Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Little Kerrigan Prime - Smallcraft

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
RocketBryan polycount sponsor
- UPDATE 3/27: Project Finished -

kerrigan_final02jpgformat1500w

Sweet, got my first finished model up on Polycount, now it's time for my first active WIP thread.:)

Here she be. Again going pretty much just hand-painted diffuse with Kerrigan here, though in hindsight sculpting her out and pulling a re-topo'd base mesh would have been a LOT smarter than just straight up box-modeling her, but...meh...old habits, dying, hard, etc.

JUST started on her diffuse last night, so she's pretty rough and there's a lot of hard seams and stuff, but a decent place to start from. Comments and critiques always welcome.

kerrigan_wip01jpg
kerrigan_wip02jpg
kerrigan_wip03jpg

Replies

• RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Aaaaand her primary reference page. Initial sketch concept (far left side) is done by an extremely talented artist I also happen to be dating.:)

All her designs are adorable, I can't handle it!

kerrigan_concept_page.jpg
  • Cordell Felix
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    She's gonna be fantastic! Great job Brian!
  • royalshark
    Offline / Send Message
    royalshark polycounter lvl 10
    Love where this is going man, can't wait to see more progress :D
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Wooooo Brian! Looks great man, subbed. Get'er done.
  • Marshkin
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    Great start so far! It almost feels wrong referring to Kerrigan as cute!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the diffuse map define her scales and wings better. Right now they look unintentional.
    I'm loving the look of the dreads so far!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin: Thanks mate, it is a little bit strange trying to imagine the Queen of Blades as "aaawwwww, how adorable!", but hey...when you got a good concept to start, roll with it, right? Hopefully after tonights work, I'll have more definition at least through all the dreads, but her face and hair are really the only parts I've touched - haven't even begun to block out her spiky-bits.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    LOL that's dope.
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Lovin' it man, that ref sheet has a few of my fav characters/artists.
    Can't wait to see your works in progress.
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Loved your Fixomancer, can't wait to see this completed!

Only CC is you might want to be careful of her arms + wing spines being too thin/ fragile in places... as you might want to 3D print it out later ;).
  • Onmioji
    Offline / Send Message
    Onmioji polycounter lvl 8
    Nice model. You can place wings a little bit higher, and it would be better )
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, just dropping by with an update. I know most people are frolicking around GDC, but, alas, I couldn't afford to join the party. Curse you unemployment gremlins!

Kerrigan here got delayed a by some technical issues, but she's back on track. Just uploading some progress so far. The major change has been her wings. It was suggested by a few people I play around with their shape a bit more and I think I've landed on something I like a lot better now. They definitely feel more chunky like the rest of her. ;) Disregard the awkward extension on them too - just standard T-pose. I'll add a few bones so they can fold downward at the "wrist".

Her textures have a ways to go yet, still haven't hit most of her legs, back, wings, and shoulders. I'm including a few notes I just took to that end.

kerrigan_wip05.jpg
    kerrigan_wip06.jpg

Man, I keep forgetting how badly Blogger hosting tends to wash out images. I need to get my act together and host this stuff elsewhere.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    By the will of the Swarm, I command thee to RISE FROM THE DEAD! (Necroposting yay!)

I am finally, after almost a year of abandoning this project, returning to finish Kerrigan here. She deserves it and I never really finished with the my original texturing experiment. Got super side-tracked by freelance and...uh...games. :icon15:

So here she is at the moment. Still a lot of texture painting to get to. If I remember correctly, I was referencing Laurel Austin's awesome zergling cuddle time painting, but she ended up looking way too pink for a Primal Kerrigan look, so she's going to get a major purple and green hue shift overhaul.

test_02.jpg

Interestingly enough, I ended up using her model to learn some basic rigging techniques to get her wings to kinda work. It's still super broken, but at least I have a better understanding of IK/FK systems.
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Kerrigan LIVES!

...finally :)

I'm still not 100% happy with her and I think I would tackle her completely differently next time, but experimenting was still fun. It's too bad she got pushed off and delayed so many times and trying to pick up in the middle of an unfinished project is a trip of Gandalf level proportions.

Anyway, I may go back to her a little bit later to finish off her little companion zergling, but for now I'm calling her done. Enjoy!

kerrigan_final01.jpg?format=1500w
    kerrigan_final02.jpg?format=1500w
    kerrigan_final03.jpg?format=1500w

Side note: I really wish I could change the title of this thread. Seemed funny at the time...now it's just dumb. :icon15:
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    No it's not! It attracts viewers to the thread because they be like "Wut? /click"

Advertising, baby!
  • TomGT
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Lol yeah its pretty click bait. (I am a victim haha)

Nevertheless was pleasantly surprised. Well done!
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Love the micro surface emissive texture work (glow-y purple stuffs), final texture came out amazing. Nice work man.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Saw this on artstation. Great work!
  • RocketBryan
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get her little zergling up soon too as they should have been completed together. But you know...if wishes were horses and all that jazz.

I may actually come back and revisit this project all over again when I'm more confident in my sculpting ability. As much as I'm kinda tired of looking at her right now, I'm still totally obsessed with Kerrigan. The Queen of Blades has infested my heart.