Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    edit cause I'm silly
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jacob thomas polycounter lvl 9
    Super late to the party. Started this yesterday :/
    Rushing like mad to try and finish her gear, got stuck on the cape so I'm taking a breather.
    20wd8me.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    CLo wrote: »
    Any people gonna be on later today? Even though I won't finish the pilot girl in time for the contest, I'm trying to get her situated as a base mesh I can use later on. Just need to ask some pointers and such as far as retoping goes. (For instance if you use one of zbrush's retop tools or rebuild the geometry in maya, etc.)

@CLo If you just want the basemesh for future sculpt, a zremesher will usually do the trick for you. (Make sure no spiral going on, and that the edgeloops on her face are good enough for your need.) For real lowpoly stuff, I'd retop manually though.

@jstyles3d Watch out for the bicep -> elbow relation bro. And I have a feeling her upper body is longer than her lower body right now. I think you have her at 4-head and 3.5-head atm.

Usually this time is the down time. A few more hrs and some will probably wake up to it.
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pyzern I checked, she's pretty much 50/50 4 heads by 4 heads. Cheers for looking out though.

Quickly blocked in some more of her gear. So much more to go... :/
    PaUGbSo.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    PyrZern wrote: »
    dDo...like cheating

QFT

How do I import more objects into marmorset? I found that this has already been discussed on polycount, but I haven't been able to tell exactly how to do that (and all my attempts always ended up with all objects using the same maps).

I have (untextured) eyes and hair (textured) already done. Here is my progress so far (need to modify lips, head colours and nails):
    15981 tris, 2k maps (head isn't on separate one).
    z7JvVdc.png
    jklWlfV.png
    B5SJ1fa.png
    QEsTopN.png
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustMeSR Merge every lowres that would share the same texture map. Then export multiple subgrooups out as 1 OBJ file will do. Make more Material in Marmoset, and assign them accordingly.

Having lunch then I'm jumping on the Hangout now :P
  • Third
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, this where I ended up. Didn't get much further than a rough basemesh. Very first 3D model, still a lot of room for improvement. Any and all crits welcome!

Definitely gearing up for the next challenge!

Persp.pngOrtho%20front.pngOrtho%20side.pngOrtho%20back.png
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe polycounter lvl 11
    rUx2BGo.jpg

Some stitching detailing started and arm guards made. Still need to add:

- Hose/connector
    - Holster
    - Shoe buckles
    - Edits to face and make hair
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul, your attention to / level of details is awesome. Love those tactical pouches and them straps man.

I'm calling mine done now. This ride has been a blast.
    c2MipcD.jpg
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I won't finish by today so I'm going to go ahead and post my current progress. If only this weekend I wasn't forced to move out of my dorm. She should be done before the end of the week. Anyways, I'm taking a break tomorrow from everything. TTFN.

She is pretty far into texturing. The spec and gloss aren't finished, and the diff is still mostly vcols and base colors.

ifRh76i.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Wow Ark that's brilliant, good work on the face! My favorite of the bunch. Great work all :)
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul, your attention to / level of details is awesome. Love those tactical pouches and them straps man.

Thanks dude. Still feel I've a long way to go; lot of pieces still need a detailing pass once I've got the last of the parts in.

Pyr: The face looks great. Only comment would be I'm not entirely sold on the scar. The addition of asymmetry is always good but I'm not sure it reads that well as a cut.I'd also say that the AO is a little strong on the cloak and grey areas of the suit. Regardless, well done for getting so far with this within the month, it's a big project.

Alicia: As above, congrats on getting so far with the project, would be great to see yours posed!
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    5 days of Gastric Flu and a week without a computer due to moving house is not going to stop me finishing this lady off!

Finished the high poly on saturday, did 90% of the low poly on sunday and was hoping to finish that and UVs tonight but due to exhaustion, will have to wait. Last count, the LP was sitting at about 25k and looking pretty good, want to see how she bakes.

ac4qh3.jpg

Ive actually cheated a little and used the head and hands from my previous character as a way to finish her up, I'll post the LP (hopefully bakes too in the next day or so).

Great work to everyone who had a go, has been fun! especially nice work to Arkevilex, Monophobe, PyrZern, rino and JustMeSR! still here at the end!
  • CLo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CLo polycounter lvl 3
    tumblr_n3a0thKydT1tvqhkgo1_1280.pngtumblr_n3a0thKydT1tvqhkgo4_1280.png
    This is as far as I managed to get, but I'm really stoked with the strides I've made as far as anatomy. Hopefully this next month I'll get a finished product for this contest!
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats again to all who took part this month who feel they learnt even a little. This has been a hell of a project and as such I'm a long way from done, however I'm not prepared to rush things just to finish within the month so I will be ducking out of the April challenge in order to continue with my Pilot girl and will keep posting my progress. Feedback will, as always be appreciated, though I won't be too surprised if this thread dies a little in activity.

Tonight I made some adjustments to the arm guards and have made the gun holster and strap setup. As with many of my subtools I will need to come back and do a detail pass, but my immediate goal remains to get all of the key shapes in place (boot straps/buckles to finalise along with the hose/connector). After that I will detail the outfit then finally get back to the face.

OaJ6zxD.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i decided that i am gonna go bpr route

aQ9njWE.png

baked this. and some texture.
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the compliments! :poly136:

Well here is my final submission for this month. I'll have to revisit her to clean her up an finish her. But this is as done as she is gonna get at this point. I did have her posed but some had pointed out that she looked too stiff, so I opted to render her in T.

ro88k6i.jpg
    Tc1IZxh.jpg

Turntable on Youtube
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Monophobe Can't wait to see you finish the piece. Gonna be awesome.

@rino The blocky camouflage looks kind of weird. But everything else is awesome.

@Arkevilex But I like the posture you gave her a lot O o' And she's definitely Mass Effect 3 material. Should make a FemShep mod :P
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Other than any minor edits I might feel are needed when it comes to baking, I'm finally calling the suit portion of my high poly finished. Next the daunting task of going back to the face and trying to get that up to a similar standard.

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement so far and apologies if it bugs folk when I keep bringing this thread back to the first page until the day she's finished.

gWJcQwn.jpg
  • kay-vonlanthen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kay-vonlanthen polycounter lvl 7
    could you please post the links properly? i dont like searching for the next months thread. i found the voting thread but no link for the next month. maybe you can post the link on top of every voting thread when the voting is over. its much easier.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    could you please post the links properly? i dont like searching for the next months thread. i found the voting thread but no link for the next month. maybe you can post the link on top of every voting thread when the voting is over. its much easier.

Here it is http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133078
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this thread is a ghost town now but any feedback would be appreciated.

Tonight I took the head I did back at the start of March, Zremeshed it as I had some very dodgy flows going on which weren't helping the sculpt and reshaped various areas, working through subdivisions far more meticulously to get what I think is a better end result.

The top row is the old version, the bottom is the new...

(EDIT: Just to add, I've not touched the ears as they will be covered with hair anyway, just the face).

tSg0zF4.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry folks. I forgot to post link to the April's . My bad. My bad.

@Monophobe The newer one looks way better man. I'd give her a bit more cheekbones and her forehead appears too flattened to me.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pyr, I'll take another look at it tonight :)
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    rino wrote: »
    i decided that i am gonna go bpr route

aQ9njWE.png

baked this. and some texture.

i have a comment about the "wear" you did on the lower camoflaged panels. the wear on these specific panels should be the opposite of what you did. the wear should not be on the edges, at least on the inner side, but on the center. because the edges would not touch anything in order to be worn out. for example when you fall down or something, the center and outer edges would be worn out.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    you are right i'll fix it, i'll post in few hours. thank you!
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Quite ok with how this one turned out. (the face looks dead, the hair has alpha issues, helmet doesn't have the right materials and that tube is too lowpoly)

Shuycva.png
    m1Zn4aC.png
    IGWBayt.png

Also thanks PyrZern.:)
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i need help.

realistically speaking, is this pose fine with her holding huge gun like that?
    SnbT5mC.png
  • Arkevilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino wrote: »
    i need help.

realistically speaking, is this pose fine with her holding huge gun like that?
    SnbT5mC.png

Should work. Just lean her a bit more to make up for the weight of the gun.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i think i am done

Kmi8zJa.png

9ZUiYjI.png

CtoTITY.png
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Hey Rino, looking good. I think you should bring her elbow out a bit more though, she'd have to break her wrist to get that angle working.
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some really great work there rino, it'd be nice to see some texture breakdowns and wires, what's it rendered in, did you go PBR, etc?

Just my opinion of course but I don't feel the helmet works at all with this character. Someone so heavily armored up top wouldn't then be wearing a suit that offers little protection and suggests quick movement. Also, she's a sniper who would be lying down to take the shot; in a helmet with little to no neck movement she'd be staring at the floor.

Plus, you've done a cracking job on the face textures, covering it is a shame.

The hair could do with some more love, possibly you haven't set those floating planes to be double sided in the render so they look like they just cut off.

The buttcrack in the suit goes a bit high, even in a skin tight suit the material would stretch flat across the recess towards the top.

Overall some lovely work there and congrats for getting so much done in the timeframe!
  • tierzilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    hey rino i made a quick paint over , hope you dont mind. this are the things i feel like they need a bit of improve :)
    oo2sfp9.jpg
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    thank you so much guys for crits. i realized after i posted the character that it isn't done completely.

again thank you guys, i'll be posting later or tomorrow, hopefully finished version.

oh and monophobe, yeah it's pbr and marmoset.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    i am done. i pushed the jaw up a bit and changed eyelashes as tierzilla suggested. helmet was removed. pose is now different.

i didn't fix the crack and few other things because i am truly tired of looking at her. hair stinks, i need to work on that in future. colors were changed.

here is the bitch:

character_07_01.jpg
    character_07_02.jpg

textures and wires are here: http://rino3d.blogspot.cz/2013/02/character07.html

again, thanks a lot for the crits, guys and gurls.
  • jacob thomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rino - nice one dude. Your wires are SO clean! Moving forward I think you should work on your material definition. Get those mats really popping.

I spent most of the weekend jumping between working on this and working on my website.
    Still a lot to go, but the sculpt is nearing the endzone.
    Here is my update,
    jacobthomas_pilotGirl_wip02.jpg
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Monophobe wrote: »
    I know this thread is a ghost town now but any feedback would be appreciated.

Tonight I took the head I did back at the start of March, Zremeshed it as I had some very dodgy flows going on which weren't helping the sculpt and reshaped various areas, working through subdivisions far more meticulously to get what I think is a better end result.

The top row is the old version, the bottom is the new...

(EDIT: Just to add, I've not touched the ears as they will be covered with hair anyway, just the face).

tSg0zF4.jpg
    Sorry folks. I forgot to post link to the April's . My bad. My bad.

@Monophobe The newer one looks way better man. I'd give her a bit more cheekbones and her forehead appears too flattened to me.

I finished my high res at the weekend with further changes to the head which you can see here:

4conhAW.jpg

Got the head retopped/UVd and did a test bake before going to bed (will work on it more tonight)

2fau9UE.jpg
  • klown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    klown polycounter lvl 12
    xm5x1f.jpg

4qhjq1.jpg

Normally I would be annoyed that I missed the deadline but getting sick and having to move house conspired against me in finishing this to completion and on time. I still wanted to finish her all the way up to texturing and hopefully can finish her in the next month or 2 (as well as give her some hair :P)

Was good fun and a good challenge. Coming from pre rendered side of 3D, I went higher than I needed to with her LP and that slowed me down and caused some minor issues so all notes for the next one ;)

Really great stuff from everyone who participated! I wont be in this months but will be back for May and look forward to what everyone does for April :D
  • Monophobe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still getting some time in here and there to work on this character, in amongst learning some UE4, building a new PC and general life getting in the way.

Here's my latest on the head and hair which I'm calling done as frankly I've tweaked this as far as I can until the day I see someone work out a nice hair shader.

Looking forward to getting back to working on the body and then getting her rigged up.

UE4 shots:
    q38aJJh.jpg