Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

OTs-38 Stetchkin silenced revolver

insane polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
update from page 3

002.jpg

decided to do this gun next on a suggestion from gauss. started the blockout so far as a lil speed model.

GvHv3lV.jpg

APFG6as.jpg

Replies

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet,That's a great choice for a gun!

Looking forward to seeing progress.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks ryan. a little further this morning

TV9pyBx.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good!

Not sure how final everything is, but at the top of the wood grip, there's a little curve indent where the selector fits into. Just a minor observation, coming along great!
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx guys. threw the hinge in there, cut some more holes in the frame, some lil tweaks

p6skN3x.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Ah nice choice! Some cool shapes :D

Keep it up, nice work as always!
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Hey! Looks really good! keep working on it, I can't wait to see this done!

Cheers!
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    That is an odd gun with interesting shapes.

Nice work! Interesting how the cylinder opens up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where do you keep finding these? This one is adorable too. Now I want to model it.

Oh, Jack, yes it all makes sense now.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, thanks everyone :)

teeny update

Q2sPapK.jpg

djBEkls.jpg

realized like 5 minutes ago that the barrel is the bottom one, not the top, lol, so i'll have to close that up.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    oops these are not bakes, sorry
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    You are one of my favourite artists on polycount! Really love this as well! Nice work!
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha! I discovered that adorable gun yesterday and thought damn, I should make that. You beat me to it, gj!
  • Pedro Amorim
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The grip feels rather thick.

The bullets for this gun are rather odd; they're cylinders rather than the traditional shape, and they protrude a bit from the clip.
    1287754262.jpg
    a_sp-4_9x19.jpg
    The barrel is not the top cylinder, but the lower one; the upper cylinder is for the laser sight.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow! i had that top reference but i assumed it was just a cartridge without a projectile loaded. that's cool.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    btw, thanks to everyone for the kind comments above. more work. fixed the bullets and barrel/laser. i don't have any real reference of the hinge or parts of the frame or the feed area, did my best. should get to the lowpoly soon

4rI6LQV.jpg
  • igi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    igi polycounter lvl 12
    just wow, very interesting shapes you got there.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks igi.

didn't really have a morning today so i just did lowpoly/uvs for a couple parts after work

93BEW04.jpg

heres another shot of the HP

ovX6lHq.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Tim270
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tim270 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks really nice and chunky in fpv
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Ben tell me you're going to do PBR this time round? Your Atchisson was great work but it felt like it was held back as a pure show piece by staying with previous-gen DSGN maps and not going PBR (and by the 1024 textures as well).
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laurens, c'mon dude... Using diffuse/spec has nothing to do with pbr. The metalness workflow is just a different way to pack the content. Can we please stop perpetuating this myth?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Hm it looks like you should use a higher subdevision for your highpoly as there are all these pinchy artefacts due to the too low polycount of the highpoly. Your highpoly images look kinda like a baked lowpoly
    If you turned a subdivision down to export to marmoset, then nevermind!
    Don't be so scroogey on those polys man, you can make those guns really flawless, why not go for it : P Step away from those third person specs, it only hurts your portfolio without reason. You can always go down, nobody is questioning that

Also your edges are like over the top soft. If thats your style and it should appear a little stylized, I get that, but in case you aim for realism, I would use bit little less chunky edges definitely. I feel it hurts the model.
    There is no reason to have perfect edge consistency either. Not all edges are the same width (in RL) Some are softer some are razor sharp, you can play with that. It feels like you tried making all exactly the same.
    Proportions and all looks spot on man, but its your game, just want to help!
  • Misuo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool! Nice work!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but if his high poly looks like a baked lowpoly.. when he bakes it should be all good yea? if this were a cinematic asset then sure but it works fine for a game model. i get what you're saying shrike but at the end of the day if this is intended to be something like a 3rd person weapon.. just adding more geometry for the sake of it looking smoother could be a waste of time imo. even in the fpv shot it looks pretty damn fantastic. the smoothing may help with a few pixels of shading but aside from that the gains would be pretty minimal
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thoughts always appreciated and considered :thumbup: thanks for the replies everyone

didn't have a lot of time today again. usually i get up at 5:30 so I can work on shit but last couple days it's been more like 7:30 which screws me up. i wanted to get something done today though so i did the cylinder and hammer after work. altogether it's like 2k so far. been UVing progressively as well. normally i would do test bakes first but hey... nothings packed yet.

bPXluhX.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Laurens, c'mon dude... Using diffuse/spec has nothing to do with pbr. The metalness workflow is just a different way to pack the content. Can we please stop perpetuating this myth?

Oops! I really didn't mean this in a bad way, i genuinely thought he'd used old-school maps for the Atchisson since it didn't feel properly PBR to me. Looking at it again, I can see why I thought so; a lot of values are not conform PBR standards, it's done in still a bit of an old-school mentality that I saw many of our artists do when we just got started with it.

But whatever, if critique like that is not appreciated I'll shut up.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Oops! I really didn't mean this in a bad way, i genuinely thought he'd used old-school maps for the Atchisson since it didn't feel properly PBR to me. Looking at it again, I can see why I thought so; a lot of values are not conform PBR standards, it's done in still a bit of an old-school mentality that I saw many of our artists do when we just got started with it.

I actually went and checked his values and most of them are quite close to what I would expect for pbr, maybe a few % over in some cases, his wood material was like 25-29% sRGB which is 5-7% linear, so totally in line with the typical 2-8% insulators reflect in (plus its a lacquered material, so you get reflection from the wood itself and coating).

There was some minor stuff like subtle variation in the spec that doesn't make a whole lot of sense physically, but it wouldn't really make much of a difference to the end result.
    But whatever, if critique like that is not appreciated I'll shut up.
    Haha, no nothing like that, I thought it was just another "oh you're not using metalness, must not be pbr" reply that I see so often these days. Sorry if I came off like a dick. I would actually be curious to know which values you thought were wrong.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i think the latest rendering crazes can make us too uptight about values. i say as usual that we should compare results to references and go from there. sometimes i experiment and do things you shouldn't do, like put colors in dialectric specs. i suspect this is what laurens is getting at. i dunno though. maybe we'll find out later it's not so wrong. oil from hands. i do not know.

got the frame about half-done, meanwhile did a bake test for these parts

s2dTyRl.jpg
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    I love the chunky forms and how well they baked down. Good stuff. Can't wait to see more.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    What is it about soviet era design that looks so cool? Is it just because I am a westerner and it is something different?

Nice modeling.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys. still crunching the lowpoly together, and still more to do.

i don't usually do HP reduction to get an LP, usually i do a blockout and then fork it into both the HP and the LP. on this particular project i went block > HP > LP, and well, it's just a bad way to work imo. huge waste of time deleting all this shit and stitching it together.

ksMN2ch.jpg
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model almost done. still attaching/reducing the grips, and probably gonna model in a few more screws than i have right now.

BaP1mUA.jpg

TO1Tzxo.jpg
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
    Looks sweet, lookin forward to the texture.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teach me how to be you.

Is PBR like the new thing? or is using diffuse/norm/spec like going away?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
  • cR45h
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cR45h polycounter lvl 7
    Looks neat but I'm really not liking the whole no subdiv hp thing. The idea is cool but it doesn't work too well for a piece this small imo. Bakes look super wonky in some places throwing the whole thing off. Since realistically this wont be used anywhere except portfolio (like that atchisson), I'd subdivide some areas for the sake of a clean looking bake.

pic

Most of these wont be too noticeable with textures but those that will, will make the whole thing seem half assed.

e: annd you ninja'd me with basic textures pic
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sometimes i make geo mistakes, you can make bad geo with subdivision too. i don't see this as a battle of techniques, i still subd model all the time. but i didn't on this.

dialing in values here

VuhMyKQ.jpg
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Tasty Jam up in here. You are cranking these out like crazy.

Can we get another Rising Sun camo skin?
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks harry. i've been pretty good about doing at least a little work on these every day so it keeps the clip up. reusing the texture (cobray > atchisson > this) helps too.
    tonyd927 wrote: »

PBR refers to a loose collection of rendering features (conservation of energy, linear space lighting, fresnel, etc) which won't be going anywhere because they're realistic elements of how light works. Diffuse/spec/gloss is just an alternative to color/metalness, nobody knows if one of those will come to dominate or if we'll just keep using both for a while, they're kind of interchangeable and it doesn't matter a lot.

I like the extra control you get with D/S/G but i also realize it lets me do unrealistic things sometimes compared to a metalness workflow. I've been meaning to try working with metalness, i actually just keep forgetting lol, but i understand it fine.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonyd927 wrote: »
    teach me how to be you.

Someone asked me something similar in a pm, so I'll repost it here as well.
    Me wrote:
    The big myth is that the d/s/g/n workflow is somehow "not pbr". That is simply not correct in any way, its really important to understand that the d/s/g/n workflow is simply a set of inputs, just like the metalness workflow, neither are mutually exclusive or inclusive to PBR.

When using logical values, the d/s/g/n workflow can be just as physically accurate as the metalness workflow, and actually moreso on a technical level, for instance non-metals in a metalness workflow typically get tagged as uncolored 4% reflective while in reality various insulators reflect in the 2-8% range. Also, while UE4 has to some extent popularized the metalness workflow with their PBR system, Cryengeine uses the specular workflow for their PBR, and we at Marmoset support both workflows.

Now, it can be argued that if your texture inputs for the d/s/g/n have illogical values, then you're breaking the system. This applies to the metalness workflow in exactly the same way though. I see a lot of inexperienced artists using completely random values in their metalness map, which essentially breaks the whole pbr system.

What really makes a pbr system is two things:
    1. Shaders that simulate the physics of light and matter as well as possible
    2. Art content that is calibrated and uses logical values as much as possible

Whether you're using full color specular maps or metalness maps has no bearing on whether the end result is physically accurate. Both systems can be broken to the point where physical accuracy is lost, and both input systems could be implimented in a NPR (non-photo realistic) rendering pipeline.

I hope this helps. I'm actually working on an article that explains a lot of this (and how to easily convert content from one workflow to another). Though much of what I've written here is explained in my previous tutorial as well: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Sorry for tl;dr Ben
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like to make the renders :poly122:

9hL1PpT.jpg

I4azK64.jpg
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Wow. This looks great!

Thanks for taking the time to post wire-frames and everything as you make this.
    slingin gats out the trap at sledgehammer games

:D
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking tasty as always sir