Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

Replies

• lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's possible to update items that has been accepted into the game? Many of my old items don't have the inverted green channel in the normal map, and i want to make a better shader for most of my models now that i have more knowledge.

edit: Sorry, this was ment to be posted in the Pimping and Previews thread.

after your item has been accepted, you will recive an email from valve saying that its not possible to modify your submission.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero polycounter lvl 11
    I managed to figure out the problem... Apparently, there were no UVs on the mesh... I'm gonna chalk that up to human error (as it's really difficult for me to believe that Maya somehow eliminated my UVs...), and leave you guys with a couple of general tips to prevent this kind of thing from happening to anyone else.

1. Get sleep. Make sure you're well-rested.
    2. When naming files and making folders, label them CLEARLY. So clearly, in fact, that you can recognize them while sleep-deprived or otherwise impaired.
    3. Check the basics. Check them early. Check them often.
  • jbh3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jbh3d polycounter lvl 9
    To add to DashXero's list:

4. If you decide to be clever and alt-tab out of DOTA2 and update your files, when you recompile in engine, change the name of the asset. I've found that if I don't, the compiler doesn't update properly.
  • Clyptic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clyptic polycounter lvl 6
    How is it some people play with their set in game? Other than just previewing it.
  • Mulkyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Currently trying to put my collection together on the Workshop. I'm on this page at the moment:
    AIAUI.jpg

My problem is that there's no pictures, if I click on "edit background image and videos" it just reloads the page. Ideas?

edit: of course the second I post asking for help it works -_- thanks anyway guys
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Hey chaps, keep trying to upload my item set but constantly get this error when trying to submit:

24p9e83.jpg

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Ta.
  • beaver_knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beaver_knight polycounter lvl 9
    Hello, I am new to 3D graphics :). Please tell me how to make a point light in the map inside maya or zbrush :)
    (about point light map
    http://media.steampowered.com/apps/dota2/workshop/Dota2CharacterTextureGuide.pdf )
  • Mulkyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    Hey chaps, keep trying to upload my item set but constantly get this error when trying to submit:

24p9e83.jpg

Anybody else experiencing similar issues?

Ta.

I was getting this too, even though it says error, exit dota 2 and wait a while (mine took about 20-30 mins) and it should show up in your workshop items list
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye, tried this the last couple of days to no avail. Im going to try and install the client on another comp and see if that works.

EDIT tried this on my tablet but came up with the same error. I'll give it one go tomorrow. Annoying that this one technical glitch seems to be getting in the way of the final submission.
  • nele_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    Aye, tried this the last couple of days to no avail. Im going to try and install the client on another comp and see if that works.

EDIT tried this on my tablet but came up with the same error. I'll give it one go tomorrow. Annoying that this one technical glitch seems to be getting in the way of the final submission.
    damn thats not good news!
  • nele_s
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nele_s polycounter lvl 10
    i hope someone can help me with this
    I am trying to do a cape for the windrunner, testing it in game, but in the preview window, her cape kindof 'disappears' when viewed from the front
    it's not the normals, theyre fine
    does anyone have got an answer to this? its really frustrating :(
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You created polys for the front and back of the cape right?
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi polycount, I have made an item set for broodmother, I would first love to get some critique, and second. I cant publish her!? =3 I will reinstall my Dota 2 client to see if that helps, and or try another computer to see if that works. Sometimes It says that Dota cant find any bones, and sometimes I get my items in perfect, but they are hovering or are scaled wrong. I am using 3ds max 2013. Thanks in advance, Nuke

completepreview.png

A picture of my problem:

somethingwrong.png
  • marul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marul polycounter lvl 7
    Hi polycount, I have made an item set for broodmother, I would first love to get some critique, and second. I cant publish her!? =3 I will reinstall my Dota 2 client to see if that helps, and or try another computer to see if that works. Sometimes It says that Dota cant find any bones, and sometimes I get my items in perfect, but they are hovering or are scaled wrong. I am using 3ds max 2013. Thanks in advance, Nuke

Make sure you apply "reset xform" modifier (and collapse all modifiers afterwards) before skinning your models. Also make sure every item has their pivot set to 0,0,0 and rotations correct. I also had a similar problem but got rid of it after I applied the reset. Good luck.
  • rip3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi,

I am not sure where I should have posted this, but considering it is Dota 2 related I thought of doing it in here.

Everytime I load the MA file from any of the heroes I get these errors:

Error: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 9: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "vsMaster.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #
    # Error: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 10: RuntimeError: file <maya console> line 1: Plug-in, "vstUtils.mll", was not found on MAYA_PLUG_IN_PATH. #
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 476: Unrecognized node type 'vstAttachment'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 533: Unrecognized node type 'vstAttachment'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 597: Unrecognized node type 'vstAttachment'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 736: Unrecognized node type 'vstInfo'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 3768: Unrecognized node type 'vsVmtToTex'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // Warning: file: C:/****/sven/models/heroes/sven/maya/sven_model.ma line 21442: Unrecognized node type 'vsVmtToTex'; preserving node information during this session. //
    // File read in 85 seconds.

Do I require a plugin or something? or should I just creat new shaders and attach the textures to those shader?

Thank you so much for any help.
  • TweaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TweaK polycounter lvl 6
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    i think that is possible to every character, but as far as i know the scrolling texture can just be aplied to the detail mask, that is a 5th texture you add to the model

you need to paint white or shades of gray on the detail channel on the mask 1 (i think).
    then your detail will appear trough that parts.
    check if you put the right info on the vtm

$detail1 "models/heroes/yourhero/texture"
    $DETAIL1BLENDMODE 2
    $DETAIL1SCALE 5
    $DETAIL1BLENDFACTOR 0

Thanks a lot for these informations, I didn't know about this *.vtm file. :)

I'll give it a try and post back later if I manage to success.
    Anyway, are you sure the game will not use the buit-in *.vtm file ?
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm experiencing a problem when importing a mesh for the Crystal Maiden. It almost seems like her relative scale is smaller in-game than it is in the Maya and FBX files that came from the DOTA Workshop.

CMaidProblem.jpg

CMaidProblemB.jpg

Is there any way to fix this or account for this? Has anyone who's worked on the Maiden had the same problem? How'd you get around it?

Thanks for your time.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Baj, I'm getting the same error.

Let me know if you figure this out. I get the feeling it might have to do with the selection of the set items.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ i didn't run into this but it might be the naming?
    Maybe an item name that was similar was submitted and on their end is labeled as removed so any name following that name will be shown as removed?

Just a theory. I usually add in a number at the end or front of my items when submiting, idk if that's frowned upon on their end, though.

Best of luck gents, try to contact a Valve rep, I wouldn't know how though.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    No one has really answered if/how you can utilize custom jigglebones. Is it possible? I would love to know how.
  • jimanjr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DashXero I found a similar problem with CM a while ago and I thought they fixed the workshop model. You can try extracting the model directly from the Dota 2 package and using that as a base. I'm pretty sure it'll end up as a different size.

And just to make sure, although you probably did this, make sure you reset xform :)
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    I was wondering if anyone can address how to update the collection banner image? I've seen a few people fix it but haven't seen any mention of how. I haven't gotten it to work yet. I tried creating a new collection but still couldn't update the banner.
    Thanks.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I tried adding numbers to the file name no luck.

Sent a message to Valves customer support a few days ago and still heard nothing back.

Tried turning off antivirus's,firewalls, etc and still nothing. This is getting frustrating.
  • jimanjr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EtotheRic I think you need a certain number of ratings before that activates. It seems everybody is having this issue because there's no clear indication of why it's not showing up.
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    The collection image on the store has a bug when creating it but there is a way around it.

1 - Go to the store and travel to your collection.
    2 - Click "Edit basic collection information" on the right.
    3 - Don't supply or submit any picture, just click "continue"
    4 - Steam asks you for a pic for your collection
    5 - Submit a pic like requested
    6 - Laugh, cry or just smile when looking upon your collection with a pic.
    7 - Go back to the workshop and vote a thumbs up for the Order of the Caretos set.

There.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOP!! Fixed.

The solution.....I had to buy a game from Steam (Counterstrike seems to work). Items are now uploaded :).
  • jimanjr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOOP!! Fixed.

The solution.....I had to buy a game from Steam (Counterstrike seems to work). Items are now uploaded :).

Aaaah, so you had a limited Steam account. Good to know that fixes it.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jimanjr

Thanks! Yeah transforms were frozen. Er, what do you recommend using to extract the model? I'm a little low on sleep right now, and even something supposedly simple like installing an smd exporter in Maya is a monumental and confusing task...
  • EtotheRic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EtotheRic polycounter lvl 18
    Pina wrote: »
    The collection image on the store has a bug when creating it but there is a way around it.

1 - Go to the store and travel to your collection.
    2 - Click "Edit basic collection information" on the right.
    3 - Don't supply or submit any picture, just click "continue"
    4 - Steam asks you for a pic for your collection
    5 - Submit a pic like requested
    6 - Laugh, cry or just smile when looking upon your collection with a pic.
    7 - Go back to the workshop and vote a thumbs up for the Order of the Caretos set.

There.

Fixed and thumbs upped! Thank you.
  • darkkyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkkyo polycounter lvl 6
    So nobody knows about custom jigglebones? :(
  • Nacon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should've asked sooner but... are we allowed to use Opacity/Alpha masking for texture?

I'm not seeing that document anywhere about it. However, Valve did say something about detail texture... seem very vague about it being used.

Will need Opacity/Alpha masking for fish-net mesh texture for an outfit and obviously hair.
  • PoPcorn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nacon wrote: »
    I should've asked sooner but... are we allowed to use Opacity/Alpha masking for texture?

I'm not seeing that document anywhere about it. However, Valve did say something about detail texture... seem very vague about it being used.

Will need Opacity/Alpha masking for fish-net mesh texture for an outfit and obviously hair.

Only some Characters support Alpha maps. You will need to check if your characters does or not.
  • Jokermax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can use alpha, we are going to add it to heroes that need it
  • Nacon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, I'll just add it to color texture in alpha channel.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nacon wrote: »

Check post #242 in this thread.
  • mjjmlandingin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi i'm having problems in importing my model via maya 2011 to dota 2. here are some screens,

41800958.jpg

screenshot118hd.jpg

I've even used the fbx provided by valve and binded the model correctly, still it's not finding the bones. i haven't found any solutions in maya around the net.

by the way my system is windows 7 64 and maya 2011 64bit.

can anybody help me on this?

EDIT: problem solved, anybody want to know the solution.
    here it is,
    > when testing out meshes make sure you change the corresponding file name so that it will write a new folder. (because I fount out that if you're just using the name TEST all over again, it doesn't rewrite the data.

thank you guys!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I was looking through the workshop. I think Valve should 'Up' the number of PC winners to at least 20.

The quality of sets from this contest is significantly higher than what the rest of the community is doing. You can pretty much use 'Polycount' as a filter to see which entries are good IMHO.

^_^

Great job everyone! These look fantastic!
  • neal_liddle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if developers use these forums. A bunch of people who are entering their characters for the Dota 2 Polycount competition are having the problem that their model (the one you download)and the Dota2 Test model don't match!! We are having floating weapons and clothing which are not matching arms etc. Can anyone give some input or point me into a direction to get help on this?

I tried downloading the latest .smd but still having the same problem. It looks like the geo of the character is not matching the rig. So when we model to the geometry in our 3D packages the final result is wrong. :(
    Even if we can just get an .obj of the geo in the default position it would help tons! Then we can at least match to that.

Any help would be appreciated!!
  • Echronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I was said before, but what is the difference between participating in this contest and just submitting the items in the dota 2 workshop?

I'm confused. If I don't win the contest will I be able to submit my items anyway?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Hey Neal

When I saw that issue, I noticed that your scene units were likely setup to inches and not Metric centimeters.

So when you imported in the base model to the scene, it converted the units.

You'll need to re-import Valve's FBX into a new scene with the metric unit measurements set up, re-import all your set items, and then re-skin it.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Echronos

As I understand it, you should still be able to submit your items anyway. The main difference between winning the contest and not winning the contest, in my eyes, is the amount of promotion the sets will receive. Lots of folks are gonna wanna buy the Polycount Set because it's gonna be freakin' sick. But also because Valve is gonna promote the ever-living hell out of it, it's gonna be the easiest set to find in the store.

@JacqueChoi

Nothin' but metric here, and I'm still experiencing issues with the Crystal Maiden... Though, it could be because I was skinning from the maya ascii and not the FBX...

Note to self: try skinning from the FBX instead of the ascii...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just in-case people come asking or are wondering here:
    To view your custom set together in-game:
    I hope it helps:

Gathered information an Adjustment for better understanding:$!nz
    "You can do it all on dota 2 test.
    1:In the Dota2 BETA FOLDER, extract all folders to the DOTA2TEST FOLDER
    so unpack all files, using CGFScape, on file pak01_dir.vpk to extract all, I went folder by folder not through the root all at once
    after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually) Rename them something like .vpk0 so the game won't register it.

2:Compile your items in dota 2 TEST
    When importing your custom pieces post them as the default names, Bracer, helm, sword , so Beastmaster_sword compile using the default names.. this will be your compiled folder, sword/"your items in here."
    when you extract the files you'll have already renamed them to the defaults.
    what you do with the defaults is put them in a folder and/or move them some where outside of the dota 2 test dir (I deleted them), so you can replace them with your compiled files..

3: find the geometry folder as the example:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\"your item"
    now copy (its very important that u copy and don't erase these files) the content and paste here:
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero (example: beastmaster/(your files go into this dir)not deleting those files you'll have 2 copies in different directories, don't worry. it works like this.
    now rename the default files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your authored files to the default ones and you are set. (unless you didn't in step 2.)
    After this you will see all your geometry loaded in-game on all possible views including loadout. (check at loadout if something is wrong here you did something wrong, redo till you get it right.)

Most of this info is from Tvidotto. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :
    You cant use a slot if there is not a default item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him."

Tvidotto's comments:
    btw, check your alpha on mask1 (i think) the self illumination is full white.
    If you use a full black there the engine will discard the alpha, you need at least a pixel of other color, you can put in the corner of the texture

All credit to those whom posted this information for us, thanks again, I just sorted things out for myself and shared my experience of the process.
    As I had to figure things out that where missing in the "guide".

I have done the above and added my experiences in red to the quote above for better understanding you should review my version as I have already done this last night and got it to work like this and it worked for me.

Best of luck, people.

Also I had to compile the sets within the dota 2 test folder area not the dota 2 beta area, you don't have to submit them the .zip file will be created when you can see them in the previewer.

Whew! now post some in-game images, enjoy, also thanks guys for the info I just organized It for better understanding.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @$!nz,

There are no vowels in your name, but you, sir, are awesome.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DashXero wrote: »
    @$!nz,

There are no vowels in your name, but you, sir, are awesome.

That's nice man thanks, just sharing what I've learned from some generous individual, just can't find the original poster. :( Credit to them, ty,ty,ty.
  • Echronos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    $!nz - Thanks a lot man! I'll try this when I get home :)
  • Dewzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't suppose anyone else has encountered an issue with the in-game compiler and their LOD0 files? My LOD1 and texture files all work without them but as soon as I include the higher poly versions I get:

CTargetMDL::Compile Failed - c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\models\items\[hero name]\[my number thing]\[file folder]\[file.mdl]
    WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 1 Compile Failed

I used Blender and exported as .smd files.

EDIT: Appears to be fixed by not using spaces in the upload name. Thanks $lnz!
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I was looking through the workshop. I think Valve should 'Up' the number of PC winners to at least 20.

I was secretly hoping they would surprise everyone and reveal 15 winners instead.. there's just SO many good entries and it feels like something they might do.
  • DashXero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    I was secretly hoping they would surprise everyone and reveal 15 winners instead.. there's just SO many good entries and it feels like something they might do.

Yeah. I hear you guys. That would be swell...

Maybe if we lift our arms to the sky and wish real hard, it'll happen...:(
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    I am having a huge issue right now. I can't test any items on the DOTA2 workshop at all. Every time I try to test my items, the client crashes. I've tried using items that have worked before a number of times. If someone could help it would be really appreciated.
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    I think my Dota installation somehow got corrupted. I tried entering a game and it crashes all the same. I'm going to try re-downloading the client.

Man, this is a huge slowwdown. :(