Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Decadent [UH Student project]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Conpatshe polycounter lvl 4
1800463_1407835869464966_2049032751_n.jpg
Hey guys, we're a team of students from University of Hertfordshire and our project is to create a game trailer for our groups own IP called Decadent: Reign of the Brethren.

We're creating a high-octane, action-packed, real-time diorama set in a victorian library. An elusive cabal of gentlemen magicians are summoning a mighty demon to advance their nefarious schemes. Our hero, Albert Wraith, arrives just in time to witness the completion of their ritual. However, his presence distracts the sorcerers, allowing the demon to break free of its bonds to wreak unholy havok on them all.
Concepts

Main Big Demon
90PWrYK.jpg
The player's companion "Rat-Tail"
45164_10152604789504358_732946069_n.jpg
Our main antagonist, the Gentlemen Sorcerer
ZGZM0qI.jpg
And his 'associates'
st9AvN4.jpg
Albert Wraith, the protagonist in our story
drhtWY2.jpg
Library Layout Concept
ig6Tnam.jpg

Replies

• Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3d Work
    Library Summoning Room With placeholder lighting/textures
    10003696_10152073594778392_671185018_o.jpg

Library corridor before entrance to the summoning room
    Zzy03ht.jpg

Lil bit o' Asset Creation

1655280_10152018756983392_1429881502_o.jpg

and some fun traditional custom portraits of the team to go around the level (2/5 portraits are completed so far just need to create the frame for them
    1961052_10152698745009358_2019592302_o.jpg

lu30IGa.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hi Polycount, I'm Benji and I'm the technical guy on this project, I'm doing particles, materials and rigs etc. I've posted a couple of bits of what I've been working on here, there's more to come!

Ground level fog:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWUFdZ2D9wI"]UDK Ground Fog Test - YouTube[/ame]

Cobweb material:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgOA1VJKwQI"]UDK Cobweb Material Test - YouTube[/ame]

Pretty basic ambient dust:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9GsLigRiFY"]UDK Ambient Dust Particle Test - YouTube[/ame]

Some progress on the Rat-Tail rig:
    IwcVK.jpg
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to include the 3d models of the creatures - oops!
    Rat-tail model

1911871_10152677786104358_962647559_n.jpg

Spider Demon Model

o4d9iiC.jpg

Spider Demon UVs

1978402_10152705134004358_863455813_o.jpg

UPDATE: Spaced out the UVs 1948210_10152705138879358_660599850_n.jpg
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    Okay here is some critique from me. (Some assumption that this is pre-rendered)

1) Your UV's could do with some relaxing
    2) You have so much space just sitting around in your UV map even because it may be no real time does not mean you should not try to get some more out of that otherwise empty space
    3) What size is this going to be texture wise 4096x4096? If this is not real time I would split your UV map into two and do two 4096 maps for extra pretties
    I would say two 2048's would be the lowest I would personally go with it

Sort of a bit helpful picture?
    Testcrit_zps6a47d47e.png

Of course someone correct me if I am wrong.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    Okay here is some critique from me. (Some assumption that this is pre-rendered)

1) Your UV's could do with some relaxing
    2) You have so much space just sitting around in your UV map even because it may be no real time does not mean you should not try to get some more out of that otherwise empty space
    3) What size is this going to be texture wise 4096x4096? If this is not real time I would split your UV map into two and do two 4096 maps for extra pretties
    I would say two 2048's would be the lowest I would personally go with it

Sort of a bit helpful picture?
    Testcrit_zps6a47d47e.png

Of course someone correct me if I am wrong.

Hey Robeomega, thanks for the great feedback on the UVs, I'll take it back into headus and fill up more space. Also, I was contemplating doing this actually, have you any links to tutorials/resources in going about this at hand?
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trying to clean up the topology on the demon

JI8B3PO.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    The spider creature (which looks badass mind you) has very dense topology around the shoulder/chest areas. Is this deliberate? Must be a helluva lot of deformation going on there!
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls wrote: »
    The spider creature (which looks badass mind you) has very dense topology around the shoulder/chest areas. Is this deliberate? Must be a helluva lot of deformation going on there!

Hey man :) thanks for the observation, I've gone back in Zbrush and sorted that cluster out

NZUaGSc.jpg
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ec45c40b057e0ee8a8c68efed1382ab4.png

Get a look at that booty!

Also we are having a problem with non manifold edges, according to maya every single face is non manifold in this mesh, Once cleaned up and triangulated it seems to fix it but we can't use a heat map when rigging. We seem to be able to rig manually however but we're curious if this is an issue that'll screw us over down the pipeline, could anyone shed some light on this subject?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    How are you retopologizing these. Your meshes look 2 to 3 times more dense than they need to be.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    ^as he said, these meshes look a lot more dense than they need to be.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm using zremesher, I'll go back into it and make the topology sparse
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Zremesher is great for getting a sculpt done, but it's not very good at creating production ready meshes. I would look in it creating it by hand using max, topogun, 3dcoat, etc. You really want to have a lot of control over your mesh and zremesher doesn't give you that.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    Zremesher is great for getting a sculpt done, but it's not very good at creating production ready meshes. I would look in it creating it by hand using max, topogun, 3dcoat, etc. You really want to have a lot of control over your mesh and zremesher doesn't give you that.

I liked the control of topogun, ALOT. but it made our mesh entirely non-manifold geometry which is why I was going about using zremesher. However, we seem to be getting the non manifold issue with zremesher aswell. :/
  • CloDevious
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can always use the Zbrush retopo tool. To get it to work you make a new Zbrush file so the scene is empty in other words.

Great a Zsphere, go into edit mode.

The right hand pallet where the tools are and what not, scroll to the bottom find the rigging tab. Choose select mesh and pick your high poly model. It should now show like a ghost image of your model.

Then expand the topology tab click edit mesh, it will turn back to its normal mode with the material.

Now you are able to click on the mesh and redraw your topology. It will look like your making bones for rigging but your really not. Just make quads and connect them up. Control key will let you select a different point. Which you will need to because you do not want to make one long chain of bones :D The alt key will delete portions if you mess up. You can also switch to move move and move points around. If you press A it will turn on the adaptive skin preview, which you can also access from the adaptive skin tab and you can select your sub D's there.

But once your done with the new low poly just unwrap. Then you divide the crap out of the new low poly and use projecting to transfer the high poly model to your new "low Poly" Drop down to sub D 1 when you need to bake maps.

Works best on more organic models as it can have issues with really intense hard surface models.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey CloDevious! I appreciate the amount of feedback and advice :) I didn't know you could do that in zBrush so I'm definitely going to look at that.

As for topology, This is an old version of the Demon's topology from topogun @ 8.5k faces

ZxxoZXD.jpg

What are thoughts on the density of this mesh?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polycount, I did a lot of work on the rig today, I hope to have it finished before the week is out !

KQ63s.jpg
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    An update on cleaning up the topology on our Imp, Rat-Tail

gQkU6J3.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Rat-Tail has been down rezzed and rigged!

qtYDijO.jpg
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update on textures on the demon:

https://vimeo.com/89196542

18k Tris
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    looks pretty cool, i would maybe throw an SSS shader on that little statue, since I'm assuming it's jade and a bit of SSS would help sell it. Unless you already have one on it, in which case maybe ramp it up.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty cool, i would maybe throw an SSS shader on that little statue, since I'm assuming it's jade and a bit of SSS would help sell it. Unless you already have one on it, in which case maybe ramp it up.

Thanks man, gonna be working in it some more today so I'll get some SSS in there :)
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oShEkMp.jpg

I've altered the specular on the eyes to prevent them from looking like gems and more like spider eyes, I've also included a smaller secondary row of eyes to add a more creepy feel
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGarton polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I'm Alex, Enviroment artist for this project. Wondering if anyone has any tips on painting spider web? I'm struggling to capture the look right now; it's looking too "powdery", but when I try paiting single threads it looks very hair-like. This is the original reference image I've been working from: web-tunnel.jpg

And this is the least "pile of cocaine" look I've managed so far. I'm open to re-texturing or re-modelling. Any suggestions?

g8ZQC9z.jpg

O2730yt.jpg
    Also Count Vader, the statue's mine so I'll put some SSS on their and post a vid, thanks for the tip!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Got the joints in the spider demon, going to keep moving with this one

wgPeP.jpg
  • Jon Mills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Mills polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, good to see students from UH on polycount, ( I graduated from Games art at UH last year!)

project is looking interesting so far, some tips for getting the spider web looking better would be to make the web strands more scarce as they are further from the hole, also get some web alphas in that hole and break up that circular out line. Also look at games like Skyrim for good spider web reference as large parts of some areas are largely based on creating the feel of a spiders lair

Here's a very fast paintover whilst on my lunch break of the sort of things I mean
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jon , very helpful!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Jon, great to see some other Herts people on here ! :D

Anyway, I've gone ahead with the rigging on the spider demon, here's some progress.

Wlv5T.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    We have a big progress hand in tomorrow so things are grinding on for us!
    Here's some progress on Gammy's rig, skeleton/controls are more or less done now.
    bJ6gB.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    In addition to what Jon Mills was saying, you should also add spiderwebs and stuff to other aspects of the room. As it stands now, it makes no sense why this giant spiderhole exists in the room, yet everything else is so clean. I want to see eggsacs, webs, and more covering a lot of the objects in the room. The floor should be trashed and broken up etc. Basically, the atmosphere of the room is contradicting itself by having this giant spider hole and demon, yet the rest looks like humans use it every day. On that note, the books are way too well organized. Have some scattered around or have some empty shelves.

I think changes like that will really help solidify everything. You've made some fantastic progress, but I think you can push it much further.
  • Conpatshe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lil update from me, there was alot of dead areas around Gammy (Our spider demon) and we decided to include some spider markings, using reference I painted in some markings and added a sinister red/orange gradient in the spec, similar to bright colours in nature.

I've rendered an updated turnaround here: http://vimeo.com/89868570

I've got a Gloss/Spec/Diffuse and a normal map on there
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit, you're right the room is way to clean and orderly right now. I've started making web sacs, larger webs and book piles, and will be updating with more clutter as the week progresses. Here's a few starting bits, plus a very quick lighting experiment:

BJUNcEx.jpgjY2rulh.jpg
    UMx39qI.jpg
  • AGarton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crit has been invaluable, really notice the barren cleanliness of the room. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Re-did the floor, added some mystical decals and started adding webs today
    NKDVBij.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's looking much better than it had. Breaking it up with small and large webs and other similar objects is going to help. I'd keep tweaking the lighting, especially the strength and falloff. Candles do not illuminate very well. Play with various angles of moonlight shining into the room. Look at some of your favorite trailers or movies and look at how they light interior scenes at night and the kind of mood it might set. The angle, color, and intensity of light are what impact the mood and emotions it will set. Again, analyze what type of emotion you want the viewer to experience here and see how a movie lit a scene portraying a similar emotion. Is the spider appearing dramatically or will it sneak into frame? Is there supposed to be a lot of tension throughout the scene or will the heroes be relaxed. I'd take a look at Fellowship of the Ring, Return of the King, and if you can the most recent Hobbit movie. Specifically in Fellowship take a look at the scenes prior to the groups entrance to Moria as well as when they shut themselves in Balin's Tomb. For Return I'd take a look at the shots in Shelob's lair. For the most recent Hobbit movie take a look at what happened in the scenes with the spiders. If you and your teammates can come up with other ideas for examples review those too and simply review the colors, light source/angle and intensity and see if you can translate it to your project.

Finally, try to break up the shape of that hole. The floor boards would be broken, bent and cracked. Some might even hang over the hole itself. Webbing should cross the hole and it shouldn't be so perfectly round. Consider sculpting some basic forms etc and make the shape irregular. While the room can be circular the hole doesn't have to be. You can have the mesh come over the mesh for the floor, just make sure they won't intersect. Again, Shelob's lair, Darksiders, and any other games that include large spiders and their lairs might be good resources to analyze the shape and form of your hole. Also, consider breaking those statues or having some webs coming off of them. Also, the lines for the circle could use some refinement.

I think that about covers it for now. I love the progress you've made so far and can't wait to see how it turns out.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    I finished rigging Rat-Tail, now I gotta skin Gammy, and make sure I do that model justice :S

PS; I'm not part of the environment artists but thanks for the awesome crit and support tristanCarter!

S76ir.jpg
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No problem Shrapnel! I'm loving the work you guys have been putting into this so far. I'm really looking forward to the finished product and I'm glad my critique has been of use to help improve it. Can't wait to see some animations for Rat-Tail and Gammy.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Gammy is now rigged + skinned, pending review by the team !

ajPFu.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polycount, here's Gammy's rig demo *gulp*

I want to just say that I'm not happy with the skinning on this and will likely revisit it, but I've been tearing my hair out over the past week or so trying to get it to a not totally terrible state and it's probably about time I showed something of it. Getting the balance between the boobs, the head, and the shoulders on the human torso has been extremely difficult, but I hope you can see to cut me some slack as this is only the second rig I've built on my own, and it isn't exactly easy anatomy to work with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XbqLtf5VE&feature=youtu.be
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey Polycount, I started rigging Wraith today, I'll have the skeleton/controls done for the weekend and then it should be skinned by Monday, ready to start rigging the final character - deadlines are approaching fast !

ucvOf.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey all, Wraith's rig is almost done, just wrestling with the twist joints in the elbow atm, really hard to get my head around and haven't had any luck setting it up yet, but hopefully tomorrow!

4dzJ9.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hey ya'll, I've been playing with APEX cloth the past 2 days, it looks like ass atm but I'm hoping to get some good functionality and then use it on the summoners robes because it would add so much, currently struggling with getting the collision meshes to fit right, but here's where I'm at (he's just crouching down atm)

pyhbl.jpg