Homeโ€บ Dota 2

Belkun's Workshop

Replies

• belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Better texture, better masks and a bit bigger weapon overall.

Yj18bsh.png

HDWV0AH.png

RHfeNmN.png

2WHycLl.png

y0hUnBC.jpg

WXAZ6fA.png

Checking if anyone wants to do custom animations for it, or I'm calling that the final version.

EDIT

Made a quick promo. Trying to get better at doing these.

ceUEkHj.png
  • Godzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godzy polycounter lvl 6
    u might want to rotate them 180 degrees. when his passive pops up he turns the blades in a more "offensive posture"
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Godzy wrote: ยป
    u might want to rotate them 180 degrees. when his passive pops up he turns the blades in a more "offensive posture"

I hadn't noticed that! I had it like that on the first time I rigged it, but it turned 180 degrees when in-game and I just thought that I had to rig them the other way. Going to check it out with his passive now, thank you!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    After looking up for more information around here on Polycount, I changed a lot of my texturing style on that Bloodseeker weapon since my old crappy stuff. Took some advice from here and there, and since a lot of people are posting about their workflow, I had nothing better to do so here's a quick breakdown on that last item's textures:

x3YcItn.jpg

Just showing how I set up everything and the base maps. I usually do a lot of adjustments, mainly painting on the individual color layers, using Curves to crank up the cavity, also some Curves to tone down a bit the "diffuse", and finally some hue/saturation on the occlusion maps.

It's pretty close to Valve's guide to texturing, but instead of using a point light I'm now using an object space map, which serves pretty much the same purpose and is much faster to get. I also use the maps from nDo2 on top of everything to give some more definition to the edges and get a stronger shape, so there's no need to paint a lot of stuff and the texture isn't so flat.

Hope it helps someone!

And as always, suggestions and critique is very much welcome :D
  • DjSasori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great info with the texturing.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Glad you liked it :D

I just made a post about using SweetFX on Dota 2 in the Workshop Thread, you guys can check it out here. And here's a quick preview of it:

BrH57Wi.jpg
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    looks like it just raises contrast and sharpens edges which also causes more pixelated borders. might take a look into it though.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    looks like it just raises contrast and sharpens edges which also causes more pixelated borders. might take a look into it though.

That's just the preset I made really quick. You can fully customize what effects you want and what you don't want, not to mention that the value of everything is also adjustable. I also added some AA through it after taking the screenshots, since you can't have AA on in-game in order for it to work.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    faHKQTr.jpg

Taking a look at the whole set in-game. Still have to fix some stuff on the shoulder and we'll also may change some stuff on some textures and masks, but I think we're close to wrapping everything up!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Working on a Spectre weapon. Here's a rough base model:

Hg7u7bt.png

Concept by Mango!

EDIT

Trying it out on ZBrush. Probably going to fix some creases and stuff, but it's almost ready for sculpting.

P6mwEhb.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spent quite a while trying many different color schemes, and after taking a closer look at some textures from weapons currently in-game, I'm settling around something like this:

Nxt4TS3.png

I'm also no sure about adding heavy wear and tear on it, since the weapons currently in-game are pretty plain, with colors being the main detail and thing to make the weapon pop. Also, it kinda makes sense that Spectre don't really hit the enemy itself but its soul or something dumb like that, as she is supposed to be a ghost or an ethereal thing, and when you attack something her weapon don't really makes a blade sound but more of a woosh.

As always, critique is highly appreciated!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Getting that Spectre weapon down to 300 tris was quite a challenge. Had to cut down a LOT of stuff, including the two circles, and I'm not that happy with how some stuff came out, those budgets are a nightmare! I really need to start thinking about the lowpoly before even starting the base mesh, so I don't have anymore problems in the future when trying to bake.

Anyway, I'm almost done with it. Changed some colors around, masks are mostly done. I'm only thinking about maybe toning down a bit of the bright pink, specially on the center, though I'm not sure how much, since it can make the weapon very uninteresting without a focal point.

Here are some screens!

acNwKQY.jpg

MWPa64S.png

i0UkaTm.png

I24LReP.gif

Critique is very much welcome :)
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Finishing up the Spectre weapon. Magno did an awesome job on the diffuse!
    For some reason it's kinda weird on the loadout view, probably because of the light, but it looks good in-game and on the model viewer. Here are a bunch of shots:

W7GjKDi.jpg

tLcR6Me.jpg

Yh8PU5k.jpg

cRQawtj.jpg

guobT7k.jpg

flKV2CT.jpg

pNgAM4P.jpg

4fWItiG.gif

B8wwN7X.gif

Would love some comments before wrapping it up :3
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Spectre weapon submitted!

0pvduBr.png

Also gave my OP a refresh. I'm kinda "starting again" stuff, now that I think I'm more experienced compared to the stuff I did a while ago.
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks great! I actually think the brighter pinks in the loadout gives some nice contrast to your weapon, heh. Still, nice weapon. :>
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    It looks great! I actually think the brighter pinks in the loadout gives some nice contrast to your weapon, heh. Still, nice weapon. :>

Thank you! Personally I think that the loadout view makes it too bright due to the light's direction, but it's nice to see a different opinion about it :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Working on a WK sword. Concept by Noblebatterfly!

Here's the basemesh on ZBrush:

dIgwVqQ.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Some more progress on the sword.

qjL2fQP.png

On the original concept, it appears that are some souls trapped on the blade, with some faces kinda sculpted on it, but I'm not sure if it would look that good in-game, so I'm playing with the idea of making it kinda fleshy instead. I'm probably going to try both ways, but for now, I would love some feedback :)

I think I'll also cut those straps on the blade, since they make no sense to be there. It's impossible to have straps that way, so either I remove them or make them go over the golden guard/grip, which I don't think it's necessary.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    wu9R1z4.png

Trying to do some cuts and stuff. Still not really sure how to achieve the look everyone gets, but I'm trying. Also, is there an easy way to cut a mesh? I'm trying to do some cracks on the edges of the blade but I just can't do it with regular brushes without weird stuff happening.

I'm probably not going to focus so much on the sword, since WK isn't even on the importer. Meanwhile, I'm looking for someone to work with for the 2014 Chinese New Year event :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    While I wait for WK to be on the importer to finish up his sword, I'm working on an Abaddon sword with NFWar!

c2ddLHC.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Finishing up the Abaddon sword:

JUjWpbJ.png
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Ah wow, that's pretty slick
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you Artypi :D

Lowpoly and bakes are finished:

C0h8FEp.png

Now onto the diffuse!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    A bunch of shots of it in-game:

gpJd281.pngzTWagiv.png
    e8eCUDe.pngq6YuMZ1.png
    VgaEYbg.jpg
    9T642Vw.jpg

Just waiting for NFWar to maybe tweak some textures now :)
  • foxclover
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fantastic, the blade is very clean. I'm enjoying it's shape + design a lot. Gj to both of you guys.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot! Working with NFWar's and his concept has been a lot of fun so far. The weapon has a really great, clean and sleek design, and I also learned a thing or two about sculpting some detail while working on it, partially due to getting some ideas from Motenai's sculpting videos :D

Again, thanks for the comment! I really appreciate it <3
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Abaddon sword is finished! Vote on it here!

lFEkuMx.jpg
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Dat promo art :O! Not only is the sword so cool, the promo art seals the deal!
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i rly love that promo art. might u tell me how u did it :) ?

greez
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks a lot guys! I've been trying to improve those for a while, and I think my most recent ones are miles away from the first ones I did. Special thanks to the guys at the Hangout, who gave me some tips when doing the promo for the Spectre weapon :)

I'll see if I can get some more information about how I do them later today, with a small tutorial or something like that :D
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    just need to know how u did that pic:

637x358.resizedimage

would be awesome :)<3

thank you!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Just follow this tutorial to setup Dota's model viewer. After that, I loaded the models (Abaddon and his cosmetic items), took some screenshots with different animations, opened them on Photoshop, removed the background and added the background from the promo with some adjustments and blur.

Hope that helps!
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i got dota modellviewer already, but i got some hell ugly annoying rimlight at every hero..
    also when i use the save screenshot funktion - the output file is broken. i can only shoot low resolution
    screenshots via print-key
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    The save screenshot button is broken for a looooong time, just use the printscreen button. Also try to change the lighting mode on the Render tab and mess with the checkboxes there as well.

I managed to get some really quick images from the layers and stuff on the promo, and also a shot from my Marmoset scene:

GDfFjW9.jpg

zNgHZdp.jpg

Hope that helps!
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    for me this shit allways like that:

modelviewer.jpg

and because of the green annoying light - i cant rly use this for anything..
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, that looks really weird. Make sure you extracted everything right and made all the necessary edits on the guide. Aside from that, I have no idea what's going on D:
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    go extract wk, and tell me if urs is looking different from mine. i guess i did no mistake^^
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    Shock wrote: ยป
    for me this shit allways like that:
    and because of the green annoying light - i cant rly use this for anything..
    Looks like normals are not loaded at all.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    could u give me a screenshot of how ur wk looks inside ur dota2 modellviewer vlad?
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Try checking the Normal Mapping checkbox. It might be broken in this version of model viewer but it worked in most of the old ones.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    doesnt change anything. does the wk modell looks different in ur modellviewer?
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Trying out this stream shenanigan!

http://www.twitch.tv/belkuns/
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Really fun day! Awesome hangout and a nice stream :D
    Working on an Enchantress weapon from kendmd! Managed to finish the basemesh, start sculpting and even some polypaint! Here's a WIP shot:

UTA3INu.png

Streamed all of the process on Twitch and on the Hangout, and I hope I can do it again until I finish it.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Making progress!

mlJTBcv.png

Almost done with the sculpt. Hope I can wrap it up today and start on the retopo :D
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Woo! Managed to finish lod0 and the bakes! I'm not that happy with the rings on the handle, but I'm also not sure if I want to cut tris from other parts for such a minor detail that's not going to be seen that much.

qyeTfYx.png

Now onto lod1! From 700 tris to 350 *shivers*

EDIT

Well, I think that this was easier than expected. Some weird stuff going at the swirls, but it can be fixed easily, and you can't even see it from afar :D

y39YBSO.jpg

EDIT2

Last update on the Enchantress weapon today. Got a base diffuse file setup. Just gotta check with kendmd and see how we're proceeding with the textures.

kdYm2fg.png

Now to some work on the Wraith King sword since he is now available!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    9KIKgGx.png

Pretty much done. I think I'll do some extra color adjustments on the blade and on the straps later on the textures. Really happy with the gold and gem though!
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Got some super sweet clean bakes:

1K4ivrn.png
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Enchantress' spear collab with kendmd is up on the Workshop!

1KQ2wxh.png
  • Artypi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Artypi polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work on the spear! looks beautiful