Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Female Character

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
KristaW polycounter lvl 9

Latest Progress:

Start of WIP Thread:

Starting a thread on my next character. It's been a while since I've posted here so this should be fun

My intention with this character is to become more comfortable with the hair plane workflow, to incorporate marvelous designer into my process, and to improve the quality of my clothes sculpting in general. Her outfit will be fairly simple: v-neck t shirt, long flannel, puffy vest, leggings, and snow boots. She is Inupiat and in her 20's

Replies

• Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Subscribed! I'm really excited to follow your progress here. It's so awesome to see some different body shapes represented here.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Carabiner, thanks for the sub and I will try to not disappoint!

@TeriyakiStyle, Hey! I love your work so it's an honor to have you pop into this thread! No puffy jacket yet but it's coming and it will be as fun as I imagine :D

Sorry about the delay between posts! I had some major (but good) life changes roll my way and it has kept me extremely busy. I feel like I have finally made enough progress to put up another post. I still have a lot to get done, such as attaching sleeves to the button up.
    I'm wondering about how I will get the leggings to simulate with the boots. I was thinking about sculpting them and then create a basic cylinder in Marvelous to act as a stand-in for the simulation. I'm open to other suggestions if there is another way. And I'm not totally sold on these leggings. Once I finish the button up I will probably revisit their pattern to get a better fit.

Here she is:

full%20body_zpstfjnlw7k.jpg

body_comp.jpg

Critiques and comments are always welcome.
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    great progress!
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    It's good seeing a different body shape being done.

I agree with you, I'm not entirely sold on the leggings either. I think it's the folds in the knee area. Great work so far, though :)
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    The weird folds around the knees are caused by the improper shape of the 2D pattern inside Marvelous Designer. The shape of the pattern should closely follow and wrap around the shape of the 3D avatar, which is especially true for jeans. I suspect that the patterns should have a small depression around the knees to tighten the area.

Besides, the 2nd layer shirt seems to carry over compression folds from the shirt underneath, which doesn't make much sense, at least not to that extent. Did you by any chance freeze the first shirt while simulating the 2nd?

Another thing that becomes especially apparent when simulating clothes for a fat person is that MD doesn't tighten the avatar skin under the pressure caused by the garments that are wrapped around. The bra straps should sink into her skin and should by no means protrude and be visible under the 3rd layer of clothing. You'd have to have a pretty good idea of the character even before modelling the base mesh that you would use as an avatar in order to account for all the effects mentioned.

I personally love MD, it's such an amazing piece of software, but it's not magic.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dan! Thank you kindly

@Chantel-sky, Thanks! Yes the folds in the knee and the crotch bug me the most and definitely need to be addressed.

@apllana. Thanks so much for all of the input! When I redo the the leggings I will look up patterns for jeans as well so I can get a better fit :)

I did freeze the shirt underneath, good eye. I will unfreeze and run simulation again to get a less rigid result.

I totally agree with you about the skin needing to be tightened.. After I made her underwear I brought her into zbrush and re-sculpted the areas around her underwear but I totally neglected the bra strap! I will definitely revisit that. Is it possible to slip in a different avatar in the middle of the Marvelous designer project? I guess I will find out :D Either way there will need to be adjusting of the garments and character after I get them out of Marvelous Designer.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again,

Another long stretch between posts but I have made progress. I changed the default pose to a more relaxed stance. This helped with the cloth simulation on the sleeves and it will work better for her animation purposes. I also did a bunch of "behind the scenes" work on her base mesh changing some of the proportions and making it so her skin reacted to the bra and underwear she is wearing. I feel about done with the Marvelous Designer part and I am happy to be popping back into ZBrush for more art and less math.

My next plans:
    Make Boots
    Extract Pants
    Fiber mesh the furry part of her collar
    Redo Hair
    Sculpt more details into clothes and character.

As always, critiques and comments are very welcomed :D

wM9jb1b.jpg
    JO75RIK.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was able to sneak in more work. I have almost finished the shoes. Some detailing is still missing and I probably should do another pass on the fur but I like how it reads with the overall character.

Next up: Pants! Then finer folds and details on the clothing. And then finer detailing on the body. And I was thinking about using nanomesh used with polygroups and plane geo for the hair...But then there is always the issue of unwrapping a shit ton of planes.

As always critiques, comments, and suggestions are very welcome.

PyFWWN1.jpg

CLfCjgS.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made some pants and did another pass on the hair. I feel like I have been string at this for too long so if there is anything that is starting to look off, please let me know.

Next up: I think I need to do another pass on the hair. Now it looks too thin. in the way it's laying even though there are a shit tom of planes. Then I really need to get into the marvelous-designer-made clothes and push them further with memory wrinkles, stitching, buttons, and zippers. And the body desperately needs a detail pass now that the clothes are this detailed.

Critiques, comments, and suggestions are always welcome.

7tI0IQX.jpg

T0E9qc6.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello.

Back again with some work done and some changes. I spent a lot of time making sure the hair planes would work and ended up doing these ones in Maya, unwrapped, so I could see exactly how they would behave. I went ahead and did a lot of sculpting on top of my MD puffy jacket. I've also secretly hated that button down shirt for a while so I made some new clothes that fit the original aesthetic I was aiming for. I like it better but please let me know what you guys think. 

I still need to sculpt more on the actually body and face. I think that I have also overworked the sleeves and will have to rework them. But before I go to far forward I figured I would update this with the changes I made.

Critiques, comments, suggestions, insane ramblings, and cookies are always welcome.

• KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. I'm back with some stuff. 

The more I looked at the fibermesh for the boots and collar the more I hated it. I sculpted some long fur for the boots and some short lambs wool for the collar. Let me know if they aren't reading that way. I wanted to make them less cheesy and noisy.

I also finally did a detail pass at the body. After working on her face I decided to stop and wait to do pores until I retop and reproject. I prefer to make a mouth box during the retop process and l want to make the finest details after I know I won't be projecting anymore.

I also did a quick value color fill. That could change but I mostly wanted to get a feel for the separation of the clothing and how that might start to look after I begin the texturing. 

I would love any critiques and/or comments. Thanks for taking a peak!

• Charlie23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Charlie23 polycounter lvl 10
    Krista this is Beautiful!
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Charlie! Thanks so much ^.^ 
  • RabbitBrains
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RabbitBrains polycounter lvl 7
    The detail on the boots are looking great! And the detail on the polyester down coat is fantastic. I like the under shirt change so its more baggy and looks natural on her. Can't wait to see it progress. :)