Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

GuildWars 2 Environment Process

Replies

• ahktang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahktang polycounter lvl 5
    no problem viewing the images here, though i'm using a real computer, not some new-fangled tablet! :)

Thanks for showing off all these breakdowns Jason, I've seen most of them in class, but there's a lot of new stuff here too.
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, here are a couple more breakdowns.

These are some early concepts of "The Grove" which is the starting city for the Sylvari plant creatures. These were done by Matt Barrett.

GroveConcepts.jpg

Here is a quick test level with some of the first buildings. It was a challenge to create an organic set of buildings but still keeping the textures and materials modular.

GroveProcess01.jpg

Starting to block in the Grove and get a feel for the size.

GroveProcess02.jpg

GroveProcess02b.jpg

Started blocking in a swimming hole area at the base.

GroveProcess02c.jpg

Getting ready to show design. They rightfully decided to simplify this in the end product because of the confusing pathways and verticality.

GroveProcess03.jpg

GroveProcess04.jpg

Here are some Lions Arch sketches that Levi Hopkins and Matt Barrett provided.

LionsArchBridgeConcept.jpg

LionsArchConcept.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15098641/PolyCountPost/LionsArchConceptsBarrett.jpg

LionsArchLeviSketches.jpg

An early block in of one of the market areas. Daniel thought it would be cool if the vendor tents resembled waves crashing against the nearby cliffs.

LionsArchProcess01.jpg

The same area about halfway finished.

LionsArchProcess02.jpg

Just playing around with some bridge props by flipping them and trying to find cool intersections. It's always fun to see how much mileage you can get out of a single prop.

LionsArchProcess02b.jpg

Getting close to calling the prototype done. This was one of the later areas I worked on and by this time I was able to hire on a team of ex students. Thanks Andy, Carlon, Kevin, Chris, Danny, Noah, MeatBall and Jacob for the help on prototyping this.

LionsArchProcess03.jpg

LionsArchProcess04.jpg
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Can't believe no one commented on those yet.
    Great job, awesome process and cool concepts!
    So cool for your students to be able to join you professionally - super stoked for them)

Thanks so much for sharing this, Jason.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    I'm jizzing all over this thread right now.

Thanks so much for all this awesome knowledge!
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Wohoo more awesome! \o/
  • Shanthosa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shanthosa polycounter lvl 11
    Lion's arch is one of the most amazing areas in the game. Awesome to see how it came to be that way.
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    WOAH! amazing concepts, and inspirational to see them fully-realised as such beautiful in-game environments!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Now I can see! :D
    Environment are really pretty, I like the composition and the mood. Thank you for sharing this! And sorry for the disturbing, any content from Dropbox is blocked at the office...^^'
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks for the share..Actually feel like trying GW2 now :)
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is truly amazing. Im so blown away by all of this! Thank you so much for sharing. I am finishing my last year of uni now as an environment artist and you are such an inspiration. I also play Gw2 and have taken many screenshots of the environment for inspiration!

A couple questions if i may!

1. Could you post some more individual assets breakdowns? I love seeing those!
    2. How is the gw2 team split up in terms for world building/environment art? As in, you seemed to have worked on many different areas, Are certain people assigned to build the blockout/large forms, while receiving models from other artists to fill the world out?

Looking forward to more!
  • gamefactory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamefactory polycounter lvl 7
    wow amazing works!
    definitely inspiring.
    Thank you for the sharing :)
  • futurepoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is truly amazing. Im so blown away by all of this! Thank you so much for sharing. I am finishing my last year of uni now as an environment artist and you are such an inspiration. I also play Gw2 and have taken many screenshots of the environment for inspiration!

A couple questions if i may!

1. Could you post some more individual assets breakdowns? I love seeing those!
    2. How is the gw2 team split up in terms for world building/environment art? As in, you seemed to have worked on many different areas, Are certain people assigned to build the blockout/large forms, while receiving models from other artists to fill the world out?

Looking forward to more!

Unfortunately I don't have any more individual asset breakdowns since I left Arena a year and a half ago. As far as the team divide, it used to be more segmented but as time went on people started doing both map work and prop creation which I think is more fun anyway. Making individual props is fun but the real payoff is when you place them and bring the world to life.

The prototype team I was leading was sort of a bridge between concept and production so it was fun to experiment and try big ideas. The flip side of the coin is that a lot of it changed later in development so it's hard to see months work of work on an area scrapped. Overall a really fun experience though.
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • garmee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! The art of Guild Wars 1 and 2, especially the environments, have always been hugely inspiring to me, so having this look at the process is unbelievably cool. Thanks so much for sharing!
  • a.marlowe696
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a.marlowe696 polycounter lvl 5
    This is so awesome! Thank you so much for posting. From a student standpoint this really helps.
  • Nakedwooki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakedwooki polycounter lvl 7
    It is really awesome too see the behind the scenes of some of the awesome environments in the game. Really awesome work.
  • jStins
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing!