Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Bioluminescence Extraction Plant

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Chill_Pill polycounter lvl 4
Hey there,

So, I'm going to try some concepts for this contest. If I don't finish it in time or if it doesn't work, then no big deal it's a good practice.

When I stumbled upon the contest, I immediately got an idea about some sort of a factory with big translucent water tanks and pipes. It's located on an alien planet which is made at 95% of bio-luminescent water (full of micro organisms; that's where the factory comes into play. I don't know why yet, but it's not the most important and anyway it must be useful for someone in the Unreal universe because exports are going pretty well :poly121:).

Level design-wise, I have two things in mind : I have to be careful to stick to the UT universe, and I need to ensure that the playable parts form a fun complex of platforms, corridors, arenas, etc. For instance, tell me, do you think stairs are UT-material or do I need to replace them with inclined planes ? Other thing, UT once featured vehicles. Would it be fun (...of course it would) and relevant to add one or two unmanned patrol vehicles, equipped with an automatic gun and circling the complex ? Kind of like in MP Crysis 3.

Aaanyway, let's do this.

Replies

• Chill_Pill
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP2.jpg
    Quick photobash to unveil shapes, pipes, etc.

WIP1.jpg
    And the first doodle I made on toned paper. It was very late so I made tons of mistakes.
  • Chill_Pill
    Offline / Send Message
    Color_Study_1.jpg
    The design's not up to date but is shows the colors I may use.
  • Don Moahskarton
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Moahskarton polycounter lvl 7
    details are truly insane man OO
    But keep in mind that your image should be easy to understand.

I know it's WIP, but in your quick shoped version, I struggle to understand the perspective.
    Hopefully colors will help in that way. If you're not too messy.

Your lighting is also very good, well done so far !
  • Chill_Pill
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback, appreciated.
    Yeah the drawing is fuzzy, the only goal was to find some interesting shapes in this mess. And now I think I got into detail too soon, because I'm struggling to clear things up. Looks like my mind needed a clear and clean representation of those tubes and tanks.

Here, a crop of where I am at now :
    WIP3.jpg

Now the focus is also on values, so don't hesitate to tell me if you see something. Even if it's still a WIP, I feel that it's a little bit dull.
  • Don Moahskarton
    Offline / Send Message
    Don Moahskarton polycounter lvl 7
    I think your perceptive is great here.
    I know understand the depth and the overall structure.

to adjust your value, I would follow simple rule deeper => darker.
    With few exceptions (on small areas), I think you can get something quite convincing, while emphasizing your work on the details.
  • FirebornForm
    Hey Chill_pill I'll chime in here quickly before I get back to work. On the feeling dull part. I think you're issue is that you've essentially unified all of your objects into similar sizes. Look back at the original photobash you did, there's so many interesting shapes and variety in that initial sketch for your idea. I think some of that inital feeling got lost in your new value sketch. The photobash looks like a huge sprawling environment, whereas your sketch seems more like a piece of that environment. A smaller platform in comparison. It could still work but I think something got lost in translation.

Your perspective, detail and values are great. I would say try to look at making more variety and try not to be as constrained with similar shapes. Look back at the original photobash and see how much variation it has. Take a look back at your briefing you wrote up. This is a Sci-Fi plant! So try not to be as locked-down to making it adhere to a photo-real place.
  • MMKH
    Offline / Send Message
    MMKH polycounter lvl 11
    That looks cool, those pipes have a lot of potential to be worked into interesting gameplay. :)