Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P - My path into the 3D modeling world - Follow my 1 year progression here

Paquette_e
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Paquette_e triangle
Hey guys!
My name is Evan, I'm learning 3D modeling by myself at home with a strict weekly schedule of at least 40h a week that I've build by myself. I've gathered the most resource as i could and creating a 1 year and a half program with variety subject.

I'm going to try to share here everything I can and that I judge useful for someone who would learn modeling by himself later (By example: difficulty that I've faced and how did I have solve them, how to regain motivation when you're about to give up, books to buy, website, tutorial, experience, etc.)

This post is going to show you my progression through my learning process! All C&C are welcome!

If you want to know more about my background, go read this post: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136542

Feel free to send me a message or to reply in this thread, if you have a question about my 1 year program or anything, I'm very friendly and it would be a pleasure to help someone if I can! You can also follow me on my facebook page: http://goo.gl/yQ0spc

Replies

• Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Let's first show you some stuff I've already done, the oldest to the newest.

First touch with Maya
    999611_526001370806135_1653735070_n74382.jpg

First character (MAYA)
    1009312_495082367231369_1115640684_o.jpg

RC Car V1.0 (MAYA)
    1052991_501742786565327_475782451_o.jpg

PreViz (MAYA)
    1097622_526001380806134_877770385_o2cd1e.jpg

From here I've switched from MAYA to MAX and started my new life schedule at the same time (See background thread)

First time with Max
    10003565_620305891375682_1700479859_o.jpg
    1980082_619914224748182_825727549_o.jpg

RC Car 2.0 (MAX)
    1167117_623063601099911_102047519_o.jpg
    1913220_624465220959749_1212986560_o47de8.jpg

Kitchen 2.0 (MAX)
    886193_636731753066429_1032651184901652168_o.jpg

Knife (MAX)
    10321569_649437491795855_8266957458152997651_o75a3e.jpg

Axe (MAX)
    10321580_649852388421032_39377059767865096_o2579a.jpg

Backpack (MAX)
    10295269_642194149186856_4075324490052702361_o.jpg

Bathroom part, I did it only by pulling edge (MAX)
    10257628_645017562237848_2184561183935392814_o.jpg

Portable TV (MAX)
    1978403_651256821613922_884965913302553583_o6d5d8.jpg

Monkey modeling (MAX)
    10504781_680951441977793_7426544241969186546_o9e282.jpg

Girl Modeling (MAX)
    10339351_662925427113728_345778078365327010_o462e1.jpg
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    ---Reserved
    (for further tips&tricks I want to share soon)
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    ---Reserved
    (for further tips&tricks I want to share soon)
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    ...Reserved
    (For further Tips&Tricks I want to share soon)
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    I'm currently working on my third character and I've given him the name: M
  • fisher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    digital tutors, right?

awesome models.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Yes, I'm taking a lot of my courses on D-T ;)
    Thank you buddy!
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    I have a hard time with the hands, I still need some more practice but it's motivating!
    I've ordered Anatomy for sculptor book to do some anatomy study, I cant wait to receive it, the book will help me a lot :)
    Any C&C are welcome!

melo281c7c.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Some great progress in here, keep at it! If you're interested in doing more character you'll definitely have to bury yourself in anatomy studies for awhile.

Hand is looking a bit unnatural. The fingers come out from the hand at an arc. Look at your knuckles, they don't create a straight line. The hand itself is curved and is rarely ever flattened out that much. Take a look at your own hand from the side, and just observe the shapes of the palm, the curves, where the thumb attaches, etc.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Thank you Shiniku, very apreciated!

Honestly my hands are very hmmm... Not representative of ''normal'' hands if I can say? Haha, I have farmer hands with curved fingers, lots of nerve, fatless and very crisp/dry with scratches.

It's the first time I'm doing a complete character without following a tutorial, just doing it by myself and now I really see the importance of a solid anatomy knowledge.

The book I've ordered yesterday: https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/store.php , I'm already using the website ressources but the book seems a lot more complete.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    I'm taking my first course about Zbrush today and yes what I've did look like some sh** for the moment and I was playing with the Zsphere tool, but every artist was doing sh** at the beginning right ;)

Honestly, this app is SO much more powerful that i was thinking! I was watching livestream of people doing sculpting in it, but I've never realise how powerful Zbrush was powerful before really doing some sculpt in it by myself... I understand about 1% of this software and he already blow my mind. It's awesome to see how naturel and creative this software is...I was intimidated to start working with it at first, but now I'm already in love with it and I'm having so much fun!

Zbrush_FirstTime.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Great idea in taking a year and learn to model, i just completed my year last week. I took the DT route for the first 6 months and logged 644 hours then i moved to the weekly hard surface challenge along with DT to finish up the year. Although i did enjoy clicking step by step through DT nothing beats first hand experience. Each week will teach u a fundamental techinique you will use throughout least for me

Feel free to add me on skype or to be added to the hard surface skype group. alexrodriguez3d i am now working on complex environments and models which is my next 6 months. I only do 4 half hours a day to allow for breaks and small recaps 40 hour is good but ease into it
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    644 hours in 6 months, wow!
    Tell me more about it:
    How many hours were you doing a day?
    Were you only watching the video once?
    Would you have any advice to give me?

I actually follow the steps while watching and put the video on pause to do what he does on my own project. It's an average of 1.60X the time of the original video. You did about 105 hours every month, wow! I'm doing about 20-25hours/week because of the time it takes when i stop the video to practice.

Thank you Alex! :)

Great idea in taking a year and learn to model, i just completed my year last week. I took the DT route for the first 6 months and logged 644 hours then i moved to the weekly hard surface challenge along with DT to finish up the year. Although i did enjoy clicking step by step through DT nothing beats first hand experience. Each week will teach u a fundamental techinique you will use throughout least for me

Feel free to add me on skype or to be added to the hard surface skype group. alexrodriguez3d i am now working on complex environments and models which is my next 6 months. I only do 4 half hours a day to allow for breaks and small recaps 40 hour is good but ease into it
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Well it was more around 7 months that counting the review *I did every 3 months* I have my playlist setup as my review section there a full month of review in there now like 100 hours use to be like 10-45 hours when I was doing reviews but most of it just useful information such as name your model this way when rigging it etc..

They don't count the hours you re-watched the videos though so once you see it once the hours are logged (not too important I mostly use it to stay on track and so I can use each day to it fullest).

I was doing 4 hours a day for around 21-26 hours a week not as high as 40 but I will forget and not retain as much information if I did decide to do more hours. Now that I have a better understanding in what I am doing I can push the high hours as I don't need to pause as much to retain information.

I kept tracked I did 1,356 hours that whole year, now im working 4 hours and 30 minutes a day. Think I raise it 30 minutes every 3 months but do what you feel best it what worked out for me. I just went to the Maya and Photoshop section and picked out all the beginner and moved up to intermediate now I am on the advanced but stopped as tutorial models will only get you so far.

I started the hard surface on January and took Monday/Tuesday/sometimes Wednesday to knock them out week by week. The rest of the days was spent back in Digital Tutors knocking out the lesson I had set
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Well it was more around 7 months that counting the review *I did every 3 months* I have my playlist setup as my review section there a full month of review in there now like 100 hours use to be like 10-45 hours when I was doing reviews but most of it just useful information such as name your model this way when rigging it etc..

They don't count the hours you re-watched the videos though so once you see it once the hours are logged (not too important I mostly use it to stay on track and so I can use each day to it fullest)....

Thanks for the answer Alex!

I'm actually doing an average of 8 hours a day and it can reach 10-11 hours but I'm not ''overheating'' my brain, I'm conscious that the brain have restricted hours of concentration but when I feel like I'm out, I just go take a walk or eat something, work on another software, do some free modeling or something, read a book... I'm doing the hardest task first and then I'm going lower to lower till I hit 5pm and sometime when I really feel good I'm doing an extra 2-3 hours after the meal.

So yes maybe I'm doing 8 or 11 hours of study everyday but at all I'm maybe doing 4 or 6 or 8 hours of D-T on Monday... It depend of many things, how great was my sleep last night, how I feel, how is my focus etc.

At all I'm really impressed of what you've did! Nice schedule man, it's cool to know i'm not the only one learning with this kind of discipline!

And just to give a little bit of feedback on what I'm doing, I've worked a little bit on M
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Okay it's been a while since I've posted here but I've been drawing for a while and not touching 3ds max.

So here's my latest update, I was struggling a lot with UV Unwrap and was actually unable to do a descent one, but I think I finaly understand how make one. It's a pretty simple model but is that correct? Any opinion on it ?

Thanks!

811969FirstCorrectUnwrap.jpg
    838914UVstabletest.jpg
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    I was watching a course on how to make perfect holes in planes and I've decided to let the creativity flow and to push it a little bit furter.

755111PracticingHoles3dsmax.png
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Hey guys!

Here's a quick project I've made on Digital-tutors, a recap of the basic is good sometimes!

Ps: I should not exported it as a png because I've losted the background image, but next time I'll know! We learn by doing mistakes right ;)

631267RenderedExportep.png
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    I've downloaded Mudbox for fun and it was the first time I was trying to sculpt something. No tutorial or any courses, just having fun, starting from a cube and trying to understand how the software work! It was fun, my sculpting surprisingly ''look like something''!

905588FirstSculptEver.jpg
  • Earthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthyn polycounter lvl 2
    I vote for zbrush or mudbox for sure, the way modelling is heading in this age is for sculpting. Zbrush is part of my pipeline for almost any model I want to add detail to!

keep it up!
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Earthyn wrote: »
    I vote for zbrush or mudbox for sure, the way modelling is heading in this age is for sculpting. Zbrush is part of my pipeline for almost any model I want to add detail to!

keep it up!

Sincerely, thank you for your comment! Every single comments help me to keep my motivation and to push harder! I wish you an excellant week-end my friend and to everyone who is reading this.

PS: Yes, it's in my plan to learn Zbrush, but more later, I want to master Max firstly :)
  • Phaeton1911
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phaeton1911 polycounter lvl 4
    dude this stuff is outstanding, your modeling went from obvious beginner to solid understanding of modeling in what seemed like an instant.

i saw a big shift when you switched from max to maya and i liked your kitchen model (i work in arch viz).

i dont see any texturing work yet although your rendering is nice in some shots like the max rc car and the phone.

id do like these guys suggest and get on sculpting, and from me start unwrapping models and producing custom textures.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    dude this stuff is outstanding, your modeling went from obvious beginner to solid understanding of modeling in what seemed like an instant.

i saw a big shift when you switched from max to maya and i liked your kitchen model (i work in arch viz).

i dont see any texturing work yet although your rendering is nice in some shots like the max rc car and the phone.

id do like these guys suggest and get on sculpting, and from me start unwrapping models and producing custom textures.

Hey Phaeton!

Thank you a lot for your comment I really appreciate that you've taken time to write me a comment!

Yes you say true, I'm late on learning texturing and UV unwraping. When I've started max, I had a hard time to learn how to unwrap a model properly but now I've get it and I love to do it! My next models are going to have more and more texture on them!

Yes, sculpting for sure, it's so fun to do and also so useful!

Have a good day my friend!
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Quick modeling I've did on the lunch time, took me around 30 min, clearly not enough time to finish it. It was my first attempt to model a gun and to model something so quickly.

Not so bad, not so good!

981714Exportrender01.png

EDIT: As you can see, my idea was very clear for the front part of the gun, but for the back part I've didnt think about anything and that's why next time I'll take more time to think about my concept before modeling it. I've did not use any reference image for it.

With more time and research I would propably be able to do a better model, but it was a fantastic practice to really put some pressure on my skills and knowledge in 3Ds max and see what I can deliver with a strict deadline. It's a clear start line to see my improvement in the next couple weeks/months. I clearly need more speed and precision, but time is going to do it for me!

Not perfection, just amelioration :)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    my advice for the hands is to import a reference of a side,top views atleast.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    snake85027 wrote: »
    my advice for the hands is to import a reference of a side,top views atleast.

Yeah I totaly agree with you, thanks for your comment! It's approximately what I've wrote in my post-modeling analyse :)

''As you can see, my idea was very clear for the front part of the gun, but for the back part I've didnt think about anything and that's why next time I'll take more time to think about my concept before modeling it. I've did not use any reference image for it.

With more time and research I would propably be able to do a better model, but it was a fantastic practice to really put some pressure on my skills and knowledge in 3Ds max and see what I can deliver with a strict deadline. It's a clear start line to see my improvement in the next couple weeks/months. I clearly need more speed and precision, but time is going to do it for me!

Not perfection, just amelioration ''
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Here's another modeling I've did, it's a set of modular pipe. Very simple modeling, but it was to practice the snap tool more deeply.

160877Pipe01.png
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Spending my evening exploring Zbrush and having fun with it for the first time more seriously!
    Started from a sphere and tryed different brushes.
    Zbrush is definitely a very fun tool to use, I can't wait to start learning it! :)

967551FirstSculptZbrush.jpg
  • angryMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, this is sort of late, but I just joined and saw your thread. Your stuff looks really cool! Especially your knife, it looks like the one that was used on the finale of The Walking Dead. Awesome arcade cabinet too.
    Keep sharing man, it's all very inspiring.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Hey, this is sort of late, but I just joined and saw your thread. Your stuff looks really cool! Especially your knife, it looks like the one that was used on the finale of The Walking Dead. Awesome arcade cabinet too.
    Keep sharing man, it's all very inspiring.

Thank you man, it really support me! :)
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Here's another gun I've did but this time I've used a reference image and the result is great. I'm impress of myself, it was less complicated that I was thinking at the beginning!

Not perfection, just amelioration ;)

296009GunBash01Croped.png

The reference:
    949489BrushGun.png
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Need to round out the shapes. Looks like its made of blocks.
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Here's a quick hydraulic cylinder to practice merging cylinder topology.

188939Render01.png
  • Paquette_e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paquette_e triangle
    Here's a car rim I've did this morning after waiting an hour at the garage for my car to be repair, it inspired me to do this modeling!

Love the shader, but after rethinking about it, I've forget to leave space behind the rim for the brake to fit in :/

870467CarRimA01.png