Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceriux polycounter lvl 10
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    ceriux, maps and wireframe?
    also final tri count?

the final tri count was 59, 256x256 bmp just a diffuse.

wipmedkit3.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Nearly finished the Hallway and made the last door! I *think* that's all the animation done now.

Hallway_zps3c6758a1.png

and animation

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9PzcVHCVs"]Doors - YouTube[/ame]
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rad, getting a megaman legends vibe
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work safer I like the lighting also.
  • some3dguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan, I really like where this is going, been following your work in this thread.
    I feel that some of the animations are sliiiightly too long (i.e. the elevator platform in your previous video), but otherwise this is ace. Like the color combinations and style a lot as it refreshingly stands out from the usual worn-paint-and-steel-normal-map look of sci-fi stuff.
    Keep it up!
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    The door should open up faster, I think you're waisting to much time by standing in front of it. If you're planning to do a game, this would be one of the big crits by players, I think.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, the common door you experience 30 times throughout a game should be fast.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rad, getting a megaman legends vibe

Ha I looked up Mega man Legends and I totally see what you mean! Some of the bosses look super fun!
    some3dguy wrote: »
    SaferDan, I really like where this is going, been following your work in this thread.
    I feel that some of the animations are sliiiightly too long (i.e. the elevator platform in your previous video), but otherwise this is ace. Like the color combinations and style a lot as it refreshingly stands out from the usual worn-paint-and-steel-normal-map look of sci-fi stuff.
    Keep it up!

You know the opinion on the colors changes from person to person! I am glad to find someone else who likes them! Thanks!

Thanks everyone! Yeah I agree I need to tighten/speed up the animations! I will get on that! Cheers guys.
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    SaboR1996 wrote: »
    anyone got any tips in low quality texture (and Unwrapping) for steampunk styled objects, trying to create a low poly game based of a story idea i had for college? all of these are awesome!

Congratulation, I like the nice texture painting, and cartoon feeling in both pose and modeling. Did you use a dedicated software for the texturing part, like 3d Coat, or else?

Btw, he seems very peaceful and relaxed for a guy about to use his hammer :D
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n wrote: »
    Posted this in my own thread but thought I'd drop it here for any additional input.

1150tris
    512* Body
    256* Head

driver_02hi.jpg
    driver_diffuse.jpg

Looks pretty awesome man! Some of the better texture work I've seen.
    Can we please get a render without the DoF effects and a more consistent lighting solution? It's nice presentation idea, but I feel you really loose a lot about what makes the model and the texture awesome with the effect. For example all the effort you put into the his hair, pants, gloves, hammar, and shoes are really is all but lost at least a little to the effect; which is not all you have but still a sizable portion of it. It looks like your hair is much, muuuch darker in your render than the texture as well as well. I'd recommend render with 100% Self Illuminate materials, since you painted the lighting in (if you rendered in Real Time lighting.

I have a few critiques, if minor at best. First, based on the body texture, it looks like the model is being lite from above with it leaning to the front of it. However, your hair looks as though it is constantly being ambiently lite based on the texture. A very harsh highlight could have actually helped there to also really sell the lighting you have going overall. Plus I think a bit more darkening toward the bottom and back of the hair would add to this effect. Even a small drop shadow under where the hair meets the neck would have helped too. Same with the back of the collar, the patch, and the interior of the glove- just a minor drop would add just so much. Lastly, this guy's ear. This guy feels like he is lacking a Targus (the numb that covers the ear hole/auditory canal). I can understand if it's based off a likeness and not as pronounced on said person or a stylistic choice, but it is something to think about.

Keep it up man, when it's this hard to find stuff wrong and have to knit-pick you're doing something right.
  • ssgibson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to share a low poly character I just finished, but still open to any critiques :)

luyurecompd.jpg

and the wireframe:

luyuwire.jpg
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ssgibson wrote: »
    Just wanted to share a low poly character I just finished, but still open to any critiques :)

First, her face. I get you're trying to emulate the heavy lineart inspired artwork as in your reference, but if you are going to add such hard black lines (recommend just a dark purple instead of black btw) make sure to carry that throughout your entire piece. For example, her little pancho thing has several opportunities for such dark lines in the pattern boarders, and her leggings could have some nice crisp line for stitching.
    I'd take the time and polys and actually make her nose. Or at the very least define it the same way you did with your mouth and eyes with the lines.
    Also, you missed the shadow the side of her nose makes (like in your concept). That and some more definition could really help her face not be so flat. Could also probably get away with putting the head on it's own texture sheet; unless of course you have to keep it on one sheet.

Overall, your painting is very muddy in areas, which works some as she looks like she gets dirty. However, you really lack definition in the general shadows and highlights of her texture for the to look like a positive thing; makes you look like you took a custom PS brush and stamped it everywhere. Give her some nice sharp areas of color! You have some areas of okay contrast, like under her head band and scarf, but again is carried through the entire piece making it look dull. You can really see the lack of good contrast in her hair, blending it too well. Add more lights and darks. I think the biggest thing wrong here is you went pretty middle of the road color wise. Which leads me to this:
    VERY UP YOUR COLOR PALLET!!!

I understand her concept is like all brown, but this could really use some nice oranges and reds (as tan hid retains even in the most worn of it). Maybe add some nice green stains on her knees, since she's probably got some grass stains from playing in the wilderness at some point. You could even add things like pink and maybe since nice random colors like blue/purple/ect in both her clothing and face. This also can let you get some really nice interesting highlights and shadows (how about that shit).
    You have a good start model wise (based on what you've posted anyway) and it just needs more working to make it really pop.
    Keep working on it!
  • ssgibson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amtyk wrote: »
    First, her face. I get you're trying to emulate the heavy lineart inspired artwork as in your reference, but if you are going to add such hard black lines (recommend just a dark purple instead of black btw) make sure to carry that throughout your entire piece. For example, her little pancho thing has several opportunities for such dark lines in the pattern boarders, and her leggings could have some nice crisp line for stitching.
    I'd take the time and polys and actually make her nose. Or at the very least define it the same way you did with your mouth and eyes with the lines.
    Also, you missed the shadow the side of her nose makes (like in your concept). That and some more definition could really help her face not be so flat. Could also probably get away with putting the head on it's own texture sheet; unless of course you have to keep it on one sheet.

Overall, your painting is very muddy in areas, which works some as she looks like she gets dirty. However, you really lack definition in the general shadows and highlights of her texture for the to look like a positive thing; makes you look like you took a custom PS brush and stamped it everywhere. Give her some nice sharp areas of color! You have some areas of okay contrast, like under her head band and scarf, but again is carried through the entire piece making it look dull. You can really see the lack of good contrast in her hair, blending it too well. Add more lights and darks. I think the biggest thing wrong here is you went pretty middle of the road color wise. Which leads me to this:
    VERY UP YOUR COLOR PALLET!!!

I understand her concept is like all brown, but this could really use some nice oranges and reds (as tan hid retains even in the most worn of it). Maybe add some nice green stains on her knees, since she's probably got some grass stains from playing in the wilderness at some point. You could even add things like pink and maybe since nice random colors like blue/purple/ect in both her clothing and face. This also can let you get some really nice interesting highlights and shadows (how about that shit).
    You have a good start model wise (based on what you've posted anyway) and it just needs more working to make it really pop.
    Keep working on it!

Thanks, some good things to consider. :)
  • Dill-n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    Looks pretty awesome man! Some of the better texture work I've seen.
    Can we please get a render without the DoF effects and a more consistent lighting solution? It's nice presentation idea, but I feel you really loose a lot about what makes the model and the texture awesome with the effect. For example all the effort you put into the his hair, pants, gloves, hammar, and shoes are really is all but lost at least a little to the effect; which is not all you have but still a sizable portion of it. It looks like your hair is much, muuuch darker in your render than the texture as well as well. I'd recommend render with 100% Self Illuminate materials, since you painted the lighting in (if you rendered in Real Time lighting.

I have a few critiques, if minor at best. First, based on the body texture, it looks like the model is being lite from above with it leaning to the front of it. However, your hair looks as though it is constantly being ambiently lite based on the texture. A very harsh highlight could have actually helped there to also really sell the lighting you have going overall. Plus I think a bit more darkening toward the bottom and back of the hair would add to this effect. Even a small drop shadow under where the hair meets the neck would have helped too. Same with the back of the collar, the patch, and the interior of the glove- just a minor drop would add just so much. Lastly, this guy's ear. This guy feels like he is lacking a Targus (the numb that covers the ear hole/auditory canal). I can understand if it's based off a likeness and not as pronounced on said person or a stylistic choice, but it is something to think about.

Keep it up man, when it's this hard to find stuff wrong and have to knit-pick you're doing something right.

Amtyk, thanks so much for your feedback. A couple of the things you mentioned I wasn't really thinking about while workin on this. I did also have a thread for this piece with more photos, I just didn't want to clutter the forum with the same stuff. Maybe I should have added a link to it in my original post, oh well here it is now.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1818330#post1818330

Anyway, thanks again for the input. I'm all for Knit-picking, only way to get better:)
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ssgibson wrote: »
    Thanks, some good things to consider. :)
    Dill-n wrote: »
    Amtyk, thanks so much for your feedback. A couple of the things you mentioned I wasn't really thinking about while workin on this. I did also have a thread for this piece with more photos, I just didn't want to clutter the forum with the same stuff. Maybe I should have added a link to it in my original post, oh well here it is now.

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1818330#post1818330

Anyway, thanks again for the input. I'm all for Knit-picking, only way to get better:)

No problem.
    I'll definitely take a look at the thread.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    ssgibson: Cute character! I just have a couple notes to help make her more readable. Seeing as she is a mobile game character (if I'm remembering correctly from the thread), the fray on the chaps and sticks in her hair are much too small. Basically, what makes her interesting isn't readable. From a distance she just has a basic humanoid form. For the frays I reduced their number and increased their size. The inside of the leg was a bit too cluttered after that, so I moved them to the outside (the ref I saw mostly had the frays on the outside anyway). I also increased the size of the twigs. Those especially were non-existent being small brown twigs on top of brown hair. I think playing with more hues as Amtyk pointed out would help too.

ssgibson_po_zpsa1d5ac93.jpg

Hope that's helpful!
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the ESCAPE Contest:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1824115

Axe Prop
    arttestpreview01.jpg

arttestdiff.png

Texture for this prop is 128x128.
    226 tris in total.

mcwip01.jpg

1104 tris total for character model.
  • BucketOfNuggets
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BucketOfNuggets polycounter lvl 6
    It looks awesome, but the stump looks a little muddy to me.
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks awesome, but the stump looks a little muddy to me.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I've been getting that a lot about my texture work. I'm only really using default brushs and export settings in 3D Coat. They look way, way better in coat than they really ever do in image formats. Maybe I'm just not doing something right in the application. I do know I blend a lot using Shift to make it fall to the background. Probably should stop doing that so much.

Though I've only been painting in 3D applications for like the entirety of this semester and the last few weeks of the one before. So maybe it's just my inexperience. I am taking my second traditional painting class in the fall so that should probably help.

Ughhh.... sometimes I wish I felt like I could learn more from Youtube and tutorials like everyone seems over really getting anything from a IRL person or lectures. Feel kind of jipped when I took my college's second Digital Texturing class, thinking we were going to paint in PS and 3D coat the whole time like the class before, but all we did was procedurals. I've been trying to teach myself ever since, but nothing really seems to stick. I try to learn from the internet, but then I only learn how to do that one thing in the tutorial. Maybe I'm just going about learning all wrong right now?
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah I've been getting that a lot about my texture work. I'm only really using default brushs and export settings in 3D Coat. They look way, way better in coat than they really ever do in image formats. Maybe I'm just not doing something right in the application. I do know I blend a lot using Shift to make it fall to the background. Probably should stop doing that so much.

Though I've only been painting in 3D applications for like the entirety of this semester and the last few weeks of the one before. So maybe it's just my inexperience. I am taking my second traditional painting class in the fall so that should probably help.

Ughhh.... sometimes I wish I felt like I could learn more from Youtube and tutorials like everyone seems over really getting anything from a IRL person or lectures. Feel kind of jipped when I took my college's second Digital Texturing class, thinking we were going to paint in PS and 3D coat the whole time like the class before, but all we did was procedurals. I've been trying to teach myself ever since, but nothing really seems to stick. I try to learn from the internet, but then I only learn how to do that one thing in the tutorial. Maybe I'm just going about learning all wrong right now?

It *should* look exactly the same in 3d-Coat as in the final renders.

When it comes to very low-res textures, though, I do find that with 3d painting, you can't quite get the same precise level of pixel pushing as you can simply with Photoshop. Although I do most of my texture work in 3d as well, I tend to do a clean-up pass in Photoshop afterwards, especially if the texture is 256x256 or lower.

Since your texture is very low-res, you may also get a better looking render if you disable texture filtering. That, or play with your filter settings. I find that Catmull-Rom gives the sharpest result for filtering low-res textures.

In the end though, creating sharper textures is really about the quality of your painting. It will improve over time with practice.
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    D'aw she's adorable! The hands might be too dirty; The silhouette could be refined as well.
  • Xaaran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first post on polycount! Yay! :D
    So i've made this - hes a Psycho a suicide bot
    Model Under 700 texture at the moment 2k but in the end will be 512 tops
    edit?usp=sharing
    edit?usp=sharing
  • ashleighmills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone! I've been wanting to join this thread for a while--everything looks so fun. I just finished an art test for a mobile game company where I had to make a low-poly delivery truck.

PJXikjP.png

TEbseqe.png
  • Dill-n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    ashleighmills that looks rad! Only crit would be, depending on your tri limitations you could have mirrored the bumper and roof/ back as they don't have any distinct asymmetrical features. Or, if you were allowed some freedom, add some asymmetrical features. Idk, just thinking out loud here. Looking forward to seeing more of your work :thumbup:
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It *should* look exactly the same in 3d-Coat as in the final renders.

When it comes to very low-res textures, though, I do find that with 3d painting, you can't quite get the same precise level of pixel pushing as you can simply with Photoshop. Although I do most of my texture work in 3d as well, I tend to do a clean-up pass in Photoshop afterwards, especially if the texture is 256x256 or lower.

Since your texture is very low-res, you may also get a better looking render if you disable texture filtering. That, or play with your filter settings. I find that Catmull-Rom gives the sharpest result for filtering low-res textures.

In the end though, creating sharper textures is really about the quality of your painting. It will improve over time with practice.

Mmmm, that's probably why. I've only ever done Photoshop clean up work on very rare occasions. Which is actually kind of funny really, since I like Photoshop painting. Though I know that I'm not very good at digital painting yet, which is really handicapping me at the moment. Kind of wish I had someone in my real life group of friends to teach me stuff instead of having to rely on my own gumption and Youtube.

Do you know where I can find those settings in 3D Coat? I'm not very familiar with the intercity of the program (I pretty much fat finger everything, even switching tools). Also, do you any tips for painting in Photoshop? I find painting UVs in that program probably one of the most annoying things ever. Outside of texture painting I've also tried to improve my speed painting and overall painting skills, but it feels like my skills in the traditional environment never translate well at all to another one.
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Hey everyone! I've been wanting to join this thread for a while--everything looks so fun. I just finished an art test for a mobile game company where I had to make a low-poly delivery truck.

PJXikjP.png

TEbseqe.png

Awesome! Love the style. Colors may be getting a touch too bright, though.
  • Xaaran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is my Psycho!
    A 2 legged suicide bot!

It is 1500 triangles and on the big view has 2k texture.
    Final texture is 512*512

psycho_v2_2_by_kyasanti-d62nylh.png
    psycho_by_kyasanti-d62nz6k.gif

Edit: Aparently google Docs are bad for the image sharing....
  • Moneyhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm always so inspired by this thread! Here is a cross post from our game thread

ZtysVt0.jpg
    more here
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaaran wrote: »
    Here is my Psycho!
    A 2 legged suicide bot!

It is 1500 triangles and on the big view has 2k texture.
    Final texture is 512*512

Edit: Aparently google Docs are bad for the image sharing....

I like the silhouette of the character, feels like a unit for a RTS.
    However, I feel that this character's palette could use some work.
    Color picking this there's only really green and greenish grey.
    I'd love to see this with some more high contrast bright colors and dark colors. Like those green hexagon patterns, just a white and slightly darker tone on them could make look more like glass and really pop. Hell this guy would look just fantastic with some yellow, orange, lime, and maybe even some random tones like purple tones splashed in there!
    You could get away with making the mesh look of some of his armor (head plate) much bigger in proportion or just scrap it all together. If this was for a RTS you'd never notice it and it's just wasted energy. Yes if you could have the leisure to zoom in that close to one guy, great, but it's better to think in more in the "heat of the moment" gameplay oriented views than that of how it looks suuuuuuuuuuppppper close up.

Take a look at brush steal and military grade metals sometime too. I think that adding some stylization to that it could make this even better. Things like harsh edges could help the metal feel more like metal too.
    You don't have a wire frame up currently, but looking at this guy and your tris count you could EASILY get this under 500 tris. Most main characters for Low Poly are under a 1000 tris. Yes you can have a super big, high detail model for like a cinematic, but for a game and this type of enemy it's just over kill. You can save a lot of geometry and texture space by planning out where things can be painted over having to be modeled.

Moneyhorse wrote: »
    I'm always so inspired by this thread! Here is a cross post from our game thread

more here
    I think you're relying too heavily on a normal map for all the detail in your gun.
    You would get a better result by either doing a very aggressive retopo of your gun from your high poly and keeping some of the more notable grooves in there. You can paint in all the details you are currently getting from your norms and not have the extra effort on the engine to load two maps for one item. I mean, you're at the 128x128 level of detail too. You aren't getting much, if any real detail changes for having a normal. Look how pixelated your data becomes. As a item for a game with real time lighting, maybe 512x512 could help some (like with first person view), but here in the low poly arena it's just a waste of time and processing power.

One your diffuse, you see just by looking at the texture how bland it truly is. Just grey and black. Metal is probably on of the hardest things to paint, if not the hardest thing to paint because of how reflective it is and having to find that balance between pre-rendered lighting and the overall paint of the gun. Metal is a very reactive substance to it's environment and having knowledge of that environment will help you in painting it. Remember just because something in your mind's eye is grey and black doesn't mean the entire thing is just restricted to those two tones.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9

PJXikjP.png

This is really great. Was the texture size part of the art test, or was that your choice? I'd love to see this same texture but scaled down x2 or x4 so it was pixellated.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    Do you know where I can find those settings in 3D Coat? I'm not very familiar with the intercity of the program (I pretty much fat finger everything, even switching tools). Also, do you any tips for painting in Photoshop? I find painting UVs in that program probably one of the most annoying things ever. Outside of texture painting I've also tried to improve my speed painting and overall painting skills, but it feels like my skills in the traditional environment never translate well at all to another one.

Not sure if these setting are available in 3d-Coat. I figured you did your final renders in a different application.

Painting UVs in Photoshop can be a pain, mostly because placement. However, if you did a good portion of the painting in 3d-Coat, you already have that part out of the way and you can concentrate on sharpening details without worrying too much.
  • ashleighmills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills polycounter lvl 8
    Thank you guys for the feedback!
    This is really great. Was the texture size part of the art test, or was that your choice? I'd love to see this same texture but scaled down x2 or x4 so it was pixellated.

They didn't give me a specific texture size, so I went on the large side since it's supposed to be the player's truck. I would definitely like to see how it looks smaller though.
  • darkmag07
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkmag07 polycounter lvl 12
    I figured it was about time I posted some of the work I've done over the past year to help out a group of Master's Students working on an endless runner styled game discussing the harassment of female video gamers. Our art was heavily inspired by Animal Crossing. Here are a few of the highlights:

Char1_4.png

Char-Lineup2.png

RPG-Environment-Logo.png

Fighter-Environment-Logo.png

For more screenshots/breakdowns check out my portfolio page: http://www.bendiefenbach.com/portfolio/troll-runner/

If you'd like to play the game visit my team-mate's page. Warning, there is a lot of vulgar audio in the game. Here: http://arcemise.com/sites/all/unity/TrollRunnerFin/
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    An angel statue which I made for a project from a mate of mine, for now I can't reveal any details about it. This model uses normal map but it is still a lowpoly model.

angel_statue.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    its really surprising how high the polycounts are on some of the latest mobile games at one point recently we had more than 100000 triangles on screen and our game still ran ok on ipad and iphone 4s. I may not be able to post most of my mobile stuff in this thread anymore haha
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    yep Ged, in a very near future we will just make ultra low poly models just for fun or as challenge, because even the most crappy devices will manage millions of triangles on screen
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there will still be a practical use for the Low Poly group, even more so that other artists aren't trained as harshly in how low everything is (due to hardware limitations lessen every five minutes). A device might be able to hold millions upon millions of polys on screen, but as games push the tech limitations someone is going to need to be able to keep things looking good and low to let the game run smoothly.
    If there is a device in the future that can run trillions of high poly models at once, yes, we might fall by the way side some; however, as long as the medium is around and we keep putting out quality stuff we will always have a market.
    Basically, low focus might not be the main head out a game as it was in the past, but it is still going be a necessary on some level.
  • Leisure Centaur
    Low poly can live on through good art direction, and avoiding the complete fallacy that is photo realism. Just because there are extra tris to use doesn't mean we need to use them.

Journey is a prime example, look at that lovely gravestone! http://images.gamersyde.com/gallery/public/18453/2307_0005.jpg
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    modeling is an art and anyone who likes low poly art will always buy low poly art products to support the art style, or so i hope. i wish games were still made with low poly assets rather than this stuff today. games with low poly art always felt more fun to me. these new games get boring so fast..
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Low poly will live on just like pixel art does.

And here's a little guy for a mobile platformer I'm working on.

office_guy__running_animation_16x16_by_madgharr-d624kuf.gif
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    What I meant is that nowadays the work offer on lowpoly art is huge, because there are thousands of companies developing games for mobile devices, and with the current devices low poly art is mandatory. In few years these devices will manage millions of polygons on screen, then the low poly art will be a style option and not an obligation, of course will be low poly games always, in the same way that will be pixel art games always, but the job offers on low poly art will be a small fraction of the current ones, and usually most of us will work on models with some kind of current gen specifications (even for mobiles), instead of low poly models.
  • N2ader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N2ader polycounter lvl 4
    Hello I'm new here :D
    I really loved your models guys i decided to start modeling so i made something simple
    Here's my first model a mushroom c:
    iHIuKez.gifvxMXp2u.gif (92 tris) ybMh9Jl.png16x16
    The render killed my texture .__. it supposed to look like this
    yxDTHvV.png
  • zbyszko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbyszko polycounter lvl 7
    Hello another two characters, archer and witch
    characterlow.jpg
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N2ader wrote: »
    Hello I'm new here :D
    I really loved your models guys i decided to start modeling so i made something simple
    Here's my first model a mushroom c:

The render killed my texture .__. it supposed to look like this

Based on your gif, I think it blew out because you were rendering with the default lighting or material. Make sure your material is set to 100% Self Illuminate. Not sure what program you're using, but it should be pretty easy to find.
    Also, wow a 16x16. Mind if I ask why you went so small? You could get better results even with a 64x64 if you are trying to really keep it super low. 16x16 just seems to be a bit excessive in the slashing department. think you'd just make a spirte sheet at that point.

Maybe try a 256x256 to start with. Then maybe try crushing it to a 128x128 and repaint the pixel crushed areas after you think you've a larger canvas down.
    Try looking into "Rendering to Texture" for your application of choice for Light Baking and Ambient Occlusion Baking as well. I wouldn't recommend using them in your texture, being it seems your going for really low stuff, but they can be a good reference point for where to paint.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    ashleighmills: Ooooh, lovely truck!

Made a crabman texture for Slaught's hero thingy SDK.

crabman_zps638fefcf.png
  • ceriux
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @zbyszko i like those characters! good stuff!
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashleighmills - that truck is amazing! Love the style!

Madcarrot - Love that sprite! Makes me want to do some pixel art!

Spacey - nice texture progress!

shameless x-post!

Finished the hallway!

screen-2_zps6b98f8af.png

and I made a thread! It is here!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120008
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey wrote: »
    ashleighmills: Ooooh, lovely truck!

Made a crabman texture for Slaught's hero thingy SDK.

This certainly is one way to take that model. Very interesting.
    I'd love to see some purple, dark sky blue, and a bit more use of that orange I see sprinkled in there. The orange, maybe a bit of pink, and red in the exposed joints would be nice. Pink could also be a reaally nice accent along his pecks to make the super light blue there like a rim light. You could even go bolder with your highlights and have a softer blue highlight then white.
    Though I could understand if your vision for the texture is purely a mono blue palette.
  • N2ader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N2ader polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the tips Amtyk!
    By the way I'm using Blender ^^
  • Amtyk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N2ader wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips Amtyk!
    By the way I'm using Blender ^^

Oh also, don't forget to check out the Low Poly Style Guide.
    Has many 3D app settings specifically for rendering Low Poly.