Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Maleficent's Throne Room [WIP]

Replies

• Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    asdaq wrote: »
    I second Spudnik's request - I've noticed the thread through FB's feed and can't see any of the images. Any chances on reuploading them somewhere? I'd love to read the whole thread some late evening to get the most from it.

Cheers,
    AQ

+1 here, very interested in this!
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Wow! Seriously, what an awesome surprise to wake up to this morning! I am currently away from my desktop but I'm working as fast as possible to get the images on to imgur (not on fast internet, so upload is chugging along at the moment). I wasn't aware that Dropbox had a bandwith limit! Sorry about that! I guess the final render is a little too big for imgur so for the sake of quality and correct colors, I am currently linking the image from my portfolio.

@ RazorBladder - Hey thanks for the critique! I can say that the stucco isn't using the base render clouds from Photoshop, but do agree that probably more could be done with it, as it is a little uniform in some areas.

@ Noren - Thank you! Your feedback was a huge help in getting the final render to where it is now and I am so grateful for it!

@ AbKI - Thank you so much!

@ nyx702 - Thank you for the kind words! I used your SmartDynamesh tool quite a bit, particularly for the Throne and it was a huge help. Thank you for developing such an awesome script! It was super exciting to find the thread posted on Kotaku this morning!

@ martinszeme - Thank you!!

@ adam - Thanks so much! It's really helped analyzing the entire process and for all the help that the forum has given me, I hope I could return the favor. :)

@ Suule - Thank you! I am not near my desktop so I can't be accurate with the main matcaps I would layer together at the moment, but near the end of the texturing process, I was primarily using the Grey Resin Matcap and would then play around with other matcaps depending on the material. I will do a follow up when I get the chance!

@ Spudnik, asdaq, Sanro - Working on it right now! Will update the thread when I got it all fixed!
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    Phew okay, images fixed!
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Congrats Andy, this came out great. Your not done.....now onto the rest of the castle.....

Maleficent's_Court.jpg

Image_Resize_Merge_images.asp?MiscImage=4002130a
  • Sanro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sanro triangle
    Andy H wrote: »
    Phew okay, images fixed!
    :) thanks!
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    *Slow clap*
    Glad the thread got what it deserved! Tweeted!
    Would still love a breakdown on your texturing process.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Turned out great Andy! Nice job. Awesome breakdown too. Really cool seeing that for the community. Gives a lot of insight into the process.
  • Andy H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andy H polycounter lvl 8
    @ pixelpatron - Haha, thank you! Had a pretty good laugh when I saw this comment. :poly121:

@ Suule - Following up, see below for matcaps used.

@ Sanro - No problem!

@ Ootrick - Hey thanks a lot! Digging through files, turns out I saved all of the stair layers separated. So with that being said, here's a little breakdown:
    17sdjsb.png

After all of those steps, it comes down to sharpening the entire image, sharpening specific details manually, and then adjusting curves.

@ Jeff Parrott - Thank you! Polycount is an excellent community and I wanted to give back what I could while completing the project. :)
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the breakdown! man the scene really came along nicely. And yea, it really seems like even tho when you overlay matcaps render together. You still have to do a lot of handpainted stuff manually.
    If you don't mind me asking, how long did you take to texture the stairs?