Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

.-| Week 8 - The Weekly Hard Surface Challenge |-.

Replies

• Damian Nachman
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    That's what I was able to decipher from the ref:

YokNX9u.png

Wires
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Uhm... this is still a work in progress, but I think I got the shape more or less correct?

8prbpQH.png

The 'Fix This :(" part is a pain in the butt. It's good that it sorta fades out, but still... I will do that at the end once I finish everything else :P

Edit: Checking out the image on my iPad now... ugh. My monitors are probably too bright and the whites are being blown out because I just noticed the top of the 'bar' with the "Fix This" thing is actually more rounded on the top. Oh well, I will fix that too.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Ok, I'll finally have some time tonight to get this one. I've been looking at the shape, and I think its easiest to break it down into two pieces. I made a sketch, which, when I get home I'll post so others can see as well, which makes it a good deal simpler to understand. The technical paper was a HUGE help to understanding it. There is a filter element that is bolted in from the bottom flange plate. The input side is pretty much a 90* bend that runs straight through (think, right side flange, to the bottom flange) but has a slight pinch at the top. The outlet side, is a large circular bulge around that cartridge. Since water enters the cartridge through the top inlet, and gets dispersed 360* around it, imagine a donut shape as the base for the outlet side. Then, funnel this donut shape into the outlet flange on the left. So, if you build these two shapes, then merge and blend them, I think you will get a pretty dang close representation. Just add the support webbing, and the dimple at the top.
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    supaclueless polycounter lvl 12
    Finally managed to finish this week's model! This was actually a TON of fun to do just because i'm absolute trash in making softer smooth shapes rather than planar surfaces. Thanks to AlexRodriguez for more ref images and Paznos for the PDF, helped a ton!

As usual, I probably butchered a couple of spots in terms of proportions and whatnot. I actually feel like I did pretty decent job overall. The main portion that connects the two pipes off would be most likely were I would botch the curvature of the surface.

For those who feel like this surface is impossible, just keep trying and trying (and hopefully suck less than me) Here is an idea on how many times I screwd up (My 3rd attempt was pretty much nailed when I got the pdf ref) Attempts! :)
    HpWeekly_5a.png
    Wires!
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    Figured out the topology thanks Jurassic, I am certain the proportions are correct I used the pdf reference images to verify.

Topology Layout

Green lines: Lines of symmetry
    Blue Line: Topology (8 sided cylinder)
    Yellow (The small extrusion coming out)
    Pink: Areas to extruded out from
    Black/Gray: The Pipes
    Black Sides: The connectors
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, here is mine. I think it's pretty accurate to the reference. I have some smoothing errors, but they aren't too bad. :)

Wires
    12488050723_639a14b555_o.png
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah Commandor, yours seems to be the closest though it seems like your "fat" pipe (the one that widens) has a very sharp angle where it gets closer to the end (not where it blends with the other pipe, but the opposite). It might be the lighting though, but I think it should have a smoother shape.

Otherwise great work.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    Commandor: You are the closes yet, the only problem is that slice you made, it transitions more smoothly into a cylinder. (Kind of looks like it been sliced by a hot knife
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    I see that now. The sides do have a bit of a rectangular cross section, but mine should be softened a bit to match better. I'll try to get it updated tomorrow.
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    I think I might revisit this weeks piece because after seeing other peoples work I actually noticed my piece is insensibly off in the middle. Mines too rounded rather than flowing like the reference, I read that shape wrongly.
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated the mesh in my first post. Smoothed it out a bit to better reflect the reference.

Here is a guide I drew for any of you guys who have not started. Think of it as two separate shapes. Build them, and then blend them where they overlap.

12488732494_04da19f120_o.png
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    I updated the mesh in my first post. Smoothed it out a bit to better reflect the reference.

Here is a guide I drew for any of you guys who have not started. Think of it as two separate shapes. Build them, and then blend them where they overlap.

Thanks I been waiting for someone to make a top down sketch, a final note I used the sculpt geometry tool a few times as this is a organic hard surface to get my smoothness at optimal level.
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    JurassicPerk polycounter lvl 6
    I've finally made some free time for week 5. Not 100% satisfied with the resemblance, gotta admit it was very organic considering it's a hard surface :P

>> Wireframes <<

week_05_beauty.jpg

week_05_shaded.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey JurassicPerk, glad to see yours seems to be looking fairly close to mine! I guess I wasn't so off!

I will finish mine tomorrow. Haven't had much time these last 3 days :(
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
    I have no clue on where to go with this model to be fair, give me something sharp to do and I have no problem. But a flowing shape like this, I just have no clue on where to start.

Seeing how much everyone else's mesh's flow, I'm quite interested on how everyone achived the middle shape.

Also this noob thread is starting to move further and further away from noobs, just so you know.
    I would say I'm an intermediate level artist and I've had to plan the last two objects with bad outcomes.
  • sinneD
    Damnit Jura.. you have to start posting render settings also.
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    Hey JurassicPerk, glad to see yours seems to be looking fairly close to mine! I guess I wasn't so off!

I will finish mine tomorrow. Haven't had much time these last 3 days :(

Hi Mik2121, glad you think that but you should refer to the photograph not to my result XD

Anyway, I think your wip has really good proportions.
    Mossbros wrote: »
    I have no clue on where to go with this model to be fair, give me something sharp to do and I have no problem. But a flowing shape like this, I just have no clue on where to start.

Seeing how much everyone else's mesh's flow, I'm quite interested on how everyone achived the middle shape.

Also this noob thread is starting to move further and further away from noobs, just so you know.
    I would say I'm an intermediate level artist and I've had to plan the last two objects with bad outcomes.

Mossbros, if it can be of any help, later today I will post a .gif of the various steps I followed to model mine.
    Anyway, in my opinion, to approach this week's model, you should start with very few polygons. Once the "central" shape looks good, then you should apply a couple of smooth and then collapse the mesh. At the point, you can add the circular part on the top and the end shapes more easily, without deforming the central part.
  • minoribus
    Yes, this shape has some aspects of organic modeling. Here is my approach for this week.

iV6drBw.png

I started by modelling along one of the reference images, that have been in the reference material from Paznos by just extruding and using the spin tool. After that I used proportional editing and, indeed, a bit of sculpting to make the roundness of the lower part.

I found that the drawing in the PDF file was not as accurate as it promised to be because after I modeled along this reference I had to tweak a lot to have something similar to the photo. But it wasn't that bad to get a base mesh. So my wires aren't constructed from two separate meshes.

JurassicPerk and Commador, I like your way also. JurassicPerk, the dome of the right part looks like you've started from spheres as primitives?

Here are my wires.
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    sinneD wrote: »
    Damnit Jura.. you have to start posting render settings also.

Eheh, sinneD, posting the render settings won't be of any help: there's no magic combination of settings, I'm just creating custom HDRs for each week model. To make these HDRs I'm using HDR Light Studio. That's it. :)
    minoribus wrote: »
    JurassicPerk and Commador, I like your way also. JurassicPerk, the dome of the right part looks like you've started from spheres as primitives?

Hi minoribus, no sphere involved in the modeling.

I've created a .gif detailing the workflow for week5 model, it's >>>HERE<<<
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    Jurrasic: Nice .gif that how I managed to get mine shaped out correctly.

Mossbros: There half a dozen helpful posting from all of us that would greatly help you get the overall shape started even more now than when I started. I also struggled threw this one it was surely a advanced model to make *If you fight threw it you will get it done took me 2 whole days, I only been modeling around 2 months*

aDZTI0U.png

As for mine it more based off the .pdf image instead of the reference, kind of looks like the .pdf compared to the reference deviates in some areas.

*So many great helpful post after I had already been wrapping up the modeling and adding the extra topology.*

Wires
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Mossbros polycounter lvl 9

Mossbros: There half a dozen helpful posting from all of us that would greatly help you get the overall shape started even more now than when I started. I also struggled threw this one it was surely a advanced model to make *If you fight threw it you will get it done took me 2 whole days, I only been modeling around 2 months*

wL3XzBn.png

As for mine it more based off the .pdf image instead of the reference, kind of looks like the .pdf compared to the reference deviates in some areas.

*So many great helpful post after I had already been wrapping up the modeling and adding the extra topology.*

Wires

I know what you are saying, but I didn't mean to put it across as I couldn't do it, but more that I was struggling. And for something that's supposed to be quick and to keep you limber. I really don't think it qualifies as a quick challenge anymore.

The challenges started off great offering both mildly complex shapes mixed with something fairly easy (5-10 mins), now it's evolved away from that and is now catering towards the intermediates as they complained the shapes were too easy.

The whole point in these challenges isn't to struggle, but to have something that may be complex but shouldn't take long so that the "Noobs" don't loose interest or feel bad because they cannot complete the task at hand.

I'm not saying fix it, or break it. But with where it is at the moment with the work loads I get. I don't have the time to contemplate tackling these shapes when I could spend my hour making shapes I have to make.
  • Beowulf
    At first glance I thought I could never model this... but that's not a good attitude to have! So here's my take on it.

R3fiLc4.jpg

And here's my smoothed wires.

Some self-crits: my bolts are too big, I have some iffy spots in my geo where i was trying to avoid adding extra loops, and I'm still not sure the "bowl" is right. Still, it was a good brain teaser. The orthographic views and GIF posted here really helped me wrap my mind around the shape.
  • Fisty
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    i like that the shapes are kind of hard, if it was easy we wouldn't learn anything :D you have a whole week to complete this so ya i don't agree with the guys saying there to hard.
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes they are a little to big lol, as for the geo mess around with the sculpt geometry tool (or whatever it called in Max) and form the shape out after adding extra topology (easier than starting over or reshaping). Also you didnt post your wires but the render images :)

I agree Moss but it was more to tackle on the various aspect of hard surface and the challenges you might face *s6 also stated in skype this would be on of the hardest then it will scale back down*.

As s6 stated in his last post dont worry about getting it perfect just see if u can get just the basic shape of the semi s shape pipe
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks JurassicPerk for the .gif on the body workflow. Updated my post with my new revision. I ended up mainly following the gif to setup the body and I STILL SCREWD up the godamm proportions. I need to make the tubing on the top a little more cylindrycal but I ended up over-flattening it! Same with the hard crease to show the connection between the two pipes! :poly127: Well it was still really good practice for working on something that is not planar surface modelling:)

Eheh, sinneD, posting the render settings won't be of any help: there's no magic combination of settings, I'm just creating custom HDRs for each week model. To make these HDRs I'm using HDR Light Studio. That's it. :)

• Marshall Pineapple
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on polycount forums. Such a great and heplful thread. Here is what I managed to achieve for this week challenge.

ld53Xr2.jpg
  • minoribus

Thanks for the workflow gif, JurassicPerk. The way you did it gives the best control over the junction part, I believe. :thumbup:
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks JurassicPerk for the .gif on the body workflow.
    minoribus wrote: »
    Thanks for the workflow gif, JurassicPerk.

You're welcome, guys :thumbup:
  • JamesHodgart
    Hi all :) Didn't get much chance to work on this properly, hectic week! Start a new job on Monday and I've been asked to learn MODO, hence the dodgy shapes :) Didnt want to miss a week though!

12529933484_4e3af38e11_o.jpg
    week5 by ravedonkeyad, on Flickr
  • Kharn
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Right In just before new "week" :p . I might try and catch up on last week tonight.
    I followed the .pdf (thanks AlexRodriguez ) but its the first time I've seen a technical doc so diffrent to the end product, oh well.
    fLQpW2S.pngEbgMeck.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Week 6!

Testing the waters here with a concept more relevant to game art.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to do any of the designs in the concept.

Art by : Asahisuperdry

Y18fqrw.jpg
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, awesome concepts, s6. I'm gonna try to do the third one, it's my favourite :)
  • JamesHodgart
  • supaclueless
    Online / Send Message
    Gonna be doing the 2nd one, might also actually plan to make a low-poly for this one
  • minoribus
    This week's model will be fun :) I'm not decided yet. The third has that nice etching but I also like the first one. Great choice for this week, s6!
  • AlexRodriguez
    Offline / Send Message
    I will be doing the 3rd and the 1st. I like how it also a blend with texturing and modeling. *Great change in pace*

As I havent learned to texture imma try to do 2
  • minoribus
    Well, i decided to have some fun and was inspired by the first one. It's not ready yet. Just some details as a free interpretation :)

OQXIrF4.png

m2zAUcF.png
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhm... not quite what I would consider hard surface practice, and even less being someone's concept art instead of some knife that exists in real life. Maybe something more Science-fiction oriented would have been more fit.. Hope next week we get something slightly different. For now, I'll finish last week's.

Good luck to everybody with this week's stuff :)

Edit: If I do something, I might go with the 3rd model though. Looks neat.

Edit 2: Here's last week's hard surface:

w05_01.png

There's a bit of pinching in two spots but if the asset had the same kind of surface as the original source, you wouldn't be able to tell anyway...
  • Arkana
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkana polycounter lvl 8
    Ooh really nice daggers! I think I'll try my hand at the 4th one.
  • WarrenM
    With all the detail on those daggers, it almost looks like sculpting practice. :P
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I got a piece of feedback suggesting we try something in this vein. Just testing the waters. we have many more weeks ahead. I don't anticipate the reception being all that great on props/objects in a specific style, because that only appeals to a specific group of people, but we'll see how it goes :)

None the less, it's a hard surface, and there is some challenging geometry. In theory it should be fine.
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    0mh2vGs.png

Started working on the 3rd dagger. I will work on the low-poly mesh, but all the small details will go into the normal map I think... modeling that stuff is crazy :(

Also right now the small spheres on the handle are just a different mesh right there, but I plan on actually having them blend with the metal.. though if it ends up being too difficult, I might just go with ZBrush for those details (and some wearing here and there).

For the handle I decided to go with something like this:

http://www.kultofathena.com/images/BKS200_l.jpg
  • JustMeSR
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    WarrenM wrote: »
    With all the detail on those daggers, it almost looks like sculpting practice. :P

Only the first one, the rest is more like "optional" Ndo practice. :)

UPc1mHb.png
    wire
  • sinneD
    I like this weeks models...

S6, maybe you could enlist some concept artists on here; incorporate them into the mix. Then they'd get feedback from us to help make them better too.

Dennis.
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Maaaan, carving is fun :D

I'm gonna be a carpenter when I become old

10neq35.jpg
  • commador
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you doing that with Zbrush or are you stark raving mad and doing that with sub-d's?
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    commador wrote: »
    Are you doing that with Zbrush or are you stark raving mad and doing that with sub-d's?

Eheh, yeah I'm doing this in ZB. The "shapes" are done in photoshop and then imported in zbrush to be used as a mask. I don't have much experience with ZB so if anybody wants to suggest the best workflow for a job like this, I'll be thankful :)

Update: I've realized (better late than never!) that I won't be able, given my current hardware configuration, to add enough polygons to reach the level of detail that I want (in zbrush, I would need something like 50 million polygons at least, to be able to sculpt this mask reaching a smooth result...). So, considering this kind of "sculpting" is basically just a displacement in one direction, I'm gonna do it directly in 3D max, at render time:

2a51302.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Offline / Send Message
    w06_01.png
    w06_02.png

I still need to add some details. Also, this is done mostly with dDo so I didn't bring it to Marmoset Toolbag 2. I might try to mess around with the textures and create the roughness and metallic textures, and bring it to Marmoset then.

Edit: Took another screenshot with different lighting to show the leather a bit more. Still not happy with the result though.

w06_03.png
  • JurassicPerk
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Mik2121, the polycount face included in the texturing is a nice touch! :)

If I can make a comment about the leather, I think it could use some wear on the edges
  • Noise
    Offline / Send Message
    Noise polycounter lvl 6
    Eheh, yeah I'm doing this in ZB. The "shapes" are done in photoshop and then imported in zbrush to be used as a mask. I don't have much experience with ZB so if anybody wants to suggest the best workflow for a job like this, I'll be thankful :)

I know you have find a solution other than Zbrush. But if some other people want to try to make those detail in it.

You can export your mesh with GoZ into a 3D app make some fast uv.
    Make the detail as a displacement map.
    Send back the mesh from 3D app with GoZ.
    Apply you displacement map.

Basically it's what you tried. But with this way of working you avoid to have to search the good strength of the brush, you place it where you want and not trying to have it right with the brush and all other problem you can have with an alpha mask.

There is probably also the Uv thing into Zbrush but I never tried it myself.