Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Futuristic Props

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Wiktor polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys! Updating this post with the latest versions of my pieces with this theme.
Currently working on another piece. I'll post a picture of it once it's gotten somewhere. :)

This is the first piece, the Futuristic Furnace:
vyrypj.jpg

Ok, this is what I'm working on.. Haven't gotten far. Just boxing out the base mesh basicly. Only part that I'm almost ready to take into Zbrush is the device that the big cylindrical thing is attached to.

wrjt5d.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When you projected your normals from the high poly did you use the cage or an offset? It looks like it could be due to either a badly layed out cage or smoothing group issues in your low or highpoly during projection.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    that's tangent space normal mapping for you you could make those edges hard ( via smoothing groups if max user) and rebake your normal map that will resolve the marked issues but it will also generate well ... a hard edge !

only criticism i can offer despite that is that i think you bolted on metal plates are too round
    they look like they have melted thats something i see a lot on normal mapped props because people meshsmooth their stuff at some point but i don't think that should round of something that would be ruler straight in real life
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    svcoyle wrote: »
    When you projected your normals from the high poly did you use the cage or an offset? It looks like it could be due to either a badly layed out cage or smoothing group issues in your low or highpoly during projection.

I didn't use a cage when I baked it in XNormal. I used 0.1 offset.
    And I've tried most things I know when it comes to normals, but I can't fix it.. There are no floating vertises and there are no ngons. I'm really stumped here.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »
    only criticism i can offer despite that is that i think you bolted on metal plates are too round
    they look like they have melted thats something i see a lot on normal mapped props because people meshsmooth their stuff at some point but i don't think that should round of something that would be ruler straight in real life

You can reinforce your edges to maintain hard edges as in the image below

The left box has reinforced edges which maintains the shape of the cube (The last image shows the corner on how these edges are layed out) The second cube just uses chamfered edges which gives a rounder cube. And the last has no edge reinforcement which results in mush

hipoly.jpg

corner.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If I followed your advice I'd end up on a much higher polycount. :(
    At least if I understood you correctly.
  • svcoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No you only do that to your high poly to keep the hard edges. Your low poly would remain the same. It just for using mesh smooth etc. Can you post a render of your high poly model?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No you only do that to your high poly to keep the hard edges. Your low poly would remain the same. It just for using mesh smooth etc. Can you post a render of your high poly model?

Yeah, I know that. :)
    Sure thing, here it is.
    2njk1m8.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Problem solved!
    2hh0oqp.jpg
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    I like it, has a decent steampunkish feel to it. I'd use that to heat my place anytime.
  • EvilPixills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilPixills polygon
    I like it man. Your still getting some normal distortion around the top area, also parts on the left edge of the center unit with the hose. Also maybe thinking about a different surface type going around the center there, reminds me of tank tracks sorta. Maybe a coil of wires, or something. Just something to think about. Keep up the good work tho, looking forward to seeing textures.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    You can reinforce your edges to maintain hard edges as in the image below

The left box has reinforced edges which maintains the shape of the cube (The last image shows the corner on how these edges are layed out) The second cube just uses chamfered edges which gives a rounder cube. And the last has no edge reinforcement which results in mush

hipoly.jpg

corner.jpg

i know and that is what implied he should do to the metal plating
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby wrote: »
    i know and that is what implied he should do to the metal plating

What do you mean? I'm getting seriously confused here! :D
    If you mean I should enforce the edges on the highpoly, that's already been done. :O
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice design. Love the base.
    Any chance we can see how you have layed out your UV's?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice design. Love the base.
    Any chance we can see how you have layed out your UV's?

Thank you!
    I kinda stressed the high poly out yesterday, seeing as I was originally going to stockholm today, but now I'm not, so I have 1 more day to work on it, so I'm gonna be changing some stuff and add more details to the high poly.
    Sure thing! I'll post it as soon as I get to the uni. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a few changes.. Made the bottom more blobby. ^^ Felt it would make it feel more stylized.
    2qa8g42.jpg
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    you should defintiely fix that stuff

normals.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Early texture.
    2hozl1i.jpg
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice texturing Disting.:)

The parts that Neox mentioned, do you have those uv's layed out in a 'disc' shape? Could be causing that distortion.
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If its the normals causing that distortion at the top just go into photoshop and sort each channel out. Other than that looking good so far :)

Oh, we can see the inside of that grate and it is just the piping, maybe put a plane there with a texture so it doesn't just show the pipe.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    yea you need to paint out those scaloped edges in photoshop. its your normal not lining up with the edge. Its a simple paint out, just lay your uv's ontop of your normalmap as a guideline and paint. you also got areas messed up on the top vent thingy.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. I'll try to fix that normal map error with the advice you gave me! Thanks!
    2zss947.jpg
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow... ur texture job really makes it awesome

nice one
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    indian_boy wrote: »
    wow... ur texture job really makes it awesome

nice one

Thank you very much! :D
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright.. I think I'm done.
    Time taken: About 2 days.
    Polycount: 3533.
    vyrypj.jpg
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    looks great! the smoke fx really makes it look like a generator.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks interesting, what size maps are you using?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Lee3dee! I'm not into dynamics, but I'm fairly satisfied with the smoke. At least it does the job. :P
    For the render I used the work size textures which are 4096, but when I put them in the UT3 editor I'll use 1024x1024.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty cool. Is there any particular reason why you made it all one mesh and used no floating geo? There seems to still be some wobbly's on the normal map. I like the colours though.

Also, it seems there's some loops on the main large pipe at the top and the small steam pipe out the side that aren't needed?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 wrote: »
    Looks pretty cool. Is there any particular reason why you made it all one mesh and used no floating geo? There seems to still be some wobbly's on the normal map. I like the colours though.

Also, it seems there's some loops on the main large pipe at the top and the small steam pipe out the side that aren't needed?

It's not all one mesh. It's actually 4 pieces. The main piece, the large pipe, the small pipe and the tube.

The loop on the small pipe was put there to make it look more imperfect. Even though it didn't do much, it still changed a lot for the image as a whole.
    I'm not sure I understand which loop you mean on the large pipe. there are 3 loops that are needed for the large vent there.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Looks good man.

It has some distinct look, you kind of mixed the high-tech look, with the rustic look. it gives it a strange style, but I like it, It's different.

My only critics are the folow.
    You could have worked on the low poly mesh a little bit more, there's many loops in there that I would have definitely removed for polycount sake. (some of the examples on the following pic, marked by red lines)

The texture is nice, but it could really be improved with a lot more grundge, rust and burnt metal.

12343eb.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you very much for the paintover [HP]!
    I'll look it over once I get home again. Right now I'm in Stockholm on my laptop, so I don't have access to my workfiles, so I'm working on another piece in this theme.
    Some of the loops you marked can't be deleted without loosing some detail, but I'll definately loose some of them! I'm pretty satisfied with ending up at 3533 tris though. Definately within the UT3 props range. Or am I wrong? I'm 100% sure. ^^
    Anyways. I'm working on another piece right now. We'll see how that ends up. Gonna use this thread for it.

Thank you all once again. Your crits have really helped me!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, this is what I'm working on.. Haven't gotten far. Just boxing out the base mesh basicly. Only part that I'm almost ready to take into Zbrush is the device that the big cylindrical thing is attached to.

xnstpz.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Pretty nice dude.

After that, how do you make your low poly mesh? you use the same base mesh you used for the high poly and work it so It's acceptable to bring ingame? Or use a polycruncher apps on the high poly mesh?
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] wrote: »
    Pretty nice dude.

After that, how do you make your low poly mesh? you use the same base mesh you used for the high poly and work it so It's acceptable to bring ingame? Or use a polycruncher apps on the high poly mesh?

I usually take the 1st or 2nd division from Zbrush and reduce until the polycount is low enough for in-game. That's usually what I do for simple shapes.
    For more organic and fluid shapes I usually make the object live and use create polygon and append to polygon to create the low poly. :)
    It all depends on the complexity of the high res model.

Any ideas for this model? At the moment I'm just freestyling, so any ideas would be really helpful. If anyone would like to make a basic concept or a paintover I'd be absolutely thrilled!!
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks mate.

About ideas, I don't know man, high tech look can be really a pain to get a special look without making it feel generic.

Maybe take a look at doom3 machinery.
    469881_20040804_screen018.jpg
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    you still have those lumpy normal errors. those need to be fixed before you call it done. as stated before its just a simple paint fix in photoshop.

like the texture work, but i feel it could use a little more dirt on the white part at the bottom, seems to clean. and the L shaped pipe on the left texture isnt working for me. dont really get what kinda of material that is suppose to be and if thats white crap on a bronze wipe or rust on a white pipe.

finally i think you could remove some loops in that hose in front. seems like there are quite a few unesseary loops eating polys.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon wrote: »
    you still have those lumpy normal errors. those need to be fixed before you call it done. as stated before its just a simple paint fix in photoshop.

like the texture work, but i feel it could use a little more dirt on the white part at the bottom, seems to clean. and the L shaped pipe on the left texture isnt working for me. dont really get what kinda of material that is suppose to be and if thats white crap on a bronze wipe or rust on a white pipe.

finally i think you could remove some loops in that hose in front. seems like there are quite a few unesseary loops eating polys.

Hey! Thanks for the input!
    I would change those things right away, but I needed to wrap things up, seeing as I was going away to my gf, so I don't have the files I'm afraid.
    I might revisit it and fix it up when I get back home, but for now I'm gonna keep it as it is, seeing as I'm satisfied with the outcome, and I also wanted it to be a 2-day-project. I know it might seem like a stupid idea to stress things out, but I can honestly say that I'm learning a lot from smaller projects that take shorter time, than I do from projects that I spend weeks on. On each project I'm confronted by new challenges.
    I'm not saying that I don't care that it's not perfect. Trust me, if I had all the time in the world, I'd make everything I do perfect. But I've only been working with 3d for about 14 months and I'm learning something new on each project as I said before.
    Yikes! This turned out as a really long post!

Anyways, thank you for the C&C Autocon! Even if I don't change it on the furnace, I'll look out for those mistakes in the future. :)

[HP], that's funny! I used that prop as the base idea for my own model. I'm just hoping I'm not making it too similar. I'm trying to get some of my own design ideas in there, but it's really hard to do when I can't draw even if my life depended on it.
    Anyways, I'll keep looking for references!
    Thanks for helping!
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update.. Just tuning things up before I bring it into Zbrush.
    4kcvt1.jpg
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    it looks like that thing can come down any moment.. that thing with al the hinges and stuff that attaches it to the wall looks way too fragile/thin/small
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    it looks like that thing can come down any moment.. that thing with al the hinges and stuff that attaches it to the wall looks way too fragile/thin/small

I'm thinking about adding 2 more hinges that will go on the sides. Just trying to come up with a good design. :)
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some support under the main device. Also added the framework for the to-be-chair.
    Gonna be awesome to start sculpting this! Can't wait.
    My teacher said that this would be good to work on for the course that just started at uni, so I've got a 4 week time frame to finish this up.

2jepa1x.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, another update.
    121ekco.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, taken it into Zbrush and I've been sculpting for about 30 minutes.
    de73ph.jpg
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update. Getting close to the result I'm after.
    4vg5qw.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    what exactly did you sculpt ? looks nice btw.
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    what exactly did you sculpt ? looks nice btw.

Sockets, bolts, tiles etc. Mainly small details. :)
    Will also add wear & tear with alphas when I'm done with the details.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    subdiving to sculpt something that could be done with floating geo is very nonsense :) also detailing like scratches etc can be done when you are texturing, and use crazybump to give scratches, dents etc . just make the lowpoly and generate normals, this is a really nteresting piece of machinery ^^
  • Wiktor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    subdiving to sculpt something that could be done with floating geo is very nonsense :) also detailing like scratches etc can be done when you are texturing, and use crazybump to give scratches, dents etc . just make the lowpoly and generate normals, this is a really nteresting piece of machinery ^^

Thank you!
    That's one way of doing it. This is my workflow. :)
  • torontoanimator
    hi there! i just wanted to say i really loved this prop! it look futuristic without being completely illogical as many futuristic props I've seen tend to be. I actually had a question for you, Im trying to post a bmp file of an envirment i just modeled, but since im new to the site i have no clue how to do it, would you mind helping me? id really appreciate it