Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5

maybe got some other ideas for ur to check: color mask! 2 posibilitys:

1. u did make a new save where u didnt link the UV material from the "beltmodell" to the ur colormask.

2. u have an alpha channel activated in ur colormask that makes the texture at this spot invisible.

if its not that u can be at least sure that is no texturing fail ;)

and when u upload to the ingame preview there is a slot for the itemname,
    u should not use one name 2 times (like allways call ur item "Lycanclaws"
    just make numbers behind it and for every single reupload use a new number
    (lycanclaw1, ..2, ..3, ..)
  • miguelfanclub
    @Shock

Man, thank you. I have been checking like 3 hours everything except my textures. For some reason, my color mask has alpha (maybe I pressed the by default 32 bit option in photoshop today)so it was that.

Thanks man, now its working.
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    @Shock

Man, thank you. I have been checking like 3 hours everything except my textures. For some reason, my color mask has alpha (maybe I pressed the by default 32 bit option in photoshop today)so it was that.

Thanks man, now its working.

xD im happy that i was able to help u^^ at least i am usefull for something as newcommer concept artist :)
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey toby.hutter, nice work with her! I'm not so sure about the values you are working, but I like how you play with the contrast between the shapes and colors.

Annnd, mask for Juggernaut, very WIP :)
    59XtJ.png
  • Zipfinator
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Finished a set of horns with Slimeface. Moving onto a Slardar set with Pipotchi and a whole set for Lion with Slime.

35E518BD2DD93C7CA080FB4F9DFEABCA75C97BA9
  • alexxrafael
    CM TP animation. Now i have to learn how to put this ingame.

https://vimeo.com/78690814
  • AndrewHelenek
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    CM TP animation. Now i have to learn how to put this ingame.

https://vimeo.com/78690814

I'll have a tutorial explaining that process soon. :)
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    I love that Juggernaut mask. Most interesting.
  • vlad_the_implyer
    Offline / Send Message
    vlad_the_implyer polycounter lvl 5
    vikk0 wrote: »
    Hey toby.hutter, nice work with her! I'm not so sure about the values you are working, but I like how you play with the contrast between the shapes and colors.

Annnd, mask for Juggernaut, very WIP :)
    59XtJ.png
    Cosmetic_icon_Burden_of_the_Exiled_Ronin.png
  • hopgood
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    What's the similarity there? They look pretty distinct to me?
  • vikk0
    Offline / Send Message
    vikk0 polycounter lvl 6
    Similarities? :/ hmm, I'm sorry, but I cannot find any..but thaanks for pointing ^^

Anyway, it's done!
    Please take a look and vote if you like :)
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192506373
    DA35AB8793DBA962F092999D16B377377BF61E48
    5ab7K.png
    5abmw.png
    4gJznZ1.jpg?1
  • Coyo.Te
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    ultimatec wrote: »
    Finished weapon for Slardar, hope you like it ^^
    IzcTfct.jpg

Link Workshop

48C867910AA4DF0F8F5F7CFA41DD4596386BE1B6

anyone?
  • Snowstorm
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    IzcTfct.jpg

The shape is interesting, but I think it's in desperate need of much brighter highlights which would bring out the shape better. Comparing it to slardar's gradient especially, slardars bright highlights are soooo much brighter. You could use those highlights to do cool things with it too, like glowing eyes etc.

And vlad might have intended to post a different jugger mask, it does look somewhat familiar.
  • alexxrafael
    I'll have a tutorial explaining that process soon. :)

I'm waiting for it :) You liked? I'm working in some taunts too.
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe he meant Sukkuto's mask? I don't know. No matter how similar items can be in general design, the fine details and work gone into it can separate them.
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    IzcTfct.jpg

Link Workshop

if may i give a suggestion, it looks lacking some values contrast

here, i desaturated and checked the levels. that is not a rule to see the values, but it helps

5alDn.jpg
    your should have more contrast on the black and white version, that helps it being easily readable

one workflow that i like a lot is painting just in black and white, focusing just on the value, and adding the colors after
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Uliss I would also suggest changing the angle of the horns if you're concerned with the helmet looking too much like the Skyrim one.

Finished my Disruptor Beard
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191947012&searchtext=
    disruptor_beard_thumb.jpg

i lie the idea, but it looks a little low res, could be the uv placements or the lack of mirroring. Could you post your uvs and the texture? maybe i can help you on that =]

cheers
  • Tvidotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    mshadows wrote: »
    Tvidotto
    Can u create some WD's sets or items. It could be great to see new WD's items. Thx :poly121:
    Oroboros wrote: »
    The idea is awesome TviDotto, like others have mentioned though I wonder if changing the stance altogether might result in confusion. If this works though it could definitely inspire people to experiment with new weapon types for heroes. That would be really cool.

Im busy creating WD items right now ... Let T_vidotto do his job of being awesome ! :D

btw, the PA reaper is a superb idea, but i think its a but too far into silhouette change. As a dota 2 player, i doubt that i would recognize "that hero" if i suddenly saw her in the game.

EDIT: Is the technical requirements page malfunctioning for you guys too ? there are no names for heroes and their pages are in-accessible. Can anyone confirm ?
    qassamzed wrote: »
    awesome
    @.@ next level phantom assassin and also remind me with anuxi set style

not fan of her head coz she looks too pretty for a badaas scythe assassin

hope she has custom awesome attack animation when she proc the 1000 dmg crit

K-PAX wrote: »
    I really love the headpiece~ amazing

huge thanks for the comments guys, sorry for not posting earlier. was working like hell here

going to look for some energy drink sponsor =]

about the sillouette you guys are right, it breaks a little, i toyed to keep the animations consistent with the character to reduce that diference

i also made some changes on the hair, now its blacker (some guys suggested that too) and i also got a feedback on the cape, remade it to match more the silhouette of the default one

the scythe is brighter too, was too dark before

now with the darker hair and bright weapon i think it have a better reading.
    the hair black was worried me to lose the attention but the feathers and the small mask does a good job with contrasting them

about the animations, i had some hard time matching the idles and runs, a suggest to the other guys looking for animation.

i had a problem with the instances of the character, the running version was leaning forward and the idle more to the back to accommodate the scythe weight. that caused some problems with the blending between the idles and the runs.

in my tests i think that is much better if you keep the head on the same place and sacrifice the feet movement, they are moving all the time so its not a big problem, but a big movement on the head i really noticeable

here is a video with the final version, (its full hd so try to avoid this small window =])

[ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKW_zSozW4"]pa set[/ame]

no critical strikes this time
    forgot to get the lvl6 first
  • ultimatec
    Thanks for all suggestions!, helps a lot ^^
  • hex_hex
    I51wVOA.png

my friend just sent me this concept for es ward :D
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    2VVxXLJ.png

Huskar spear. I was hoping that I can add particles (I'll add some scorch marks to the texture if I can). Can anyone tell me how to add particles.

Comments?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure if you guys know about SweetFX, but it's a graphical mod that you can pretty much use on any DirectX 9, 10 or 11 application, and it does some nifty stuff. I used it on Guild Wars 2 before, but never thought about trying it out on Dota 2, and it looks really good with a nice config, perfect for workshop screenshots.

I made a custom config kinda mixing a bit of these two, while trying to make the game look sharp, though not over-saturated with weird colors. Here are some comparison shots:

RWK89n9.png

Q6uxhOG.png

BrH57Wi.jpg

Ignore any weapon clipping and stuff like that.

I made it in a couple of minutes, so there's definitely room for improvement. I also changed some stuff like antialiasing after taking those shots, so it's looking even better now in-game.

If anyone wants to try it out, you can download SweetFX here and grab my preset here. You can either copy all of my preset and paste it into SweetFX_settings.txt, or make a new TXT file inside /SweetFX/Presets and then direct SweetFX to it through SweetFX_preset.txt.

It's pretty easy to install, here's a quick rundown from SweetFX's Game_compatibility.txt file included on the ZIP:
    ** DOTA 2 beta** 
    (installs like most Source games)

Install SweetFX to
    \Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\

but put d3d9.dll and injector.ini in
    \Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\bin

For source games dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx are not needed as it's a DirectX9 engine so you can delete them if you want or leave them be - it doesn't matter.

Just remember to disable Anti Aliasing in-game, otherwise it won't work. I also had problems getting it to work on Borderless Window, so Fullscreen is the way to go.

An extra tip on getting super crisp screenshots is to use downsampling to get a better resolution and image quality on your screen. Here's a guide from NeoGAF for nVidia. There's also a way to do it on AMD cards, which is linked on that thread, but it involves using some third-party software, so I haven't really bothered with it.
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Not sure if you guys know about SweetFX, but it's a graphical mod that you can pretty much use on any DirectX 9, 10 or 11 application, and it does some nifty stuff. I used it on Guild Wars 2 before, but never thought about trying it out on Dota 2, and it looks really good with a nice config, perfect for workshop screenshots.

I made it in a couple of minutes, so there's definitely room for improvement. I also changed some stuff like antialiasing after taking those shots, so it's looking even better now in-game.

If anyone wants to try it out, you can download SweetFX here and grab my preset here. You can either copy all of my preset and paste it into SweetFX_settings.txt, or make a new TXT file inside /SweetFX/Presets and then direct SweetFX to it through SweetFX_preset.txt.

It's pretty easy to install, here's a quick rundown from SweetFX's Game_compatibility.txt file included on the ZIP:
    ** DOTA 2 beta** 
    (installs like most Source games)

Install SweetFX to
    \Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\

but put d3d9.dll and injector.ini in
    \Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\bin

For source games dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx are not needed as it's a DirectX9 engine so you can delete them if you want or leave them be - it doesn't matter.

Just remember to disable Anti Aliasing in-game, otherwise it won't work. I also had problems getting it to work on Borderless Window, so Fullscreen is the way to go.

Are we allowed to use 3rd party applications in dota 2? I thought valve bans you for a month by using a 3rd party application. I'm not sure the details though but I think it came in with the new armory/inventory patch.

Also, since you are using an enhancer to the client, wouldn't be inaccurate to the actual client?
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    Are we allowed to use 3rd party applications in dota 2? I thought valve bans you for a month by using a 3rd party application. I'm not sure the details though but I think it came in with the new armory/inventory patch.

Also, since you are using an enhancer to the client, wouldn't be inaccurate to the actual client?

Copypasting my reply on the other thread:
    Thanks for the info.

SweetFX exists for a long time and the only time that I heard of problems with it was with Planetside 2 for whatever reason. And SOE explicitly stated that no external tools were allowed. Meanwhile ArenaNet also explicitly said that it was allowed on Guild Wars 2, since it's just a graphical modification. SweetFX isn't malicious itself, so VAC shouldn't give a false positive, since it doesn't mess with the game's memory or files, it's just a "hook" that pretty much only changes colors.

Anyway, I always do some research before using SweetFX on games with some form of anti-cheat, and while searching for VAC's relation with SweetFX I found this thread and also a post on Reddit about using it on CSGO here. I also asked around /r/Dota2 and some people said that they use it for over a year without issues.

All in all, it's pretty much a use it at your own risk. While it isn't a cheat and I don't think it can be detected as one, you can't tell for sure without Valve's explicit statement, unless you consider that post that I've linked above. So you can either just use it on your local servers when taking promo screenshots to be safe and then turn it off when playing Matchmaking if you don't trust it, or just don't use it at all. In the end it's up to you.

Also, what do you mean about being "inaccurate"?
  • HntrLuc
    Offline / Send Message
    HntrLuc polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for sharing belkun! I haven't tried out SweetFX, but I've been meaning to check out down-sampling for a while and that link was perfect!

BS weapon is looking cool btw, looking forward to seeing the final product with Andrew's animations!
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my progress on something I meant to work on for a while. Concept is by Hawf.

08IFDF5.jpg

Another day of sculpting to go.

Please crit as much as you can, I would highly appreciate it.
  • hex_hex
    guys i saved my document in zbrush(i dont know for what :[) and now my screentshot is just stayin like that(screenshot right, active mesh left) can you help me? how to delete the ritgh "thing"vTbMumL.png
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun wrote: »
    Copypasting my reply on the other thread:

Also, what do you mean about being "inaccurate"?

It basically gives a false impression of the items, sure you can use it in actual gameplay but when giving it as a preview, others would look at it in their client and see the differences between the two.

On another note, my textures glow from a weird angle and I'm wondering how to fix it. Is it the rimlight? I don't really understand how it affects the mesh, all I know is that it is suppose to define edges so its easier to see against the background.

KM048gi.png
  • belkun
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    It basically gives a false impression of the items, sure you can use it in actual gameplay but when giving it as a preview, others would look at it in their client and see the differences between the two.

Well, if you follow that thought then not everyone is going to see the item on its best form, since I believe a major percentage of the player base runs the game on low settings.

Still, it's pretty common to see people editing some stuff a bit to give some sort of an "edge" and make things more appealing. And since one of the main goals of the Workshop is to make people notice your item, I think it's fair to add some eye-candy on the screenshots to catch the attention of users. It's not like you're changing a lot either, it's just some saturation, sharpness and stuff that you can get anywhere easily just by adjusting your monitor or your graphics card options, but SweetFX just makes it so you don't have to keep changing settings every time you exit the game, with the image being enhanced only when your in-game and not when you're using your computer. It's a nice way to push up some colors and add some definition to your screenshots, without having to mess too much with Photoshop, and the bonus is that you can actually play like that.

Anyway, I made that config with this in mind. I tried to add a bit of sharpness and push up the colors only a bit, while still staying true to Dota's style and not making it overly-cartoony with exaggerated colors. You can freely customize the preset if you think it's too much, or even if you think it's too little.
  • MurathIII
    Offline / Send Message
    MurathIII polycounter lvl 5
    hex_hex wrote: »
    guys i saved my document in zbrush(i dont know for what :[) and now my screentshot is just stayin like that(screenshot right, active mesh left) can you help me? how to delete the ritgh "thing"

Hi, go to menu(Layer) and press the (clear) button, I think the problem is solved :D
  • Goeddy
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth

On another note, my textures glow from a weird angle and I'm wondering how to fix it. Is it the rimlight? I don't really understand how it affects the mesh, all I know is that it is suppose to define edges so its easier to see against the background.

KM048gi.png

mhm its kinda hard to see what you mean, only thing i can see is that his spear glows a bit red on the one shot, but to say how to fix your problem i think you need to post some more shots. or paint over the shots where exactly the problem area is.

also:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=192728869
    tumblr_mvvcn7t3Re1sljkhxo2_1280.jpg
  • balsagoth2
    How come the default model for tusks arm contains 661 triangles when the limit is 350?
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it me or clicking on "Most Recent" in workshop misses some people entries. It never did show Don Don's items and recently never shown me Tvi's set. I just see their items only in "Most Popular". Anyone getting this?
  • balsagoth
    Why does the default model of tusks arm contain 661 triangles when the workshop maximum is 350?
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Is it me or clicking on "Most Recent" in workshop misses some people entries. It never did show Don Don's items and recently never shown me Tvi's set. I just see their items only in "Most Popular". Anyone getting this?

Tvi's sets were posted on 5 Nov @ 11:21am. So it's there you just need to browse back a little further since it's been up for about 3 days... but hidden would be my guess? Haven't checked for Don but I would assume the same thing applies.
    balsagoth wrote: »
    Why does the default model of tusks arm contain 661 triangles when the workshop maximum is 350?

Apparently Valve breaks their own polycount now and then. That doesn't go for us though, we need to stick to the rules.
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    balsagoth wrote: »

VALVE DON'T FOLLOW NO RULES!
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Valve doesn't give a shit about filthy rules! Their own warlock golem is also over 52 bones!
  • Uliss
    Polygonal limits (tris limits) must not be calculated on valve files. When u opening some files they are containing LOD 0. There are some pieces (like Juggs brasers, 200 for 2arms), which could have bigger limits imo. U must think about limits while u designing in most cases.
  • Insaneophobia
    Offline / Send Message
    Insaneophobia polycounter lvl 5
    Or Disruptors shoulder... 250 tris for a shoulder? Cmon...
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    @Tvidotto: Hmmm I see what you mean but the beard is indeed mirrored. I'm sure I have a bit of wasted space in my UVs but nothing horrible.beard_color.tga
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    axl_04.jpg
    okay enough on him for today
  • Vayne4800
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished sculpt. Critical hits! PLEASE!

NaUWmjC.jpg
  • cagdasx44
    Vayne4800 wrote: »
    Almost finished sculpt. Critical hits! PLEASE!

I am not sure about horns but rest is great
  • GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    @Vayne The horns look strange. Try having smoother horns if you really want them.

Nevermind about the weird glow, I redid the texture since I noticed my UVs were bad...
    Here's my new spear ... Comments please?
    [IMG][/img]aHih8gA.png
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Ok, I dread critting people. But here goes. Remember this is just my humble opinion and stuff. No offense meant.

@Ghostdetector - I think that your spear lacks a defining silhouette. It doesn't read very well in game. Perhaps exaggerating some of the shapes would help.

@Vayne4800 - Like overall feel and shapes the helm but the flow of the horns is really not working for me. It looks a little unnatural Is the concept yours? And if it isn't have you got a side view of it? I feel as if you might be reading the foreshortening differently then the concept artist intended. I like the ridges at the beginning of the horns, but it's too much near the tips. I feel like the eyes could you a little more definition and I would personally make those wood cracks a little bigger so they come out better in game and follow them through all the way on the top/edge too just like you see when looking at real wood. Really curious what this will look like when it's done, there's definitely potential!
  • Mr. Toodles
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr. Toodles polycounter lvl 11
    heres a courier im working on :Dthewolf_zps58514660.jpg
  • motenai
    Offline / Send Message
    motenai polycounter lvl 18
    work in progress of this new set.
    Just finished the zbrush phase.
    BH_wip1.jpg
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Thanks for the comments guys :)
    @neox: Love them!

Made a new animation for the boar, here it is! (crosspost from http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127454)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anFpqMydpA8"]boar@death WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tyn
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    @motenai: That wrist mounted blade... I love it! That and the boomerang :) The rest of the set is pretty stellar too. I really need to learn to sculpt like that.

@fonfa: That's adorable and a little sad, melts my heart.

I forgot what I initially wanted to ask. That axe blade I submitted is doing a lot better than I had anticipated. However I didn't upload any promo to go with it though. Is this something I ought to fix?
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    motenai wrote: »
    work in progress of this new set.
    Just finished the zbrush phase.
    BH_wip1.jpg

Awesome!

I attempted to do a hood like that for Bounty before but found his posture really weird to sculpt around. You did a great job of it.

If that arm blade works like it's supposed to it'll be amazing!
  • Shock
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    since i was a littlebit bored today and had no project to work on i decided to create a treasure chest for fun :) hope u like it - the key will follow in some days :)

chest%20Kopie%20v10.jpg