Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    lancemaker wrote: »
    dude .. please tell me you are modding the dota 2 test and not the dota 2 beta files, you can download dota 2 test for free if u get dota 2 beta.

From what im reading the old posts you need to get the files from your hero under material and the model files. something like this :

...materials\models\items\spirit_breaker\Crazynumber\dota2importeritemname\
    ...models\items\spirit_breaker\crazynumber\dota2importeritemname\

the first one will hold the textures and a .vmt file that contains the path and some other info. To read it and modify it you need VTFEDIT, just google it.

the second folder holds the geometry info. And you probably should edit the Qc file. But that i cant help u with. After u get those folders then u place on the corresponding (mirroed path) under dota 2 test and run it. But again, i never did it. im also interested on knowing how to do it.

Edit : after reading lots of older posts, seems like the best way to do it is compiling the whole thing from scrach, since we cant have acess to the qc that the dota 2 compiler creates. The qc file is a temporary file from what i learned, so we cant have access to it. one possibility is getting the file whyle the dota 2 compiler creates it. I had access to some raw textures files when i deleted all the spirit breaker files on materials\models\items\spirit_breaker\Crazynumber\dota2importeritemname\ there is a possibility that this also works with the qc files on the models\heros. I will try it here and report back.

Edit 2 : ok ... in fact no need to do that. you can decompile the file with Cannonfodder's studio compiler, then change the paths and recompile then.

Thanks for the help, first of all.

Now, Yes, Im using dota 2 test, and im using the vmt and qc files the dota2 compiler uses in the compiler, I modify the routes and so, and I paste them in the location you are telling me but it dosnt work, so im gonna try the cannonfodder studio compiler you are telling me, and see what happens.

Thank you very much.

edit: Tested and now I see an ERROR message on his foot, but still cant see my model, atleast is some improvement but still cant work..

Can someone that already did it help us? Thanks!
  • RDMD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RDMD polycounter lvl 10
    since people was talking about those "beauty" shots

is there a way to make a render of a item to look like ingame,but only of the selected item like a weapon?

I dont know if in the sumbit option of dota there is a option like that,I have only advanced to the one that looks like the cuztomize section
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    Having some problems with draging down my LOD0 to LOD1, as I take away polygons of course the normal map is gonna be affected, Im just wondering what is the better solution here, maybe rebake again to LOD1, then again you get really choppy resluts again :( Example of my problem:

head.png
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bake lod1, then add some edge loops and lod0 is done, but that's the easy and sloppy way.
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio wrote: »
    Thanks for the help, first of all.

Now, Yes, Im using dota 2 test, and im using the vmt and qc files the dota2 compiler uses in the compiler, I modify the routes and so, and I paste them in the location you are telling me but it dosnt work, so im gonna try the cannonfodder studio compiler you are telling me, and see what happens.

Thank you very much.

edit: Tested and now I see an ERROR message on his foot, but still cant see my model, atleast is some improvement but still cant work..

Can someone that already did it help us? Thanks!

i did it :
    2012112400005.jpg
    You can do it all on dota 2 test.

unpack Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\pak01_dir.vpk using GCFScape

you must unpack all files pointing to \dota 2 test\dota, in a manner that the game dont need any file from the compiled ones. so unpack all files.

after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually)

2:
    import your files with dota 2 test as you would do normally on dota 2 beta. You can also use your alredy imported files on the dota 2 beta filesystem. Just use the same logic and copy the files to the same folders on the dota 2 test.

3:

find the geometry folder as the exemple :
    Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\youritem

now copy (its very important that u copy and dont erase this files) the content and paste here:

Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\heroes\yourhero

now rename the deafult files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your autored files to the deafult ones and you are set.

After this you will see all your geometry loaded ingame on all possible views including loadout.

i got most of this info from this own tread andTvidotto's workshop tread. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :

You cant use a slot if there is not a deafult item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him.
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    i did it :
    2012112400005.jpg

unpack Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\pak01_dir.vpk using GCFScape

you must unpack all files pointing to \dota 2 test\dota, in a manner that the game dont need any file from the compiled ones. so unpack all files.

after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually)

2:
    import your files with dota 2 test as you would do normally on dota 2 beta. You can also use your alredy imported files on the dota 2 beta filesystem. Just use the same logic and copy the files to the same folders on the dota 2 test.

3:

Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 test\dota\models\items\yourhero\crazynumber\youritem

now copy (its very important that u copy and dont erase this files) the content and paste here:

now rename the deafult files so u can use the respective slot with your own geometry, rename your autored files to the deafult ones and you are set.

After this you will see all your geometry loaded ingame on all possible views including loadout.

i got most of this info from this own tread andTvidotto's workshop tread. but i had to smash my head for some hours to get it done.

Limitations :

You cant use a slot if there is not a deafult item on the hero. For exemple : i cant use my "back" item on Spirit breaker, since there is not a deafult back item on him.

It works! it works!!!! I love you, SO much, Thank you man, you are the one.

First test inside game, thanks to lancemaker:

vIzJ7.jpg
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guFPN.pngkjlXk.png
    Hey all, i took these screenshots on 18 ‎October ‎2012, and my staff was working fine, now i tried uploading the same FBX in the in-game test and i get an error saying that tri count is above the limit. is that updates after 18 ‎October ‎2012 causing this error or is it not faces in maya that is should consider? PLs help GuysuFcoA.jpg
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

vIzJ7.jpg

That looks nice dude !!
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    guFPN.pngkjlXk.png
    Hey all, i took these screenshots on 18 ‎October ‎2012, and my staff was working fine, now i tried uploading the same FBX in the in-game test and i get an error saying that tri count is above the limit. is that updates after 18 ‎October ‎2012 causing this error or is it not faces in maya that is should consider? PLs help GuysuFcoA.jpg

to know the triangle count first go to render and select high quality render. then select the item that you want to know the amount of polys, and check the second roll on the line : tris.
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lancemaker , my GPU does not support HQ render :P. But i dont think tat is the problem , cuz iv done so many other items considering Face count in maya 2012 and all have worked fine
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10

The poly limit for items is in tris not faces. There was a bug in the importer that only counted the number of faces instead of tris but this was recently fixed, which is probably why you can't import it anymore. That version would work for the Lod0 model but you'll need to make a Lod1 model under 400 tris.

Void's weapon limits:
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 750
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 400
    Texture Size: 256H x 256W
    This model should primarily be bound to the bone: Staff1_0
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The poly limit for items is in tris not faces. There was a bug in the importer that only counted the number of faces instead of tris but this was recently fixed, which is probably why you can't import it anymore. That version would work for the Lod0 model but you'll need to make a Lod1 model under 400 tris.

Void's weapon limits:
    LoD0 Triangle Limit: 750
    LoD1 Triangle Limit: 400
    Texture Size: 256H x 256W
    This model should primarily be bound to the bone: Staff1_0

So all my previous items will not work? so now we have to make items with even lesser geometry ?
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    That looks nice dude !!

Thank you but still need to fix the masks!
  • LiselottePulva
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Bake lod1, then add some edge loops and lod0 is done, but that's the easy and sloppy way.

Wrong way mate - bake lod0 and than delete edges !
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    So all my previous items will not work? so now we have to make items with even lesser geometry ?

They will work for the high-detail models, which show up in menus, zooming in on the character etc. It's called the portrait geometry I believe in the uploader. For the low-detail model seen from the top-down view in-game you'll need to delete edges until you get your tri count down yes.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    man, these polycount contest entries make me really want to step up my game. I'm getting blown out of the water. le sigh. :poly141:
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    man, these polycount contest entries make me really want to step up my game. I'm getting blown out of the water. le sigh. :poly141:

Don't give up dude, you can only get better at this with these contests, so keep trying.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    c0ldhands wrote: »
    Having some problems with draging down my LOD0 to LOD1, as I take away polygons of course the normal map is gonna be affected, Im just wondering what is the better solution here, maybe rebake again to LOD1, then again you get really choppy resluts again :( Example of my problem:

head.png

I can see on your lod0 normal map you have an error in the same place you circled in red on your lod1. A normal map error on your LOD0 will, of course translate down to your lod1. Clean normals will LOD easier than messy/unclean normals.

Also I never really give two hoots about small discrepancies on my LOD1 as the camera is pretty far away and the normals so slight in game. But for a learning exercise you should learn to fix your normal bakes to get rid of lod0 errors like what you have.
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys Im kinda new to this and was trying to make an alpha for Crystal maiden on her shoulders but it wasnt working properly, any idea how I can make alpha display properly? Thanks!
  • deolol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deolol polycounter lvl 6
    Something else thats REALLY confusing me is, how do I import seperate LODS? Do I keep them both visible or something? Thanks guys
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    @deolol
    To see Lod0 you need to import Lod1 and Lod0. The viewer only shows you Lod0 if you import both of them.
    To see Lod1 you just import Lod1, no need for Lod0.

Hey guys, I am trying to put my entire set in game too but I don't understand this step here "after this you must rename all the .vpk files (there is an easy way using the command prompt. but u can do it manually)"

Rename them to...?
    Thanks in advance
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ lancemaker

Ummm. Great work getting it in game and putting out the info. That is so helpful.

@ RaYfIre

This is something I had to figure out as well. My original first set was complete wrong, because the real definition of LOD had to do with a vertices count, but valve means tris. You just have to adapt. Sorry about that. We really don't have much room. It kind of makes you sad. Good luck. It means using a lot of big flat polygons. It isn't about intricate, but big and fat and flat.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see on your lod0 normal map you have an error in the same place you circled in red on your lod1. A normal map error on your LOD0 will, of course translate down to your lod1. Clean normals will LOD easier than messy/unclean normals.

Also I never really give two hoots about small discrepancies on my LOD1 as the camera is pretty far away and the normals so slight in game. But for a learning exercise you should learn to fix your normal bakes to get rid of lod0 errors like what you have.

If that is your problem area, considering relaying your UVs. Try not to put the UV borders/edges in STAR formations. After you break down your LOD, are you re-smoothing the normals? You can manually adjust your normals on the LOD1. You can also do this with your LOD0. The normal map will work fine, even if there is a small difference.
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SinAmos wrote: »
    @ lancemaker

Ummm. Great work getting it in game and putting out the info. That is so helpful.

@ RaYfIre

This is something I had to figure out as well. My original first set was complete wrong, because the real definition of LOD had to do with a vertices count, but valve means tris. You just have to adapt. Sorry about that. We really don't have much room. It kind of makes you sad. Good luck. It means using a lot of big flat polygons. It isn't about intricate, but big and fat and flat.

Oh well Thx , Back to basics then!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    c0ldhands wrote: »

head.png

on that especific part i suggest you to correct on photoshop, you can go on each channel taking out that "problem"

or you can make the lod0 in that part a little more flat like the lod1 and rebake again

that part is really tricky and some of the dota limits make it worse, some itens have a huge difference between lod1 and 0 limits
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

vIzJ7.jpg

great guys, im happy for you =]

the first time i got a courier ingame i was about to cry hahaha
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guFPN.pngkjlXk.png

the in game compiler was bugged on that triangles count, it was counting polygons and not triangles, all the limits are in triagles
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

if they are over the limit they will not work, the limit didnt change, that was the bug that made people count the triangles wrong

in that time a lot of people were discussing with me in the forum saying that was quad that matter because of this bug...
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i did it :
    2012112400005.jpg

2:

3:

Limitations :

btw, check your alpha on mask1 (i think) the self ilumination is full white
    if you use a full black there the engine will discard the alpha, you need at least a pixel of other color, you can put in the corner of the texture
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    btw, check your alpha on mask1 (i think) the self ilumination is full white
    if you use a full black there the engine will discard the alpha, you need at least a pixel of other color, you can put in the corner of the texture
    it was indeed.
    ----

2511id.jpg

Ok i desaturated all the pieaces and i think they are now matching better. what you guys think ? i dont have alot of color theory on me. If u guys know some books on the subject i would be gratefull.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was indeed.
    ----

2511id.jpg

Ok i desaturated all the pieaces and i think they are now matching better. what you guys think ? i dont have alot of color theory on me. If u guys know some books on the subject i would be gratefull.

did you compare your first result with this one? MUCH BETTER!!! =]

great improvement

about your last questions, the metalness

it reduce part of the color and specular and makes it more reflective to a generic cubemap, which makes it more like a metal

i studied a little other valves materials, valves generally uses metalness with some tint specular by color and amost no rim light on the metal parts
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    after some technical hasle it is finaly done:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=110093036
    The+surgeons+blaster.jpg
    hp_gun1.jpg

great work man =]

i just noticed that lacks some resolution, the valves constrains of texture are sometimes a little painfull, but you could try to mirror more parts to get more resolution on the uv maps
    (for a next project =] )

and you blacks are too dark, according to the valves textures doc, is better not to use heavy blacks
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, a little question. If i bake normals in xnormal, do i need x+,y+,z+ coordinates or something different? Because it works ok, i guess, but the guide said "3dsmax red channel is left; green is up; blue is top" and it gives me a different result. I wonder if i've been baking broken normals all this time, haha
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahoburg wrote: »
    Guys, a little question. If i bake normals in xnormal, do i need x+,y+,z+ coordinates or something different? Because it works ok, i guess, but the guide said "3dsmax red channel is left; green is up; blue is top" and it gives me a different result. I wonder if i've been baking broken normals all this time, haha

i never changed the default configuration on xnormal and maya, i never used max to bake normals
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    make sure "y" is set to "-" in xNormal. I found this out too late, and all my accepted items have broken normal maps :(
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi polycount, I have made an item set for broodmother, I ould first love to get some critique, and second. I cant publish her!? =3 I will reinstall my Dota 2 client to see if that helps, and or try another computer to see if that works. Sometimes It says that Dota cant find any bones, and sometimes I get my items in perfect, but they are hovering or are scaled wrong. I am using 3ds max 2013. Thanks in advance, Nuke

completepreview.png
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou wrote: »
    make sure "y" is set to "-" in xNormal. I found this out too late, and all my accepted items have broken normal maps :(
    yep, same. Seems like i only need to invert green channel in photoshop.
  • Hawt Koffee
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    great work man =]

i just noticed that lacks some resolution, the valves constrains of texture are sometimes a little painfull, but you could try to mirror more parts to get more resolution on the uv maps
    (for a next project =] )

and you blacks are too dark, according to the valves textures doc, is better not to use heavy blacks

thanks a lot for the feedback.

i wasn´t shure about mirroring because nowhere in the documents it is mentioned if their normals work when mirrored, a lot of engines have problems with mirrored normals.

i don´t know if i can still update the files after i submitted them, but if so i will update the textures and definetly get the blacks out of the diffuse.
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi again, I have captured a picture with my problem. It did not help to reinstall Dota 2. Anyone got an idea maybe?

somethingwrong.png

EDIT: took the wrong picture link
  • tanka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tanka polycounter lvl 12
    Well my contest set didn't go anywhere.. So here's my high poly for a new Lone Druid item.. I'm making him look a bit younger with a bit of an anime style, but keeping it in druids theme. :)

druidhairsculpt.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    thanks a lot for the feedback.

i wasn´t shure about mirroring because nowhere in the documents it is mentioned if their normals work when mirrored, a lot of engines have problems with mirrored normals.

i don´t know if i can still update the files after i submitted them, but if so i will update the textures and definetly get the blacks out of the diffuse.

yes, you can update the files, is just a matter of reuploading in the same place

the mirroring works on source, a lot of heroes uses mirror in the face (the most important) that will save you a lot of pixels

hope that helped =]
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again, I have captured a picture with my problem. It did not help to reinstall Dota 2. Anyone got an idea maybe?

somethingwrong.png

EDIT: took the wrong picture link

read some old pages of this thread, a lot of people got stuck on the same problem
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on a New Axe for MK
    wKUVX.jpgmZ5Le.jpg
    Need Suggestions. And if any one is Interested to Texture it PM me
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it was indeed.
    ----

2511id.jpg

I really like what we see.
  • lancemaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you compare your first result with this one? MUCH BETTER!!! =]

great improvement

about your last questions, the metalness

it reduce part of the color and specular and makes it more reflective to a generic cubemap, which makes it more like a metal

i studied a little other valves materials, valves generally uses metalness with some tint specular by color and amost no rim light on the metal parts

ty dude, i really apreciate your comment. im still matching the colors and saturations of all parts, and im painting the ilumination too. Not on all parts just on top. part of the head and back and shoulders. it makes a difference inside the game. the horn is bugging me now, the design is too heavy when it is on top view. Concerning the metallness, i will play with it as soon i finish matching the colors. I learned that i should be more careful with the concept design, i had to make stuff over and over again like 10 times. bad planning. Well ... not all of it was my fault. i coudnt imagine that the horn slot is the head slot. when i figured that i had to make another horn.

SinAmos wrote: »
    I really like what we see.

ty mate.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Highpoly done for a new set. I'm going to hate myself when I have rig this. I might have to change or remove some things.

set_wip.png
  • Dvonio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dvonio polycounter lvl 4
    It have a name now! The Pole Coasts Regalia:

Soon on the workshop!
    UsQGV.jpg
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, almost done now. Just need to get those masks done. I'm so god damn tired of this set now. :) Not really satisfied at all but i have learned so much by doing this first set. I should have taken some other easier hero to make a set for. Took a while to sort out the skinning problems but all should be good to go on friday.

8T5O7.jpg