Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Gatekeeper" Rail Gun

Hey guys, here's another project on my long winded attempt to become better at hard surface modeling. Concept was just a small thumbnail sketch, and most of the time was spent on the design as I went. I have the finished high poly and I plan to take it down to a game ready asset, so stay tuned for that. Colors are sort of placeholder at the moment, I want to bring in a lot more flavor with the textures. Comments and critique welcome as always!

33upfew.jpg
5evpf4.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking sweet, but edges are very offline CG-like and it wont translate too well
    to a lowpoly like that

From a railgun I expect a extraordinary long and massive barrel. Strenght translates to size in the human mind. Also why would you have the arm of a titan holding just a small gun ? Proportions really hurt it and visual balance is very off currently. Your vertical forms demand a horizontal counterweight and your weight at the back demands atelast some sort of counterweight frontal

Reducing the height of the upper block also helps

It also dosnt look like a turret if you leave your description away

here is a paintover of what I would suggest, but its your thing, do as you please ; )

prop.png
    Even longer at best

On another note, presentation is nice, but your font is even at max size barely readable due to beeing too thin (make sure its at its intended px. size so it dosnt alias as much) A cool trick is to just dublicate the text if you dont want to make it bold.
    your logo has a whole different style and is way bulkier than your text, looking out of place but thats another topic, hope that helps!

Edit: Also a coilgun ive seen a while ago
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWeJsaCiGQ0
    The repeating elements, the copper spirals and the cables make it
    look very authentic
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    Shrike wrote: »
    From a railgun I expect a extraordinary long and massive barrel. Strenght translates to size in the human mind

Railguns also require a long barrel. Unlike a traditional gun where the acceleration is independent of the barrel length, the projectile of a railgun accelerates only while in contact with the "rails". This is a result of the lorentz force, which will only occur when the projectile completes the circuit. Here is a diagram:

Railgun-1.svg

Railguns also require a massive burst of energy to fire. This is generally achieved through capacitor banks connected to a large power supply. Thus I would suggest adding in hints of this. Large external cabling, a built in or external capacitor bank.

As it stands it looks more like a railgun mount than an actual gun.

Here are some images of home-made railguns/coilguns which nicely show off the capacitors.

home-made-rail-gun.jpg

diy-coilgun.jpg

4120558227_687904dd96.jpg?w=580

I also feel like the hydraulics here are a little weak design wise, I would look up some references if you didn't already.

8e7943456c.jpg
  • BendE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Incredible feedback guys! Admittedly I guess I didn't do quite enough research before jumping into the design.

@shrike that paintover was a great help, now that you point out the balancing issues it seems super obvious. I had never thought about the horizontal forms matching the vertical. As for the font choice, I agree, I'll work on fixing that!

@ghaztehschmexeh thanks a ton for the explanations! Really knowing the logic behind it is sure to help me out. As for the hydraulics, I used a dump truck lift as the reference, but I'm not sure the size of the mechanism on the turret translates well, doesn't quite seem like it would support the whole thing. I did think about the energy needed to fire, but I didn't realize how much it actually needed, so now I have a better idea.

Again thanks for the awesome feedback, definitely going to go in and make a lot of adjustments and ill post the updates!
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    No worries. I'd suggest looking into robotic hydraulics specifically. Like those on the Boston Dynamics robots.
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    This is really cool looking, and I especially like the reference ghaztehschmexeh shared.