Home Technical Talk

Another Normal map problem

Hi guys I know you get these a lot and there are a loot of threads about this. I looked at as many as I could but could not fix my problem. I looked at the sticky thread here as well still couldn't fix it.

The problem: My holes are stretched...

My UVs are broken up. I've set my smoothing groups manually so everything that has to be is a different smoothing group is. I tried adding support edges but that just makes the problem different. I tried messing with the cage but again just changes the problem.

I am using 3DS Max "Render to texture" with a cage.
I tried using xnormal there the problem is fixed but I have seams everywhere.
I tried asking the lord multiple times for help but I don't think he will answer my prayers soon. I just dont know what to do anymore.

Here are pictures. (There are holes on both sides of the cylinder and both sides have the problem. And also my UVs. Top is the high poly)

Replies

• uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The stretchy artifact is prabably caused by the fact that when baking rays are not exactly perpendicular to the cylinder top. That is because you are using averaged projection cage. You could probably fix that by messing with your lowpoly, but...

Firstly you should change extrudes into bevels if you want to have such kind of detail on the normal map. Even if you fix the stretchy shit the holes will appear very flat.

Pic to illustrate it.
    NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=normal_slopes_hatred.jpg

Another way is to include holes in your lowpoly, at the cost of extra triangles of course.
  • Ivan21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply :)

About the bevels I have beveled them a bit maybe from the pics its not visible (it is a bit too small of a bevel I must admit)

What do you mean by messing with the low poly? Like adding removing edges or completly remaking it? Including the holes in the LP will be the last resort. And I have a feeling there is a better way to bake this texture?
  • Ivan21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Solved the issue. For any people from the future I shall post what I did.

I baked my texture how I used to with the cage. Than I baked another one but this time in the projection options I uncheck "use cage". But from the second map I use only the holes because the edges might look weird. So I overlap them in PS and delete everything but the holes from the second map.

I attached results. Btw thanks "uncle" really helped me understand the issue better and direct my google searched in the right way :D