Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Robot Pilot Dude! - Portfolio piece.

Hey Polycounters.

Here’s my current portfolio project.

So this dude is supposed to be a robot pilot, just stepping out of his robot machinery cockpit. That’s why he’s wearing all that metal/mechanical stuff. I’m probably going to compose a little scene too, nothing big, with the guy standing on top of or near parts of the robot.

I’m almost finished with my sculpt before going to retopo and baking and all that jazz.

I’m starting to stare myself blind now so critique is very welcome. Especially his generic-face-problem.

Cheers!

Pw3HiQW.jpg

1PJO0DO.jpg

W5Ni5lC.jpg

oTrM8e6.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Looks great!

Why is he missing a leg? Even if you plan to do a unique sculpt for each leg, mirror the other one for now at least, just to help judge proportions.

Face is rather generic. Are you using reference?
  • skyline5gtr
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    The mechanism on his left hand is bothering me, it doesn't have any way its clamped down, because the metal is rigid i think it would just slide off. Maybe have it as part of the sleeve ?
  • Tadao215
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    His eyes are looking really big to me
  • Larkbeef
    Many thanks for taking the time!

@Eric Chadwick: I did the base meshes in Max and then just deleted them before sculpting. I'm planning on mirroring the legs later on. But I should clone and mirror them in Zbrush just to see what it looks like.

I'm not using any real reference for the face, just random pictures, like a the parts of the face only.

@skyline5gtr: I'll sort that out. Maybe make the metal go through the fabric on the sides.

@Tadao215: I think you're on to something there. I'll check more references and measurements.
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    the suit looks good, the face however isn't working for me. I agree with Eric Chadwick, it looks generic and the eyes do look a little big.
  • Larkbeef
    Here's the updates I've managed:

Added some straps to his right arm, to hold the mechanical stuff in place.

Also moved around his facial features slightly, hopefully not as blank as before.

Otherwise I'm itching to start doing some basic polypainting and then retopo time.

uBzCqBH.gif

J2OKk2I.jpg

Cheers!
  • Larkbeef
    Progress:

Retopod’ and baked.

I also did me some further learning on UV-mapping before baking (using the excellent Polywiki). What I remember from the top of my head:

When projecting your high poly, distortions in the UV-map are not a major concern. Especially for organic stuff. I’ve seen it, but never really thought about it.
    Instead of spending 300 hours trying to get perfect squares, I can concentrate on the distribution and priority of the parts instead.

Try to straighten those banana curves to save some UV-space.
    Aligning pieces straight horizontally/vertically might give better results when mipmapping (Like lines or high frequency patterns mainly.).
    And of course, have decent padding between pieces to avoid mipmapping issues.

The more you know!

I also purchased Ddo yesterday, before starting texture work. Been trying it out some, no satisfying results yet, but lots of fun.

gU8oVxD.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    I think I'm done for now!

Took way too long to complete.
    Not much more to say than that I should have done some things differently of course. Next model will be faster, better and stronger.

On to the next then. :D

Cheers

xAG60hK.jpg

yMsxuXV.jpg

6FvbeXS.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Hallo

I've decided to remake a model I made a while back, it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.

So I did three rudimentary paintovers (dat 2D skill), with the third having some stuff I liked from the previous two. I’m gonna go cyberpunk mode. Hooray for that.

First though, I have to remake the body and hopefully, as a consequence get a way better base mesh for other projects. Right now it’s a bumpy mess because of absurd topology and seams. After that, retopologize.

Is the anatomy totally wack?

Crits and suggestions super welcome!

vP2Ywes.jpg
    eGi8WF3.jpg
    NY8e5FY.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Making some progress! Best part, I'm watching/listening to late 80´s early 90's cyber punk anime during.

I imagine this is going to turn out in some very bright neon colors come texturing.

xkdMBKb.jpg

1Dbbbjw.jpg
  • Yilativ
    WOW dude, awesome work
  • Larkbeef
    Sculpt almost done then. I'm itching to try out some colors and material!

DwYIoBF.jpg

mmUXHyJ.jpg

qpOa1jw.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    Considering it done.

20k tris(excluding all the arrows), I’m not sure where I hid them all though.

As for design and colors, I've been struggling forever. I couldn't decide between 80’s "chrome n’ neon" or a more contemporary Sci-Fi feels.

Ended up somewhere in between I think.

Also bow wielding doesn't really scream CYBERPUNK to me but I liked the silhouette with quivers too much and what the heck, let’s get a bit neo primal.

MTVVYea.jpg

7SE9Op1.jpg

lXMMr09.jpg
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Keep up the great work! On top of the wonderful sculpting the designs are interesting as well. These deserve a V-ray render.
  • Larkbeef
    Thanks Looprix :)

I should try some V-ray rendering, I just never get around to that it seems.
  • Larkbeef
    Meanwhile, another upload!

This, steampunkish, occultist, professor, -gentleman here is what I'm occupied with at the moment. I wanted to play around with opacity, so this design happened. Glass hand punch, very effective.

I'm done with the sculpt for now and I'm going to start with the texture. After seeing the excellent Blubber Busters' characters, I'm gunning for a hand painted texture.

Such inspiring, many paints, wow.

5kBgWkN.jpg

NIpvlkc.jpg

wRThazf.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    First project completed for 2014 - Started waaay back in the year of 2013.

Also squeezed in a small environment thingy in between.

A bit less painterly than I hoped. Think I’m going for a handpainted weapon or something of the sort next!

Cheers!

6LVPdlb.jpg

X621cjA.jpg

XtSbVIF.jpg

djO9aL5.jpg

CA4QVXP.jpg
  • Larkbeef
    First try at hand painting some WoW-esque weapons. I don't really know what to improve on. A bit stuck.

Maybe the materials on the sword needs to decide on what they are, cause right now I wouldn't be sure on what it's trying to be.

UwPjpTq.jpg
  • revanger94
  • Larkbeef