Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Riuthamus

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
riuthamus polycounter lvl 11
Texturing work for a low poly gorgane model. The project is to create a handpainted theme. Suggestions are welcomed.

gorgane_full3.png

gorgane_001.jpg

Replies

• riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more time while being deployed and figured I would show what I have so far

gallery_1_371_157129.png
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Think about ur shape holistically, volumetrically.

Ogre.gif

- Put an initial layer that excludes the drop shadows (=background color)

- Put a 2nd layer on the planes that face the light source (radial forms get a bit more gradient)

- Add core shadows

- Add highlights

If u'r unable to perceive the drawing as volumes and forms, get back to the basics and study them, it's more important than making smooth smudges!
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your version is certainly interesting, but looks more like plastic skin than it does realistic lighting. I do like where you placed some of the highlights and the way that it focus on the more edge based features.... ill go at it again here shortly. Thanks for the advice and taking the time to post.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    U'r looking at it superficially. The main point is form and planes, regardless of the material properties I gave it. U can render things matte or shiny, the light hits the same form. Establish the form first, break it down to planes properly, and then manipulate the light properties as u see fit

Thanks for listening
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A thing I think could help with the issues your having is to utilize draw through on the character when you're designing it. This will give you a much better understanding of how the shape is working in 3D space at the earliest stages of production. Setting yourself up for success. I know you're familiar with this term because I was in the military several years ago.

I will say that I like the silhouette you have going on in the turn around. which is a very nice start...but it's only a start. And unfortunately you lost that when you started modeling. You had something really really cool going on man. I think it may be because you started modeling from a bust and then drew out the body...which isn't a good way to work. That's just how I see based on your progressive posting.

The only note I really have on that is that the head looks too skinny from the front, but that profile is bitchin'. Maybe bend the legs in the profile a little or indicate the joint more in silhouette. But that's just me saying that last bit because I'm design side.

I know it must be a drag to hear this, but I think you should start over from that turnaround you did and try to really capture what you created. It's nice. You could always pull through and finish this one maybe have it as a different class of warrior and what not, then go back and try to make your guy looks more like the concept in the future. I would honestly recommend starting again to push yourself.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The first one, was more or less just me having some guy put out a concept. After that I did exactly what you, and others have suggested, focus on the silhouette. After doing that i realized i could gain so much more from the model... and thus the drawing you see after the model, and first drawing, was created. From there we finished that version ( model wise ) and are now working on the head.

The head you saw in the profile/front was just a placeholder so he could get an idea of where the stitching was going to occur.

gallery_1_371_213369.png

We are by no means done with this, so any and all suggestions you have are appreciated. I am still learning a lot about all of this so anything that can help with that is good as well.

One more quick edit before bed, keep in mind i am doing this with a mouse... i dont have my drawpad yet. Cintique 24" comes in next month or so!

gallery_1_371_51796.jpg
  • Elijah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, that shape looks much better. I'm assuming someone may rig this character in the future or that your practicing low poly for gaming.

You may want to ask some game modelers about the geo; looks like there's too much going on where the shoulders connect to the torso. You could get some nasty creasing depending of the character range of movement.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcneal_e wrote: »
    Nice, that shape looks much better. I'm assuming someone may rig this character in the future or that your practicing low poly for gaming.

You may want to ask some game modelers about the geo; looks like there's too much going on where the shoulders connect to the torso. You could get some nasty creasing depending of the character range of movement.

Well, there are several things in motion here. The model itself is done by another guy. Im still learning how to model as most of my experience comes from 2d art with websites. I just started adventuring into 3d design with characters and all the things needed to make concept art! The other guy who did make it noted the same thing so he was reworking the mesh ( since that time he has had some personal issues ) so im more or less just working on the head and fleshing out possible looks for these beasts.

Some background that might help to understand the shape and form of these creatures. They are made from rock and flesh. Mutations of dwarves they are some of the worlds strongest creatures. Sadly, they are about as dumb as a rock as well so they are mostly a slave race to the dwarven nation. These creatures stand 3x as tall as a human and the very earth they walk upon quivers as they step.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_172999.jpg

fixed lighting, what are your thoughts now?
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_636215.jpg

So, did some more line work... i really like where this is going and i am enjoying the process.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_69978.jpg
    gallery_1_371_65672.jpg

These are the images of my WIP for our games Catapult. I have some other models I am working on as well.

gallery_1_371_152675.jpg

Human 001

gallery_1_371_4072.png

The models were done by Eric ( or model guy ) and I just did some small touchups on them. I will be texturing them in the weeks to come. Figured I would keep this place semi updated in case anybody wanted to drop some pointers!
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_227088.jpg

This is a bit more detail. Almost done as I just need to redo the stone parts!
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_57045.jpg

Final version of the catapult!
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    You hand drawn textures on your catapult have a nice subtle feel to it, its nice, great stuff
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, I am glad that somebody actually commented and liked it! :P I thought i was all alone here!
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Yedp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yedp polycounter lvl 7
    Hey riuthamus, cool cyclope you got there but I have to say the shape of the arm is a bit confusing to me, even if this is "stylised anatomy" it looks like the shoulder doesn't exist or goes all the way down to the elbow.

I did a quick paintover because my english isn't very good sorry

tsoo.jpg

Here some reference for arm if you need more details:

tumblr_mjcw02U8Ml1s1qlqio4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjcw02U8Ml1s1qlqio3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mjcw02U8Ml1s1qlqio2_1280.jpg

Hope this helps, I'm not too good with anatomy myself so I can't tell you much, the rest looks nice to me, and great job on the catapult texture it looks really cool!
    Keep up the good work, hope to see more from you :)
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, ill take that into consideration and look at how it could be improved. Thanks
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gallery_1_371_22490.jpg

This is what I came up with, to incorporate what you said while keeping the cartoon/style look i want. Thanks for the advice as I like what it ends up being now.
  • Madvillain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the cyclops guy sketch, the only thing that bothers me is the legs, they're too short. I know you're going for a cartoony style but the legs need to be a bit longer cause now they look a tad off.

Apart from that, really liking your catapult textures they have a very cool feel to them. keep it up! :D
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words, ill take a look at the legs but they fit what I want for now. I might be able to go for a look you are saying and still grasp what I want, so I will mess with it later tonight and see. Again thanks for the comments as they certainly help to bring the art together.
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Model work is being done on the cyclops now, gorgane texture is under proces!

gallery_1_371_605819.png
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just added a turnstyle version of the model!

Cant seem to get youtube to show up...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8OuC5dykw&feature=youtu.be
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while since I posted to this, so I will leave these here!

gallery_1_2_396107.jpg
    gallery_1_2_640911.jpg
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • riuthamus
    Options