Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cybervictorian Officer

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Edrice polycounter lvl 7
Back with a different approach. Still for a test character to try out U4.

Going for a more cartoony style.

The prototype is going to be blade runner X Megaman. The playable character is a police officer for robots gone bad.

I really liked the approach the used for deus ex HR, with the cyber renaissance. So I thought about doing something with early 20th century France. Tried doing a cyber french cop, but I couldn't make it work. So I switched the idea to cyber Victorian police officer, and I think it works better.

Switched to trousers instead of a skirt because it's better suiting for an action game.

h26i0gs.jpg

Started working on the model. Temp hair.

aw7QleR.jpg

dIgeJ8f.jpg

Replies

• stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Love the concepts! Nice start on the sculpt. Legs look too long ( might be what you want stylistically).
  • mandisawesome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, those concepts are super cute! Although, right now I'm getting mostly Victorian and not much cyber... might be cool to give her some cyberpunk-y accessories or maybe a weapon? Your call on that one, though.
    The sculpt is looking pretty cute too. Her face and the anatomy overall is very appealing. One thing that's bothering me a bit though are her perfectly spherical breasts... gravity should be pulling down/flattening them a bit.

Looking forward to seeing more!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! But I agree about the breasts. I'm looking forward for more!
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your input guys!

@stevston89 It's not set in stone but the long legs are intentional.

@mandisawesome She'll have a gun, a holo projected riot shield,and maybe a baton. That should help with the cybernetics, not sure what could project the shield. Maybe her left arm is cybernetic, or she has sci fi wrist band projector. Still undecided, but I'll need to figure this out.

and @Fenyce as well, the breast are supposed to be sculpted in bra since I'm not going to model it, so they are supported. But I agree that they are very very round. I'll try to fix that.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I've tweaked the breast to be less spherical. A bit.

Added a bunch of base meshes in mostly dynamesh spheres to get things going. The boots is an old model I did.

I did a little paintover to figure out where I'm going. I added the vest as a nod back to the victorian theme, and kinda of works a some kind of bulletproof vest. Tried to make it look more cyber. Thinking of doing metallic boots to have a really cybernetic part on the character. Might as really thick gloves to break the silhouette.

LyYZOjN.jpg

GeN23zz.jpg

lFQ1fd0.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Still blocking out refining the design.

Made the gloves bigger, to break the silhouete, the big gloves will house the electronics that generate the holographic riot shield. Shortened the sleeves a bit to show a little bit of skin. Changed the haircut to make the helmet stand out.

I'm going to focus on the pants and boots next.

jSZbH8J.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Thinking about changing the style completely. I think it's nice but lacks a bit of something. The style is a little bit too reasonable maybe a bit generic.

So I'm thinking of doing something really stylized. And suits the megaman theme as well.

Trying out a Panty and stocking style. I'll see how it turns out.

k7HWauy.jpg

I'm not sure about the rythm of the legs yet. I'm leaning towards the middle one. The first one is the legs as they are now.

S5P2uqQ.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    This is really cool! I liked the old version, but I think this could be cool too.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    lotet wrote: »
    This is really cool! I liked the old version, but I think this could be cool too.

My thoughts exactly.

little update

XrUYDXI.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Did some paintover to try and see what to do about the face.

Tried a PSG style on the top left, tried to redo the face like the initial concept on the first post mixed in with a bit of Marty Seefeldt's style on the top right.

I tried a disney style face but it was horrible so I erased it, the bottom right one is crap as well.

JikcXWP.jpg

I think I'm going to go with the top right one since I have a better grasp of it.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    You could take a look at Vanellope from "Wreck it Ralph". I guess it would be a nice alternate and it doesn't stray to far from the one in the upper right. Maybe a mix.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to see where this will head.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Fenyce wrote: »
    You could take a look at Vanellope from "Wreck it Ralph". I guess it would be a nice alternate and it doesn't stray to far from the one in the upper right. Maybe a mix.

Whatever, I'm looking forward to see where this will head.

That's not a bad idea.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Here's where I'm at for today, and where I'll take it next time. I'll sculpt a proper nose and lips, and add the lashes.

nfFnh0B.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Remodeled the eyes, redid the breast, sculpted the nose. Tried half of dozen sculpted lips, but couldn't pull it off. The lack of chin, cheeks and jaw line makes it look really silly. Going to try a different approach and try to cut in the lips rather than build them up. Make it more disney like, wider and thinner.

UE0c353.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Refined the face further. I have mixed feelings about the face. I might do a couple of completely different faces/styles, come back to this one and compare them with fresh eyes. C&C welcome.

hTzFd7G.jpg
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know man. I love your work and the 1st more realistic iteration of this. I applaud you pushing in a different style too just the oversized eyes are too much in my opinion. She just looks super surprised or shocked to me. Maybe its the height of the brow. Curious to see how you progress with this!
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    It's a valid point. I'll make a variant with lower brows, and a bit more eyelid falling over the eyes. I'm thinking of trying a version that's a bit toned down a bit, maybe with a smaller head. We'll see.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    A bunch of quick variations. Starting from the where I was a the top left, then I did a more relaxed face version. A panty and stocking version, a more classic anime style, a smaller head one, and finaly a second Panty and stocking attempt.

Might do a couple more. I think I'll redo the base with different eyebrows, and lips(the lips really bother me most on this one). Might do a different P&S one again, and maybe a Toryama style one.

C&C welcome.

aOqqJEu.jpg
  • klamp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    I may be biased, since I tend to prefer stylization to photorealism, but I like the direction you're going. Some of the proportions on that last batch just didn't seem to be sitting right, though. Hope you don't mind, I did a quick paintover:

VH8WKeW.gif

I mostly shifted the facial proportions, but also tweaked some of the curves in the legs.

138LvLv.jpg

Another thing that was looking strange to me was the shape and positioning of the eyes. In that last batch the eyes on all of them looked like they were either flat, bugging out of the head slightly, or both. The eye tends to sit deeper in the socket than it appears.

Anyway, that's just my two cents. Looking forward to seeing how this shapes up!
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    @klamp Thanks a lot man! I'm not sure I'm going to go with the anime style yet, it's a style that I like, but it's not one I'm very comfortable with. But man the leg tweak that's awesome, that's going in the next time I'm working on it. Cheers!

Did a couple of more variations during lunch break.

Did another variant of the original face, a crystal chronicle type face, and another take on the Panty and Stocking.

I think the original face is working a lot better now with new eyebrows and the lower nose. I think I'm going to refine this one.

YrxqkmQ.jpg
  • JimmyRustler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    I like the first and third, but mostly the third. Cute character, btw!
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    @JimmyRustler Thanks! The third one is the least likely I'll pick, since the thought that she looked like a pony from my little pony won't get out of my head.
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    the boobs stand out as odd because their forms are anatomically accurate while the rest of the character's body is heavily stylized.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    @killnpc How would you go about stylizing boobs? They're basically too spheres right now, my thought was too make them really cartoony round. They're fake pamela anderson boobs more than anything. I could make Madonna cone boobs but that feels wrong. Square boobs?

She won't be naked or in a bikini in the end, so it's a minor issue I think.
  • Stockwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigger is better ;D

at least in this case. Her curves are just huge throughout her silhouette and she has these teeny tiny boobies that don't even extend the curves of that silhouette :(

I'd definitely say round, and big, this isn't even because i'm a guy, I just think it would work here.

As far as the eyes, I like the far right. I think Klamps paintover, deserves a big +1, the eyes, as well as the added curvature of the legs. Nice work though, diggin it a lot.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    @Stockwell The size of the breast is an artistic decision so I won't make them bigger. Since she has big features, she needs a bit of contrast in the shapes, the small chest is here to counter the rest. If everything is evenly sized, it's more balanced but also more boring. It's more interesting to have Mickey Mouse have a small nose compared to his big ears, big eyes and big smile, rather than a big nose as well.

Edit: Since some people like this head, and I won't use it. Here's a download link if someone has use of it. It's a ZTl.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qpf7u4pvn9x52q/panty.zip

UyF5dyz.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Personally I think the problem is the lack of anatomical reference for the boobs. With boobs that small they would often be somewhat pointy and have a nice curve from the top of the chest to the nipple. Currently they look like shrunken implants. Something like this: ( best image I could find)

Also that head you decided not to use is your best iteration so far. I would recommend using it.

NSFW image ahead!

article-2049197-0E636C6600000578-633_468x368.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    @stevston89 Her boobs are not supposed to be small but scaled small. If you see what I mean. Small breast would be smaller than this. Realistic or not I'm not sure what's best. But with the shirt, bulletvest, and cape if I keep the same design, it won't really matter in the end.

I hear what you're saying about the face, but I really don't like it, and since it's personal work and unlike paid work I don't have to do something I don't like. But I hear you and there's probably a good reason people pick this one that's one I put it up for download, if someone that enjoys working with that style, I'm happy to share it.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I know you will most likely cover it, but ignoring the issues here can often translate to more issues later on. Also I didn't say they had to be realistic. I said they had to be grounded in anatomy, which currently they aren't. Great designs are often great because of the believability that comes from grounding them in reality. Even if you don't want to go in the direction I mentioned you shouldn't just leave the boobs as two balls floating on to of the body.

Not going to press the issue. You are clearly talented and I am sure the piece will turn out great. I just hate it when people ignore errors because "you won't see them".
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I completely agree with you, and I have to tackle the issue. I have to find a happy medium. I just want to avoid vert massaging the breast, but I do need to get the volume right.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    A little update with some of the suggestions. Tweaked the legs, reshaped the breast, and changes to the face.

IyUpu85.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Tweaks to the face, I gave her somewhat of a chin. And I slightly scaled downed the arms a bit.

MEKw49Z.jpg

kSh7TOA.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    This is looking a lot better. I think the forehead might be a bit too tall, but hair will most likely help with that.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I'm digging the new subtle tweaks. Makes a big difference.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Cool thanks guys, I'm on the right track then.

I did a quick mockup to see the full picture better. I'm not sure about the cape. I kinda of works. Might try a few different ideas.

8eTLdno.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    No cape and a skirt variant.

oufQasQ.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Changed back to pants, and a new take on the boots. Looked a bunch of victorian era boots, and tried to make them look more sci fi.

Not to sure about the hex knee cap thingy.

Nv5QMHG.jpg