Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spider Tank Crit

Working on a spider tank mech thing for a class and this week had to post up here for crit.

Working on creating my low poly from my high currently but I'm open to other ideas on how to make this high just a little bit better.

Red will be an emissive texture in the end.

0iP3yFF.jpg

T2cFT0q.jpg

Reference:

49B1hY6.jpg

619VdYh.jpg

f7c5ebcf76.jpg

Replies

• LadyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started optimizing my low. The goal is to keep it underneath 60k tris and I'm currently sitting at 87k with all 6 legs and symmetry. There are still some pieces left to optimize but I wanted to get an update up tonight.

MLOuNC0.jpg

fc88d78ead.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The most obvious target for optimization are the various hinges on the legs. You can probably reduce the number of sides on each of those cylinders by half without any appreciable loss in quality. You can easily save 4k polygons with the joints alone. (And really, why did you spend well over 10% of your total budget on leg joints?)

The barrels of the minigun are another obvious point - in your wireframe they appear black - but with only 6 of them you will save less. Nevertheless, there's no reason for them to be tubes instead of cylinders given their size, and 12 sides will be more than enough - even 8 will probably work. These changes alone will net 500 or so fewer polys.

Overall, consider the relative size of the model in game; if it's like the two concept images then many of your smaller details won't even be visible.
  • LadyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so, I got this baby down to about 50k tris. DWalker had some good points and I addressed them first. As I was unwrapping I discovered more places that I could optimize the mesh, but I am running out of time on this project, unfortunately!

At this point it's just a matter of finishing it up by adding some decals and final little bits of detail.

Some screens from Marmoset with two different skies (maps are the same in both).

gL3C2h7.png

JOvfVpg.png

WnVFOR9.png

UD5Sv4t.png
  • LadyV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started some decal work.

V5ahUb0.png

DfeMZjW.png