Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• itsmadman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    did you check if you freeze the transformations?

are you using maya? i got a problem once that i resolved using the hipergraph hierarchy

selected my bone, pressed f and cleaned all the bind poses and skin clusters, then reskinned

what was happening was in the modeviewer my bone was turning 180 degrees in one axys and moving a little in the x, that was caused by previous skinning that the freeze transformations and delete history wasnt able to clear

TY u so much but now the model seems to just float in the air. I think freezing the animation helped keep the model on track with the skeleton for rotations thou. I'm not much of an animator. but what could make the model float over the character when obviously it was binned on top of it
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Started messing around with some concepts for a set of bracers for Nevermore. I find he could be a rather difficult hero to design for, due to his limited color palette and the fact that he's covered in spikey bits and awkward angles...should be fun! I've always kind of thought of him as some sort of dark djinn who's off collecting souls for some evil master...thus, the bindings.

fncND.jpg

@Josh/Rayfire - There's a book called Vertex 1 located here and along with my suggestions for reccommended reading here should help you both out quite a bit. Also, don't be afraid to use our on-site wiki; it's packed full of useful articles and archived posts.

Thanks so much!
  • ArchoX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are test servers working for you guys?
  • WarlockPsychologist
    Submitted my ES set. It is still a WIP so it may not be technically done until I can properly submit it when ES is made available on the workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95569246

espromo.jpg
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    @Tvidotto - cheers for the workshop feedback and thumbs up :). Looking forward to seeing your next project taking shape.

@Graze - a bit of both really. If your item is voted up, selected and implemented you receive a percentage of sales.

@Josh21 - think of the mask images as four black and white images stacked on top of eachother. If your using photoshop check the channel tab (nexto layers).

@crazyone - im a fan, has had my thumbs up for a while now :).

@Josh21 - my preference would be for B depending on how the small yellow striped read at game res.

@WarlockPsychologist - looking good, i particularly like the horns and wrists.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick render of the model and particle in SFM. I'll try to get Pugna in there with him holding the weapon and with particles on, they are emitting in the wrong direction now. But you get the picture, now i just have to figure out how to try this ingame. It should work with some editing of the scripts. I'll let you know if i can make it work.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt2f7Z3ohKs&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt2f7Z3ohKs&hd=1[/ame]
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, those horns and wrists are looking badass!
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lennyagonny - commented on the workshop and thumbed up =]

@frump - i think strange too, lanny´s axe set is too good for the number of views

---
    guys, im trowing some random ideas but im not happy with them.. im using a modified version of my last courier just as a base

the idea was an armored wolf-like creature
    YrcPw.jpg

i think i will trash this idea..

Hey! Why not make that into a robot wolf/dog steampunk style or something? I think that could work.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    Josh21 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response! I am still very new to texturing in general. I will try to work on it more. Do you know where I can find a tutorial on how to paint the mask1/mask2 files?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_pTAxfvKwc"]From Maya to Dota 2 - YouTube[/ame]

minute two i think
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArchoX wrote: »
    Are test servers working for you guys?

nop. For about 3 weeks

Submitted my ES set. It is still a WIP so it may not be technically done until I can properly submit it when ES is made available on the workshop.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=95569246

i was following this project on the facepunch, strangelly people there where giving good crits and not fighting each other =]

it improved a lot, congrats
    Paskie wrote: »
    Did a quick render of the model and particle in SFM. I'll try to get Pugna in there with him holding the weapon and with particles on, they are emitting in the wrong direction now. But you get the picture, now i just have to figure out how to try this ingame. It should work with some editing of the scripts. I'll let you know if i can make it work.

where you did this render?
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, Paskie is on the right track for sure with the particles and now he's got me poking around the scripts to see what we have to work with. There is a script, itemtest_qc_template, which contains what seems to be the base .qc file they're using when compiling items into the in-game viewer. Now the question will be whether or not we can use variables, or if we have to generate a new template with each item we wish to test, but I'm thinking it's just a matter of adding some code to this template and voila, items with particles working in-game.

Code like this...
    $keyvalues
    { 
    	particles
    		{
    			effect
    			{
    				name                 "ogre_magi_weapon_torchLit_fire.pcf"
    				attachment_type		follow_attachment
    				attachment_point	torch_fire
    			}
    		}
    }

I'm going to play with it some more today and see what I can dig up. All else fails I'll just write my guide using the SFM to view particles on your items, which would be a bummer since I don't think it renders the mask textures properly, but it's better than nothing.

-EDIT- Ok, particles or not this has major implications for us. I have tested it and while I have been unable to get particles working in game, I have proven that by editing the 'itemtest_qc_template.txt' located under dota/scripts we are able to successfully compile items using custom code within the test client.

After adding the necessary qc code to the template and compiling my test weapon, while I did not get particles, I managed to make use of the custom code. After de-compiling the .mdl that was produced through the use of the in-game tool I was able to discover the following within the generated .qc file.
    $cd "K:\Users\Mark\Documents"
    $modelname "items/ogre_magi/0x010a1b72/weapon_ogre_magi_torchlit/weapon_og"
    $model "default" "weapon_ogre_magi_torchlit.dmx.smd"

$cdmaterials ""
    $hboxset "default"
    $hbox 0 "weapon3_0" -16.078  -106.722  -23.156  17.087  61.154  10.440
    [B][I]$attachment "torch_fire" "weapon3_0" 0.00 -94.00 -7.00 rotate -0.00 0.00 0.00[/I][/B]
    $surfaceprop "default"
    [B][I]$keyvalues  { particles { "effect" { "name" "ogre_magi_weapon_torchLit_fire.pcf" "attachment_type" "follow_attachment" "attachment_point" "torch_fire"  }  } } [/I][/B]
    $illumposition 27.046 122.143 22.541
    $sequence ref "ref" fps 30.00

That is proof of concept as far as I'm concerned. By editing the template we can now make use of, at the very least jiggle bones, more advanced features that the engine supports, but the in-game tool has yet to allow. I'm hesitant to say that couriers may also be testable in this fashion as well. If I can find a way for the tool to recognize the .pcf (particle) files then in-game particle testing should also work.

As I discover more I'll let you know.
  • Josh21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

oh my god thank you so much you are awesome.
  • RaYfIre
  • RaYfIre
  • crazyone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyone polycounter lvl 5
    gDphq.png
    sickle for lone druid
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto, i made it in Source Filmmaker and the particles in the particle editor in Source Filmmaker.

I know that you have to have the particles registered in the particles_manifest.txt for it to work in the engine, don't know if it's works the same way in Dota 2.

Rayfire and Crazyone, that is some good looking items you have there!

Mark! Awesome work on the scripts! I think we are on to something here :D
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Tvidotto, i made it in Source Filmmaker and the particles in the particle editor in Source Filmmaker.

I know that you have to have the particles registered in the particles_manifest.txt for it to work in the engine, don't know if it's works the same way in Dota 2.

Thx man. how do i test my item in-game dota 2 test?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

im feeling dumb, i could not make any of the dota particles work on the SFM particle system...
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so I finally got past the export issue... or so I thought.

b3ZBN.png

On the plus side, it seems the maps all loaded properly, but now I have displaced armaments. With any luck, I could have this on the shop by the weekend!
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay! dota 2 test updating! finally

edited

it connects again!!!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice horns Starcofski,

As for the floating, did you reset the xform on the horns?
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony wrote: »
    Nice horns Starcofski,

As for the floating, did you reset the xform on the horns?

Yes, the current iteration (after following all suggestions in the thread) have the horns floating in the torso. Once I get this dealt with I can figure out a way to reduce the amount of reflection that the material is giving off (way too grey, the material is a flat black right now in an attempt to make the horns match the rest of the body). Below is what I have post-Xforms reset.

hIpaI.png
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Starcofski - ok what may help is if you move the pivot of the horns with Affect Pivot Only, make sure its located at 0.0, then reset your xform.

If that doesnt do the job then it may just be a problem with the rig.

@crazyone - nice sickle!

@Paskie - particles are looking great, increasing the size of the effect would look even better from game perspective im thinking.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay! dota 2 test updating! finally

edited

it connects again!!!

Hey Tvidotto, what do you use the test client for? i get the impression im missing a piece of the puzzle with this one.
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Lenny I thought it was a rig issue, however there are two other head pieces currently in the workshop which have gotten the placement successfully.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im feeling dumb, i could not make any of the dota particles work on the SFM particle system...

I followed this https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particle_System_Overview + Cyborgmatts Setupguide for SFM and went on from there. I'm going to make some more particles and do some more testing, need those awesome lightningeffects ^^

Lenny, i agree. Need to scale that one up. I wonder if it works to have two different particleeffects on one item, i think it said so in the documentation.

@Rayfire, i have not tried that yet, but i guess you start a game in the testclient and equip your item there. Maybe Tvidotto could answer that one.

Made another render with a stripped Pugna ^^
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NIdJu5ygs&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NIdJu5ygs&hd=1[/ame]
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starcofski wrote: »
    @Lenny I thought it was a rig issue, however there are two other head pieces currently in the workshop which have gotten the placement successfully.

Did a quick test and have a test object aligning ok at this end,

Its getting pretty late here but i will have time to do a small guide tomorrow. Just to confirm your using 3dsmax?, importing .smd files and exporting .fbx?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tvidotto, what do you use the test client for? i get the impression im missing a piece of the puzzle with this one.

im used to compile my models the old way, couriers are not possible on the dota compiler and even if i could a see a lot of people complaining about it that i dont thrust =]

so i compile and replace any in game model, in my case i replace the donkey

its how i did this one
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqEJ2jFRT2M&hd=1"]Silly Dragon new texture - YouTube[/ame]
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im used to compile my models the old way, couriers are not possible on the dota compiler and even if i could a see a lot of people complaining about it that i dont thrust =]

so i compile and replace any in game model, in my case i replace the donkey

its how i did this one
    Silly Dragon new texture - YouTube

ohk thx. so i sh copy the folder after i compile the model in workshop.and just replace it in test client .
    1)say i wanna test a PA weapon , so i sh replace only the weapon under models/heroes/pa/....
    ?
  • RaYfIre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    one more question iv removed dota 2 test when i 1st got into beta . how do i download it again?
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaYfIre wrote: »
    ohk thx. so i sh copy the folder after i compile the model in workshop.and just replace it in test client .
    1)say i wanna test a PA weapon , so i sh replace only the weapon under models/heroes/pa/....
    ?

yep, the default weapon last time i checked used to stay at the hero´s folder, the other ones stays on the items folder

on the steam library panel you can download it again like any other steam game
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did a quick test and have a test object aligning ok at this end,

Its getting pretty late here but i will have time to do a small guide tomorrow. Just to confirm your using 3dsmax?, importing .smd files and exporting .fbx?

That is correct. This morning I tried altering the model at the polygon level and reapplying UVs and the Skin, got this; http://i.imgur.com/52eTl.png now I just have to figure out how to turn it and redo ALL the UVs.
    EDIT: Nevermind, it's back in the body again. All the other stuff is facing similar misplacement issues as well. I have a feeling that it isn't just the geometry or even the rig.
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    I followed this https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Particle_System_Overview + Cyborgmatts Setupguide for SFM and went on from there. I'm going to make some more particles and do some more testing, need those awesome lightningeffects ^^

Lenny, i agree. Need to scale that one up. I wonder if it works to have two different particleeffects on one item, i think it said so in the documentation.

@Rayfire, i have not tried that yet, but i guess you start a game in the testclient and equip your item there. Maybe Tvidotto could answer that one.

Made another render with a stripped Pugna ^^
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-NIdJu5ygs&hd=1

I'd make your particle's decay faster. The complete circle looks a little wonky to me, because of how long the particles last. I'd either decrease the particle count or increase the rate of decay so that only 270-300 degrees show up at any given time.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    I'd make your particle's decay faster. The complete circle looks a little wonky to me, because of how long the particles last. I'd either decrease the particle count or increase the rate of decay so that only 270-300 degrees show up at any given time.

Thx for tips! I'll do that!
  • bn20
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whatda.png

Hey all.

What have I done wrong... I made the spear the same size as his default one from the fbx file in 3dsmax. scaling it bigger seems to have no effect on the size :/
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like a lot of items were added to the game. And a few Heroes were added to the requirements page. Pudge, Queen of Pain and Spirit Breaker were added to the requirements.

If you want to see which items were added, you can view this list of stuff called the "schema" which is updated each time they update it in the game files. Here's a link to the current schema. Search for whatever you compiled your items as and it might be there. :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i tested the courier in game but the alpha of the difuse texture is not working. Anyone have an idea what im doing wrong?
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Got my mesh finished for the cloak, and now I'm working on the textures. The design reads well from a distance. This is a rough color pass, so disregard the pixelation.

CloakPattern.jpg
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    Frump wrote: »
    It seems like a lot of items were added to the game. And a few Heroes were added to the requirements page. Pudge, Queen of Pain and Spirit Breaker were added to the requirements.

If you want to see which items were added, you can view this list of stuff called the "schema" which is updated each time they update it in the game files. Here's a link to the current schema. Search for whatever you compiled your items as and it might be there. :)

:o!

My Gondar set is in there :D!!!!

Edit: Well three of the items haha
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik

Nicely done Bronto!!
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im seeing a fair few people having problems with 3dsmax and Dota 2 import/exports, usually resulting in invisible or floating items.

I'm Hoping i can help a few people out by outlining my basic workflow here with 3DSmax .smd - .fbx import export steps.

In this example im using the obsidian destroyer, but the same basic principals apply with most characters.

1. - Import the supplied/desired .smd files. In this instance i imported the head and then body files, making sure to check Convert from left handed coordinate space checkbox.

smdimport01.jpg

resulting in this

smdimport02.jpg

2. Create your item (model, uvmap, bake etc) making sure to position the final item where desired. In this instance i deleted the skin modifier from the horns, deleted one horn and attached some ever so stylish cubes.

smdimport03.jpg

3. Now with your item selected position the pivot point at 0.0
    smdimport04.jpg

4. Reset the Xform

smdimport05.jpg

Right click on the modifier stack and Collapse All

smdimport06.jpg

5. Apply a Skin Modifier, Add any bones that will influence your model. In this instance i added the Head_1 bone only.

smdimport07.jpg

6. Now select your Model and any bones you added in the skin modifier.

smdimport08.jpg

7. Export selected

smdimport09.jpg

as .FBX (my FBX settings)
    smdimport10.jpg

8. and Finally import your .FBX in the Dota2 workshop.

smdimport12.jpg
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    giraffe!
    hRAiq.jpg

just a bad compilation but i needed to share =]]
  • Starcofski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Lenny THANK YOU!!!!
    2gwmT.png

Now to just deal with the odd discoloration. (stone material is too reflective and doesn't match the overall colors.) Prominently seen here http://i.imgur.com/JEWjG.png
    Anyone know which mask/channel I have to change to reduce the reflective amount or whatever it is?
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »

Finally! :thumbup:
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

NICE!!! Grats man!:thumbup:
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik wrote: »
    Got my mesh finished for the cloak, and now I'm working on the textures. The design reads well from a distance. This is a rough color pass, so disregard the pixelation.

CloakPattern.jpg

Hey! Nice cloak indeed, suits her well.
  • Paskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damnit! There are so many heroes now that i can't choose who to make an item for :)
    I guess i'll go with my favorite, Rhasta this time :)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    It seems my Lanaya armour set, and my coral sword for Kunkka got in :)
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    What better way to celebrate my Bounty Hunter items getting accepted than by adding a new item :D?
    lznmc.jpg
    Swords for Slithice
  • 07genics
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    07genics polycounter lvl 10
    What better way to celebrate my Bounty Hunter items getting accepted than by adding a new item :D?
    lznmc.jpg
    Swords for Slithice
    nice :thumbup: