Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge February 2015 (27)

Replies

• f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1r3w4rr10r polycounter lvl 9
    I think I am done with texturing now. This is straight out of Substance Painter.
    7G1wfrK.jpg
    1dX8wG9.jpg

The next thing to do is get it into Unreal 4.
  • WindchILL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindchILL polycounter lvl 4
  • [Deleted User]
    [SKETCHFAB]4100f1a3c2db45df9a082e5942844b5d[/SKETCHFAB]
    I think I must further improve the texture but I'm enjoying it !! :)
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chus_Orgaz: I think you could actually save quite a lot of polygons on that shield. Particularly the horizontal ones on the wood and that one edge ring, running around the whole protruding metal part.

Artistically speaking I really like your painted wood, although it gets pretty close to bark.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    RldQ54G.jpg
    Planning on sculpting one more shield then I'll begin retopo and texturing.
  • [Deleted User]
    @Chus_Orgaz: I think you could actually save quite a lot of polygons on that shield. Particularly the horizontal ones on the wood and that one edge ring, running around the whole protruding metal part.

Artistically speaking I really like your painted wood, although it gets pretty close to bark.

Thanks for the feedbak! :):):) I made a few adjustments to the model and now I think is better than before! thx
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally got it into Unreal 4. I had to do some levels adjustments to some parts of the texture, but the validator node in Substance Designer was a great help in getting it right.
    bjK9kvM.png
  • Maher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    I think I finished it :D
    I had really fun time do this work
    i am happy with the result as much as i would improve it
    but there is no time

av0JV4u.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Hi guys! to complete this challenge I decided to try to make this another shield!

288jus.jpg
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hey everyone!

First of all, love all the things you guys have done, really awesome. Second of all, UGH. Finally am getting this posted after having both of my computers crashing on me (one being sent away for repairs for 3 weeks) and leaving me literally having zero motivation. I pulled through though. This was an interesting project, had some issues but happy with the result.

I'll list the things I could improve on for my next project that I saw:
    1. Planning this whole thing out properly. I ran into some frustrating problems due to glossing over small details thinking I could improvise.
    2. Preparing a mesh to be sculpted. I subdivided in Max before exporting to ZBrush, but still had issue getting a clean sculpt on edges and some faces.
    3. Textures. Just need more practice.

Thanks for reading this ramble. I'm exhausted and would love to hear some feedback that I can add to my notes. Much appreciated!

Cheers.

fBYEKlB.png

JcHgl9Q.jpg
  • DarthTrae
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @f1r3w4rr10r your metal might be too reflective.

Here's the finalized version of my shield. Im glad I got to utilize the pbr workflow for this project. Critiques would be appreciated.:)

[IMG][/img]bgcfVWo.jpg

DPPZi5Z.jpg

057iyEP.jpg
    Albedo
    rrCKxXX.jpg
    Normal
    NV1grfX.jpg
    Metal
    UVlXK1j.jpg
    Gloss
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DarthTrae: It doesn't really seem to be too reflective to me. I mean that's pretty much the sun light reflecting right there. I agree that the bolts and studs could use a little bit of fix up, but I would honestly make them more reflective. I already had to tone that down, since UE4 was interpreting them as fully reflective mirrors and was ignoring the Albedo completely.

Concerning your PBR maps, you got some errors though. Your Albedo should not include any Ambient Occlusion at all, especially in the scratches. Leave those in a separate AO map. Your Metallic should also not have those dark spots in the metal parts. Your glossiness also looks as if you got directional lighting information in there.

On a closer look, the metal bumps on the front also seem to have some UV problems there. There's parts of the red paint on them.
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Darthtrae, couple of things I noticed: The scale of the wood grains seems a little off, maybe they're a little too large. Also, the metal rim is very noisy detail wise its all my eyes are drawn too! Finally, try breaking up the paint a bit as there is a contrast between the very battle-worn shield and the pristine paint job.

Good job tho! :)
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    That looks sweet @Doomathon! Could you post your maps?
  • dsenter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dsenter polycounter lvl 3
    Just started this last weekend, hope I can finish in time! Great work all around :)

shield_v1_zpsdwvoiohh.png
  • [Deleted User]
    I'm finishing this other shield, I am very happy with the result, except for the handle, I think I should touch that part ... I hope you like it guys![SKETCHFAB]ba3ff066611046e38142d17b164175a7[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Micah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Micah polygon
    Maher wrote: »
    I think I finished it :D
    I had really fun time do this work
    i am happy with the result as much as i would improve it
    but there is no time

av0JV4u.jpg

Hey Maher. Just thought I'd give some critique if you don't mind.

1st thing I'd like to say is to never use a noisy background in your display!

I did a paint over to visualize my thoughts.
    QzrUYJ.png

Your lighting seems to be coming from above, I deduced this based on the lighting on the green metal. But you bluish/grey metal isn't lit the same way?
    So I corrected the lighting.

I then added some AO onto your wood, again based on the lighting.

Upped the value of the reflections on the metal and gem/crystal (this might just be my preference though) though I think it's a good idea to add some of that green from the gem onto the metal as it would probably reflect some of it's color.
  • Pooky23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pooky23 null
    blamblam wrote: »
    2Mrw98a.jpg
    buZovP6.jpg
    iQJN41o.jpg

I think I have oversculpted it, gonna do the low poly version. Any thoughts are appreciated

I think this is really nice work. Possibly too much sculpting on the skull. Do you have any wireframe renders?
  • Pooky23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pooky23 null
    dGySlwZ.jpg

My adaptation:
    ZsAQrm8.jpg
    m0MoYWa.jpg
    87MBx20.jpg
    JO5VqD3.jpg
    JFAxRVL.jpg
    uR4uTBC.jpg
    Zj37TL0.jpg

This is my Dragon skull shield. I decided to take my own adaptation on this piece to try give my own personal design to it. Any feedback is welcomed thanks
  • Maher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maher polycounter lvl 5
    Micah wrote: »
    Hey Maher. Just thought I'd give some critique if you don't mind.

1st thing I'd like to say is to never use a noisy background in your display!

I did a paint over to visualize my thoughts.
    QzrUYJ.png

Your lighting seems to be coming from above, I deduced this based on the lighting on the green metal. But you bluish/grey metal isn't lit the same way?
    So I corrected the lighting.

I then added some AO onto your wood, again based on the lighting.

Upped the value of the reflections on the metal and gem/crystal (this might just be my preference though) though I think it's a good idea to add some of that green from the gem onto the metal as it would probably reflect some of it's color.

thank you for the critique , yeah alot of my friends tell me about the lighting , the values isn't correct , I'm planing to redo it in the future ,thanks for do this image it helps alot to understande the problem
    thank you again for the your time :)
  • [Deleted User]
    2m46nir.jpg
    [SKETCHFAB]ba3ff066611046e38142d17b164175a7[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]4100f1a3c2db45df9a082e5942844b5d[/SKETCHFAB]
    hope you like it guys!
  • jabberhopper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jabberhopper polycounter lvl 4
    sheild1_export.pngsheild2_export.png
    shield2.png
    Here is a WIP render of two shields i modeled in 3DS Max, This is my first time entering any challenges for my 3D models.
  • SkyRiderSoph
  • Eutykhia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eutykhia polycounter lvl 2
    ss.jpg
    ssb.jpg
    11028678_10205104252139312_964386428_o.jpg

First ever upload, new to all this 3Ds Max modelling, criticism welcome, cheers guys!
    I have a blog if you'd like to follow
    www.eutykhia.net
  • BanoffeePie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BanoffeePie polycounter lvl 3
    jg2rf4.jpg

Here is my final shield! As it was my first challenge, I wanted to focus primarily on workflow. I learnt a heck of a lot which will can be applied to the next one especially in areas of normal mapping and how important unwrapping is!

Areas I wish to improve are almost everywhere, however for the next challenge I want to mostly speed up general workflow, as I feel the texturing was very rushed. I also plan to take a more methodical approach to the modelling phase thinking more about how placement of geometry could affect me later in the pipeline, and most importantly finishing the next challenge!
  • tehrobster2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tehrobster2 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey guys I'm a little late, because of work stuff, it put it behind quite a bit, so here is my shield.
    HhwowKE.jpg
    iJFo1m3.jpg
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @tehrobster2: I like the work you did, but your shapes almost look a bit too organic. And that material the broad stripe in the top left on the first pic looks a bit weird. I am not really sure what that is supposed to be.

Also I uploaded my shield to sketchfab. First time I tried out their PBR shader and it seems to work quite well so far.
    [SKETCHFAB]431db4d28adb40bfba1585abbdc70341[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Here is my first attempt at PBR-ISH textures. I didn't leave enough geometry in the metal circle in the middle, but never mind! What is a good way to present your models in Unreal?

lZhEI5J.png
  • f1r3w4rr10r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Holly Mellor: I just used a simple empty map, put some light and a reflection capture in there and that was it.
  • fullchaos13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fullchaos13 polycounter lvl 6
    Better late than never!
    sh7zmqZ.jpg
    NaUvr92.jpg
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    Nice fullchaos this shield looks awesome!