• Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    iniside wrote: »
    Yeah I know what are you thinking now :D

Yup. I'm thinking exactly that.

Edit:
    Actually another thought I just had is that if it's open to Scaleform as a plugin, maybe there will be other plugins that simplify this stuff.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    This is great news really. Scaleform was a major obstacle in the last project I worked on.

Do you know if there's any info out there on Slate? I can't seem to find anything on youtube or the wiki on it.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/Slate/index.html

The search system doesn't return anything. Probably broken for the moment. :p
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Yup. I'm thinking exactly that.

Edit:
    Actually another thought I just had is that if it's open to Scaleform as a plugin, maybe there will be other plugins that simplify this stuff.

Someone was working for CoherentUI integration in beta.
    You can sure integrate Scaleform.
    The issue is that Scaleform will cost you more than 3 years of UE4 subscription :D
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Just heard the news, this is surreal for me.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well no, my problem with my last project was the opposite. It was that we needed something very simple and Scaleform was just too much. It required us to learn their platform, and flash, and Unrealscript integration. Which was great if we were doing some fancy stuff, but it was a dead-simple UI. It sort of forced us to up the scope on what we wanted to do.

So I was hoping U4 would have something simpler out of the box.
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    Froyok wrote: »
    Both, Blueprints are compiled in the end. If I remember correctly it's as fast at the Unrealscript.

I have only watched Hourences video and gathered some misc info here (still downloading) but as a programmer it seams to pretty much be a scripting language that is graph based instead of text based. It has the same constructs (functions, variables etc) and it extends the native classes in the same way unreal script did.

The biggest issue with very complex stuff might actually be organizing the graphs. There is no reason for it to be any slower than unreal script when it is compiled(other then potentially when using the debugger as it is visualizing stuff in the graph).

C++ code might be needed for optimization in some cases but it probably is only in the same cases where Unreal Script was also to slow.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so since the NDA is off, I would really love to hear about some things that were previously secret. Namely Networking and UI.

- Networking: Has this changed at all? None of the promotion videos I've seen in the past year touched on this. I'm specifically curious about how replication is handled with Blueprint now, and if they moved all the networking/replication stuff to Blueprint.
    64 player limit has been removed, it still uses client/server architecture, and sending replicated events requires the variable or function to include (server, reliable) or (client, unreliable) or whatever you need. Its not hard to get up and running.

same architecture(pawn, actor, player controller) but you have more access to change things if you want, its pretty flexible.

- UI: Is it still Scaleform? If it is, I'm assuming the Kismet hooks moved into Blueprint, but what about the previous Unrealscript stuff?

Also, what about the old pre-Scaleform system? Is that completely gone now, or does UE4 has its own basic UI system?
    Scaleform is gone, its been replaced with Slate, although you can integrate scaleform yourself if you want. Slate is a c++ architecture that is a pain in the ass to learn, but is pretty straightforward. Not available via blueprints and cannot be previwed in editor.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah. If you want very simple UI you can use Blueprint HUD.

I can't find docs for it, but in the essence Blueprint HUD is using simple Canvas, and you setup HUD data using Blueprint

It is actually very simple, though need a bit of preparation and thinking ahead, when you plan you want to expose for your HUD.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    @ blueprint inquiries:

They are incredibly powerful. Unreal script is no longer a thing in uE4, and has been replaced with Blueprint. You can make full games, handle networking and replication, save games, inventories, or do more tool oriented stuff and build blueprints that improve your workflow or control visuals in your scene.

They can take a little time to learn and get into, but their power is incredible. Would suggest downloading the sample demos and games and dissecting them, they should all be pretty well documented.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I see, I'd love to see something on that. Blueprint HUD sounds like exactly the term I was hoping would show up. We were trying to have something as simple as a Health-bar, or a text-field the player can type into, and it was a pain in the ass with Scaleform. Felt like trying to fry a chicken with a nuclear bomb. Definitely overkill.

64 player limit has been removed, it still uses client/server architecture, and sending replicated events requires the variable or function to include (server, reliable) or (client, unreliable) or whatever you need. Its not hard to get up and running.

same architecture(pawn, actor, player controller) but you have more access to change things if you want, its pretty flexible.
    Not that I would ever dream of trying it, but could you do a persistent world now?

I'm not thinking of actually attempting it, just trying to gauge what's possible now.

I remember us looking into Phasing, and it was basically impossible in U3. I mean something like having the server only replicate a certain set of actors for certain players, and a different set of actors for certain other players.
  • illo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blueprint UI/HUD cant have interaction, basic healthbar or whatever is fine(and super easy) but no Inventory management, buttons, etc.)
    As a side note, the whole Unreal4 engine UI was done in Slate, so its very powerful.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Not that I would ever dream of trying it, but could you do a persistent world now?

I'm not thinking of actually attempting it, just trying to gauge what's possible now.

I remember us looking into Phasing, and it was basically impossible in U3. I mean something like having the server only replicate a certain set of actors for certain players, and a different set of actors for certain other players.

If you feel like it, you can replace entire networking subsystem with your own.

ThinkDifferent (uLink) have ready integration for UE4. So doing MMO in UE4 indie version is feasble. Though it won't be cheap.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'm just waiting for them to grant me my access to the stuff now... emailed them like 4 hours ago or something.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    According to Epic
    Unreal Engine 4 is now available to everyone, and priced so that we succeed only when you do. We've made our policies to be friendly and low risk. You can cancel your subscription at any time and keep using the engine, though without monthly updates.
    So I can just pay $20, cancel it, and the engine's all mine? Without the updates of course.

Also, they say the engine requires alot of power. Can my HD 7770 + i7 860 do the trick? At least for just importing assets and lighting them?

If all of the above is true, then holy crap, this is a game changer!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    JordanN wrote: »
    According to Epic
    So I can just pay $20, cancel it, and the engine's all mine? Without the updates of course.

Also, they say the engine requires alot of power. Can my HD 7770 + i7 860 do the trick? At least for just importing assets and lighting them?

If all of the above is true, then holy crap, this is a game changer!

Yes for the subscription.
    Check the official FAQ for the recommend hardware.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    an example of something that can be done with blueprints...

plug ins for your editor.

-ability to drop props to the ground and move them around over the terrain and they adjust to the terrain below them.

-snap props to verts/surfaces, etc

so much more. i haven't really done much but I have seen the insane value in them.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hooooly shit!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knbZ_g8Hgvk"]1 - Epic Games Animation and Rigging Toolkit - YouTube[/ame]
  • pulse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pulse polycounter lvl 8
    Dear polycounters, I have a few questions, after I recovered from the shock:)

Ok, what about the animation pipeline? The video tutorials on ue4 site shows of maya, how about 3dsmax?

What is used for facial animations, is facefx still around?

Naturally, what about matinee replacement, is it still around or blueprint handles that as well?
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Blueprints are crazy, I don't think a lot of people see how powerful they are yet, but that will change soon hopefully!

Here's something you could do with it:

Place an item in the scene, and select the top-mid and bottom meshes. Let is automatically drop it on the floor and place them neatly ( in this case a beam )
    gif01.gif

Now, create 4 of them, and simply move your object in the scene, the blueprint magic will still work!:

gif02.gif

Go crazy with it!:

gif03.gif

There is A LOT more of course, I'll be making some tutorials soon.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    pulse wrote: »
    Dear ploycounters, I have a few questions, after I recovered from the shock:)

Ok, what about the animation pipeline? The video tutorials on ue4 site shows of maya, how about 3dsmax?

What is used for facial animations, is facefx still around?

Naturally, what about matinee replacement, is it still around or blueprint handles that as well?

Nope, there no FaceFx anymore. You can use 3DS Max or even Blender for exporting content (animation, static, etc.). The FBX file format is still used for importing content.
  • dmj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dmj

I wonder if that plug in will work for Maya LT.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's written in Python. So probably not.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought Max2015 moved to Python
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes but it doesn't mean it have Maya API ;p.
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    The procedural-mesh blueprint stuff looks pretty sweet. Reminds me of Houdini.
  • pulse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pulse polycounter lvl 8
    @Froyok

Thanks, so what's the deal for facial animation? Morph targets?
    Well, facefx was useful...
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    So much cool stuff this month!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    nice of them to add so much example content.

KfiTPc3.gif

some really nice work on this map too, but the chromatic aberration is a bit too much.

8XDgMOr.jpg
  • CreativeHD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeHD polycounter lvl 6
    So much to learn now! There goes my free time! Thank you so much Epic!
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Oh wow , just wow . I cant take anymore what with the quixel suite and this :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    pulse wrote: »
    @Froyok

Thanks, so what's the deal for facial animation? Morph targets?
    Well, facefx was useful...
    What you want. There is no native system like FaceFx. So you could use morph target yeah. Personally it's a question I'm still working on.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I've been using UE4 for about the last year now, and its pretty great.
    I have to say all the negativity and whining about 20$ to license for a month is kinda crazy and irritating. That is an AMAZING deal, really.

20 dollars a month, 240 dollars a year. That compared to UE3 being 60 dollars when you bought Unreal Tournament. Or UDK and all its updates being 100% free. 20 dollars a month sure isnt an AMAZING deal, UDK for free with updates was an AMAZING deal :)

I'm glad you can still use the engine once you cancel your sub. Thats what I will end up doing. Pay 20 bucks, get the engine, cancel, wait like a year or 2 and then pay another 20 for all the updates. Monthly sub is just a way to nickel and dime people who are students and hobbyist. As someone who used UDK for just fun art I never found even a year of updates worth 20 bucks. Most of the updates are tailored towards indies making an actual game.

I will also be removing "Rendered in UE4" from anything I do from now on and just say "Rendered in Realtime". No more free advertising. I am personally just against unnecessarily charging students and hobbyists who use your software and give it a lot of free advertising.

UE4 looks pretty though :)
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    ZacD wrote: »
    Also when anyone gets the chance to play with it, are there any example scenes or projects included with the engine?

I don't know if this was posted already, but someones posted this to the crytek board:

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=1203124#p1203124
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It's $20 a month for full source code access. No commercial engine has ever done that before now.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ambershee wrote: »
    It's $20 a month for full source code access. No commercial engine has ever done that before now.

Yeah, for some perspective the Silicon Knights vs Epic lawsuit revealed that they paid $750,000 to license UE3.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    You gotta give 5% of your actual income ?

5% ??

Wow that changes everything
    Epic trying REALLY hard getting people on their side it seems
    It was 20% before if I remember right

Cannot believe it right now
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The basic philosophy is that we aren't successful unless you are. So, make a hit game dammit. :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Looks like I'll be going back to studying how to use it via Youtube :)

Thank you for giving me more work to do...Epic... >_<
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Autocon wrote: »
    20 dollars a month, 240 dollars a year. That compared to UE3 being 60 dollars when you bought Unreal Tournament. Or UDK and all its updates being 100% free. 20 dollars a month sure isnt an AMAZING deal, UDK for free with updates was an AMAZING deal :)

The major difference though is that UDK wasn't totally free for commercial use either, and carried its own license/royalty costs when used for profit.

UDK still exists, and people who want to continue to use it for non-commercial fun or skill development can continue to do so, even if Epic is no longer hosting/updating/supporting it.

For example, I have a Unity Pro license at home for which I pay $75/month, AND I'm tied into a 1 year min contract. This, by comparison, seems much better.

This new model is definitely tailored towards indie development vs hobbyist or students, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Its just providing an avenue for indies to get their hands on the latest tech from Epic WITH support, source code, etc. The fact that you can start/stop your subscription whenever you want and still get all the benefits is what is really great. So pay your 20$ now...and 20$ when you're ready to release.
  • Karmageddon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Karmageddon polycounter lvl 7
    This is really amazing stuff. I can't wait to get my hands on this!
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    well this is something unexpectedly huge, i didn't expect Epic to adopt such a radical approach, for those whinging about $20/mo subscription fee, if you look a few years back its really nothing, and 5% royalty seems reasonable, from what i read basically you only need to spend $20 to get a kick at one of the most powerful game engine, i mean its a entire engine, it costed thousands of thousands dollars couple of years ago to get such a complete package and it surely escalates the game engine market within a day. Unity is already doing something maybe Crytek will be following very soon, in the end of the day indie developers will be happy either way.
  • Giggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noob question for you all , do I still have to bother with a 2nd UV map/channel for lightmass calculations? Or is there a way to use DX11 and bypass that step?
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The second UV channel is used to bake lightmaps dedicated to the GI. So unless you don't want global illumination, you will still need this second UV set.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    The second UV channel is used to bake lightmaps dedicated to the GI. So unless you don't want global illumination, you will still need this second UV set.

So wait, lighting information is not baked into the 2nd UV channel, just GI information?
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Its a LOT more forgiving now though and normal maps are amazing and no longer have the kind of issues with mirroring of uv's that required a bit more foresight to work around that they did in UE3.

It's sooooo much better now for environment art.
  • Giggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I'm confused then. Per Epic's documentation,

Force No Precomputed Lighting - This essentially deactivates Lightmass's ability to produce light and shadowmaps, forcing the level to only use dynamic lighting.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/Lightmass/index.html

Would this not force fully dynamic lighting, thus eliminating lightmaps?
  • Count Vertsalot
    Also this is a tax write off people....

Not if you're a hobbyist.

It's still plenty affordable for a hobby, but Epic pretty much killed their own gateway to their previous popularity. There are probably a countless number of people who bought a game Epic made and decided to dick around in the editor for fun one day and ended up in the game industry. Now only people with a pretty good idea they already want to work in games might give Unreal a shot, but they might not even look at Unreal now. It might work out for them, but it's a pretty bold move.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Its a LOT more forgiving now though and normal maps are amazing and no longer have the kind of issues with mirroring of uv's that required a bit more foresight to work around that they did in UE3.

It's sooooo much better now for environment art.

Yay, I'm hoping no more issues with specular seams at uv edges, a fully synced normal map tangent workflow, no more issues with specular seams when rotating modular pieces ( http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/964248-Specular-issues-with-baked-lighting ), etc.
  • Jacky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky polycounter lvl 6
    Giggle wrote: »
    I'm confused then. Per Epic's documentation,

Force No Precomputed Lighting - This essentially deactivates Lightmass's ability to produce light and shadowmaps, forcing the level to only use dynamic lighting.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/Lightmass/index.html

Would this not force fully dynamic lighting, thus eliminating lightmaps?

It means you can use dynamic lighting with no GI without building lights. You still need a second(or a single UV layout with no overlapping surfaces) if you want to use Lightmass to get nice baked shadows and GI. It is a lot faster and cleaner than UDK's solution though.
  • Giggle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacky wrote: »
    It means you can use dynamic lighting with no GI without building lights. You still need a second(or a single UV layout with no overlapping surfaces) if you want to use Lightmass to get nice baked shadows and GI. It is a lot faster and cleaner than UDK's solution though.

I understand. So, as long as I have a proper UV layout it can recycle that and I don't have to go through the extra step of having a second channel with independent spaced UV islands like in ue3 to prevent bleeding?