Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scotty's weapon thread [continuous asset dump]

Latest stuff:

[Old Post]

I've finished the first of a series of weapon models+textures and thought I'd share it here. It the Swiss army version of the Sig 551, the Stgw 90. It's fairly strongly first person optimized, so the stock and the front of the gun are super lowpoly. Overall polycount is 7.5k with one 2k texture for the gun and a 1k for the clip. All the textures are done with substance painter.

Feedback is still welcome!

stgw90jpg

Replies

• Lord Scottish
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Hey lord cottish, that model looks really well done and the bake looks solid, howhever the material definition is still not there, at the moment everything looks pretty much like it has the same glossiness and specular value, you should try to separate the materials more.
    Also low frequency detail would help you a lot to make it look more interesting as well.
    Keep it up! Looking forward to see the next update! Very cool magazine you got in there
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz wrote: »
    Hey lord cottish, that model looks really well done and the bake looks solid, howhever the material definition is still not there, at the moment everything looks pretty much like it has the same glossiness and specular value, you should try to separate the materials more.
    Also low frequency detail would help you a lot to make it look more interesting as well.
    Keep it up! Looking forward to see the next update! Very cool magazine you got in there

Hey Maxvz, thanks for the pointer! I think you're right, I'll have to revisit the base material glossiness. I sort of winged it by looking at the rifle in my office lighting, but I think I'll have to look at it in different lighting setups to get the values right. (Hope my neighbours won't panic if I wield the rifle in our garden ;)

What did you have in mind with regard to low frequency detail? I tried to copy my own service rifle rather accurately as far as wear and dirt is concerned, but perhaps I should take some artistic licence and add additional wear detail in some places?
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to chime in and say that magazine in particular looks bad ass. I'm assuming it's a ton of geo, but I think it's worth it. You hardly ever see someone do a transparent magazine with actual geo, they usually fake the funk (poorly). It's attention to detail that might be a tad wasteful and most people won't appreciate, but it looks really awesome. Totally worth it!

Thanks NBN! The bullets inside the magazine are very low poly, but even so the whole magazin is around 1,3k polys. For two magazines that's quite a lot, but I really liked the effect :-)
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I revisited the values and tried to match the actual rifle as closely as possible. The magazine is quite a bit darker, and the glossiness on the plastic is toned down. Hope the material definition is clearer now. I might have overdone the reduced glossiness on the plastic a bit, but I liked the contrast.

sig_values.jpg
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Now thats looking much better but i feel it still misses low freq detail, make some dark spots in the specular and gloss or roughtness depending in what workflow your working on, here, take a read at this tutorial, specially the frequency and shapers part, its a great read that helped me a lot
    http://oesterkilde.dk/racer445.html
    Keep it up!
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tutorial link and your helpful comments! I'm going through tons of photos of used sig 551sto find some low freq detail I could implement. It looks like there are sometimes glossiness gradients on the metal, perhaps due to the heat produced by firing the fun frequently. I'll add that as well. I'll post some additional progress imagines once I'm done with this and have some variations of the gun done as well.
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looking great :)

Try adding a bit of noise to the metal areas of the gloss map. Also painting more scratches and edge wear into the gloss map helps to add visual interest. "Mint condition" stuff is harder to make look good I think
  • Lord Scottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shinigami said:
    looks good! Im working on the highpoly of that! :)

Mind sharing cage wires?
    Sorry for the late reply, I didn't see your post until now :-) I'll post some wires when I'm at work next week.

Here is a recent project. The model is from the unreal market place, only textures done by me in substance painter.