Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Dota 2 Polycount Contest 'Q&A Thread'

Replies

• EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EduardoMC polycounter lvl 5
    Is there a way to load up all 3 items in the in-game room to show them at the same time? Normally I would use an external program (like VRay or MentalRay) to display them. However,the Skeleton King has some very specific uses of the Dota 2 shader engine (like metalness to make grey turn black)which in turn makes it very difficult to showcase outside of the engine.

Edit: Also how is everyone recording the preview window inside DOTA2 and editing it? FRAPS?
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I've sculpted something in Mudbox and I want to bake it onto my model in Maya. I exported the normal map and everything looks like its going fine:
    CqC8n.png
    Until somehow through the baking process the normal map turns into this:
    8G804.png
    And looks like a rainbow blob.

Anybody know what happened here? I'm a complete noob at this and would appreciate some help here!
  • Pina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pina polycounter lvl 5
    It looks like you have UVs overlaping each other or maybe the model has 2 UV sets?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    What do you mean exactly? You said you exported your normal map from Mudbox which looks fine in the preview in the fist screenshot you provided. What exactly do you mean when you say you wanna 'bake' it in Maya after already having the normal map? You already baked it in Mudbox...
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Spudnik wrote: »
    What do you mean exactly? You said you exported your normal map from Mudbox which looks fine in the preview in the fist screenshot you provided. What exactly do you mean when you say you wanna 'bake' it in Maya after already having the normal map? You already baked it in Mudbox...

yep, you have it on the left screen, you dont need to bake it again

you just need to make a beter uvmap and use more of you texture, now you are using less then 50% of it
  • Vindalia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, thanks Pina, Spudnik and Tvidotto for the clarification! I suppose what I'm trying to do here is apply the normal map to my model in Maya after creating it in Mudbox. Since the bow has 4 sections that are essentially mirror images of each other, I'm attempting to save space by having one UV map that corresponds to these 4 sections. The original bow model does this, and its apparent that my attempt at reverse engineering has failed here. I will continue to try and figure this out... :)
  • KaiserKloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaiserKloud polycounter lvl 6
    helmetpose.jpg

Somebody can tell me how i can place a flame on candle? Or how i can rig it to make it swinging? (sorry for terrible english)
  • KaiserKloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Somebody answer me T_T
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @KaiserKloud: Currently adding a new particle effect to an item has not been figured out. All we have is the modification of existing particles. I am currently trying to duplicate the location of an existing particle effect on mine but to no avail yet.
  • KaiserKloud
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    @KaiserKloud: Currently adding a new particle effect to an item has not been figured out. All we have is the modification of existing particles. I am currently trying to duplicate the location of an existing particle effect on mine but to no avail yet.

Oh :( however thank you !!
  • AkeR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey!
    A quick question: can I remove/edit existing model geometry?

for example, can I delete Pudges hair and replace it with my own design, or should I keep the original model as it is?
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, just a quick heads up on what I've learned about particles: These cannot be added or subtracted as they are an integral part of the game files. Under the Scripts/NPC/npc_heroes.txt
    Based on what I've read and tested, only particles defined in this file exist, and modifying this file can wreck/alter things in the entire game.
    Additionally, you cannot force an attachment point to be duplicated. I have not found a way to change which attachment particles assign to.

My conclusion is that, until Valve posts a guide to editing/adding effects and animations, modifying or adding those elements is pretty much off-limits.
  • Yulia_Nightshade
    Does anybody see the dota like shader for 3D MAX? It will be easy to test textures in MAX.
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you look at Crazyone's Huskar set, he somehow previewed his full set inside the DOTA2 engine, even played with the set on within the game. How could he do it? Is it some developer mode or test version of DOTA2?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UQgi1udg4YA#
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    EduardoMC wrote: »
    If you look at Crazyone's Huskar set, he somehow previewed his full set inside the DOTA2 engine, even played with the set on within the game. How could he do it? Is it some developer mode or test version of DOTA2?

This has been discussed a few times in the Dota2 thread
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    This has been discussed a few times in the Dota2 thread

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, finally got it working in-game.

Checked that thread along with other information from different sources; had to mix and match parts of the process from a number of places to get it to work though, haha. Definitely an obscure procedure.

I'll probably make a tutorial once the competition is over, it is a pretty long / potentially confusing process so I can't do it right now.
  • KWAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm trying to preview the .tga's in maya 2012 but I'm encountering an error with these CgFX Shaders. It wont allow me to import the textures with this shader applied. What is the best way to preview these textures?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    @KWAN
    Works for me O.o Are you in Viewport 2.0 or High Quality viewport rendering by any chance?
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    EduardoMC wrote: »

it's the old way of importing stuff explained here
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
    then you use Dota2Slasher.exe and write a .bat file to delete original items from dota and place your compiled stuff into the right folder
    * .bat file for the head
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.dx90.vtx" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.mdl" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.vvd" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_masks1.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_masks2.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_normal.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"

took me a while to import all of the stuff
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone wrote: »
    it's the old way of importing stuff explained here
    http://wyksblog.com/getting-started-dota-2-cosmetics/
    then you use Dota2Slasher.exe and write a .bat file to delete original items from dota and place your compiled stuff into the right folder
    * .bat file for the head
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.dx90.vtx" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.mdl" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.vvd" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_masks1.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_masks2.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"
    Dota2Slasher.exe -r -file "materials\models\heroes\huskar\huskar_helmet_normal.vtf" -vpk "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\pak01_dir.vpk"

took me a while to import all of the stuff

Brilliant, that's a great way to do it. :) I was doing it manually, haha!
  • Kralzar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    compileerror.jpg

So I decided to give this old compiling method a shot so I can see my entire set in game. I keep getting this error though. all bones are in the scene and exported but the compiling does not think it exists? I exported as SMD with all 3 items checked off at the top under export reference SMD.
  • Yulia_Nightshade
    I dont know how to create bowstring poly127.gif for Drow Ranger. Please help!!!

Example model does not export! Where can I get information about bowstring?
  • Gregorein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Q: Can Belt be placed in the Shoulders slot (Hero is Templar Assassin)?
  • Nannou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nannou polycounter lvl 5
    Yulia_Nightshade:
    The bowstring is a sprite, so you don't have to add it. It should show in the compiler preview, if not Valve will add it.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont know how to create bowstring poly127.gif for Drow Ranger. Please help!!!

Example model does not export! Where can I get information about bowstring?

Im working with warlock and currently some of his particles are turned off when previewing, this just recently changed. If i test in the test client they all work though, might be worth a try with Drow as i think the bowstring is a glowing particle/sprite?
  • hopgood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hopgood polycounter lvl 12
    When creating a model for the witchdoctor ward how can we test that using the in game engine?

It requires a bone to skin too according to the tool but the only joint within the witchdoctor_ward file is the root joint. Obviously if you use this you get the hilarious effect of your ward model shooting out of the Witchdoctor's hips.

It's more than likely I am missing something but I can't find a way to import it using the in-game tool at the moment.
  • EduardoMC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to be sure, for the normal map, we just have to invert the Y (Green) channel, correct? Or do we also have to invert the Z (Blue) channel?

Thanks!
  • deppep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lone druid 'summon bear' item must be a bear?
  • Welbig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I could use some help. I'm using the fbx export setting recommended by the link below but the skinning information seems to be lost. In Maya I rigged the helm to head_1 but it seems to be skinned to more bones once it is imported. I get an error on opening the maya file but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: do the channels for the normal maps for Dota2 follow the same directions as they do in maya? If not what channels do I need to invert?

Edit2: just read further into the FAQ and saw that the Dota2 doesn't update unless you close and restart it. Seems the tutorial must have done the trick after all. The Normal question still stands.

http://agentfx.blogspot.com/2012/11/dota2-simple-riggingimporting-tutorial.html

4772516_orig.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kralzar wrote: »
    compileerror.jpg

So I decided to give this old compiling method a shot so I can see my entire set in game. I keep getting this error though. all bones are in the scene and exported but the compiling does not think it exists? I exported as SMD with all 3 items checked off at the top under export reference SMD.

you dont need the bounding box of this bone just to see in game, go to that line and comment it (add "//" in the start of the line) that will make the compiler skip it

keep in mind that for the game you need that bounding box, use the in game compiler to avoid that missing when submiting
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welbig wrote: »
    Hey I could use some help. I'm using the fbx export setting recommended by the link below but the skinning information seems to be lost. In Maya I rigged the helm to head_1 but it seems to be skinned to more bones once it is imported. I get an error on opening the maya file but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: do the channels for the normal maps for Dota2 follow the same directions as they do in maya? If not what channels do I need to invert?

Edit2: just read further into the FAQ and saw that the Dota2 doesn't update unless you close and restart it. Seems the tutorial must have done the trick after all. The Normal question still stands.

http://agentfx.blogspot.com/2012/11/dota2-simple-riggingimporting-tutorial.html

4772516_orig.jpg
    that deformation appear that you rigged to more then one bone, check that in your maya scene, probably you will find the solution there
  • Welbig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    that deformation appear that you rigged to more then one bone, check that in your maya scene, probably you will find the solution there

Thanks for the response but the problem got solved. It turns out the changes from the export tutorial did the trick I just didn't know that I had to restart Dota to see it.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Welbig wrote: »

Dota 2 uses 3DS Max y direction. So when you are baking in x-normal, bake with y-
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Hi guys, I got a problem with importing my FBX in to Dota 2, it says the following:

Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted.

But I have skinned my model, so I wonder if you guys have any clue that could be a cause of this. I skinned my model too the Original FBX file that I downloaded from their workshop. Thanks in advance!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, I got a problem with importing my FBX in to Dota 2, it says the following:

Couldn't find any bones in the wearable that correspond to bones in the hero model. Wearable items must be skinned to the hero's bones to be submitted.

But I have skinned my model, so I wonder if you guys have any clue that could be a cause of this. I skinned my model too the Original FBX file that I downloaded from their workshop. Thanks in advance!

got that problem once

you should select all the bones and the mesh to export to fbx
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got that problem once

Hmm, I will try that, will reply when I have seen hoe it does
  • Yulia_Nightshade
    Geometry Requirements (http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements) say:
    Please note that Dota 2 does not support double-sided materials; you will need to create geometry where a backside is needed.

But example of Drow`s cloak have only backside polygones (without inside ones).
    But I have only 100 polyes for cloak - - it is imposible to create cloak whith to sides (example one olready has 64 polyes for one side).

What should I do?
  • Gooba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone tried to import an item for dazzle since the last update? It is not working for me. Even importing his official items doesn't work. It says its missing a vmt template when compiling. "dark.vmt"

I tried importing items for other heroes and that worked. Also, I've already verified the cache and I'm currently re-installing Dota 2. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same problem... or if it's just on my end.

Failed to load specified VMT template 'materials/models/heroes/dazzle/dark.vmt' for class 'dazzle'.

WARNING: CTargetZIP::Compile - Target 0 Compile Failed
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Hi guys! I really need your help! I done some stuff for venomancer, texture it and try to test it in engine. I get bones from default venomancer fbx. So i have my own model of "head", i create new scene in 3ds max, import valve "head" fbx. So there were bones and "head" model.
    218ab50db3eb24e15b8f3ff5c2c8718b.png?1352753644
    Then i imported my own mesh.
    679301f809f5fc21995bd7b35389927c.png?1352753836
    Scale of my model was 100 100 100, but default venomancers "head" was 39,47 39,47 39,47
    So append my mesh to default and then delete defaukt "head". So i had old Skin modifier and my mesh with 39,47 39,47 39,47 scale.
    Then i select all the bones and my mesh, export it as FBX and import into the engine. This is wat i have. I really dont know how to solve yhis problem. Please help.
    408b2f8e9d0dd992338b3eebea5594b0.png?1352754440
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    got that problem once

So I have now tried importing it with all bones selected, I got it in there, but the item I selected doesn't connect to the model, and I get this again:

This means practically that my model Is lying right behind her and doesn't move with the animations. And also the item is smaller than it is in 3ds Max.
    somethingswrong.png
    A picture showing my problem.

Does anyone here know what is going on and how to fix this?
  • SpaceCentipede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceCentipede polycounter lvl 4
    Please help. only one week last. I cant beieve i cant take part in this challenge only cause of engine.
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    I am having an issue with the jiggle bones in Invokers cape. When I import the fbx file I get two sets of cape bones, one with _BASE apended to it. Rigging the cape to the normal cape bones results in the imported cape moving with the body, but not moving around. attaching the cape to the "_BASE" bones results in faulty weighting with stretched broken verts everywhere. Also one chain of the "_BASE" cape bones on one side has faulty rotation and appears pointing sideways out of invokers shoulder.

(Also in the fbx version the cape seems to be in many different parts, with an inside and outside etc, unlike the smd version)

If I import the smd, I just get one set of bones (which seems more correct) but once again if I rig the cape to this it appears as a solid block and doesn't move.

Is it currently even possible to create jiggleboned objects using the importer? and if so how? Is there a guide somewhere to get it working?
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Please help. only one week last. I cant beieve i cant take part in this challenge only cause of engine.

Try using the bones from the smd file, use the plugin here to import them
  • Vangre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vangre polycounter lvl 10
    Hi, I'm trying to import the meshes i made in the workshop, but the thing i get all the time with all of my items is the following : t0nbye.jpg
    though i've done reset x-form and set the pivot to 0 , and tried the smd as the fbx export, every time my weapon (as in this example) shows up a bit higher than where it should be , but it does fit in the hand of the character. What do i need to do to fix this?
  • Vangre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vangre polycounter lvl 10
    Wasted a few hours on searching for but it works now. Still don't have a clue why the scale of some models are put to 39.47 ...
  • Jokermax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maybe its conversion from centimeters to inches - 39.47*2.54(cm in inch) =100
  • Naso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is Valve/Polycount going to extend the contest deadline?

There are so many threads that are almost done but have problems with the importer tool in game, I think giving them two more weeks would be good!
  • Boonta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    So I'm trying to preview my armor set in game using the Dota2Slasher method mentioned on page 14. But am running into issues. Am wondering if any of you who have had success previewing the whole set in game could offer some advice on how to do this.

1. Can I take the complied files from the .ZIP that the Dota game creates using the workshop importer and feed this into Dota2Slasher bat file? Or do i need to manually compile it.

2. Dota2Slasher seems very temperamental in actually moving the files when trying the above. Is there a trick to get it to work properly? Specific File locations?? I've only been able to get it to work (blue info text comes up in dos window??) when Ive had the game open for a bit in a actual level and it copys something but that item I try and replace just disappears and shows "error mesh" ingame after.

Edit: Trying something new I saw posted in the Dota2 workshop thread which might solve my issues. Fingers Crossed

Edit: no luck, current process anyone suggest what im doing wrong?

1. Installed dota2 TEST.
    2. extracted pak01_dir.vpk to \dota test\dota folder and deleted pak01_dir.vpk so it would use the extracted files.
    3. unzipped the test helm i had compiled using the workshop importer (it was names testHelm on import) on extraction of files from zip i renamed the .mdl. .vvd, and .vtx to have the correct skeleton_king_helm prefix and overwrote the files in the dota test\dota\models\heros\skeleton_king folder.
    4. fire up the game. default helm has disappeared but my mesh isnt showing.

For now i was hoping to just replace the model files.. i tried doing the same with the 4 material files under materials\models\heros etc etc but this didnt make my mesh appear in game.

will keep reading the forum in the mean time....
  • Gerre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gerre polycounter lvl 10
    Is it allowed to add custom jigglebones?
  • phazeddl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, anyone might have an idea why i get this error in Zbrush?

When i export the normal map from my model, i get this weird stripe across the bottom part of the map, it goes all over the normal map of the uv parts.

Here's the pic:

eQ3AE.jpg

Does anyone know why this is happening? It looks like there are some other parts of the geometry there or something, but we checked the model and there are none.

If anyone has any idea about this it would really help a lot!