Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

red headed warrior chic

kornetic
vertex
Offline / Send Message
kornetic vertex
Edit: new finalized version

hello polycount, i love red heads 3. heres a WIP shot of her with base textures. I based the armor off of the image Knight by tahra.

YbeLEDSpng

iUZRAkfpng

this is my first char and so far its been very frustrating

latest V.

baqsiaOpng1

Replies

• Grubber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    This is good. I would like to see the concept, as the crotch area kinda looks naked, she could use some pants :)
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    You should post a link to the concept. That would help people give you guidance. No idea if hotlinking is allowed but here goes:
    knight_by_tahra.jpg
    I like the back view of your model. The pelvic mound area is kind of distracting atm and I think that has to do with the naked bits either side of the pantie crotch. The concept has less covering but it seems to work because it is in harmony with the character. The base figure has a rhythm that ties it together. Its expressive and you chose a really nice concept. The costume is more coordinated in the concept and has bigger more expressive details that add to the visual flow. You have done a fine job of modeling parts but the smaller details look finicky and lack power. The colour palette of the concept is also stronger and makes the figure more a single entity.

The physical attributes of the character you have modeled are a bit under whelming and could use more character to help her communicate.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers

Dang I think I got the wrong one! Curse you google search.
    aca35c94fb3fca95fb15dc3512dad56e.jpg
    Is this it?
    I think it is. Anyhow check out the power of the figure! Kind of bangarang :) Very heroic, small head small hands, huge pelvic area, nice colour palette. Here the abdominal part of the costume ties over with the pelvic part but it is more like you have it. Maybe experimenting with base figures (if you have a sculpt application) would help as well.
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    thanks kanga the feedback was really helpful. And yeah grubber lol i think im gonna widen her one suit thing so shes a little more covered up.
    So far I've done some detailing on the armor, still have to fix some shadow problems coming from the normal map. Also i gave her some pouches.

FxugBgt.png?1

I also went and opened up her mouth and and hopefully fixed her face a little.

old

BbmTM72.png

new

vhQ9D5o.png

next i plan on fixing up her waist area and im trying to decide what kinda weapon i wanna give her. maybe a claymore or shield and spear
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Her neck seems to be wider for a female character. I would say to work on her nose as well. Those are the only 2 things that I think stands out as not feminine.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Everyone does the teeth showing thing nowadays so it's not really that special. Work on making the mouth appealing on its own first, then crack them open a bit to show the teeth.

If you're going to hack a character that's half-naked, you have to make sure your underlying anatomical forms are accurate, flow well, and are attractive.

What's there now seems tube-like. Fit women, or women with a healthy amount of fat layers, still have defined forms in the areas you show.

The hair needs to be thickened and styled. It's set too close to the head, and there's not enough of it to seem like a head full of hair, instead of a single layer of polys in a sheet.

Be aware of where the knees are and how they bend. The armor looks like she couldn't bend her knees.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Before doing anything else on this character you should fix her face. I made a paintover because a picture is worth a thousand words.

paintover01.jpg

Basicaly her face is lacking bone and muscle foundation. That's what the third picture is refering to. Check "face planes" on google and you'll understand what I mean.

There were some proportions issues too, like eyes, ears and nose too big, mouth too small, wrong shape of the skull and jaw.

If you want more help on the face you should post a 3/4 and side view. Because with just a front view we can't point out all the anatomical flaws.

Hope that helps.
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    Thanks everyone for the feedback its really helping a ton. Popol the paint over is gonna be really helpful when i go back to the face again.

Here's the 3/4 and side view of the face. the side view makes me sad cause the back of the skull is so bad i didn't really work on it cause it wasn't gonna be seen in the final renders.

EkdWLpf.png

here's the ruff sculpt of the hair i did I'm basing my hair planes on. still working on trying to match it. have to make the braids into hairplanes.

2YkkgY5.png

heres what my hairplanes look like right now

gvv7o3E.png

thanks everyone for the awesome feedback
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    been busy lately, but here's the latest. Worked the body and face over and cleaned up the polypaint. Though now I'm having a weird error. I want to export my lowest subdivision of the body out to 3dcoat for uving, and then import it back in. but every time it imports back in it doesn't keep the subdivision levels. Soo that's annoying.

old body

35mryYs.jpg

New body

sYpFkBr.jpg

new polypaint with armor

sStCR99.jpg?1

HUbBFtz.jpg?1

I think I'll uv the lowest subdivision level, export it and the high poly version and then bake the texture through xnormal.

Also I might make her a blonde, I think it makes her look more innocent which goes with her soft features.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This version is a really big improvement. She looks much more attractive.
    Great work!
  • X³²Lapis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    X³²Lapis polycounter lvl 10
    Good job the improvements are great
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    Thanks lapis and kanga, I feel like I'm learning a ton from this project. I think I'm done with setting up her materials and textures now i just need to pose her.

baqsiaO.png?1

oLyPetz.png?1

2EsqNh8.png?1

Any last critiques would be appreciated.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Hair could use some anisotropic maps if it doesn't have one already.
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    dang making chars are hard, so many maps. I'm looking through a couple tutorials right now on anisotropic maps and painting directional maps. Is there like a good step by step tutorial for dummys, all this is going above my head.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    I dont know if your aim is to make a hirez char or a game one. If it game just make a decent lowpoly cage and use xnormal and ddo to create all the maps you need. That wont take your work to the next level though. You need to throw off all the armor and practice figures. You have a good feeling for form you just need to hammer on it for a while. All the armor in the world wont give you the feel you are going to be able to create if your base figures are killer :)
  • skodone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skodone polycounter lvl 2
    just wrapped my head around anisotropic maps myself since ive not heard of it either...

found this and think its nice:
    http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/hair_tutorial/ng_hair.html
    and alos
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98983
  • kornetic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kornetic vertex
    I decided to update this characters body and hair. I decided not to work on the armor cause it wasn't as bad and I really want to start a new char before I lose motivation.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rv2xe and there's a link to the marmoset viewer