Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Substance Designer Experiments

Hey All,
Recently, I've started to experiment with substance designer and I am really enjoying it. The flexibility of the procedural workflow has got me hooked.

I'll start by showing a dirt material I am working on. It is supposed to feel like it rained a few hours ago and the dirt is starting to finally dry up a little.

For the next iteration I plan on adding some small leaves and rocks to replace the current small bumps scattered around.

Any and all feedback is welcome!

I hope these shots are not too dark for you guys, my monitor at home is on its last leg.

dirt_03_a.jpg

dirt_03_b.jpg

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea they're a little too dark. From what I can see it looks pretty interesting but I'd love a better render if you have time.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, figured that might be the case. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, thanks!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, hopefully these shots are better!

Also, for those of you taking your shots in marmoset as opposed to right out of substance - how are you finding the parity between the visuals of the two programs? I am using the specular/gloss workflow and am finding things to be quite different between the two and was wondering if anyone has some good tips. Thanks!

dirt_03_a_02.jpg

dirt_03_b_02.jpg

edit: the shots are a little on the orange side because I have just adjusted the original shots in photoshop for now. I will have to re-render these better when I can, but at least they are visible now ;]
  • gloriousczar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gloriousczar polycounter lvl 6
    Hey looking good, it will be cool to see how to tackle the leaves.

I was having similar issues with the maps looking quite different in Marmoset compared to Substance too, Marmoset was a lot more glossy. It might be something to do with the sRGB/ Gamma settings?
  • arvinmoses
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    Looking really good so far. Might be nice to get a little more depth going on the noise.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gloriouscszr: Thanks! Yea, I plan on diving in to do the leaves this weekend, it should be interesting :]

arvinmoses: Thanks! I am wondering how I could accomplish that. Currently, the raised portions of dirt are already white in the height or pretty close to it. Is there a way to push even more volume there? I know I could achieve something like that by amping up the value of the normal map, but I'll see if I can find another approach. Also, I love the work you are creating in your thread, great stuff!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hope everyone is having a nice night,

Tonight I added more to the height of the dirt. I think that was a great call arvinmoses, thanks!

Also, tweaked the height gradient a little to experiment with something a little more shallow.

dirt_03_rev_02_01.png
    dirt_03_rev_02_02.png
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, still trying to get the base mud to read well before I go and add the leaves and rocks. I tweaked the way the height was being blended and added a bit more variation. Again, two shots of the same substance, just different gradients for the height.

Any feedback would be great!

dirt_03_rev_06_01.png

dirt_03_rev_06_02.png

edit: added a couple more shots as I experiment with the lighting in my marmo scene.

Anyone have a preference on the lighting/presentation?

dirt_03_rev_06_03.png

dirt_03_rev_06_04.png

dirt_03_rev_06_05.png
  • Moist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moist polycounter lvl 7
    While I miss some of the earthy green tones of your first iteration I think you nailed the look of the mud. And the last shot is definitely my favorite.
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Cool to see updates!

Do you have a specific kind of mud your referencing? If so can you post it?

Right now the water is feeling metallic, especially on the edges of the rounded cube. It feels like a raw metal. Water has very low reflectivity (spec), and high gloss, almost mirror like.

pbr_theory_watermud.png

The mud could use some treatment over all. First, the material read could be tweaked a bit. Here is an example.

soil_mud_0037_01_preview.jpg

Second, near the water too to better sell a transition from completely wet puddle to wet mud to to dryer dirt/mud.

Mudpuddle.jpg
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moist: thanks, much appreciated! I think more of those tones will be introduced once I have those leaves on the surface.

josh_lynch: Thanks Josh! You gave me a lot of good notes to think about here. I'll try to dial the gloss up a bit more on the water to see if it lands in a better spot. I'm finding it to be a weird balance in marmo getting the gloss to read more like what I have in substance.

Right now this material resembles something pretty wet so there isn't as much of a transition from dry to wet mud. I think that is a great note you mentioned and I'll go back in and reintroduce the dry areas while adding more of a transition between the two in my diffuse and gloss.

As for the read of the mud I was kind of shooting for something that could be flatter if needed, or very broken up like the ref you posted. Here are some ref shots for the muddy wet version:

wet_mud_2202887.JPG

stock-photo-mud-texture-or-wet-brown-soil-as-natural-organic-clay-and-geological-sediment-mixture-as-in-133421708.jpg

12-wet-brown-mud-texture.jpg

Really appreciate the notes, thanks!
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    As far as the going from Substance Designer to Marmo I find with the gloss in Marmo turning the SRGB ON in the Gloss settings brings a result much closer to what is seen in Substance Designer. Assuming your doing spec gloss.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, awesome, I will give that a shot. Thanks
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update tonight:
    - Pumped up the gloss of the water a bit.
    - added a small adjustment to the gloss and diffuse values of the dirt near the water's edge
    - adjusted the saturation and value of some of the dirt that is furthest from the water.

dirt_03_rev_07_011.png
  • luthyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great! Keep it up :D
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    The water and mud are reading so much better now. I feel like on the bottom right of the cube is where its shown the best, got that toothyness to it.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @luthyn - Thanks! Much appreciated.
    @josh_lynch - Thanks Josh! The notes earlier were very helpful.

Next update will include my first pass at leaves. Stay tuned!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I switched gears recently and started working on some hex pavers that I found a ton of in NYC.

Here is my Ref:
    hex_reference_sm.jpg

Here is where I am currently sitting with the normal:
    hex_01_nml.png

and here is the very start of some diffuse work:
    hex_01_dif.png

Going to continue working on that normal before I dive anymore into the diffuse, here are some notes I have so far.

-start getting the base concrete's normal on each of the pavers.
    -flatten out some of the smaller stones

Any feedback is always welcome, thanks!
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some small marks and wear on the stone edges in parts, but am definitely going to add more in the future. There is now a larger separation between the pavers and a subtle rotation on them as well.Also, knocked back the small stones a little. Thanks for looking!

normal:
    hex_02_nml.png

w/ diffuse:
    hex_02_dif.png

hex_02_cube.png
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow I'm loving what you did with the dirt. Was it 100% procedural? Can you share your insight how you contruct your nodes please?
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Good progress here! Really liking the variation in the smaller pebbles depth. Would be great to see some bigger ones and smaller pebbles in the mix.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Direwolf Thanks! Yes, this is all 100% procedural in Substance Designer and very quick to iterate on.

A few more materials and I might be thinking completely differently about my process, but this is where I am now: during construction I am trying to think in layers, just like I would traditionally work on a material like this. Macro details to micro. In this case I started with the large paver and worked my way into edge details, and smaller surface details like the pebbles. The dirt was made using noise nodes and then blending them together while masking out where I don't want the detail in the blend. Hope that helps!

@josh_lynch Thanks! Really digging your work man and I appreciate the feedback. I added some larger pebbles in to supplement the smaller guys. I think I may add even smaller, but am afraid it is going to just be too much surface noise if it's in the normal. I might try to achieve it with my gloss instead.

Here is my progress tonight:

normal:
    hex_03_nml.png

all maps:
    hex_03_dif.png
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Awesome! This is a big improvement as far as the pebbles size variety goes. I dont think it could hurt to have some smaller ones in the mix either.
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aelwine polycounter lvl 6
    Great substance work here, the latest iteration of your tiles height map look really nice.

Out of curiosity, do you use a similar workflow than Rogelio's for the pebbles ? (multiple pebble generators scattered on the surface) or something different ?
    It feels like you have lot of nice variation in the shapes and it looks really organic.

The only critic I would have is on the diffuse, It still feels a bit too procedural at the moment, especially the overall "cloud noise" feel to the darker variations in the texture. And it kills a bit all the work you put into the height.

But still, great textures.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @josh_lynch Thanks man, much appreciated. Yeah, I will give the smaller pebbles a shot over the weekend.

@aelwine Really appreciate the critique! My approach to the pebbles was different than Rogelios, but the idea of using a scatter sounds better than what I did. In my setup I have two node groups for pebbles, each corresponds to a size for the pebbles - in my current iteration I have large and medium sized pebbles. Inside each node group I am using a cells node to give me the overall shape of the pebbles and then I use a warp node on them to change the form a bit. I add a blur to give the cells a bit more of a rounded organic form. After the pebbles are feeling a bit softer I went in and used a histogram scan to dial in the tightness of the edges I want on the pebbles as well as how much spacing I want between the pebbles.

Josh Lynch's tutorial was a very helpful starter for this workflow: https://environmentart.wordpress.com/2015/01/01/substance-cracks-joshua-lynch/

I then take that information and plug it into a transform node to tile it more. After warping the pebbles a little more I am going in and masking some of the information out to reveal more and less of the pebbles with a blend. Then it is a matter of layering it on top of the other normal information. Hope that helps!

I am completely with you on the procedural diffuse and I am currently in the process of re-constructing my node network for my diffuse. I found I wasn't really using a lot of the information I had generated for my normal in a way that was beneficial. So, fingers crossed, next iteration will be a bit more convincing.
  • Valentin Hum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work dude ! Really loving what you did with the first one ! By the way, i'm still a beginner in all of this and i still don't understand how substance works, is the workflow similar to UE4 materials ?
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the breakdown, I tried a similar approach on one of my substance last week, but it got overcomplicated and the result was not there at all.

Your method seems way more efficient, and the result is great, so I will give it another try.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked a bit on the concrete pavers tonight. Reconstructed the node networks for the way the normal information was being generated. I also reconstructed the gloss and diffuse portions of the network.

hex_04_dif.png

hex_04_dif_02.png

hex_04_nml.png
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I may come back to these again at some point to add more variation in, but I'm pretty happy with where I have landed. Any feedback is always welcome! Thanks.

hex_05_01.pnghex_05_02.png
    hex_05_03.png

Normal and Gloss:
    hex_05_04.png

The Asphalt material without any pavers:
    hex_05_05.png

And a quick variation test:
    hex_05_06.png
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I need to call it on these guys or I might go crazy noodling! :poly115:

Some last tweaks:
    -Adjusted the value of some of the pavers
    -tightened the edges of some of the pavers
    -reduced the amount of dirt spacing between them
    -chipped up some of the edges a bit more

hex_06_01.png
    hex_06_02.png
    hex_06_03.png
  • josh_lynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch interpolator
    Good job! Only thing I can say is throw on some displacement but I think the materials are there!
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When node network gets real complex does it slow down the display much?
  • aelwine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's looking great, the asphalt material with those small imbeded pebbles looks ace !
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    josh_lynch: thanks man! I actually have displacement on there, I bet it could use a little more umph.

direwolf: it will definitely start to slow down for me, but it is never too cumbersome to work worth. The longest delays are if you are changing the output size (ie. going from a 1024x1024 to a 2048x2048 substance)

awlwine: Thanks! I really appreciate it.