Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Dead Street WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Noise polycounter lvl 6
LAST Update :
Street.jpg

Hello guys I posted this also on the CryDev and as ask by someone in the WAYWO I make a thread for this street project.

This is a mini level based on the idea it could fit as a background in a side scrolling game. Like escape plan on PS vita. I also made it to have more in depth knowledge of the CryEngine before making something totally different and much bigger.

The project is highly cartoony and this is probably not the best engine for this kind of setup but let's see what I will end up with.
I'm going to only use a diffuse map. But maybe I will end up with a flat normal map and a specular map to give some more focus point on some building. The thing is if I go this way I'm a bit scared to loose the lowpoly style I have now.

Here are my reference sheet for props, building, main style and the texturing feeling I want to have.
Props.jpg
Style.jpg
Paint.jpg

Blockout:
Street_1.png

For now this is the final street but I'll rework the wheels of the cop's car to have some more geometry as I rely more on the polygon than on the detail in my diffuse map.
Street.jpg

And this is where I'm currently at into the engine.
Sneak_Peak.jpg

What's need to be done :
- Find a way to make the tree more dynamic and make the foliage part.

- UV mapping of all the grey stuff. I'm making each building on is own texture of 1024*2048. For the 2 smalls one I'll probably go for a 1024². At the end of the texturing I'll pack them to get all texture on texture map of 2048². Only the road will stay on is own as there is an horizontal tilling on it.

- Texture all the stuff in grey. It takes me some time as I often put the texture into the engine to see what it give in real time. And I adjust a lot the texture color,brightness and contrast.

-Tweak light, post process and some other stuff into the CryEngine (Learning purpose)

My main goal is to have a street with volume and depth but also try to blend everything in it to have a painting feeling. Like if someone have just made it by spending time looking at those buildings.

More update on Friday I think. Maybe tomorrow but the sun is shinning and my bike too much clean.

Replies

• luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    *subscribed.

Love the idea and the progress so far. can't wait to see more of this.

The only comments i really have, but you hit on in your post, is about tweaking the lighting and the post process. right now, that fog is too thick imo and the lights are a bit dull. but you said you'd tweak em and i can't wait to see how it comes out ^_^
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Some small progress a bit of light tweak, less fog, some more contrast. But I take my time for the texturing. So there is only 1 new building complete and 1 color blockout for a 3rd one.

Sneak_Peak_2.jpg
  • Rory_M
    Offline / Send Message
    Rory_M polycounter lvl 10
    love it so far. keep it up!
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    i'm still liking it so far. although, in my opinion, that fog is kind of washing out the colors in your scene :/
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I have decrease the opacity but I need to do it more as it was more dense when I made the render than in the viewport.
    I want too keep it as it's helping for the volume and depth but it's right that the color are a bit wash out.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    well yeah, i wouldn't say get rid of it, just find a way to keep it and bring back some of that color.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree, I think your fog and lighting could definitely use some work. The fog is really overbearing. If you had it start farther from the camera, it wouldn't be that bad. Maybe half-way through the houses?

Also, how are you doing the night lighting? Did you change the Time of Day to a late time? I got better results by just adjusting the fog and sky colors to black(or dark blue, whatever you want for your scene) and adjusting the sun's parameters. You get more control then.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Yes I'm using time of day. I set it up at 4 or 5 am. I didn't play yet with the settings thought.
    I'll play around a bit more with the fog. Decrease it and move it more off the camera.
    Thanks you guys

Some more learning with the time of the day settings.
  • tragische
    Great! Love the details.
  • DougClayton4231
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    Loving it so far! Keep it up!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Ok as I'm home now I tweaked the fog, there is just a few left but It's way better like this.
    I also played a bit with time of the day. But I feel pretty much blocked with it for now. Will give a next try when I'll do the end polishing.

For some reason when I put the antialiasing on 10 the MSAA broke my lighting.

Is it possible to keep the setting you enter in the command ?
    Is there a way to have Hard shadow into CryEngine ?

Again Thanks you guy it's already look much better with a lot less fog and some more contrast.
    Sneak_Peak_3.jpg
  • Jeffrotull
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    Looking good man.
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    This is looking MUCH better. got all those vibrant colors. I wish I could help with the Cry stuff, but not a clue.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looking much better, sub'd for more to come : )
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Pushing back the fog helped a lot!

AA is dependent on your hardware. Try a different method of AA.

What setting are you trying to keep? Do you mean the console command/CVar?

You can adjust the shadows per light entity and globally. There should be a CVar for shadow adaptation size, where the lower the number, the less of a penumbra.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    @leleuxart

You lost me with the CVar :D
    Yep I'm mean when you hit the ... on the right of the console command. A windows pop up, is it possible to keep the change you made from them ? Like the customreswidht, AA settings, and so on.
    I'll check a bit more on the light and in the command panel.

Well I think I don't actually need to go up to 10 for AA as the last screenshot is pretty clean.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Not much to show as I break everything repacking the texture and I need to set up a grey submaterial to showcase my progress.
    But here is a breakdown of the final model except the tree will have some more silhouette work.
    Street_Break.jpg
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Some progress. The "only" thing left is now texturing. Polish and some post process.

When I have finish all the texturing I'll start new stuff and gather some criticism and feedback to make the polish/post process part. Ins something like 1 week.

Sneak_Peak_4.jpg
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    a note. if a car is overheated or crashed, it makes white smoke. black smoke means it's burning.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the note I changed it and also tweak a bit all other smoke to add a fake wind.
    I'm close to the end for now not much work done today. But there is a bright sun outside and a bike to ride.

I'll be working tomorrow on it and hope to have all the texturing done. Tweak a bit the light (any advice would be appreciate).
    And then start something new and different.

Sneak_Peak_5.jpg
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Some more work. Need to put some color variations on the orange car (General lee) and on the right building.

And finaly do the left building.
    I'll stay a week or so away from this project and come back for the polish and post process.

Sneak_Peak_6.jpg
    Sneak_Peak_7.jpg
    Sneak_Peak_8.jpg
  • Gazu
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    This looks very very cool.
    Is this all Handpainted?
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks you
    Yes all is handpainted it take me a while.

I made it in 4 times :
    Base color
    Light/stroke/value. It's a mid grey layer in overlay mode where I paint all in grayscale color on 9 values.
    Variations
    Smaller paint color.

All is based on the triad and complementary color theory. I'll probably need to tweak a bit all the value to detach some shape from other.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    News update based on some critics received.
    There is some more tweak to be done on the Left Yellow building. And add color variations and sharpen them all.

Last day of work on this project. As said I will start a new project for 1 week and come back on this for some foliage tweak/add. And also some VFX/post process work.

Sneak_Peak_9.jpg
  • Mistry10
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    Super cool dude
    What u planning on doing for the sky ?
  • splitpiriform
    I'd like to see a pinup poster with lights around it somewhere, it would add a little something to the scene IMO, like a suburban touch to tell you're in the middle of a city. Pretty clean job also, good work
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    For the sky and more background stuff. I'll probably do some fake building silhouette and maybe some sort of squared stars, need to make some try and die option.

I'll also add the pinup thing and some ads where it's need to be done like the car of "Death proof" in the big ads panel.

I'll also add some other stuff suggested on Crydev forum and FuturePoly

Thanks you guys for the suggestion and the encouragement
  • Andaya
    I really appreciate the way you choose to make something in between 3d art and the impressionist paintings. Very good piece of art. Congratulations!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Hello guys I was a bit bored on my thief fanart scene and take some time out of it to make the change, I had with feedback.

So here is what have been done:

Light more purple
    • Add some more little props to give a more live
    • Light beam
    • Silhouette of people
    • Building in silhouette in the background
    • Some tweak in the light
    • Inking and more variations on one building.
    • Fake shadow project from the front

I need to improve some of those effects and make the inking for all the buildings.

Sneak_Peak_11.jpg
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    definitely love how this is coming out man, good job. right now i'm not seeing anything that looks bad or could use tweaking that you haven't already mentioned before. well, except maybe tone down the light from the car a bit. not too much. and give it a slight color variation of yellow/orange. very slight, just a tint.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow this is coming out really good. Love the handpainted look.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks you guys

@luge I'm made the change you told me and it was for the better. The light from the car was a bit burning the green building.
    And also the color of the light was too white.

Sneak_Peak_12.jpg
  • narticus
    Offline / Send Message
    narticus polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really amazing!

Really liking the look of the starry sky. I think if you increase the contrast of the silhouette of the background buildings, it will help the entire scene.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    The building for now are placeholder, I'll make some proper building to get some nice shape. And probably make them darker to have some more contrast and have different level of depth.

I need to find the right value balance for them., more shape will probably help to get them detach of the sky.
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    I'm calling this done. Until I learn a bit more about particle.

Sneak_Peak_17.jpg
    Sneak_Peak_16.jpg
    Sneak_Peak_15.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I'd love to see a little video of this scene as a semi-dynamic area. I'm imagining the camera angle of the first shot with a little "camera shake". Smoke rising from the chimneys while the stars shining in the background, apartment lights coming on, going off; maybe some flickering street lamps and blinking car hazard lights all with some pleasant ambient city sounds in the background. I'd love to see that :)

Overall, such an awesome project though. You did a great job with the style and "feel". I really dig it.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    This is f#%%ing dope man. Post the shots from the WAYWO thread in here. Love the style. More of this.
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Wow - what a cool scene. Love the concept and execution of this. Great work!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you guys :D

@Jeff
    I put the WAYWO shot into the update of the 1st post as it's basically the same as the 3 screenshot you have at the end.
    Ahah someone already told me to make a whole city like this.

@RogelioD
    Make a short animation out of it, is a great idea and if I add the time and the knowledge. Shaking camera and other more scripted stuff I would do it now. But I'm already on something else more realistic.
    And there is one other more realistic outside factory waiting for me too.

The best way to achieve this would be to find someone interested of making a short animation to show off his/her skill. I not against the idea of giving my CryEngine working files for this.
  • TomDelboo
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDelboo polycounter lvl 6
    Very well done.
    I love the coherent style trough the whole street.
    Were it be a game. I would play it just for the graphics :D
  • KennyTies
    Really outstanding style. Its very refreshing.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    Would love to see some sort of tutorial on this style of texturing, its so nice!
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    @all
    Again thank you.

@SaboR1996
    This is quiet simple
    • one layer of flat color
    • One layer fill with a neutral grey (#808080) in overlay mode and I paint on it with some grey scale value on it. White make thing brighter and black darker.
    • One layer in overlay mode for color variation
    • One layer in overlay again with some smaller variation or color splash.

In the end I only have played with value and color nothing really fancy. After this base texture I change a bit the value of elements. With the light done into Cryengine

Here is a render I used for this step.
    Sneak_Peak_14.jpg
  • W.martin
    this looks amazing, I love the style. is there any way you would post the texture flats?
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    great work! came out really nicely. second on the texture flats please. =D
  • luge
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    It turned out great man. loved watching you develop this with each post. turned out stunning.
  • Kave
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    This is really unique, awesome.
  • Noren
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    This came out great. Interesting style.
    The smoke could be more illustrative, still, in my opinion.
    Something like cotton might fit in.
    Edit: scratch that, somehow missed the second page.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    waw, really cool, the art style looks really well,
    me wants a moving pic! xD
    now it looks like a painting, same with elementrix's stuff, when I saw a vid of that it looked even better, probably the same with your sc