Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Sculpt - Plague Doctor Female

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
WIP. Mainly concentrating on the mask and hair for now. First attempt at hair, sort of threw myself into the deep end The braids have no detail yet, mainly because I'm still not sure how I feel about it. Want to feel good about the form first. Just wanting to get forms and pieces in there before adding wear/tear etc. Any feedback?

91ZReI6.jpg

Replies

• capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress, started going to the body and working on the shirt/frilly neck piece. So tricky, I think the neck piece is a great idea for the character but having difficulty making it look right.

MD8VJkf.png
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    Nice start! Is this all Zbrush?
    I think the angle between goggles is too wide, I am not sure how they would work.

Cheers!
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting point. I think I matched the actual mask quite closely as you can see in the reference. I could easily angle them in closer, I'll see if others bring up the same point and do that later if needed. Thanks for the feedback!
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the coat

NPr3t32.png
  • joecamotive
    I think the angle of the goggles is correct, it is the spacing between them that looks off. Looking at the bottom right photo in your reference, the goggles appear very close together. It looks like the top of the "beak" needs to be pinched together/more pointed as well.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the goggles a bit. Also, the forming of the character is about done (minus the trousers) and then it's just additions/extra care over existing forms.

Z84t0hs.png
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the trousers. My first attempt at sculpting folds, it's tricky. I'm generally pleased with how the trousers are turning out but something seems off? It's not a nice composition? Is it because the divide is bang in the middle perhaps? or are the legs too straight? Something seems off and I can't figure it out.

2i8L5QN.jpg
  • karytsukino
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    Hey! Nice style I really like the plague doctor design its very strong and inspire great charactrers... I think you did a great job so far, If I can critic anything, I'd say that her trenchcoat looks a bit bouffant, and maybe you could work a bit more on the folds in general to look more natural, I thinks its misssing some folds in the coat and in the pants they look a bit off...

Something that I use to help is this

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973793047205/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973791614878/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973791614874/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/391953973791614871/

I hope this could be helpful.

Great job anyway! Keep going! I'm looking foward to see it finished =D
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    This is great reference, have pinned them. Looking forward to posting an improved coat in the near future. Thanks so much!
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : Coat still isn't working out. Might need another design.

fVo4D23.png
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The traditional plague doctor (or at least the image that's become known today) usually wears a cassock or something similarly long and loose. I reckon giving your lady something that's conceptually similar if not necessarily identical - a trench-coat or medieval cape might work.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback, reworking the coat a bit.

Zazt1Sk.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more polish, really running out of tweaks to do and not getting much in terms of feedback so might wrap this up pretty soon.

jmh2dXJ.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid trousers. Tried stretching out the coat to be longer, there is something I like about it but also something about it is off. It makes the proportions seem more incorrect?

VaBRhN0.png
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Still fighting with this. Have really changed the upper half of the chest and where the trousers meet with the boots. I've brought down the subdivision of the jacket/skirt as I just can't get it right even in blockout form. Once I get those right I'll work on the folds etc.

hFcN5Z5.png
  • xxroxx
    Offline / Send Message
    xxroxx polycounter lvl 3
    ok, so I think the goggles need to be further adjusted. Try picturing a face behind it and compare where the eyes would reside and where de lenses are.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Coat still isn't complete and needs a lot of work (but added new cuffs) but have redone the trousers (which you can't really see because of the coat). Also the connection between bottom of trousers and the top of the boots. Still need to adjust the goggles slightly.

hPhXFTU.png
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Latest. Decided to change the pose since there is no plan for animation. By the way, she isn't fistbumping but will be later holding a lantern. Still some work to do

3Viovlo.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Update : Trying to get to grips with Keyshot so still a bit more work before final renders.

KSmzglZ.png
  • Francois_K
    Offline / Send Message
    Francois_K interpolator
    Not really feeling the goggles or the folds on her pants also the pose on her legs needs a little bit more work.

The mask below , look at the length difference between both eye goggle things and compare it to yours. Your character is almost blind and would have to look like a bird , angle her head to the side to see through the goggles essentially.

classic%2Bversus%2Briveted.jpg

She's basically walking with that lantern right , so her toes should be angled on the floor like she'dd be walking. Her right boot has folds even though she's not even walking and her left foot who is in motion has only a few, maybe I'm wrong , but it feels a bit strange.

b2.jpg

You should also look up some folds on heavy clothing such as this

I hope some of this helped.
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback Francois,

- Updated the goggles. They looked a bit uninteresting when closer together so I pointed them out a bit (keeping the same distance apart) to get a bit more of that dynamic look to it.

- Boots. Took out the folds on the foot that is landed. The folds were actually from when the character was in a Tpose, I never adjusted those folds based on the new pose. Good call.

- Folds. This is the first time I've had to deal with folds and yeah, I'm pretty terrible at it right now. I've been using reference and following tutorials but find it difficult to adapt to this figure. I feel part of it is down to the anatomy being off, it's not 100% clear where the kneecaps are for example. I've had another (unsuccessful) attempt at it. This will be something I need to keep practising in different situations until it becomes more natural to me.

5l7VnVb.jpg
  • capone
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished. Not bad for a first attempt at a human in zbrush but there are clearly issues with it that were way beyond me right now. The biggest mistake was creating it in Tpose, polishing all the details and then deciding to pose it. I should have posed it from the start at a very basic form and got it right before polishing.

Other than that, it's mainly a case of getting better at folds and sculpting clothes/humans.

sy2AFMz.jpg