Home Contests & Challenges Archives Arms & Armor, Chivalry: Medieval Workshop

Arms & Armor: Questions & Answers

Replies

• JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I keep trying to import an FBX file into the SDK and it constantly crashes,any possible solutions?

A?: Importing as a skeletal mesh presumably? Are you importing any LODs with it?

One possible source of crashing is bad weighting. Nuke your skinning and start from scratch to see if that's it.

Sometimes an unreal package will get sort of broken and crash on importing otherwise fine fbxs, in which case you need to start a new package. We had one artist on Chivalry who had that happen several times, nobody else managed to cause it to happen.

Another more obscure crash happens with meshes exported from unreal and then reimported, for some reason it exports the mesh parented to a helper with the same name as the mesh and if you don't delete that before reimporting the importer will crash.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Is there a wireframe option in game? lol

There's wireframe viewmode in the editor (alt+2 or click the icon on the top row)

You can also create a wireframe material by checking the 'wireframe' box under misc in the material editor.

Thanks for the reply. I was curious if there is an option for wireframe while actually playing the game. For whatever reason I can't seem to see my weapon in game.. i can see it in the editor fine.. but not in game. Which is why I was curious about wireframe, maybe just the material isn't working for me. Who knows! :D
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    JO420 wrote: »
    I keep trying to import an FBX file into the SDK and it constantly crashes,any possible solutions?

A?: Importing as a skeletal mesh presumably? Are you importing any LODs with it?

One possible source of crashing is bad weighting. Nuke your skinning and start from scratch to see if that's it.

Sometimes an unreal package will get sort of broken and crash on importing otherwise fine fbxs, in which case you need to start a new package. We had one artist on Chivalry who had that happen several times, nobody else managed to cause it to happen.

Another more obscure crash happens with meshes exported from unreal and then reimported, for some reason it exports the mesh parented to a helper with the same name as the mesh and if you don't delete that before reimporting the importer will crash.

No Lods,just 1 weapon,skinned weapon. Went through all possible fixes and no answer yet.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    JO420 wrote: »
    No Lods,just 1 weapon,skinned weapon. Went through all possible fixes and no answer yet.
    Does your mesh have any non 4 or 3 sided polys? That use to happened alot to me.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    So i sorted out with a little help from the guy at Torn Banner who runs the wiki.

The issue was with the skinning and once i ditched that and redid it,it worked out fine.

Two Questions though.

I cant quite figure out how to save my package as a .UDK file in there editor,how do I go about that? Been developing on Unity seemingly forever now so I cant remember.

A: its shown in step 1.6 of this document, but basically you right click on your unsaved package in the new packages area, and choose save package. make sure to save it into ContentSDK and not into cookedPC

Secondly,is there a way to take your weapon and play with it once implemented? Probably unlikely but it be fun to run and swing it around a bit.

A: Yes, but it requires editing script files and recooking the game as a mod. we currently dont have a simple way to do this for users unfortunately.
    as an alternative, you can add your weapon to the character using the socket manager and test it in 3rd person.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Bruin polycounter lvl 10
    For helmets, do we need to put polys in where the head blocks the players view, i.e. the inside of the helmet? Or are you using a double sided material for the helmets?

A: Helmets will be knocked off as static meshes so they need to contain some geometry to prevent players from seeing through the mesh.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    For helmets, do we need to put polys in where the head blocks the players view, i.e. the inside of the helmet? Or are you using a double sided material for the helmets?

There are no double sided materials.
    So you will have to use polys on the inside.
    Also. The helmets can be knocked off, so the inside will need to be fully modeled.
  • McGuire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGuire polycounter lvl 4
    I'm having some issues once I get my weapon in the editor. My specular map seems to be amplified considerably even though the values I used match the reference weapon very closely. Second; after loading my weapon on the workshop I cannot subscribe to it to test it in game - what gives?

A: there is a specular map parameter in our material. that could possibly be the issue. Described in section 1.8 of this document, There is no way to test the items ingame currently. Subscribing only works on mods/maps

Third and the biggest issue is if I go to reopen the mod after the SDK closes, opening the package crashes the SDK. I'm currently uninstalling and reinstalling hoping to reset default settings to just re-import and remake the package.

EDIT: Reinstalling did not fix anything.

Any insight onto what might be causing these issues would be greatly appreciated.

A: you should not need to make a mod for importing items into chivalry, just open the editor and create a new package in the ContentSDK folder. if you want to modify the games code that requires re-cooking/building scripts. and therefore needs to be built as a mod.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Hey do I have to use the same blood masks as the original weapons or can I create my own?

A: Entrants are required to create their own bloodmasks for weapon submissions, heres a tutorial on that process.
  • Uzziel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uzziel polycounter lvl 7
    Is it possible to provide 2 textures sets (Agatha/Mason) for one weapon?
    I know a weapon (which is not part of a set) can be shared between Agatha/Mason, but it would be really great to have the possibility to provide 2 different sets for the same mesh to have distinctive/perfectly adapted look.

It's a kind of "set" for one weapon : )

Thanks!

A(Revised): no, this would be inconsistent with our rules of having one primary weapon per set. even though it is a texture. its fine if you wish to put some design cues from one team into your weapon.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Ooo oooo one more question,do flails require a special set up? Like a more complex bone set up?

A: Yes, Flails have more bones than regular weapons.
  • Notes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notes polycounter lvl 4
    Totally non game related but the grand prize winner's printed 3d model...is it life sized?!

A: The print will be valued at $500. the size will depend on the object being printed, but it will not be life sized. under 1 ft definitely.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another question: I made my helmet in a way that allows it to be in an opened / closed state. However, I do not know what you would prefer in terms of submission. So I've got a few questions:

1. Is it ok to submit 2 variations of this helmet as part of the set? Or is only one version allowed to be entered?

A: yes you may submit an open and closed version of your helmet, many of the chivalry helmets have this

2. If I can enter both, for the texture maps, would you prefer 2 unique texture maps (some geometry is exposed on the closed version compared to the open version) for each state of the helmet, or have the textures on one single map? Is it ok to share a texture across multiple meshes?

A: It is preferable to keep both helmets on one texture, even if it means having some less than optimal texture usage.

3. I assume there are no helmet animations, correct? I can make the asset actually functional (a bit more poly expensive and would need an extra rig bone) if the helmet can be opened/closed during gameplay.

A: the open and closed versions are treated as completely separate helms in the customization menu, so there's no need for this kind of functionality.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    Any reason for most of the reference meshes being tilted/off-center? Same goes for the heads, some at random orientations, some having random translation values or keys. For the helmets are we supposed to use the head ref mesh or the body ref mesh (they're the same obviously, but does world position/orientation matter?)

http://i.imgur.com/zKHJxbf.jpg

A: You should align your modelling to the head ref mesh, the origin point on the head refs are where the origin for your helmet needs to be and are correctly rotated. The body meshes are more for getting an overall feel of your helmet without having to import it into the sdk.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got a technical question, sorta/kinda unrelated to the contest rules, so hopefully that's ok. I am having a problem with the normal map as outlined in my post on my WIP thread, however I'll post my problem here for visibility.

Here is the seam issue in the preview window:

5pOhx13.png

I made sure to import the map with the green channel flipped, as well as setting the texture group to CharacterNormal. This normal map is from xNormal. Bringing an object space map (from either xNormal or Maya) into Handplane and converting it to an Unreal specific tangent space map actually gets a more noticeable seam.

Do you have any ideas what might cause this seaming & how to fix it? Thanks.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    I wanted to ask if weapons will ever be constrained to teams like helms, it seems odd to encourage emblem incorporation but then make the items/weapons accessible to both sides. As cool as this weapon is, Agatha is going to look kinda bizarre rocking it, no?

A (revised): as in uzziels post, we're allowing team specific weapons, so logos, colors and designs used on weapons CAN be specific to the team that the set is being made for
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Is the proper location to submit,within the Chivalry SDK? I was a little bit confused to if that is the proper location or is there a place to submit a final submission within the games workshop area within Steam.

The reason I ask is when I submitted,the guidelines said to tag your submission with "Poly Count Contest" But I was unsure where to put that tag.

Also if there is a different location to submit your entry,does it disqualify your entry if submitted in the wrong location?

A: This tutorial covers the process of uploading your item to the workshop. you must check the "Polycount Contest" box in the uploader when you create your workshop submission.
    Your submission will not be disqualified for being in the wrong location until the end of the contest.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    Your final workshop upload must include your final unreal .UPK, along with the final FBX for models and .TGA for textures.They can be uploaded as either .zip or .7z.
    So I should pack my UPK with FBX and textures into one ZIP and upload it?
    Also If I make set, I should upload two items: one for helmet and one for weapon, right?

And also where should I put the tag? In the description or there will be option after I upload it to Workshop?

A: Yes the UPK and relevant source files should be packaged together, in the case of a set of multiple items, they should all be included in the same file. Tag the item in the uploader, using the "Polycount Contest" tag when you create your submission.
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can we model other weapons not listed on the Primary Weapons list on this page? Like the Pole Axe for the Knight, is that regarded as a Primary weapon?

That's an error on the page, Pollaxe is definitely a legitimate primary weapon.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    ParadoxTLH wrote: »
    Can we model other weapons not listed on the Primary Weapons list on this page? Like the Pole Axe for the Knight, is that regarded as a Primary weapon?

You can but your entry wont qualify for the contest, I looked closely at the rules and its only primary weapons.

To clairify, the pole axe was missing by accident, if you make a submission for it it WILL qualify for the contest, this has been updated in the rules page
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Hey there has been some chatter going around that the weapons should/should not be team specific so if you make a sword with an eagle on it, it would be a bad idea because that only relates to the Mason's team. Does that matter or is that why we are stating the team we're creating for?

A: your weapon sets can be team specific, they will not be disqualified if they contain team specific designs/imagery
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    , in the case of a set of multiple items, they should all be included in the same file.

Okay. In this case what item type should I select? Or it doesn't matter in this case?
  • langfordwj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Need some clarification here.

This is from the official announcement and requirements.
    Each class in the game has a unique list of weapon types they are able to use. Below is a list of the classes with the corresponding primary weapons. The weapons can be team agnostic, but if you are submitting a weapon bundled with a helmet, it should match the style of the team the helmet is for. As an example: a Mason Knight’s Flail should not look like an Agatha Knight’s Flail. Please review the requirements page for more details and directions on the styles.
    That seems to pretty heavily imply that the weapons are faction specific along with the helmets.

Now I'm hearing that the weapons shouldn't be faction specific? If this is true you've pretty much setup a dozen entries to fail with this sudden change in the rules...

A: To clairify, team specific weapons are allowed, we want the style to fit between the helmet and weapons. I had been trying to say that literally putting the team logo on a weapon was not allowed, but since there so much confusion im going to edit the post and remove reference to that. as its not something we will be requiring for entry's to be considered valid.
  • langfordwj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the clarification and I'm glad that's the case. I was pretty bummed at first since there are several very interesting team specific weapons and as a long time player they looked pretty exciting.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Do we need to make LODs for anything we submit?
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    jfitch wrote: »
    Should we create LODs or are those generated by the engine?

A: LODs are not required for items. We will make them in house upon integrating the items into the game.
    -
  • Ivenend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ivenend polycounter lvl 3
    Q: Only the 12 items(set) win the prizes will be placed in the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare store or some other items which don't win the prizes will also be placed in the Chivalry: Medieval Warfare store?

A: Any submissions that don't win will still be eligible to put in the game at a later time should we choose to add them. they will also be voted on by the community and this will help us decide which ones to integrate. however i cant promise when/if we will be adding more items to the game
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    If we create a set of a weapon and helmet, should be put those in the same package or should we keep everything in a separate package?

A: Keep them in separate packages, following the structure laid out in the creation guides
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    Not sure if anyone asked, but wanted to make sure. Coloured Specular is okay?

A: Yes colored spec is fine.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    Once you have committed an item to the work shop and you want to make an adjustment to a file related to what you have committed. Is there a way to re commit adjustments made to the files?
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    I got my model into the engine, and it looks great! Thanks for the tutorial on that! How do I get it onto a player model to do the presentation shots like I've seen a lot of other people doing?
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I got my model into the engine, and it looks great! Thanks for the tutorial on that! How do I get it onto a player model to do the presentation shots like I've seen a lot of other people doing?
    Read this tutorial:
    https://tornbannerjira.atlassian.net/wiki/display/CHIVCOM/Tutorial%3A+Adding+new+helmets+to+Chivalry

We do that through Socket Manager.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I want to make a weapon and helm for more than one class. How do I phrase this in the thread title or do I make multiple threads for each separate class?

A: make a new thread for each item set, you may not make more than one primary weapon per set.
  • sgtscience
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sgtscience polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the link! Is there any restriction on items bearing religious iconography that is accurate to the time period? Depictions of religious symbols, saints, or gods? Certainly I am not thinking of anything that is preaching religious ideals outside of the context of the game, but I think such iconography was present at the time.

A: we try to avoid any specific religious iconography, try to find a way make it your own and its not a problem
  • artizan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artizan polycounter lvl 9
    sorry I couldn't find an answer to this: are we required to model scabbards too for the swords?

A: No, characters doesn't have scabbards attached
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    artizan wrote: »
    sorry I couldn't find an answer to this: are we required to model scabbards too for the swords?
    No, characters doesn't have scabbards attached
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do I attach the Poleaxe to the character? I see that there is a "3p_halberd [116]" dropdown under the AnimSet list in the AnimSet Editor, however I do not see anything for the Poleaxe. Is there a specific category for the Poleaxe, or does it share a group with a different weapon (like the halberd)?

Second question, how do I actually test my assets in game? I've got it in the editor, but how do I equip it to a character so I can run around with it? I don't see anything on the wiki.

Third and last question related to the second, for the beauty presentation shots, are you expecting the screenshots to be from the AnimSet Editor, or actually in game?

A:
    1. the pollaxe uses the double axe animations. (3p_doubleaxe [103])
    2. you cant play using your weapon ingame, it requires editing the cooked game content and making a mod. using the socket manager to preview you items should be enough to test all the issues you need to worry about.
    3. either one is fine, though to get the best results you'd likely want to setup a scene to show your submission in using the editor.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    3p_halberd [116]" dropdown under the AnimSet list in the AnimSet Editor, however I do not see anything for the Poleaxe
    Ignore that list, you need to open Socket manager and place your skeletal mesh in needed socket. Read Helmet Tutorial, how they place helmet on a head.
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How can I change the title of my WIP thread ?
    A: Just PM me and Ill change it for you
  •  Chris Bruin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And yet another question...

Is there a wikipage for setting up the Crossbow rig? I have no idea how you guys set up this rig (what is skinned to what in the example mesh? Smooth or rigid binding?) Do I just rigid bind the whole thing to the root node? I got it in to the editor, but I am almost certain that I rigged it wrong. Thanks!

A: the crossbow should be smooth bound to the skeleton utilizing all relevant bones. for more detail on how to vertex weight the objects, heres the link to my reply in your thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2142888&postcount=5

I will be adding this with some more information to the documentation
  • Mato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q:
    I'm making a heavy crossbow and I was trying to check if I've skinned my model properly and encountered some weird results. I used the source model as a reference how to skin my model. While testing this in the Unreal editor for Chivalry I got these weird results with the string (as shown in the first picture). Then I decided to try the source files with following results (second pic). When trying the same with the original ingame model (which is found in the editor) stretching doesn't happen.

omabowi_1.jpg
    My model with source models bones and similar skinning.

sourcebowi_2.jpg
    Source model in AnimSet Editor.

ingamebowi_3.jpg
    The ingame heavy crossbow.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Can I trust the heavy crossbow source model nevertheless?

I tried to redownload the source file if you guys would have updated it or something but I'm unable to redownload it due to following error:
    "Sorry, you can't view or download this file at this time. Too many users have viewed or downloaded this file recently. Please try accessing the file again later. If the file you are trying to access is particularly large or is shared with many people, it may take up to 24 hours to be able to view or download the file. If you still can't access a file after 24 hours, contact your domain administrator."

Is the problem with me or in the source model?
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, if we are submitting a set should we include both our helmet and weapon in one upk package or should it be separate. Do you have any preference?

A: Please have your weapon and helmet .upk's seperate. Thanks
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    few posts before
    If we create a set of a weapon and helmet, should be put those in the same package or should we keep everything in a separate package?

A: Keep them in separate packages, following the structure laid out in the creation guides
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can I use alphas in Zbrush ?
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Can I use alphas in Zbrush ?

In zbrush it's fine. In UDK, no alpha maps, no double sided materials.
  • Imperium101
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    I just saw a strange issue. I tried to share my workshop link on Linkedin:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=318508213
    And i see text: This item has been banned because it violates the Steam Terms of Service. It is only visible to you

I tried item from other user: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316873824
    And got the same problem.

But for example hound set, works correctly, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314865196&

I've contacted steam support, maybe you guys should also check your submissions, maybe there is some error in workshop.
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Zelfit wrote: »
    I just saw a strange issue. I tried to share my workshop link on Linkedin:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=318508213
    And i see text: This item has been banned because it violates the Steam Terms of Service. It is only visible to you

I tried item from other user: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316873824
    And got the same problem.

But for example hound set, works correctly, http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=314865196&

I've contacted steam support, maybe you guys should also check your submissions, maybe there is some error in workshop.

Just clicked on it and it seems to work for me.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    No, links work correct, but when you share them on Linkedin parser places that text instead of description. Maybe it is only Linkedin issue, I don't know.
  • Imperium101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have 35'000 polys... Is there a software to lower the polycount or some technique ?