Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

C&C on my last work

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DanaosC polycounter lvl 5
Hello everyone! I am super new to this amazing community so please excuse any mistakes I make regarding the rules in advance.

So I am an aspiring 3D Artist and my passion has been making games. It's been quite recently i've stepped into the 3D World and I'd like to present some of my recent 3D works so you guys can give me some constructive critisism.

game_asset___red_by_danaosc-d9a6n6l.png

game_asset___void_suit_by_danaosc-d985co8.png

game_asset___meiko_the_spirits_medium_by_danaosc-d96bhfh.jpg

Here are 3 of them, dont hesitate to be rough with it of course, I am not very experienced with the 3D world but i'll do my best!
Feel free to view these models online here:

http://danaosc.com/Marmoset/RedScene.html
http://danaosc.com/Marmoset/Void%20Suit.html

Replies

• TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Welcome to Polycount, DanaosC!

Anatomy

All three of your characters have very clear anatomical problems. Your legs for one tend to be on the short side. Heads seem a tad large in comparison to the body.

Use as many references as possible. Lookup anatomy books and online resources that can help you get a better understanding of how the body is shaped. For starters try to look at parts of the body in relation to another, e.g head to overall height, hand to head, etc.

Anatomy to me, is one of those things that you need to keep practicing on from character to character to get right. Take note on the underlying structures of the body, rather than just how it looks from the outside. Eventually you'll get there!

When you first start out, use other artists' concepts.

If there is one thing that I want implanted in my head when I first started 3D, is that modelling and designing concepts are two vastly different practices.

A lackluster concept can be a huge hindrance to your 3d modelling. By using good concepts from other artists, you get to work with concepts that have been thoroughly explored and researched on. A good quality model will look bad if the original design is lacking to start with.

However if designing is something you also want to improve on, consider drawing/researching seperately. 3D is a rigid medium at the momeent compared to traditional drawing even with incredible software like Zbrush. Remember you do not need to bring a design to full 3d completion to communicate your concepts. A detailled concept sheet is more than enough to pitch the essence of a character to someone else.

The good news is joining Polycount is a huge step forward in bringing your work further! Keep creating, post them here, get critiques, repeat, and your skills will most definitely skyrocket from here on.

Gl Hf!
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tom and thank you so much for the warm welcome!

Anatomy is always one thing I think I nailed but then it seems I didn't :P
    It's sad as I don't really see it myself, even when they are very clear but that's why I need to keep going. I'd like to mention that the first one is supposed to be a child, at least a young teen. I researched and found the head is a bit larger compared to adults. Not an excuse of course just a side note.

Regarding the 2nd part of your answer, I am actually using Concept Art from all my work because as you I said I also believe that's the way to improve at first.
    Allow me to post the art links:
    http://wildweasel339.deviantart.com/art/Red-3-Character-Concept-459515191
    http://robertdamnation.deviantart.com/art/Void-II-367710365
    http://side34.deviantart.com/art/Meiko-437251828

Thank you so much for your advice and feedback, I'll take everything into consideration and keep improving!
    Truth is I should have joined sooner, but better late than never~
    Is it ok if I keep updating this thread with new works and get feedback on them?

Thanks again and have an awesome day!
    -Dan
  • Umesh-Sirohi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Umesh-Sirohi polycounter lvl 5
    Sorry about that, I am new to this "creating threads" stuff.

Your models are great by the way.
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm, I don't want to come off as rude but you may have posted in the wrong thread.
    I opened this one to get critics on my work, would you please be so kind and delete your post and start a new thread?
    Thanks a lot!

Oh don't mind it at all, I myself am super new as well.
    Thanks a lot, I also loved the composition you posted, hope you take it where you want it :) Cheers mate!

Edit: Replying to the edit above.
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Regarding the face of the first character here are some things you can improve:

1. Looking at the concept, it seems to be based of Maisie Williams. Put together a reference sheet of every angle of her face. Google images might get you some but not all the angles you need. Watch GoT and printscreen the rest.

2. Overall the head shape is to narrow. The corner of the jaw needs to be wider and the cheeks need to be fuller.

3. Regarding smaller forms the eyes and lids need the most work. A lot of the time you should be able to see the roundness of the eyeball in the bottom lid. In yours the bottom lid is too flat. The eyes also look strange because they are missing the tear duct and the crease of the lid is too soft and does not follow the form correctly. (Putting together a good reference sheet will make these things much easier)

Best of luck
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for your time and feedback mate.
    Yes indeed she is based off of Maisie Williams althought I didn't want to follow exactly her face.
    Actually the author did an overpaint of the render and gave me some feedback he said the same about the eyes. Truth is in my characters I didn't take care of the eyelid at all! I'll make sure I nail that in the future :)

Thanks once again, have a great day! :)
    -Dan
  • DanaosC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update! Here's my latest work, all feedback is appreciated!
    One thing I want to ask is why does it have such a baby face? I mean at the sculpt it looks more mature and fierce, what did i do wrong in the Texturing part?

game_asset___alien_shaman_by_danaosc-d9ckht1.png

AlienMeshWIP_zpswppjc0wo.png