Home Quixel Megascans

IN PROGRESS: Quixel Crash (PS CC 2014)

Hi, I have searched the internet and some threads and still can't find a way passed Quixel crashing.

On first run, NDO and DDO icons give a registration form to submit key. When I submit them they hang and after a long while the window closes.

When I then click on NDO or DDO Quixel simply crashes and gives the following error. Please could somebody assist in this regard. Thanks

Quixel_crash.jpg

Replies

• Fedral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll bump this cause I have the exact same problem but with CS 5.1. Tried both 1.6 and 1.7.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm experiencing the same issue on CS6 with both 1.6 and 1.7b.

Also, launching 3DO produces the following error:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8002801D): Library not registered.
    (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8002801D (TYPE_E_LIBNOTREGISTERED))
  • leoferlandlabbe
    Hi there

I have a similar problem.

When I launch the Suite it asks me, always, to register, then it load, the window close and I can use quixel (but I do not seems to be registered since the countdown to the 30 days trial keeps running down... I bought the suite tough :P )

Also, 3DO never preview my mesh, only a primitive with high relfectivity and no textures.

Every time I close the SUite, this appears :

1c2c2f3
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the reports guys, I'm very sorry about the hassle. We're currently looking into what is causing this and have a potential fix on the way. We'll make a new preview release in a few hours and are hoping this will solve this issue for you.

Thanks everyone,
    - Teddy
  • Stenhock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We look forward. Thanks Teddy.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No worries, thanks in advance!
  • leoferlandlabbe
  • ag1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there
    I have the same problem, purchased quixell suite yesterday and still haven't managed to get it working. Keeps crashing every time I open it. Has anyone found a solution for this?
    I am on cs5 and quixell 1.6
    Thanks
  • ag1234
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone got it working?
  • rupee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i started a thread 2 days after this one, and its good to see that there is awareness about it. Ill follow this htread.

but yes i have the same problem =D

but i am using CS5

EDIT: would any of you be happening to use a new laptop or computer? Because quixel suite was working fine for me. and then i decided to do a factory restore on my laptop (essentially new laptop) and then i installed photoshop then quixel suite and thats when i started getting the error in the original post.
  • rupee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just updated to 1.7 through the launcher updater, and still get the crashes mentioned in the first post =/
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for keeping us posted. After a great deal of digging and live troubleshooting the most common cause of these crashes is anti-virus applications and the Windows firewall. Feel free to let us know if you've tried disabling such applications, and if this has any effect on the crashes.

Thanks again,
    - Teddy
  • rupee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    Ok so i did quite a few things. I uninstalled PS CS5 and downloaded the trial version of PS CC (the latest version). And quixel suite worked with it, and that was with my anti-virus on. So then i installed PS CS5 and tried launching suite, and the error comes up (orginal image). Then i tried opening PS CC and the same error came up and crashes.

Then, i uninstall PS CS5 and uninstall quixel suite, (i leave PS CC alone), and reinstall quixel suite. And the Suite worked fine again with PS CC.

So it seems to be that there are pathing and compatability issues?

Thanks for the reply Teddy.
  • MudBocx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, I'd like to jump into this discussion if i may. I have another error and the suite crashes (on different occasions, first launch was a crash as well).

I'd like to point out, that I intent to buy the software, but without the ability to test anything there is no point at the moment.
    MpQvHS8
    Software used: Photoshop CC
  • zy2zd3zx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fc13ef5bd5c61f67c9c76ef8ff6e312c.jpg
    same problem here with PS CC 2014
    When I load a ID MAP ,it crash every times.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still experiencing the same issue with the latest 1.7 build, CS6 as host.

Sadly it doesn't make any difference whether antivirus software or firewall is disabled.
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gash, I feel SO stupid now! I was reading the Quixel troubleshooting section one more time, to be precise the part about the installation folder usage permissions, when it occurred to me that sometimes Windows UAC can be very picky about folder usage permissions. Now you guys probably guess the rest...

After running Quixel as an administrator it works perfectly!

That's probably also why antivirus software can sometimes cause issues in case it prevents access to the folders on the system drive. Something you really ought to keep your eye open for in case of any issues.

Sorry for the unnecessary hassle, Teddy.
  • teddybergsman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you mindflux for sharing the solution! This is not obvious at all, and should in the best of worlds not even be an issue, so no need to feel stupid!

With 1.8 (due tonight) hopefully the other start up crashes reported in this thread should be fixed as well.

Thanks again,
    - Teddy
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Thanks mindflux! I had the exact same crash with 1.8 cs5 on windows 8.1 and even re-installed twice! Just turned the desktop shortcut to run as admin and it works! :)
  • mindflux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great to hear you got it sorted out! At least in my case I had the issue even if the suite was installed in the default location which is also why it wasn't obvious to suspect UAC would play foul.

Always check and then double-check :)
  • mindblowz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i still have the same issue, i have read the installation guide (http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php?id=install)
    Now my nDo works but my dDo makes it crash. Even though i run it as a admin it still crashes. I am currently using the 1.8 on win 8.1. I reinstalled multiple times but still crashes.
  • connor911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My quixel crashes on every computer I have tried (3) at home and at school. I contacted quixel support twice with no response and I have a deadline coming up and will fail an assignment all because of this quixel bullshit.

http://postimg.org/image/9qfh265q5/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Midblowz / Connor911 - Hi, here are a few solutions for the crash:

Run as admin (Looks like you both tried this)
    Make sure there are no non-alphanumerical characters in the install path of the suite
    English PS (Not just language but English install)
    Disable any antivirus or similar programs that might block the suite

Try these steps and let me know what happens!
  • Robby13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I keep receiving an error message when I try adding a ID map to DDO. I tried running as admin, re-installing, disabling antivirus, and even downgrading to try an earlier release with no luck.

New to the forums so I'm not sure how to add images but here is what the message says:

The SUITE has crashed. Restarting.
    Error message: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: StartIndex at System.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

there is a lot more, I would upload but I an unaware on how to add images.

Here is a link though!
    Here is a link: http://pbrd.co/1Gbprmo

1Gbprmo
  • MudBocx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, me again. I think I forgot my attachment in the other post and it was just overlooked that way. Maybe it helps now to fix problems.

I'd also like to ask if there is something like an extended trial for the people that had constant crashes and weren't able to test anything after a 2 GB download (which is disappointing to be honest).

Another suggestion too:

could you please make the 'update window' minimize-able. It's really no use at all to have that always on top, when trying to download the newest update. That just drives me nuts (I wonder why you didn't realize that up until now.)

And is there a way to make the updates smaller or at least provide split up files? I'm just trying to download every updated version of the suite to find out if the errors have gone away (I'm on a slow connection and 2 GB is a huge deal every time).

Thanks in advance.
    Leo/MBCX
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi!

Good suggestions all around I must say, Im not a programmer so I cant say if the updates can be smaller but I can give that feedback to Teddy!

PM about extended trial and we will sort it out :)
  • Louhikarme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louhikarme polycounter lvl 4
    ddo crashing too. i'm using photoshop cc 2014
    in my case i try to create new project and when i insert the color id textures it crashes.
    i've already tried following:
    disabled antivirus, set path to exlude list.
    re downloaded and installed quixel suite. (the path is just \data\quixel on d drive)
    checked java that its updated.

as for mesh, its just a cube and it even works in 3do. but as soon as i try to load the color idmap ddo crashes.
    _full.jpg
  • Chuck Tetakel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chuck Tetakel polycounter lvl 4
    I get the same error, though its only happening with PNG files. What helped me was trying some other formats. TIFF, JPEG, TARGA and directly PSD Files are working flawlessly for me.
  • Louhikarme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Louhikarme polycounter lvl 4
    I get the same error, though its only happening with PNG files. What helped me was trying some other formats. TIFF, JPEG, TARGA and directly PSD Files are working flawlessly for me.
    Thanks, seems that color id as TIFF works for me and ddo doesn't crash when loading it. so atleast my problem solved through that. :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chuck tetakei - thanks for suggesting this!

Louhikarme - If you want to use png, try flattening them and saving them without transparency, that should work!
  • wisebrownmonkey
    Hey guys,

I bought the Quixel suite and I am using version 1.8 with Photoshop Cc Windwos 7. I keep getting this error:

Qu0ChZL.jpg

Then the any app I uses crashes.

What happens is that i open up the suite, it says it throws up this error,I click okay, then says it can't find Photoshop, I direct it to Photoshop, it restarts, then the same error pop ups, but this time no need to restart Photoshop, I click on any of the apps, it crashes.

HGB2s6w.jpg

I've uninstalled, reinstalled, can a reg cleaner, disabled antivirus during install and ran as Admin ...the usual stuff and I still get the error.

thanks for the help.
  • wisebrownmonkey
    Figured it out. Re-installed Photoshop.
  • Mcbeardo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
    Hi

I dunno if ppl know this solution for this error.

error.png

At first when i read the forum on this i thought i had to allow ndo, ddo as admins
    I also had to allow SUITE.vshost be used as admin aswell.

Now the demo starts without locking up, or crashing.
  • ekul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all,

I fixed my crashing issue by right-clicking my Photoshop install folder, going to properties, unchecking Read-Only and running the Suite as an admin.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everybody for reporting all your solutions :)

Very appreciated!
  • shadowscrawl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robby13 wrote: »
    I keep receiving an error message when I try adding a ID map to DDO. I tried running as admin, re-installing, disabling antivirus, and even downgrading to try an earlier release with no luck.

New to the forums so I'm not sure how to add images but here is what the message says:

The SUITE has crashed. Restarting.
    Error message: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: startIndex cannot be larger than length of string.
    Parameter name: StartIndex at System.Substring(Int32 startIndex, Int32 length)

there is a lot more, I would upload but I an unaware on how to add images.

Here is a link though!
    Here is a link: http://pbrd.co/1Gbprmo

1Gbprmo

I am having this exact same problem. has anyone figured out an answer to this?
  • DonKannallie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have the same problem
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ifyou are having issues with the color ID map in DDO, make sure its a flattened PNG without transparency! That should do the trick!
  • Rylinn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rylinn polycounter lvl 7
    It crashes all the time :S
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rylinn a few thins to try if you haven´t done so already:

-Download the stability patch from here
    -Run The suite and PS as admin
    -make sure your PS is installed in english
    -Make sure there are no non-alphannumerical characters in the install path to the suite or your project
    -Make sure the scratch disks have plenty of space left on them

Does this error happen when you create your project or when you are working on a created project?
  • Argyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was super excited about this product, it looked just amazing, but the constant crashes and restarts have taken away the pleasures, and now just a tad disappointed, the NDO will constantly crash, with the same data as everyone else has posted, I use CS5.1 and no matter what document I bring into photoshop, and try to create a map, it crashes.

Have applied the updates, even when I try to register the product it crashes and resets.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Argyll sorry to hear about your problems, have you tried the suggestions I mentioned above?
  • Argyll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric, I don't have my Photoshop install program with me, so I will try it when I get home on Saturday, I'm sure it's something simple I'm overlooking, will keep you up to speed as it really does look a great program
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just let me know when you get back and we´ll take it from there!
  • IngBü
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EDIT: SOLVED (15 June 2015)

So while waiting for a response, I have since fixed my issues, here is what I did...

I realised my java installation might have been messed up, so I tried reinstalling it, the online java verification tool gave an error. I restarted my pc and did a couple of windows updates. When it restarted the java installation seemed to be fine.

I then also turned off my avast shields, and I reinstalled Photoshop, which by now, was no longer registering as installed in my Creative Cloud desktop app. I think this happened when I pressed Ctrl+Alt+Shit while starting up Photoshop and deleting my preferences, as recommended somewhere by a Quixel support staff.

I then ran the Quixel Suite setup as administrator and reinstalled Quixel in the original directory. I launched Photoshop as administrator, and the nQuixel Suite as administrator. And it worked.

===========================================
    Windows 7

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2014.2.2 20141204.r.310 2014/12/04:23:59:59 CL 994532 x64
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-bit
    Version: 6.1 Service Pack 1

Quixel Suite 1.8 (+ stability patch)
    ---

I have deactivated my Avast anti virus, and made firewall exceptions for the windows firewall. I have 'installed' the 1.8 stability patch. I have launched Photoshop CC (x64) as admin followed by the Quixel Suite, as admin. I have tried disabling read-only on my 'Adobe Photoshop CC 2014' but it keeps on changing back to read-only, but at least it changes the files to not be read-only any more...

I have tried all of the suggested solutions, yet I am still getting this error:
    " FAILED TO CONSTRUCT REFERENCE:
    System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800401F3): Invalid class string
    (Exception from HRESULT: .................. "

After I click 'OK', I need to 'Load the Photoshop.exe of your choice' every time... I load the correct and only Photoshop.exe I have. My Photoshop needs to be 'restarted', but it does not restart. I actually have to launch it again, as admin again. But before I do that, I have to end all of the Quixel tasks in my Task Manager (the Quixel toolbar is unresponsive and I cannot click on any of the buttons), as I cannot close the floating toolbar after Photoshop has exited.

I have 3 Quixel Applications in my Task Manager; 'Thinking...', 'Alert Window', 'SUITE'

I then launch Quixel Suite as admin again, and I receive the error, again, and the infinite cycle of error, load exe, restart, error... continues for infinity...

I can click on any one of the tools in the Quixel toolbar, which is giving me the same error, and leads to 'The Suite has crashed.Restarting.'

I am not sure what I am missing, please help. I purchased the suite 2 days ago, and I have not been able to use it at all...
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IngBü - this is due to the fact the the Suite for some reason can not connect to PS. Could you PM me your skype handle so we can contact you and do a remote bugfixing session?
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    I've been unable to really use Quixel Suite since I bought it two plus years ago due to the constant crashing and extremely slow performance. I've spent much of the last two days trying to really get it to work properly.

I'd love to know what the setup was in the promo & tutorial videos - what version of Photoshop do you use internally? What was the hardware specs of the machine you used to demo it with? Was the video cut or sped up during the script automation parts? Especially relevant to the old chainsaw tutorial since that one looks like it leaves the automation parts in the video.

I've tried on several versions of Photoshop (most recently CC 2015). My machine specs are:

i7 920 @ 3.8GHz
    18GB RAM
    SSD Evo for Scratch and PS

By watching the profiling tools in Windows 8.1 I notice that only 35% CPU usage and 11GB of RAM so I'm not sure where the bottleneck is. I'm willing to brute force this with hardware upgrades if it'll help.

To remedy the Crashing situation i've tried the following:

- added Quixel/Adobe/BakesFolder to exclusion of Avast
    - disabled Avast
    - set all relevant folders to Read-Only
    - set everything exe in Quixel to Admin (UAC is off)
    - updated to latest patch on here
    - upgraded to CC2015 after trying CC2014 pre patch

To remedy the Speed situation i've tried the following:
    - tried setting work res at lowest (sixteenth res)
    - tried starting with small textures eg 1024 source

The latest patches did stop a bunch of crashes but I'm getting these regularly:

quixel%20script%20crash%201.png

quixel%20script%20crash%202.png

And other messages such as "Unsharp Mask is Empty...This version of Photoshop does not have this functionality". I can't find information about which versions of PS you officially support but perhaps CC2015 has removed some stuff QS relies on.

quixel%20unsharp%20mask%20error.png

quixel%20cc2015%20error.png

I'm having 3D0 crash every ten or so commands though it's not a big deal as I can just relaunch it from the QS panel.

I'm currently installing CC2014 again to see if it's better with that. I read somewhere on Polycount yesterday that Quixel's efforts are solely focused on Megascans but whilst I appreciate you're going for new customers, it'd be nice to ensure your current software is properly supported. If it was *just* slow it'd be bad enough but unresponsive *and* crashing is a terrible combo.
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick Update. I've tested in CC2014 and still getting the "not supported in this version of PS" error. I'm installing CC and CS6 to see if they work better.

To cause the error:
    shift+left click a colour ID
    assign dirty worn leather smart material
    wait....
    error
  • pixeldamage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I've downloaded and tried CC2015, CC2014 and now the original CC which gives me the similar error
    quixel%20same%20error%20in%20original%20CC.png

Is no one checking these threads any more?

UPDATE:

CS6 has the same error
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixeldamage - The videos where captured on different machines, mostly on our main rigg, a 2-3000 dollar PC. Some videos where edited since we wanted to create a efficient learning material. But the speed issues you´re describing certainly does not sound normal.

as for "- set all relevant folders to Read-Only" I would not recommend this!
    otherwise here are a few things to try:

-Set PS as admin too
    -Make sure PS scratch disks have plenty of space
    -reset PS preferences (make sure to save any presets you want to keep first)
    -Set number of undo states to 1
    -Make sure there is plenty of diskspace on C:
    -install The Suite in the default location
    -Make sure there are no non-alphanumerical characters in the install path of the Suite or your project files

It looks from your crash dumps that there might be a problem with presets, have you tried using the "Clean Grey" preset in the base creator?