Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Blacksmith!

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Anthricus polycounter lvl 5
Hey all!

This is a new piece i have started working on over the weekend as a break from work!

Im trying to emulate the style of the upcoming Fable Legends, as a massive fable fan for years hopefully i can do it justice with this fan art.

Gonna try and doodle up some awesome tattoo work to come run up from his arms so any ideas would be much appreciated.

C&C WELCOME!

(UPDATED!!) PROGRESS SO FAR:
Screenshot%202015-07-25%2018.33.56.png

Screenshot%202015-07-25%2018.34.33.png

Replies

• Earthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    nice! I love his rustic look he ha going, can't wait to see him textured

His arms look a bit thin!
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Interesting start! The cloth that you have on the arms is nice, but the bottoms of the pants isn't really working at the moment. Also, what's going on with the shoes?

And could we get a closeup of his face? It's hard to see exactly what's going on with it right now.
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    @earthyn thank dude :) make sure to keep checking back, il try and beef up his arms :)

@nickcomeau I am away from the PC at the moment but once I'm back I'll grab you a closeup of the face! :)

The shoes are meant to be rugged old boots with externally fitted steel toe caps. I think the toe caps look pretty horrible at the moment and are making it hard to read so I will have to rework them.

I definately agree with you about the trousers.

I think I might go back to the base mesh for them and start again.

Do you have any reference you could recommend on the trousers?

Cheers guys :)
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess I would do something like this? You're generally going to want a heavier material and jeans/overalls are usually pretty thick. Most of the blacksmith I've seen are wearing jeans. If you color this I would make them dark though.
    (Blacksmith reference)
    Blacksmith%20sm.jpg
    (Jeans reference)
    o-85551192-570.jpg?2
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for those piccies Nick, i definately agree they should look less like rubber and more like real jeans :D

Il try and work them over again from scratch this week and see where I end up.

Heres the close up on the head you wanted:
    Screenshot%202015-04-26%2008.12.08.png
    C&C Welcome as always!
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the jeans, finding it hard to really get the folds sitting right.
    Any tips guys?

Screenshot%202015-04-29%2021.53.24.png
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't be afraid to really dig into them. I think the reason that it is feeling stiff is because of how straight the silhouette still is on the pants. Take the pants that Mark is wearing on the reference I posted for example. Look at the silhouette there and how, while it is wavy, it cuts in a lot at other points.

Also, for the facial hair, I realized why it was looking a bit off to me. Right now the flow of the mustache just does straight out to the sides. I would think hair that short would probably just fall downwards (like the hair on the beard).
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post, sorry about the delay, I have been moving house but now im all settled and back to sculpting!

Heres my progress:
    Screenshot%202015-05-12%2019.45.02.png
    Reworked the trousers to make them a bit more puffy and believable but im still struggling a little. I have also reworked the forearms some to try and make the anatomy a bit more realistic!

C&C welcome as always!
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    hmm the jeans look a bit like they would float around the feet, have you looked up reference for not so tight trousers? they do sometimes touch the body and from there the folds expand, your folds are not so much a product of gravity and stiffness of the cloth they look more like a damaged tube

i know its girls but it may give you an idea how a bit stiffer and wide cloth would behave in certain poses.

619igT8n4yL._UL1500_.jpg
    asos-vintageblue-tailored-wide-leg-jean-in-vintage-wash-product-1-6563214-409243292.jpeg
    RAGA-WJ231_V2.jpg

also its super nice to look up stuff like that instantly... what do i need? wide stiff cloth trousers--> google "wide jeans" oder "wide trousers" will give some nice results :) since i found this nice pics in like 3mins...

same things going on at the shirt,... theres too many folds going on
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the critique i have tried to find some better reference to work from for wide jeans and have used the below piccy to make a quick (ish) update pass over the trousers!

Is this going in a better direction do you think?
    REF:
    2014-men-s-brand-designer-Loose-straight-jeans-Men-facings-male-wide-leg-jeans-boot-cut.jpg

UPDATE:
    Screenshot%202015-05-13%2020.46.10.png
  • nickcomeau
    Offline / Send Message
    The pants are looking a lot better!
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    After a long ish break i have started working on this again along with a few other bits. trying to fix the proportions and the finalise the trousers for now! C&C welcome as always!
    Screenshot%202015-06-21%2010.15.45.png
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Why does he have downvote buttons below his eyes?
  • 3dshay
    Shirt looks thick generally, but in this area the wrinkles belongs to a very thin fabrics.

A bit fix for the lower part of the arm, a bit too blob-like for now.

Good work man ;)
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet I wasnt going for downvote icons specifically but the tattooed under eyes is supposed to make him look intimidating. Do you think I should replace them with something a bit more meaningful to his character?

I'm open to ideas!

@3dShay thanks for the critique dude I will definitely try and sort out those areas the next time.

I do always struggle on my arm anatomy where the forearm joins the upper arm so I will go back to my reference and have a rework.

Thanks again guys please share if you have any more critique as always :)
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    designwise if you place it there it should have to do something with the personality or story of the character so you may want to reconsider the tattoos and try to match them with the characters story

@trousers looking a lot better, but give them a bit harder edges the fabric is stiff to an extent and wont flow so it kind breaks instead of behaving like dropped spaghetti
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Anthricus wrote: »
    @lotet I wasnt going for downvote icons specifically but the tattooed under eyes is supposed to make him look intimidating. Do you think I should replace them with something a bit more meaningful to his character?

yes, absolutely, make it a hammer or an anvil or something.
    looks pretty awesome otherwise, love what you did with the beard btw.
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    yes, absolutely, make it a hammer or an anvil or something.
    looks pretty awesome otherwise, love what you did with the beard btw.

Quick tests tonight havent had much time to play around but i was thinking of doing something like a coat of arms / shield.
    Heres a few quick options but i am not really feeling either of them yet.
    Screenshot%202015-06-23%2020.02.43.png

Screenshot%202015-06-23%2020.04.40.png
    This image shoes some abadements which knights had put on their shields after they commited a crime or did something unknightly.

I want to use these to give him a dark mark in his history which changed him from being a chivalrous knight into the local beefcake blacksmith.

Abatements.jpg

Input welcome as always!

Thanks for all the tips I am just beginning to rework the shirt so that it looks lighter and will then move on to give the trousers some more stiff peaks so they appear correctly.
  • DavidCruz
    Offline / Send Message
    DavidCruz interpolator
    cool symbolism stuff, i would't know what to make but i like the idea, thanks for sharing that info now i understand why your covering the eyes with these symbols.
    Everyone else has the other areas covered. :)
  • skodone
    Offline / Send Message
    what about not taking the whole shiled but only the fill? like only the axeshaped form of the top right or the middle one.. so you have the tattoo and the symbol even though the symbolism is not obvious from first glance which is good. theres a story behind the tattoo then... and if somebody asks what its about you have the perfect answer

that would accent the eyes nicely and not break the form so much like this... what about just tattooing one eye? super perfectly syymetrical tattoo looks unrealistic....
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Everyone, Sorry about the slow update rate work has been hectic!

Heres an idea i had using the gusset sinnister abatement fill shape. I think it looks pretty cool and a I like the idea of adding some asymmetry with a tattooed eyeball.

Screenshot%202015-07-01%2017.52.58_1.png
    Thoughts? If anyone fancies doing a paintover please dont be shy!

Cheers Guys :)
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    A lot better! I like the new shape, but I think its pretty much impossible to tattoo an eyeball though xD
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    A lot better! I like the new shape, but I think its pretty much impossible to tattoo an eyeball though xD

Thanks dude glad you like it more :)

On the eyeball thing, I had a google before making the changes and found some nutters in prison who had done it. Not exactly a normal thing to stumble upon but google is dangerous :P

I think for my Blacksmith it will be more a sign of the pain/ punishments he recieved in the past rather than something to show off.

Check it out :
    _80303670_jbarnum_ap624.jpg
  • Shiv
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    ha posted same image as above
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! Finally got some time on my hands to have another go at the shirt folds etc.
    Screenshot%202015-07-13%2018.04.28.png
    Hopefully im starting to get the folds to look a bit more natural for the short sleeve shirt i am trying to go for.

Im not sure whether to give it a thick pattern or weather to make it out of a finer cloth when i finally get around to texturing this bad boy :)

C & C Welcome & Needed as always guys!
    Think I am gradually starting to improve but there is a lot further to go!
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the double post!
    Just adding a quick close up on the current shirt detailing :)
    Screenshot%202015-07-13%2020.41.29.png
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update here guys started going in for some detail and asymmetry on the face, trying to achieve something similar to that seen in the upcoming Fable Legends (Example Below):
    Screenshot%202015-07-19%2007.57.38.png

Here's a close up of my updated face detailing and an overall shot:
    Screenshot%202015-07-25%2018.34.33.png

Screenshot%202015-07-25%2018.33.56.png

C&C Welcome as always!

Thanks for the support so far guys.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks great! had no idea you could tattoo an eyeball, can you even see after something like that?
    would love to see some more like the stylized stuff in the beard on other parts of the sculpt though.
  • Anthricus
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet I think they only tattoo the white of the eye so you can still see but it doesnt look like something id like to try :P

What parts of you think i could stylise more so? I am going to use the planar cut brushes to go over the hammers and sharpen off the edges a bit more so hopefully that may add to that stylised look but I'm not really sure what else to do.

I agree that at the moment the rest of the body/ clothing doesnt quite fit with the beard & face. Maybe polishing up a a lot of the soft looking edges on the clothing may help?

Thanks again dude! glad your liking it more so now!