Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

H&K MP5 Mashup

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
juniez polycounter lvl 10
This weekend I started on a model of an MP5 but it's using parts from different models I think... but it's no worries because a lot of them are interchangeable anyways? At least that's what I've been told

anyways here it is atm:

8rzTN.jpg

Replies

• CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    I really like your stuff!
    Your just using a color map at the moment right? I'm trying to figure out the best way for rendering High Poly models.
    What material are you using in Marmoset 2? if you don't mind sharing
    Also how much floating geometry are you using? It looks very snug like its all 1 piece
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saw this in WAYWO, and I loved it. Fantastic render of a fantastic model. Good use of small and large detail, it all read really well, I'd critique it otherwise but there's not even anything worth nit picking about.

Would love to see some wires :)

Now put this thing through the oven!
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks great, looking forward to LP and textures ;)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    good work overall. your edge widths are fairly consistent and plastics have wider edges than the metals. i'm also a big fan of the early MP5 design that you chose, so that helps. a couple small notes:

the pin on the front of the foregrip is too small according to reference.

pistol grip seems kinda flat and not wide enough.

the top and bottom contours of the stock aren't round enough. It should just be a straight up half circle whereas yours appears to go flat.

p084p.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback yall

I think I've fixed the couple small notes stuff and I'll probably redo the bolt this weekend (should I? I don't think it would be viewed under any scrutiny) and make the LP in the coming 1-2 weekends.

screenshot000.jpg?1398818632
    CarlK3D wrote: »
    I really like your stuff!
    Your just using a color map at the moment right? I'm trying to figure out the best way for rendering High Poly models.
    What material are you using in Marmoset 2? if you don't mind sharing
    Also how much floating geometry are you using? It looks very snug like its all 1 piece

Thanks! They're just color constants applied to a highpoly mesh in Marmoset 2 - I just tinkered around with the metalness parameters where the gunmetal would be a metalness 1, dark albedo; the shiny metal would be a metalness 1, light albedo; and the green plastic stuff would be a metalness 0, green albedo (which imo is the future - what could be more intuitive than "dark metal, light metal, and green not-metal?). As for floating geometry- I used them for the little notches on the fire selector and also the two little notches on the magazine and also the threading on the barrel. I reckon I could integrate them rather easily into the mesh but I don't think it really matters (and it is awfully convenient)

I also tried to float the diamond-shape texture on the charging handle and rear sight but I ran into a bunch of butt aligning it and so I think I'll just add it in the bake.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    pro work, I love the fore and the details like barrel threading. clean model too. and on top of it, a rarely-seen version of the weapon. :thumbup:
  • SP3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SP3 polycounter lvl 10
    looks really nice, love the detail you have in the model. Can't wait to be the the final piece. keep it up :D
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    love your lighting and model, but your material needs more, it doesn't have any small details to give it some interest,you should try and add some edge ware and scratches,but love what you have so far
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    I dig it. Looks like you mashed a little UMP in it as well.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hey dude, nice work, I can get real nitpicky for you if you want;

-The part where the stock meets the upper receiver is a bit wonky, the profile of the stock should follow the receivers' lines much better. Also the transition of the bulge into the rest of the stock isn't completely accurate, it's too sharp. The bulge also tends to have a more defined flat top than you have.

-Your front sight post is a bit inaccurate. The thin bulge you have is not a bulge, but an inset for the sight post that slides in. The cross-section/profile of the front sight is also not flat.
    You could look at some ref for the older G3 sight posts, they were cast instead of milled like the newer MP5 ones, they tend to be slightly softer with bevels, looks better when baked.

-also, the 'slit' in the side of the upper receiver that is so typical of MP5's, is a bit hard on yours. Remember that part is made from a stamped sheet of metal, so it can't really have (almost) perfectly sharp 90 degree angles in real life. See how round these sides are on the stamped sheet?

Anyway, even though they relate to accuracy, I think most of these things could get the bakes to look better because you'll have some smoother, rounder angles and nicer corners.
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Can you do a FPS screen please?
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    sziada wrote: »
    love your lighting and model, but your material needs more, it doesn't have any small details to give it some interest,you should try and add some edge ware and scratches,but love what you have so far

It is the high poly
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did a bake at ~12,100 triangles with a 2k map and loosened the stock-indent in the receiver but I misunderstood what was going on with the front sight so I changed it... but wrongly. I didn't end up changing the bolt either

i-it's not noticable anyways ;.;

jpg-2.jpg?1399259381
    Can you do a FPS screen please?
    jpg-1.jpg?1399260287
  • SP3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SP3 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks amazing keep it up, the bakes look great. if you can i would love to see the wireframe
  • dissonance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see parts from MP5, G3, UMP, HK33... there's like one of each H&K represented in this thing, I love it!
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    8CdeC.jpg

doing a metalness map for this one... I've got to figure out how to get believable gunmetal wearing (guns are surprisingly matte and if it weren't for their forms they'd be very dull to look at tbh)
    still have to work out the plastic and how it works out with the grimy stuff
    SP3 wrote: »
    Looks amazing keep it up, the bakes look great. if you can i would love to see the wireframe

8BbQN.jpg
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so brightside did his thing again and we compiled it onto L4D2 - here's me wrestling with Source's materials again

8MM8K.jpg
    8MLts.jpg
  • Fridock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fridock polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome job.
    How did you do that plastic noise on the stock normal map texture?
  • PIraT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PIraT polycounter lvl 8
    Your High poly model looks quite pretty!
    If i can only suggest 2 things about model:
    - you all the time should try to suggest the "material" by modeling as much as only possible. What does it means - your plastic elements should have "little different" feeling of edges, shape. For instance - your plastic part >next to camera< looks fine, it has nice "smoothy" feeling, completny different than metal/solid parts of gun. Plastic part next to barrel have hpoly model formed like metal elements.
    - non-important thing - magazine cover should be little more "thick"

And some tips about textures:
    - if you use a "red" dirt on green plastic, it will looks like dirty, but without changing brightness. (just little colorize it;))
    - if you add some kind of blue/purple color gradients on plastic, i will looks more realistic. Now that part it's without soul, remind CAD visialisation or sth like this.

- metal is quite boring (because you put the same edges/scratches everywhere. try to reduce it in some places/add more in the others.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27384435/idea.gif

- One of the most important rule in gun-texturing is "slicing" metal parts to create the visual effect of other planes/surfaces. Look ant polygoo <totally awesome > works: http://polygoo.com/m4homefront - look how many kind of metal/surface were used, but it's still "works" visually consistent. (i understand that you want to create 2 other kinds of metal, but it's still to little difference between them. Maybe add some color on it? <just a little bit>)

- the last tip -don't use the same value of detail normal map. You probably baked it on main texture, so reduce it in some places. ;)

I like it!

Regards,
    Pirat
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job.
    How did you do that plastic noise on the stock normal map texture?

i generated the heck out of em
    PIraT wrote: »
    Your High poly model looks quite pretty!
    If i can only suggest 2 things about model:
    - you all the time should try to suggest the "material" by modeling as much as only possible. What does it means - your plastic elements should have "little different" feeling of edges, shape. For instance - your plastic part >next to camera< looks fine, it has nice "smoothy" feeling, completny different than metal/solid parts of gun. Plastic part next to barrel have hpoly model formed like metal elements.
    - non-important thing - magazine cover should be little more "thick"

And some tips about textures:
    - if you use a "red" dirt on green plastic, it will looks like dirty, but without changing brightness. (just little colorize it;))
    - if you add some kind of blue/purple color gradients on plastic, i will looks more realistic. Now that part it's without soul, remind CAD visialisation or sth like this.

- metal is quite boring (because you put the same edges/scratches everywhere. try to reduce it in some places/add more in the others.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27384435/idea.gif

- One of the most important rule in gun-texturing is "slicing" metal parts to create the visual effect of other planes/surfaces. Look ant polygoo <totally awesome > works: http://polygoo.com/m4homefront - look how many kind of metal/surface were used, but it's still "works" visually consistent. (i understand that you want to create 2 other kinds of metal, but it's still to little difference between them. Maybe add some color on it? <just a little bit>)

- the last tip -don't use the same value of detail normal map. You probably baked it on main texture, so reduce it in some places. ;)

I like it!

Regards,
    Pirat

thanks a ton for the crits!

In regards to the metal though - I wanted to specifically avoid that kind of sharp, chipped wear for the trigger group and go for much smoother, more gradual wear like this:

8B9V0

and the stainless steel receiver wouldn't really receive any color variations or slicing in wear (probably only in roughness as the material's color is constant inside and outside)

but should I not be using that kind of finish in the mp5?

is the smooth/chipped wear even dependant on the type of metal finish? or is it just the way it's been handled that determines the kind of wear?

also could you elaborate on what you mean by a magazine cover? Iiii've no idea what that is
  • Mr. Brightside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Brightside polycounter lvl 8
    I believe most modern MP5's have a phosphate finish, which looks similar to a parkerized finish so the wear would look like a smooth transition from paint, to the metal underneath rather than a sharp change.
  • PIraT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PIraT polycounter lvl 8
    By magazine cover I mean this: :)
    magazine.jpg
    Sometime, small values should be little pimped, because on screen (it's up to resolution ofc) in FPP they generate only noise, or have "paper thickness" ;)

To be honest - i hate this kind of steel (reference photo) xD In video games It looks like something similar to stone~.

I prefer GOOD textures, rather that REALISTIC textures. ;D (For me) You can use/add as many metal-kind as you only want. :)

I wrote you some tips "how to improve" your gun. I can't tell you which way will be the best.

- distribution of scratches/highlight/dirt up (usually) to 2 things >object shape >areas exposed deterioration (switches, hard edges, areas next to hands, mechanism etc.)
    - size/color/reflection etc. up to kind of material. (usually)

I hope i helped a little.

Mr. Brightside - you right.

If you want create a very very realistic texture, wear should be much more contrasted, and undamaged ares should be less glossy.