how would I get the Import tool to use it for glow? Steam is having some issues right now so I can't open TF2 to take a look or get screenshots of the item. Thanks for the help.

@EmAr - Are those fangs? Also, I agree with whoever said it earlier, the fins need a bit more shape to them. Right now they are blobby and a bit too cartoony.

I didn't know about them not liking normal maps. I have a normal map in the hat I got accepted and it's vital if you want a specular map in the alpha channel of the normal map. To be honest I haven't done glowy stuff yet so I'm not totally sure. You could maybe edit the QC file though?

As for the walrus fangs, they need to be in the corners of his mouth, not the front as he's looking a bit vampirish at the moment. Spread them out a bit :)

Has anyone had any problems with recorded demos not playing? I'm trying to take a quick video of my hat's jiggle bones in itemtest, when I record a demo and load it to play it back it crashes TF2 to desktop. What's the best way to make a video?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Baddcog wrote: »
    are baby walrus' seal colored? Big ones are brown.

Nope, baby walrus are also brown but brown doesn't look good with the blue team uniform. Maybe I can find a brownish color for the red team texture though. Thanks for the feedback :)

Thanks for the feedback. Those tiny things were supposed to be fangs but they are larger and better placed now.

o6zt.jpg

I'll be looking into the feet next. Thanks again :)

EDIT: Forgot to add, I'm trying to make the fangs even larger.
  • circle of friends
  • Jukebox
    I didn't know about them not liking normal maps. I have a normal map in the hat I got accepted and it's vital if you want a specular map in the alpha channel of the normal map. To be honest I haven't done glowy stuff yet so I'm not totally sure. You could maybe edit the QC file though?

Has anyone had any problems with recorded demos not playing? I'm trying to take a quick video of my hat's jiggle bones in itemtest, when I record a demo and load it to play it back it crashes TF2 to desktop. What's the best way to make a video?

On their Q&A page they say that they prefer not to use one unless it really helps the model. They used the Ambassador as an example. I'll have to go try and make a normal and specular map, this would be the first time for me. The Import tool only has an option for Self Illumination Mask, so I guess I would have to go into the .qc to change it. I'm definitely not too confident with my .qc abilities but I guess it's a good time to learn.

Are you using TF2's in-game replay? If so I would suggest FRAPS, but be sure to set the jiggle cut off frame rate to 1.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
  • heinous
    On their Q&A page they say that they prefer not to use one unless it really helps the model. They used the Ambassador as an example. I'll have to go try and make a normal and specular map, this would be the first time for me. The Import tool only has an option for Self Illumination Mask, so I guess I would have to go into the .qc to change it. I'm definitely not too confident with my .qc abilities but I guess it's a good time to learn.

Are you using TF2's in-game replay? If so I would suggest FRAPS, but be sure to set the jiggle cut off frame rate to 1.

i think valve will let you use normal maps as long as it's simple and subtle. you can also always just leave the rgb layers as a blank normal map with the color 128 128 255 rgb numbers.

if you don't mind watermark and a 10 minute limit, bandicam free trial seems to give me better in-game performance after messing with the settings
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18

I think this is a good placement:

d5xd.jpg

Congrats on your hat BTW, cool idea! I'd put some images here as well.
  • circle of friends
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr wrote: »
    I think this is a good placement:

Congrats on your hat BTW, cool idea! I'd put some images here as well.

Ah ok cool thanks, here's my hat:

2ILbIRm.jpg

imnSHXW.png

wyuivkP.png

And here's a little video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyZogZRIpCo
  • heinous
  • heinous
    Jimmy94 wrote: »
    @heinous Awesome! Following movement should be bit less jerky,but other than that love em! How you did all that,and still kept them gold star items? +1 for making opening shot remind me of Fallout 3. :D

ah, fallout. i knew i was inspired by something.

i studied how jigglebones work and then messed around for a long time to get the movement out of it. it's partly why i'm afraid to try eliminating the jerky movement after getting it to actually work.

spy item is looking spiffy. might want to make the shirt colored though, i don't think valve wants items that take away team distinction and they talked about that in the blog post a while back.
  • carlson bench
  • carlson bench
    Hi this is my very first TF2 hat

I would love some feed back if possible

Thanks

637x358.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=171753927&searchtext=
  • Jukebox
    @heinous Awesome! Following movement should be bit less jerky,but other than that love em! How you did all that,and still kept them gold star items? +1 for making opening shot remind me of Fallout 3. :D

New thing for spy:

It's basicly default suit with some extrudes,bridges,etc. If I get it under 1400 tris,is it possible to replace default suit? Because this is basicly default one,I've kept all bones and skin modifier on,so hopefully it deforms well. I've seen some spy suits on workshop,and they don't look like they just added some floating geo,or modeled over default one... On the other hand,I don't see option to hide it in importer... Also,ignore colors for now,they are overlays to just get general idea.

Someone a while ago had a workshop item that replaced the arm models of the soldier. They said they used the .qc code from the Zombie Skins, which makes the model override the default mesh. I've looked at the .qc for it though and I can't figure out what it was. I don't remember the name of the item but it was rolled up sleeves for the soldier. If you find it let me know, I have a few items on the back burner that I wanted to do the same thing to.
  • Jukebox
    Sure,hope you do vice versa,if you find out how to do that.

Found it. However, it did it differently than I thought.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=131553149&searchtext=

He took the texture for the Soldier model, made an alpha layer and whited out the areas that conflicted. Then added
    $alphatest 1
    $nodecal 1
    This made the model invisible wherever the alpha layer was applied.

Forum thread on the workaround:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/131553149/864961721958843498/

So unless Valve changes the Importer to allow more stuff, any item you make won't be Gold Star'd. And I'm thinking Valve is only going to implement Gold Star items.

That being said, you can still do it for fun.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah yeah, I did that for my pyro's Statue of Liberty feet. Just alpha'ed the feet for testing, then every pyro in game had no feet :D
  • Jukebox
    Okay, thanks to Ermfish for helping me out with my paint and glow problem. He recommended that I assign 2 materials to my mesh, one for the diffuse map and the second for the paint and glow. Still can't tell with the importer tool if it's glowing or not but the paint works just fine with it. Need to test it out in game to see.

Also, been working on Halloween set for the Medic, really excited about it.
    aGUIJsS.png
    Kind of a Witch Doctor set.
    -Deer skull hat
    -Shrunken Head Necklace
    -Arm and Ankle bands

Only have the initial models at this point.
  • heinous
  • SANIN
    Offline / Send Message
    SANIN polycounter lvl 4
    Name suggestions please
    jfbb.png

Also my first time using sfm to make item screenshots :)

8dnp.png demo is a bit out of focus to keep attention to the item

9rty.png
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    SANIN, I'd love to see it jiggle! A video should help you in the Workshop as well.

Maybe you could find something better by using the word fugitive instead of prisoner, just a suggestion...

Good luck!
  • Jukebox
    SANIN wrote: »
    Name suggestions please

Also my first time using sfm to make item screenshots :)

demo is a bit out of focus to keep attention to the item

9rty.png

Django Chained

Because copyright shmopyright.
  • emrfish6
  • Zombinian
    Here is a quick concept sketch of a hat I plan on making (when I find the time).

The chains will most likely end up as a separate item because of their complexity, but the hair and feather will be the hat equip.

9671975092_93f4e5795f_o.jpg
  • snookypookums
    A beatnik inspired item for the spy. Original concept done by Deodorant.

Spy_TheDeadBeat_Promo_Small.jpg
  • heinous