Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first personal project! Stylised market diorama.

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AnyaElvidge interpolator
Current stage;
TGeWqh2.jpg
UTQDdKM.jpg
rFsFDSL.jpg

Hi everyone, I'm Anya! I'm a second year Game Art student who's finally decided to do a 3D personal project rather than 2D, since I like to paint a lot.

So far I've done some concepts and am in the process of using a whitebox to make edits to my scene, as I think my initial concepts were too ambitious for the tiny little scene I wanted to work on. I want to hand-paint the textures and generally work super hard on the texturing process, trying Zbrush tileables and lots of hand-painting.

Please give me as much advice as you can! So much to learn... :)

Early ideas;
d85bbef06f75ba805275b23662a6d82d.JPG
Colours;
6586dac500a4e15f080eafc6fc883188.JPG
Refined colours;
5a38fca39a88d2004102b042a4ac5489.JPG
Populating scene;
8bf748058535f57d05a4ddfacbd00460.jpg
First whitebox;
638e7e2a4f2ac9634b0dcff3432e9250.jpg

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Just stopping by so I get casual updates on the thread and also to say the scene composition looks pretty good, and the color concepts are fantastic. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Thanks so much! Currently in the middle of trying to down-size the scene size without ruining the composition or atmosphere... :)
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    Too early to tell without the texturing but judging by the concepts and the 3d diorama you've created from it, it's looking good so far.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Update on the concepting. Changed the design of my diorama without removing any of my favourite aspects of the scene. It's more concentrated basically. I also much prefer the composition of this version.

ba14a92d9fefc25518c8029ebca95801.jpg
  • karytsukino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karytsukino greentooth
    :) Wow! Nice concept! Love this colors! I'm looking forward to see it in 3d! Keep going!
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Looks promising! Nice composition btw, I'll be following this :)
  • tangerineismine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tangerineismine polycounter lvl 8
    Love seeing how the concept evolved! Can't wait to see more! =D
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Hehe thanks all! :D Concepting is my comfort zone, so the real fun begins when I start modelling..! I'm going to take a bit more time to really refine my concept so I know where I'm going with every little detail, and then modelling begins. Will update with any concepting and such as I go.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Subscribed! This looks really neat, and I also took a look at your blog and I'm very impressed by the projects you and your teams have done. Will definitely be following this :3
  • Dragonar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dragonar polycounter lvl 10
    Cool start ! I really like your concept art and your color choice ! Keep it up :)
  • S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Concept looks really nice, looking forward to seeing this progress. One thing you might want to consider further down the line is harmonizing some of the color choices, so that it has a more clear read at a quick glance. That could fight the nature of the scene's visual style, so it'll have to be done carefully. But I could see a compromise where there is a dominant color for the focal point, and then an accent color for the surrounding elements.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Thankyou all for the lovely words. I think posting here will definitely stop me from abandoning this project! I have a terrible habit of abandoning paintings, as Carabiner may have noticed from my blog haha.
    S2Engine wrote: »
    Concept looks really nice, looking forward to seeing this progress. One thing you might want to consider further down the line is harmonizing some of the color choices, so that it has a more clear read at a quick glance. That could fight the nature of the scene's visual style, so it'll have to be done carefully. But I could see a compromise where there is a dominant color for the focal point, and then an accent color for the surrounding elements.
    @S2Engine I'll definitely look into changing the colours a bit... I think it's mostly the pink banner on the balcony that's really standing out as a particularly uncohesive (that's not a word lol) colour?
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Update;
    This is a rushed and messy concept for the interior area of the shop on the right of the scene. I want it to be crowded and cluttered without feeling dirty. There will be lots of little details, birds in the cages, bird food in the hanging trays, jars and bird toys/treats on the shelf under the stairs, lanterns, etc. I want it to be cosy, colourful, and pretty.

10845749_10203959318089363_4638193451407826423_o.jpg

Also, here is the backdrop story surrounding this market; In this world, your caste status is derived from the type of bird you have. To not own a bird is to be rejected from society and end up on the streets. Bird merchants, such as the ones in this market, are rich and well known across the land.
    This world and its design, as you may have guessed, is based around eastern markets.

All crits, advice and opinions are more than welcome! :)

Now to get on with my uni work *sob*. That's why progress on this project is slow, sorry guys.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Update with regards to dodgy colour palette;
    concepting9crop.jpg
    I like the left hand ones.

I'm going to make a new whitebox and define some more shapes and improve the lighting, as suggested by someone I've been chatting to about it. Then over paint that whitebox and hopefully I'll be ready to get on with modelling properly.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Lighting fun. I ended up coming back to my original setup haha.
    The larger image is my most recent whitebox and I am currently doing a final concept overpainty thing. Still very unsure about colours, so being a bit experimental.
    lighting-setups.jpg
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Ok so it's Sunday and the last day of my break from uni work, so I'm going to start tentatively modelling and researching software and techniques!

I'll be using 3dsmax, Photoshop, and Zbrush mostly, and I think rendering in UE4? But I want to see what Substance Painter is all about and generally learn some new cool stuff. :D Suggestions?

This is my inspiration, it's so so goooood;
    http://aliceandthetextures.blogspot.co.uk/
    all_render_01.jpg

Here is my final (but flexible) concept;
    2008cd51f92f72661ae10523178c8505.jpg
    It's gone a bit dark and less exciting looking, but I want to bring the vibrancy back through in the lighting and texturing of the model.

Any tips then please fire away! I need all the help I can get here.

I was particularly thinking about do I use diff/norm/spec or albedo/normal/rough/metalness workflow? If I'm going for handpainted textures and not using PBR, what would I do? This is a question that's bothered me for a while now.

I'm sure there will be model and concept updates soon to follow.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    Im not an expert in composition, so I might be completely wrong here.

However I think it might be nice to add some pipes coming out from the rocky area at the bottom, maybe with some water dripping out? I think it could add a bit more interest to that area :)
  • MaccyF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome :)

also, ^ this about pipes ^ 100%
  • GrungyStudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    Nice block out so far. And you have made some interesting concepts there. Keep it up, friend.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    that looks promising, will followwww!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Youngy798 wrote: »
    Im not an expert in composition, so I might be completely wrong here.

However I think it might be nice to add some pipes coming out from the rocky area at the bottom, maybe with some water dripping out? I think it could add a bit more interest to that area :)

You're completely right haha.

That part of the scene has been really neglected and to be honest I haven't thought about it much... But yes, I was thinking of a couple of cracked red clay pipes coming out of the ground and stuff. Going to have to research what goes on under ground in places like Morocco!

Thanks everyone for the compliments and tips so far :D
  • theblueturtle_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theblueturtle_ polycounter lvl 3
    really cool. thanks for showing the process work. looking forward to this one
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    really cool. thanks for showing the process work. looking forward to this one

Thanks man! I hope I live up to everyone's expectations... :poly122:
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Oooo. dis gonna be good.gif
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Oooo. dis gonna be good.gif

Thanks a lot :D

11084114_10204048260992880_2887323436747165971_o.jpg

Started Zbrushing the bottom part. This is going to take me a long while because I'm unused to Zbrush and want to make it look as believable as possible. It's tough but sinkholes are good ref;

IMG_0290.jpg

Wish me luck!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    ...I'm having bad luck. Does anyone who is good at Zbrush know how to sort this nasty poly stretching?
    11091125_10204057811991649_769154364_o.jpg?oh=6151b0f9f89ed39bad1c676d76675bbe&oe=552A377A&__gda__=1428797905_a9589b612a35a4b6291834a42e89a6cf
    I've tried Zremesher and Remesh and Dynamesh and all sorts and I just feel like I'm going to have to restart, but I'm quite far in now and don't really want to.
    11141693_10204057811951648_1863817448_o.jpg?oh=81ccd2846b60824e802f390e7b61713b&oe=5529DA33&__gda__=1428881954_1b2815f4dbc14ce017f1977e29cd49f0
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Subdiv it 100001 times? It's really the only way aside from reprojection, though in the future splitting off things like bricks into subtools is probably a better way to avoid this issue. :)

If there's not going to be any camera way up in there, even if you can't subdiv any more it should be fine, really. It's looking good, by the way!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Subdiv it 100001 times? It's really the only way aside from reprojection, though in the future splitting off things like bricks into subtools is probably a better way to avoid this issue. :)

If there's not going to be any camera way up in there, even if you can't subdiv any more it should be fine, really. It's looking good, by the way!

My uni friend talked me through inflating and dynameshing it (it's not 28 million polys...), so it's kinda sorted to a point where I can work into it again, yay! The camera won't be getting close at all, no.

I'll definitely definitely do that next time. This is my first proper Zbrush project and that tip is super helpful, thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement too. It reassures me that I'm not failing too hard ;)
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey!

Love the work so far. The palette and the lighting are looking spot on. But i still think you can push your shapes a bit more, and think about some things as you flesh out the blockout and start getting into it. I did a quick paintover with some notes, hope they help.

FMkqT0A.png

You have the right idea. But try to just exaggerate certain bits. Hope you don't mind. It would be cool to add some extra organic details, some vines or debris to break up some lines. But its looking really great.

As far as your details on the base you are zbrushing. Don't be afraid to add detail with instanced geometry on top. You can have a base model that you can decorate with simple geometry to give it shape. Let me know if you need an example.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Sometimes as a last resort to cleaning up edges, I run "Clay Polish". It can do a good job of cleaning up those rough edges. However, you'll want to run another zremesh after you do it. For some reason, sculpting or moving a subtool after usuing Clay Polish distorts the polys.

Also, since you're still learning, there's a lot to be said about just starting over and re-applying everything you've learned up to this point. We've all done it. (talking about the sculpt, not the whole project) :)

And I can't tell, but you may be starting to sculpt detail onto a mesh that is too high res. Start low and build detail as you subdivide.

Keep going!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    glottis8 wrote: »
    Hey!

Love the work so far. The palette and the lighting are looking spot on. But i still think you can push your shapes a bit more, and think about some things as you flesh out the blockout and start getting into it. I did a quick paintover with some notes, hope they help.

FMkqT0A.png

You have the right idea. But try to just exaggerate certain bits. Hope you don't mind.

Thankyou so much for the paintover! Someone I've been chatting to via email gave me one too and was helping improve the lighting and colour palette a little, so this is a bonus :D I'll look into doing that for sure. What do you think to my sculpt so far? Do you think it is lacking the rhythm you suggested in the paintover? I think it's the hardest bit because I was so vague about it in the concept haha. I'm sort of making it up!
    Sometimes as a last resort to cleaning up edges, I run "Clay Polish". It can do a good job of cleaning up those rough edges. However, you'll want to run another zremesh after you do it. For some reason, sculpting or moving a subtool after usuing Clay Polish distorts the polys.

Also, since you're still learning, there's a lot to be said about just starting over and re-applying everything you've learned up to this point. We've all done it. (talking about the sculpt, not the whole project) :)

And I can't tell, but you may be starting to sculpt detail onto a mesh that is too high res. Start low and build detail as you subdivide.

Keep going!

Thanks Jhoythottle! Will check that our, although I've kinda screwed up with the polycount and have a feeling that remesh may crash Zbrush. Damn, I've dug myself a deep hole here. But I reeeeeeally don't want to restart *sob*. I've done exactly what you said though haha, so maybe I should just go ahead and do it? :/
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Like one of the posts above said. Don't be afraid to start over and apply what you have learned. Most of the time you will end up with better results. So if you can spare the time, redo it and learn from the mistakes. :)

I sent you a pm with an example and some notes. Hope it helps.
  • mickaelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickaelb polycounter lvl 3
    Just subscribed to your thread, I really like this project (I won a m17x with a Blizzard's IRL Diorama contest ^^). Keep it up ! ;)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    mickaelb wrote: »
    Just subscribed to your thread, I really like this project (I won a m17x with a Blizzard's IRL Diorama contest ^^). Keep it up ! ;)

Your support means a lot, thanks! :D
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Just a little update on where I'm at;

11148136_10204070762315399_1411123326_o.jpg?oh=26ab146c6d754b05abc245659589797d&oe=553364FB&__gda__=1429421566_35dad6e0dfc4e1ac08b21754c523df80

Having fun with this and I definitely prefer sculpting organic things to the limited stuff I've done in the past. I've found the brushes that really suit me and I think I'm getting my head round Zbrush. Test imported my mesh into 3D Coat so I know where I'm going with this too, so that's good. I'm going to re-make the tile low poly from scratch because I've realised how moronic it was to leave the bottom of the tile mesh open.

Also the mesh is 2.8 mill not 28 mill... I misread it. I so stupid.

Crits welcome.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! It looks like the area surrounding the stone blocks looks more like clay than stone. I'm not a rock sculpting expert, but I'd look into using a flat brush like trim dynamic or hpolish to achieve that look. Check out the rawk thread for inspiration.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Cool! It looks like the area surrounding the stone blocks looks more like clay than stone. I'm not a rock sculpting expert, but I'd look into using a flat brush like trim dynamic or hpolish to achieve that look. Check out the rawk thread for inspiration.

Thanks :) And yeah, I'm kinda going for a mixture of stone/rocks/earth. Does that make it make any more sense?
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dirt/earth makes more sense for how it looks right now. Also, I think the zbrush material's gloss is creating that clay look. Since it's earth, it might be cool to see some roots dangling from the bottom as remnants from some downed tree.
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Hi all. Just wanted to say sorry about my image links breaking all the time.... I don't really know where to keep my images that I upload here. What do you guys do?

I have a teeny tiny update, but mostly I've been painting and doing uni work lately because this project has been frustrating me. I've sculpted the base *for now*, and have been trying to do the tiles. It's been really frustrating, and taken like a billion attempts. Today, though, I learned about the Fracture Voronoi script, and MassFX for Max. It's so cool, so I'm thinking I might try it to at least make the base meshes for my tiles, to then finish up in Zbrush. Here's a test I did;
    11174513_10204181756650188_498452788455708151_o.jpg

I'll try a fancier version using a decimated version of my Zbrush base sculpt, and make the tiles thinner and stuff too...

I have no idea what I'm doing. :D
  • nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Upload them to imgur then use the BBCode.

As for your scene, it's coming along pretty well! I like the tiles that you just updated, although I'm not sure about the ones on the edge. They look like they would've fallen off to me based on where they are? If you're going for "mid fall" look then I'd have them varied in height/distance a lot more. Keep pushin' :)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    nickcomeau wrote: »
    Upload them to imgur then use the BBCode.

As for your scene, it's coming along pretty well! I like the tiles that you just updated, although I'm not sure about the ones on the edge. They look like they would've fallen off to me based on where they are? If you're going for "mid fall" look then I'd have them varied in height/distance a lot more. Keep pushin' :)

Oh yeah, that was just me testing the MassFX thingymajig and getting over excited about it :P

I'm going to do a proper version today hopefully... That one should have a couple of bits of tile in mid-fall if I can make it look right. Might take a bit of hand-positioning.

To be honest I'm really taking this as it comes. This workflow could end up going horribly wrong and I'll go back to square 1... I'm still prepared to abandon the sculpt of the dirt bit too!

Thanks for the support!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Did the MassFX thing on my actual decimated base sculpt. Didn't bother lighing it properly in Max so the render looks weird;
    d.jpg
    Hope it sculpts in Zbrush ok!
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    wow clean concept! looking forward seeing this! :)
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    wow clean concept! looking forward seeing this! :)

Thanks a lot!!
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Hi again Polycount. I have now finished my university group project, hooray! If you're interested, take a look at my blog. I'll upload a flythrough soon I hope.

So, now I can exclusively focus on my diorama (and eating/sleeping/lazing). I've finished the sculpt of my base now, I think, so I've started making a low-poly in 3D Coat. Here's my sculpt;

0cd28f5fc6e24199c2f05e3d5e1e0a92.JPG?cb=938259345
    b0a8121c495028d0768de384db2b3267.JPG?cb=938259345
    678ad9f71d97ffc3054bcfbc8cc29944.JPG?cb=938259345
    fa1dd97a9e29391bcc119b7d76efe080.jpg?cb=938259345

I'd love to get people's opinions please! Any suggestions etc. I'm yet to go in and put in pipes in the base, and I may get round to adding some ivy or something in the later stages of this project. :)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Well, that's a perfect explanation of how most student projects go. I'm sorry to hear your group project was a dud, but try to think of it as a learning experience... You'll likely have professional teams that are duds sometimes, too. Additionally, small studios are often worse, not better. Sometimes there's gems where they're aiming for something of perfectly reasonable scope and you have some time to iterate and that's great, but sort of an exception.

The reality is that, actually, you probably won't have much time to polish, and chances are slim that you'll always get an amazing lead that can give you valuable feedback every time. Sometimes you will be just chucking up whatever you can to the best of your abilities, making it work, and passing it on. Sad reality. :(

You have to think from a gamers perspective too, not an artists; they're not going to stop and marvel at a trashcan. At best, they may stop to blow it up. In the case of GTAV in particular, its in all the little things... Walking into water and becoming wet up to the point where you actually walked into, wrinkle maps, good animations, great composition and color design, shader consistency.

The quality of individual assets doesn't matter so much as them coming together to form a cohesive big picture matters, and you put more effort where the general audience will focus. In this case, characters and explosions. The same way one might leave unimportant areas of a painting sketchy, people will look past it if the hero item/focal point is done well. I feel like, as a commercial artist, while you can always hope for a more artistically fulfilling project, that's something you have to come to terms with putting aside to some extent.

Looking forward to seeing a flythrough, though!

The sculpt's looking good, I'm looking forward to seeing the Low Poly/Bakes, I reckon the best bits will come through more during texture creation. :thumbup:
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Well, that's a perfect explanation of how most student projects go.
    Hey BagelHero :)

Yeah, it wasn't the end of the world, but I had higher hopes for it... I felt a bit held back by my team, in the least offensive way possible. Kinda found myself rushing and not being kind to my assets to make them fit in with the overall lower-than-I-would-like quality of the level.

That sad reality makes me sad :P I hope my future careers are at least slightly interesting! I'll be doing as much personal stuff as possible on the side probably.

Game art has completely ruined games for me... I stop and marvel at those trash cans! Then blow them up :D It's the overall picture that makes a game look so good, not the individual pieces- that's definitely something I learned from my university project and GTA V.
    Flythrough is done;
    [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JveoiM3pRqM"]Flythrough is now done![/ame]
    First time editing a video, be gentle with me. :)
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    Game art has completely ruined games for me... I stop and marvel at those trash cans!

Sometimes its hard to just play the game, instead of walking around looking at all the models, seeing how they are made and textured.

It also makes you notice the rushed parts more, I noticed a lot of ugly textures and models in bioshock infinite
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    I'm guessing you may have already decided on this, but I really liked the red or orange carpets in your concepts rather than the blue. I think I like when you have the upper elements in orange or reddish and mirror that with the carpet below.