Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alchemist Store

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Dethling polycounter lvl 11
Hi,

besides my work for RenegadeX I also work on a new personal work.
It's based on this awesome concept of Rowena Wang (http://wang2dog.deviantart.com/):

alchemist_room_by_wang2dog-d6lsbo3.jpg

My plan is to create a "WoWish" 3D model of it.

So far I finished the blockout of the basic funiture and the room itself.
Next planned steps:
- bring all the furniture to game quality (low/mid-poly)
- Add small items (flasks etc.)
- start the hand-painted texturing

alchemist_store___1st_blockout_by_dethling-d6o3fc9.jpg

As this is my first "full-scene" I'm working on workflow tips (and of course other tips & tricks) are welcome.

I looking forward to update this post on a regular basis, so if I got your attention, come back from time to time. :)

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Added some smaller items and did a few optimisations on the boxes
    alchemist_store_wireframe_by_dethling-d6ofwu6.jpg

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2013/272/3/a/alchemist_store_1_by_dethling-d6ofwhf.jpg
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a LOOOOONG time I went back to this one.
    As I working on my hand painted texturing skills at the moment (http://dethling.deviantart.com/gallery/49023056) I decided to work on this "on the side" and make it more comic/wow'ish

The progress so far...
    alchemist_store_by_dethling-d7etbcc.jpg

I redid the furnishing and doors/windows so far, small props will follow soon (tm)
  • LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Looks great. Would love to see more. :)
  • splitpiriform
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the style, can't wait to see more too
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did the book and table textures today.
    I'm not totally happy how it goes, so probably will make some adjustments to it in the next days:

table_chair_render_by_dethling-d7f8mtu.jpg

table_chair_by_dethling-d7f8mua.jpg

"Free" areas are for the chair :)

books_scrolls_by_dethling-d7f8mur.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Cool scene and idea. The modeling is a bit too simple. Push some angles more. Throw an all black shader on things and see how the silhouettes read. That helps me a lot.

The UV mapping on the table. No. Those curved legs in the top left area should be straightened. It's much easier to paint a straight line than a curvey one. Also overlap repeatable areas so you can increase the texture resolution.

There's a ton of tutorials on unwrapping and maximizing space. I did a video even for 3dmotive a couple years ago on the subject. You want to balance UV density/resolution and ease of painting. Some things you'll give a little on the UV stretching to paint easier, etc.
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Jeff's gave you some excellent tips and suggestions, so take them into account. Over than that I love the clutter of the scene, to get some idea for possible shapes and angle take a look at the Torchlight series too. That may give you a few ideas.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice Jeff.
    I repacked the UV for the table/chair, straighted out and tried as much "space re-use" as possible.

table_chair_uv_2_512_by_dethling-d7fam93.jpg

Re-uses:
    - all four table-legs in one space (Top left)
    - both lower side parts in one space (middle right)
    - Table top- and underside (Put the underside in the same middle spot, only issue I see is with the metal blocks at the corners.. have to see how visible it will be
    - end parts of chair & table legs in two spots
    - Chair legs in two spots
    - Chair "seat" (put downside in centre of the upside)

I'm not sure if the "downside uses same space at upside" is really useable because of the light information in hand painted textures.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally I found some time to finish the table:

render_by_dethling-d7g06sz.jpg

Map:

table_v2_by_dethling-d7g06ta.jpg

As you see I altered the geometry a little and decided not to do two objects in one map.
    As usual tricks, tipps, comments & critis welcome
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    you need more hues definitely. with the lack of color tones and variation, it makes it look rather flat.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried to push it a little more, unfortunately this "pushing" is the hardest part for me. :(

I also reduced the texture size to 512x512 as this is (afaik) the texturesize for WoW props.

render_tables_by_dethling-d7g5rr5.jpg

I also textured the stone-table which standing next to the wodden one in the concept.
    The idea here was to create some heavy which can be used to hammer something (similar like an anvil).
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the smith and made some smaller adjustments on the tables:

render_03_by_dethling-d7gshf6.jpg

I'm not totally hapy with the metal parts of the smith (I think the highlights have to be sharper and more white).
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey Dethling, you're progressing well but you gotta push the tones alot more and never work small. Try to get into the practice of working on maps one or two times the size of what you intent as it won't come to bite you in the arse if your boss says you are now doing a PC version during the pipeline.

I recommend forking out for this amazing tutorial by Tyson Murphy, where he guides you through the process of making hand painted texturing. linky.

If you want an awesome free tutorial a fellow polycounter, skylebones has some stellar tuts on his site here.

As for what you have now, it's a great launch pad. Just save what you have now as a backup file and just experiment.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Not a bad start but everything looks way too clean.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Di$array: I always start with a 2048x2048 texture I just applied the 512 version of it here to see the (ingame) end result.
    I already have the tutorial from Tyson and it helped me a lot to get into hand painted texturing, so big thanks to Tyson for it.

@slosh:
    What do you mean with "clean"? More dirt on the object or are the faces/edges to straight?
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The last days were a little busy, so no time for new textures :(

But today I took a first try at the floor texture. The plan is to do two different one (lower and upper flor).
    So far this is the first shot for the top floor:
    floors_tile_by_dethling-d7hhz62.jpg