Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UMTC - The ARQ

PLeS2sc.jpg?1
Hi,

I'm quite excited to join my first challenge on Polycount. Above is my first speedpaint for this challenge, my theme is "the ARQ".
It's a vast storage depot where samples of all the lifeforms in the universe are stored and saved for eternity. The interior is going to be much like a futuristic frozen warehouse with a few of the samples being visible (for instance a big whale in formaldehyde or a collection of alien vertebrates). I haven't quite decided on the exterior, whether it's a snowy mountain top bunker, a moonbase, or somewhere floating in space.

I'll do my best to update regularly and in the meantime your feedback is very much appreciated.

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Thats cool Helix, but remember that its important the map/arena fit in the unreal universe

alot information here http://www.beyondunreal.com/

continue the good work!

PS: love your work :P
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool idea! I like the imagination you've put into this. The frozen whales and whatever other specimens would be great. Cool looking and would also serve as good landmarks.

Can't wait to see this progress!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    ultra wrote: »
    Thats cool Helix, but remember that its important the map/arena fit in the unreal universe

alot information here http://www.beyondunreal.com/

continue the good work!

PS: love your work :P

Frozen specimens in a warehouse totally fits into almost any universe.

The contest is specifically asking for new themes as well.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could easily fit into lore if you wanted it to. Skaarj collecting species from planets they visit or whatever. Archiving the universe. UT is pretty flexible. :)
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    This reminds me a little bit of that Killzone Shadow Fall area with all the cargo stuff. The scale was MASSIVE. You might want to check it out just to get an idea of the kind of scale they're pushing on that one!

Anyway, looking great! Good luck with your work!
    As some people said, it's looking too "contemporary" so you might want to add some little futuristic touches, or go with some Skaarj or Napali stuff? Though I guess if it's human stuff it's cool, anyway!
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    Reminds me of Odd World Inhabitants, liking this so far!
  • Helix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll be back with an update shortly but first I like to reply to your comments and thank you all for taking the time to have a look and comment!

Ultra > Yeah, you're right. I think I might gone a bit too contemporary. I'm going to explore the "UT" style a bit more, thanks.

WarrenM > Thanks, It's a nice challenge I too think UT is quite flexible (looking at all the different levels from the past). I like the idea of using the exposed "collection" as landmarks, I so going to use that!

Isaiah Sherman > Don't worry, I'll make sure it's something new but still UT related. Being a 100% original/new is impossible of course :)

Mik2121 > You're right, it does look a bit too contemporary and I'm going to move a bit away from that. I haven't played the last Killzone but I'm definitely looking to make the scale impressive. I think I'll look up that level on a "let's play". Thanks!

vertical > Thanks, I guess it having the Odd World feel is never a bad thing ;)
  • hamstocks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hamstocks polycounter lvl 5
    Hey helix, I really like your design so far! at first I was like, oh, that's a nice reference pic... and then I realized that it was a speedpaint, and I was like whoa!!! great work man :)
  • Helix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Hamstocks! Thanks, I'm glad you like the design. I'm thinking about going a bit more classic UT but we'll see. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

I've got two speedpaints here that I did to explore the exterior of the ARQ. I'm not really happy with the result so I'll keep on sketching for now.

jNfVNAc.jpg

OiVMPgg.jpg?1
  • LandSknecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
    I'd like to see some more from the inside. Conveyer systems and boxes always remind me of Containment Area from the original Doom.