Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Getting back in the habit!

OK as the title suggests this is me getting back in the habit of doing some 3D work and finally getting motivated to get good enough to get that game art position that is my ultimate goal!

Over the past year or so I’ve been struggling with my motivation and drive, starting and stopping projects but from reading posts on polycount from how people have managed their struggles with the same issues and the motivational posts/vids on CRTL+Paint I’ve achieved my new resolve and hoping my fellow polycounters can share some critiques and advice for the work I’ll be posting in this thread

I know it’s going to be a long road but I like to think of this as the first step XD

So… time to get to work!

My first project is tackling one of my weak points, texturing, and specifically normal mapping. I’m working on a small quick truck wheel that should be a good starting place with the treads and such.

The image on the left is the state of the current low poly as I unwrap it to then copy the missing sections that will share the same UV space, the middle is the high poly that I have already modeled and the 3rd is an image of what the low poly will look like with a wire frame!

Crits and advice welcome and encourage!

8PKNBii.jpg

Replies

• owlfrog
    Offline / Send Message
    owlfrog polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe it's just me, but the center of the wheel looks a bit too high profile (tiny rims). I'd scale it larger if it is meant to be a truck tire, also I think you can reuse 1/8 of the tire for the whole thing (for the rubber portion) since it doesn't have any real differences. Just my two cents! Keep it up!
  • owlfrog
    Offline / Send Message
    owlfrog polycounter lvl 5
    Also make the wheel well more indented, it looks too flat. Possibly find a reference you can use to help, I know older trucks have great designs to them!
  • crestas69
    Cheers for the feedback owlfrog! Yea I think your right about the center of the wheel I’ve looked at it so long the flaws are starting to look correct XD as for the 1/8 of the tier I’m hoping to add some tier details like make and psi info to the flat surface so I’m not sure how I can cut up and re-use the face of the wheel without cloning unless you can give any suggestions, though I probably will chop off a bit more of the tread to re-use.

I’ll be working on it some more after work and will post some updates then!
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Post the reference you are using so we can give you better feedback. Looks like a big loader tire. I could point out things, but there are many loaders, and many more tires. Show us yours. :)
  • crestas69
    Haha very good point commador, I will indeed show you mine! But only coz u asked so nicely :P

In case it help the vehicle is call a titan hauler

S6gsym3.jpg
    dsXieSY.jpg
  • crestas69
    Ok little update before I drop off.

Started looking at the models proportions again like owlfrog suggested with the rims and realized there is a lot of proportional issues which I been fixing tonight as well as cutting the model up that little more to make the most out of my UV space! Pics to follow tomorrow after I got it a bit more presentable.

Cheers for the advice so far everyone.
  • crestas69
    Ok! I got done and dirty with the high poly again tweaking here and there. Thank you again for the advice I think the alterations are making a difference.

Here is where the high poly is at currently, any more advice is welcome!

a2TYXFo.jpg
  • crestas69
    Hey, thought I would post a bit of an update / call for help.

Been working away at my normal map and in general everything is looking cool, except for 1 glaring problem. My UV islands are shading my model in different gradients! But the normal looks OK beside that lol

If anyone has any advice or suggestions that would be awesome.

More info on the issue can be seen here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133696
  • crestas69
    Ok! The Zbrush tutorial marathon has finished and work has begun in earnest.

Thoughts and crits are Welcome!

ZmBStem.jpg
  • crestas69
    Ok so after another hour or two I could squeeze into tonight I got the detail on the inner rubber of the wheel close to what I want, I may revisit it again once I get a better overall picture of the thing.

I started on the tred area of the wheel when it occurred to me the corners of the tred inserts would receive a lot of wear from the direction that it would be driven in so I will be softening and smoothing those edges even more than they were previously.

I have also started the scratches and wear on the tred faces though I’m not sure if there looking quite right ye I think I need a bit more source material too look at!

As always crits welcome!

qNfBeBU.jpg
    DK0IBE7.jpg
  • crestas69
    Hey, another post of progress, been doing a little work on the scratches for the tread not as far as I would have liked but will be doing much more tomorrow.

As always feedback welcome I would love to know what people think of if there any suggestions for improvement!

Cheers

BAmZ3g8.jpg
  • crestas69
    And for today’s bank holiday update!
    Just about finished the directional wear and tear for one side of the tread so I’m quite happy with what I got done today and feel like I learned a bit with my mark making and how familiar I’m becoming since I started, though still have so, so much more to learn!

Comments?

doJhHkl.jpg
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Matthew,

Good progress so far. I don't want you to feel like you need to rework your tire, but I've made a little paintover for how the shape of the tire carcass should look. The lugs are fine.

emAhikg.jpg
  • crestas69
    I think I understand what you mean. You want me to round off the angle of the inserts in the wheel tread?

looking at the source images i see what you mean its a LOT more rounder than mine.

Cheers commador, I've spent a while on it now I'm not seeing the issues staring me in the face
  • crestas69
    Update*
    Moving onto my next project, of a mausoleum, got the learning I was looking for out of the wheel and thought I would move onto a major project. Still in the early stages, getting shape, scale and silhouette correct

5QhVCm6.jpg

7IP5Jbs.jpg
  • YakZSmelk
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    crestas69 wrote: »
    I think I understand what you mean. You want me to round off the angle of the inserts in the wheel tread?

looking at the source images i see what you mean its a LOT more rounder than mine.

Cheers commador, I've spent a while on it now I'm not seeing the issues staring me in the face

Whoa! What happened to the tire? You got feedback and dropped it?
  • crestas69
    Hey YakZSmelk, I haven’t dropped the tire I continued with it for some time trying to round out those corners mentioned (with little success) and adding more surface detail to the wheel. The wheel was a Zbrush project that I started for practice and will be continuing with, I have just also started a small building piece as well.

Speaking of little success of curving the corners can anyone give some suggestions on the best method of doing this? I’m still an inexperienced ZBrush user and any attempts to round off the indents have resulted in also relaxing the angle leading into the tread
  • crestas69
    Update*

Made some more progress, finished off the door and placed, created a vase to decorate the area a bit and cleaned up the model in places, should be ready to take this into ZBrush tomorrow hopefully and finish off the sculpting on the tier while I’m at it :D

8y5oCo4.jpg
  • crestas69
    Update*
    Another days work done, didn’t get as far as I wanted to though. Hit a little bit of a wall about how I wanted the step banister to look but it seems to have turned out ok. Next step is to clean up some areas then get straight into Zbrush to detail this bad boy up. Hopefully the detailing won’t take too long as about 60-70% of this is modular. The fun continues tomorrow :D

F0Ax7Qv.jpg
  • Black_Stormy
    Offline / Send Message
    Black_Stormy polycounter lvl 8
    That wheel sure is high detail. Nice. Although am I the only one who prefers to draw things like the embossed "YOKOHAMA" and the scrathes in on the normal map? Sculpting just takes so long. Regardless, it's good practice.
  • crestas69
    Cheers Black_Stormy, I must admit the detail seems to take a while but I feel it gives me little more control than painting straight onto the normal, at least to me it does, plus the the "YOKOHAMA" is just an alpha that's I masked off and standard brushed out a bit :D
  • crestas69
    It’s been a while since I updated this but I have been continuing with the project, with time restriction I haven’t been able to put as much time as I would have liked into this but any spare hour I have here and there I have put into it so its coming along slowly … very slowly but been enjoying every second of it

These are some screenshots of an improved door from above in high poly I will be doing a low and a bake at some point but I wanted to get the whole mausoleum in high first

Crits welcome :)

uf4Q5lc.jpg

OfB97t1.jpg

bNUansw.jpg

XwIjIOF.jpg