Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted wood

Hello,

I want to learn to make hand painted textures, but i find it really hard.
I have started with a piece of wood, and after a lot of tries I have something that I think looks like wood, but I would really like to know how I can improve this or any critiques for that matter.

wood%2Btexture4.jpg

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    good work for your 1st piece really. A few more small details like cuts would make it look more interesting but remember if you plan to tile it small details will look obvious so use them wisely.

I won't go to far into it as I'm also new to this style but I feel as though each wood grain is rounded and it does look odd.. I'd try to keep your surfaces flat and add your shading around the breaks in the grain. It could also be said that it looks a bit flat as there not alot of tone except on the left side which looks nice. try to bring some lighter colors to the area that your light is coming from (the left side)
    Keep at it!
  • vbr2809
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D wrote: »
    good work for your 1st piece really. A few more small details like cuts would make it look more interesting but remember if you plan to tile it small details will look obvious so use them wisely.

I won't go to far into it as I'm also new to this style but I feel as though each wood grain is rounded and it does look odd.. I'd try to keep your surfaces flat and add your shading around the breaks in the grain. It could also be said that it looks a bit flat as there not alot of tone except on the left side which looks nice. try to bring some lighter colors to the area that your light is coming from (the left side)
    Keep at it!

Thank you for the feedback. I was kind of going for the rounded grains, but I could try to flatten it a bit.

I will give it a go with the details too when I get off from work today :)
  • Chronicle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chronicle polycounter lvl 5
    I agree that it just needs some higher level detail. I think you've captured the base detail very well with your stronger lines of grain, now it just needs the next step up in detail and it should be looking fantastic
  • vbr2809
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • vbr2809
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so I added some details and some more light. I also tried to make the grain look more flat.

wood%2Btexture4-1.jpg