Home Technical Talk

3DS Max 2013 Grid Align

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Synaesthesia polycounter
Hi guys. At work, I use a program called Creator (by Presagis) which is heavily dependent upon grids for creating geometry. It's similar to the early days of Max (I've been using it since 4.2) except that it's substantially less functional. It does shine in many areas, like the grid tools.

I'm trying to get functionality from Creator in Max - Creator has the ability to snap faces, edges, verts, etc to the grid in any direction without distorting the geometry. For example, if I have a grid angled at 45 degrees and I want the top of a box to match the 45 degree plane, I can grab the verts in Creator and click the plant tool, which matches the verts to the grid as though the XY axis were locked. No manual movement needed on my part. If I try the same thing in Max, it seems substantially more complicated. If I try to grid align, Max will distort the top of the box so that it's at a 45 degree angle (matching the grid) but it moves in XY, so it's turned into an oddly misshapen box.

I've tried 2D snap, 2.5D, 3D, and none of it will snap the verts to the grid exactly at the grid's plane - unless I've manually moved the verts of the box to match up with the grid points on X and Y. Is there something I'm overlooking, or does this antiquated software actually have a leg up on Max when it comes to grids?

Replies

• peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Im not too sure if am right, but in Max i would use the numeric input x, y, z (below the viewport in middle) with the move/rotate gizmo.

If im wrong comeback here and we'll figure it out.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm not quite sure what you mean. I use the translation input often, but how would that plant verts to the grid? The same issue happens with face snapping, actually. If you snap verts with X and Y locked, you won't be able to snap directly onto the point of the face that sits below the verts. If you follow the face normals across its surface, you'll see the vert shift on the Z axis as you move.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can you post an image of what your trying to do ? im more visual. I know you want to align verts but it should help me see your trouble.

I know 2 or 3 ways to do it, if i followed you correctly.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I use the translation input often, but how would that plant verts to the grid?

1) Select verts

2) transformation gizmo "on"

3) if its a Z up world, enter "0" in Z input ie: (x,y,z)
    (the grid should be a zero in most cases).
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I can't post it from work because our computers are not Internet-accessible, so I had to wait until I got home. Here's the problem:

grid.jpg

The left side is distorted because Max apparently changes the orientation of the world pivot to match the grid. I've tried zeroing out the rotation of the grid pivot, but that doesn't do anything for me. I can't imagine that Max is incapable of planting verts to a grid while simultaneously moving them only up or down.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you asking to model directly on a object ? hence align with it ?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Yes and no. I've aligned my grid to the plane underneath the box because I'd like to replicate Creator's functionality in Max. In Creator, I can press F and click on any face. It will create a grid that matches the normals of the face, similar to using autogrid. I can create a grid with autogrid by holding alt as I create an object like that box, so if I want a chimney on a building I could get the result I want by just creating the object via autogrid and moving the verts on top to match the XY coordinates of the bottom verts.

This, of course, means I can't move the mesh from its current position without pushing it into the geometry or making it float over it, wihch necessitates the plant feature I'm trying to figure out. ;-)
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have a look at the "AutoGrid" option

auto_G.jpg
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    See my post above yours. ;-)

I've used autogrid before, but it won't let you plant verts. By the way, thanks for taking your time to try and help. Maybe we'll figure out how to get this running. If I can do it without needing to buy miauu's script pack, that would be lovely.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gosh, we posted at the same exact time, a few seconds apart.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you looked the options in "Editable poly"

align.jpg
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    AFAIK, make planar simply averages a face and makes it planar. It's not the same as actually having verts sit on top of another face without manually placing them there yourself.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm still not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but have you tried using the grid helper objects?

They are custom grids that you can move and rotate around in your scene and then activate to override the home grid.
    Anything you draw on it will be aligned to that grid.

3dsmax%20Custom%20Grid%20Object08.jpg
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, when you think your helping someone and someone else comes in and helps you. Congrats Mark, im saving this image to my workflow folder.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm still not sure I understand what you're trying to do, but have you tried using the grid helper objects?

Yep, I've used them for quite a while now. I'll try explaining it a bit better. It's difficult for me to detail exactly how Creator does this.

Let's say that I have a basic house model. The roof slopes upward, like this:

box.jpg

Instead of using AutoGrid to create a chimney on top of the roof, I want to create a chimney aligned to the world grid. There's no rotation or modifying necessary, just the box on top of the roof, like so:

box1.jpg

In Max, using grid align on the bottom verts gives me this:

box2.jpg

In Creator, the "grid align" analogue is the plant tool. It will take any vert, face, or edge and only move it to match the grid on the Z axis. This is what Creator would give me:

box3.jpg

While I could just create the chimney with AutoGrid and move the verts so that it's perpendicular, I'd prefer to plant the verts to the grid without the verts moving in the X or Y axis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh ok I get what you're trying to do.

No I don't think there is a way to do that out of the box in max,2D snaps in the left or front viewport COULD work but would take a lot of setup and its easier to handle it another way.

There are a few different ways people would approach that in max.

Model the chimney off of the roof, such as create a plane that is aligned to the roof and then extruded upward on the Z axis.

Or someone might drop a edit poly on top of their stack, add in a few edges to define the base of the chimney and extrude a quad off of the surface of the roof to create the chimney. Then detach it and then delete edit poly to revert the roof back the way it was.

Someone might also set the chimney down into the roof so it penetrates and use the roof to boolean the chimney. Cutting it at the exact angle of the chimney.

I can see it being really helpful to join two models in that way and there might be some scripts out there that do it. This is the closest I could find in my 2min of searching, it may or may not do the trick, or there could be something better.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/geometry-projection?ref=nf