Home Dota 2

Dota 2 - Workshop Thread

Replies

• Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tvidotto polycounter lvl 9
    img wrote: »
    Hello all! i'm new in 3d modeling, texturing, ammm... in cg =)
    But i already create 3d model lowpoly/high poly, make aomap and normal map, color map.(i follow this thread) but i dont get how create mask1 and mask2.. can someone explain.. or give me some link with guid. =)

mask 1 and 2 are like 8 maps, each one using one of the color channels of the mask

you can make it using photoshop and focusing on each channel

for example, if you make a square with the color 97 85 182 you are affecting 3 maps, the RED, the GREEN and the BLUE

to know what each map does you can look at
    http://www.dota2.com/workshop/requirements

"_mask1" is a 32-bit texture and every channel is used.
    Red is the detail map mask.
    Green is the diffuse and fresnel warp mask.
    Blue is the metalness mask which controls where the Color and Fresnel are suppressed.
    Alpha is the self-illumination mask, where the color is drawn from Color texture. Even if you are not using this, fill it with black and pixel of non-black in the corner of the material. This is done in order for texture compiler to keep this channel. If it is entirely black or white, it will be thrown out and the shader will think it's pure white and your item will be full bright.
    "_mask2" is 32-bit and again every channel is used.
    Red is spec intensity.
    Green is rimlight intensity.
    Blue is tint spec by base color. Please note that this is INVERTED. Black sets tint by base color; white uses specular color.
    Alpha is the scale factor of specular exponent from shader. For example, if the specular exponent is set to 16, then values for this channel of 0...255 will control exponent values from 0 to 16. Look at the hero's specular exponent number to get a good idea of what values to use in this channel for your item.

you will not be able to see the exact result of the maps unless you compile your model and test it on the dota 2 test client

i dont know why mine is not connecting to create a lobby, i deleted it and im dowloading it again to see if it fixes
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
    I just made a quick color test in the Offhand Dagger for Bounty Hunter. http://p3d.in/LMMeI
    Still very very WIP, just put together AO and some maps + base color en 5min, nothing finished yet.
    Any C&C? :D
  • Echelons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking for some critiques on my Naga weapon before the submission becomes available. http://p3d.in/5aYtX. This is my first completed weapon/3D model and there are still some things I need to fix-up etc.

@Soldeus I like the design of the weapon quite a lot, unique compared to the other BH submissions. If you don't mind me asking, how do you get the crisp raised edges for the red banding?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every detail is done with the Normal Map baked from a Highpoly I made in Zbrush.

3jMEw.jpg

You can follow this guide to bake normal maps from a high poly http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/how-to-bake-a-flawless-normal-map-in-3ds-max/ (This is the one I follow till I get it completely ^^)

You can find lots of Zbrush tuts in the Zbrush dev page www.pixologic.com and also some free tuts at www.digitaltutors.com that hopefully may help you starting with Zbrush :). If you have any doubt just ask, I'll answer if I can :P.

You can also make some simple Normal maps with nDo2(this is what I use for making easy&fast normals for simple items).
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Can't wait for Tvidotto's Owl courier. You know how much I love owls! For the courier name I suggest two names that rhyme ... like Cookie and Bookie but can't think of any now.

here is remake of my owly crossbow as a bow.

82F5D2C13D337886FCD0EA3DB3C7FBCB7215FA25
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soldeus wrote: »
    I just made a quick color test in the Offhand Dagger for Bounty Hunter. http://p3d.in/LMMeI
    Still very very WIP, just put together AO and some maps + base color en 5min, nothing finished yet.

Really good work I will pay for that Soldeus:) Did you modeled it in Max? I use Maya for Modelling but I am really considering to integrate Max to my Workflow... also if not a lot to ask can you put the Diffuse the Normal and Masks please that would be of great example on how to achieve this kind of results http://p3d.in/LMMeI :)

@Echelons Good starting. To be your first item you are going in the right direction, I am still amazed with your selection of colors, they make me krazy!!:poly142:

@Nemozini It seems that you are having issues with your Diffuse map or is that gray part intended? also the middle part looks fragile, Imagine the desing of the bow made to support 70lbs of pressure:thumbup:

good work fellas
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo that is a quick feedback thanks!... well the grey part is steel.. for close combat slashing action and tail is to protect her hand while doing so.

If the metal looks wrong then I have to do something about it I guess. Maybe I can make the two rods thicker too to make it less fragile.

Here is with in game lighting since I suck at rendering.

0BD92D8944057796D03FFCE6D13A2B3B4CDD3B95
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Nemozini :O I see dude jejej careful with that as it may be misinterpreted as a Diffuse map problem. Not sure how to land your Close Combat Idea ( Maybe Thickering the frontal part of the Bow, making spikes IDK ). But I say that it would be great if those circles have some volume as I unterstand them as the Eyes of the Owl. Maybe modeling the Spheres? or NormalMapping perhaps.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Tvidotto wrote: »
    @Frump - nice work man, really well made
    the sphere will be self iluminated? if yes you could bleed more of his blue color to the staff

Unfortunately, the $selfillum propery and map is just that, it makes those parts of the model ignore light and go fullbright/selfilluminated; it's not a true emissive, so you have to fake the glowing effect in the texture. It worked great on my mace because the green overlaid really well over grey, however fake blue glow doesn't show nearly as well. The blue glow is really strong in the map but barely shows up on the model.

I also updated the sphere to be a bit better.
    DB22E0A9CBECB8E0E1394203D5535299C7889995
  • ionic
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Sorry if this is a bit n00bish, haven't had the chance to read through the post yet (at work and don't get much time on the net.) Has there been anyway to import FBX files or similar to the model viewer, kinda like importing to UDK, or does it all have to be compiled with an external editor? I would've thought they would make export/importing a lot easier now. Thanks
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Frump ... might try to selfillum the owl eyes on the bow and see how it goes with blue colors.

Valve's Drow bow orbs ... have that faked glow in the textures in blue

I couldn't find anything in the mask ...correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Lennyagony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lennyagony polycounter lvl 14
    Torch wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a bit n00bish, haven't had the chance to read through the post yet (at work and don't get much time on the net.) Has there been anyway to import FBX files or similar to the model viewer, kinda like importing to UDK, or does it all have to be compiled with an external editor? I would've thought they would make export/importing a lot easier now. Thanks

Sure you can export .FBX straight to ingame editor. Its a relatively smooth process and worked like a charm for a 3dsmax workflow, I didn't haveto open a single editor or textfile.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    @Nemozini Yeah that's just the way they textured it, it's bright and painty.

Still working on this set. I kind of went off and made the staff while I was deciding how I wanted the cape and head pieces to look. Reasonably happy with how it's looking. Ready to move on to the low poly barring some crazy crits.

10jG6
  • WarlockPsychologist
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KrazyTaco wrote: »
    Really good work I will pay for that Soldeus:) Did you modeled it in Max? I use Maya for Modelling but I am really considering to integrate Max to my Workflow... also if not a lot to ask can you put the Diffuse the Normal and Masks please that would be of great example on how to achieve this kind of results http://p3d.in/LMMeI :)
    Yes, I use 3dsmax for modeling, Zbrush for sculping, TexTools for faster mapping in 3ds and photoshop + crazy bump for texturing.

As I said, diffuse is just a very early WIP but here it is :Dhttp://i.imgur.com/9TY1L.jpg , the normal isn't 100% perfectly baked, I'm still at the learning process in this stage http://i.imgur.com/Bm6lS.jpg , I will probably add more details on the normal with a crazy bump pass to make the stone look a bit crispier. No masks yet, working on them today ^^
  • Rik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rik
    Frump wrote: »
    @Nemozini Yeah that's just the way they textured it, it's bright and painty.

Still working on this set. I kind of went off and made the staff while I was deciding how I wanted the cape and head pieces to look. Reasonably happy with how it's looking. Ready to move on to the low poly barring some crazy crits.

Frump

Looking great so far! The stitches along the back of her cape are huge though, that's like a 3 inch X cross which seems more in line with Blizzard's disproportional style than that of DOTA2.

Also, the blue cloth wraps on the staff look just a tad darker than the light blue of her outfit. Not sure if its the diffuse color that's a little off or maybe your spec map/ spec settings
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but, it's the Workshop thread so I should be right.
    Anyway, I'm currently modelling a weapon for the Naga siren, I'm at the early stages of wip, and I wanted to open the Kunkka character on maya first because I feel it's a little easier to study.

Here come's the problem : when I opne the maya file on maya 2012, the model loads, but the texture won't, because of some scripts error, which refers to some plugins missing

This is the error output, I've posted it on pastebin so this post won't be a wall of text. http://pastebin.com/ekVvNkdB

My question is, where can I find the PVstFlexSliderNode.py, vsMaster.mll and vstUtils.mll files to download?
    If anyone knows, just write a simple answer and I'll be very thankful to you :)
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump wrote: »
    Unfortunately, the $selfillum propery and map is just that, it makes those parts of the model ignore light and go fullbright/selfilluminated; it's not a true emissive, so you have to fake the glowing effect in the texture. It worked great on my mace because the green overlaid really well over grey, however fake blue glow doesn't show nearly as well. The blue glow is really strong in the map but barely shows up on the model.

I also updated the sphere to be a bit better.

yep, i was thinking on your mace, the contrast of the fake light was awesome

the selfilum on the game will create a small glow around your sphere, probably that will help the fake glow
    Nemozini wrote: »
    Can't wait for Tvidotto's Owl courier. You know how much I love owls! For the courier name I suggest two names that rhyme ... like Cookie and Bookie but can't think of any now.
    hey, thanks!

i just discovered the mudbox software, its amazing for painting, i will be testing colors like hell today =]

its really good your model

some people will say "its too much straps" or "if you dont know what to do you add straps"

i like it but on the facepunch i already saw that type of comments =[
    Mamba91 wrote: »
    ok so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but, it's the Workshop thread so I should be right.
    Anyway, I'm currently modelling a weapon for the Naga siren, I'm at the early stages of wip, and I wanted to open the Kunkka character on maya first because I feel it's a little easier to study.

Here come's the problem : when I opne the maya file on maya 2012, the model loads, but the texture won't, because of some scripts error, which refers to some plugins missing

This is the error output, I've posted it on pastebin so this post won't be a wall of text. http://pastebin.com/ekVvNkdB

My question is, where can I find the PVstFlexSliderNode.py, vsMaster.mll and vstUtils.mll files to download?
    If anyone knows, just write a simple answer and I'll be very thankful to you :)

you can find those mdls on the source film maker folder, inside a folder called maya

btw, you dont need them if you just want to see the texture, you can just ignore those errors and decompile the textures using the studio compiler program, maya cant open the vtf files, but with studiocompiler you can covert it to a tga
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone knows why the dota 2 test dont find any server to create a lobby? i cant create a lobby since the start of the week =[
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im starting to get depressed when skinning things, seriously. Im using 3dsmax 2012. I work with decompiled models so, what I do is:

1. Put my model at the same place and size as the default model.(Model is in BindPose)
    2. Reset XForm to make sure scale and rotation are at 100%(1 in maya I think)
    3. Look the bones that the default weapon is skinned too.
    4. Skin modifier on my wep, in this case(bh dagger). Root_0 bone to 0 and L_weapon bone to 1.
    5. Select the weapon and export it as .fbx with the skin modifier (didn't collapse).

I think Im not doing anything wrong, but I'm finding lots of problems with the built-in tool. At first my model was floating in the air nowhere, then I got it to float near the hand(but not in place). Now its properly attached to the hand but its holding it by the wrong side. http://i.imgur.com/zHxCu.png I dont know what else to do, any idea? T_T

Do I have to align the Pivot Point from my weapon to the Pivot point of the default weapon?

The funny thing is that, when adding an animation file to the 3ds Max preview.(atack.smd for example) it works perfectly, so I think the problem is with the exporting maybe?

@Tvidotto yeah, I also read the comments about too much straps on weps, but I think straps really enhance a model texture so it doens't look boring, better than adding random scratches xD.
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyone knows why the dota 2 test dont find any server to create a lobby? i cant create a lobby since the start of the week =[

First of all, thx for the answer, I thought maya could open the vtf with the textures and then render the whole model with textures in it ^^

Btw mine isn't working too, maybe servers are down untill the end of the international
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mamba91 wrote: »
    First of all, thx for the answer, I thought maya could open the vtf with the textures and then render the whole model with textures in it ^^

Btw mine isn't working too, maybe servers are down untill the end of the international

i tested now, maya can open the vtf if you have the plugins loaded

there isnt a way to create an offline lobby???? this is annoying
  • Mamba91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i tested now, maya can open the vtf if you have the plugins loaded

there isnt a way to create an offline lobby???? this is annoying

oh, kay I'll test this night then.
    Unfortunately, Valve hasn't done the real offline version of Dota2 yet, with lan mode and all the stuff, so until the test servers aren't back online and working, you can't :|

edit : this is strange lol, now I can actually load the texture on the model, but the errors remain
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, i need your opinion about the textures

i was planning to do a more solid color texture but some people said that it was missing more details so i spent some hours detailing and changing colors over and over

its still wip, i didnt fix the bakes from the 3d, there is some black holes on the occlusion and some artifacts on the normal

here is the new color scheme
    JAF26.jpg

now the cat have more blue and some red on the botton, the same red is on the owl feathers

the texture details are oversized to be visible during the game

the green backpack is to get a better contrast with the blueish cat because in black and white they are almost the same gray

and here is some prints from maya as i cant use the dota test... i hope the cat dont get invisible at night

8dk2a.png
    6kiWp.png

thanks in advance for any critique/comment
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a darker golden brown instead of red for the owl. Like a barn owl
  • Ostrich Eater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello, I'm a 14 year old kid from Canada, with zero experience in this. I have just registered here in hopes of finding help. I have managed to create an item and have gotten mostly everything figured out, besides ''skinning''. I have had absolutely no luck on finding a tutorial on how to skin my item. I know it has something to do with the skeleton/bones, and if it helps I'm trying to skin my item to Pugna's back bone. Any help with this is very appreciated, and I would love it if I could get a detailed, step-by-step guide/tutorial on this. I have never done this before so do not be afraid to be basic. Thank you very much in advanced! :)
  • WarlockPsychologist
    Hello, I'm a 14 year old kid from Canada, with zero experience in this. I have just registered here in hopes of finding help. I have managed to create an item and have gotten mostly everything figured out, besides ''skinning''. I have had absolutely no luck on finding a tutorial on how to skin my item. I know it has something to do with the skeleton/bones, and if it helps I'm trying to skin my item to Pugna's back bone. Any help with this is very appreciated, and I would love it if I could get a detailed, step-by-step guide/tutorial on this. I have never done this before so do not be afraid to be basic. Thank you very much in advanced! :)

This is a great start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X5QGx2TP_8"]HellJumper's Blender 2.5 Modeling Tutorial for TF2 - YouTube[/ame]
  • LiselottePulva
    Got some problems in the Dota 2 viewer.

Do all animation works for you ? Some Animation looks are distroyed.

Example: axe "run" turns the head in the wrong direction. Or helix turns the hole charakter.
    But something like stand and attack looks right.

helm.jpg
  • Nemozini
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ check http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=52718 and post that picture on my thread so devs can see it
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, those red wing tips are killing it for me Tvidotto. Something about them just seems odd and I think they contrast against the rest of the owl's golden feathers a bit too much. Maybe de-saturate the color a bit, use it more sparingly (ie have some feathers red; break up the pattern so it isn't a block), add a gradient to help ease the two colors together, or just shift the hue to be closer to the golden yellow of the rest of the owl. As Nemozini said, maybe use something closer to a burgundy rather than a pink.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a darker golden brown instead of red for the owl. Like a barn owl
    thanks man, im going to a texture more like this one =]
    Mark.N wrote: »
    Hmm, those red wing tips are killing it for me Tvidotto. Something about them just seems odd and I think they contrast against the rest of the owl's golden feathers a bit too much. Maybe de-saturate the color a bit, use it more sparingly (ie have some feathers red; break up the pattern so it isn't a block), add a gradient to help ease the two colors together, or just shift the hue to be closer to the golden yellow of the rest of the owl. As Nemozini said, maybe use something closer to a burgundy rather than a pink.

a friend told me the same

he said that im attracting the atention to the wrong parts

im desaturating the red and trying to draw more attention to the cat´s head

thanks for the help! =]
  • LiselottePulva
    ^ check http://dev.dota2.com/showthread.php?t=52718 and post that picture on my thread so devs can see it

Hey Noemozini, ok - i will post the screenshot there.
    Did you know if this a problem for involve the content in the game ?Maybe its a problem with the headbone.
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Ostrich Eater

It is good that you are starting young. 3D is the future. The only problem is health issues concerning sitting for so long. I suggest you not spend your entire life on a computer. That goes for everyone on this board.

@ Tvidotto

You are getting there. I still suggest using grays and whites and blacks to define your colors. White around the ankles and a shade of orange for the feet. Brown around the eyes. Use colors like borders to highlight the natural shapes. I think you can add some modeling work to the ankles to create separation. Anyway, keep at it.
  • Calcifer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys.
    Just wondering if you have been using the dota 2 texture guide. It advices Point Map Lighting. I found the guide quite vague, so I am looking for suggestions. Did you use it and how did you set it up?

Is the setup different for each set/item or is there some default layout?
  • LordTrygve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordTrygve polycounter lvl 8
  • LordTrygve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordTrygve polycounter lvl 8
    I have a question about binding items to the hero. When I have a weapon created and I want to smooth bind it to the proper bone, I get an error saying, "//Error: Skin on weapon3_0 was bound at a different pose. Go to the bindPose to attach new skins." How do I switch between poses?
  • RREYGUN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello,
    Ive been trying to make an item for dota. I have all my geos, high and low poly. Though i am stuck where they ask for file size like 256x128. I dont know how people are baking their maps (like normal map) in a 2x1 ratio.
    I started a thread in the technical talk maybe you guys can enlighten me with some stuff that I maybe overlooking.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104793
  • shpongle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,

All I got ;
    Models in offical dota 2 workshop.
    Autodesk MAYA
    Photoshop

Can i make models without steam & dota 2 ?
  • Xpload
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What software are you using?
  • SinAmos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calcifer

If you read the whole forum, you will find your answer, but I'll give you the easy Maya version. Set up three point lights. Change their intensity and use the light view on your view port to get good shading. Set your render to Mental Ray and set it to production value. Go to RENDER menu. Under Lighting/Shading Assign -Create New Texture Bake Set. Batch Bake (mental ray) - this override is going to supplant all texture bake set settings, so don't set those. Just focus on this mental ray override. You can do your occlusion maps and your 3 point light maps in this menu. You want to choose light and color and make sure that the phong or lamber or blinn you use is set to white. Use bake set override checked. Orthogonal reflection checked and Bake to one map checked.

RREYGUN

256/256 on Zbrush, which then can be scaled in photoshop without too many problems. If you find seams, you can extend the UV border to 8, but I think you should be fine. There are no reasons for seams in any 3D finished product. Maya can export to 256/128. I don't suggest exporting larger 2048X2048. It just isn't worth the effort to fix their seams in my opinion.
  • MaVCArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaVCArt polycounter lvl 8
    268x268.resizedimage

just submitted my second sword :)

feedback is appreciated ofcourse, but I've called this done and am not planning on any more edits, so any feedback will go towards my next item. will probably make an armour piece next
  • HsoulT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wondering if anyone has submitted any items made in Blender and had them accepted?
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished my first item, its gonna be the first of a set for Bounty Hunter. Hope you like it ^^

268x268.resizedimage
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13
    I updated my Crimson Cut-Throat set :D

dceaI.jpg

Most people really didn't like the old mask so I completely re-did it as well as tweaking all of the other pieces.

Enjoy!
  • KrazyTaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished my first item, its gonna be the first of a set for Bounty Hunter. Hope you like it ^^

268x268.resizedimage

Nice piece!!! jejej hey man can you please upload the masks? if it is not much to ask I really love how the reflections act and i would like to know how you ahcieved that :P

@Bronto
    Nice update man I really like it
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calcifer wrote: »
    Hi guys.
    Just wondering if you have been using the dota 2 texture guide. It advices Point Map Lighting. I found the guide quite vague, so I am looking for suggestions. Did you use it and how did you set it up?

Is the setup different for each set/item or is there some default layout?

the point map light is a texture baked from a lightmap ilumating the model

im not at home now so probably i will forget something, but basically you add a light to the scene, preferencially a little over the middle of the character and create others for other angles (i create just one and animate it for 4 or 5 frames)

is better if you try to get your light defining the detail of your model and you will place it a little over the center of the model to not iluminate a part that will be shaded by your gradient (explained on the guide too)

put a shader in your model with a neutral gray

then in maya you go to render
    then something like mental ray, batch bake mental ray

select to bake to one map, light only

and you will get your baked light, then you do to the other lights or frames
    ---

your model need to have the normalmap applied and uvs already set

on maya 64 the light bake got some artifacts, and i found on a forum that was a problem with every 64 bits, so for light bake i use the 32 version
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can also make use of the different channels of a 'Bent Normal Map' (I bake mine with xNormals along with my other maps) to get some shading that comes from the various axis'. I tend to use my Green Channel (top-down lighting) with medium opacity on Multiply and Soft Light to help accentuate the AO bake.
  • Tvidotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mark.N wrote: »
    You can also make use of the different channels of a 'Bent Normal Map' (I bake mine with xNormals along with my other maps) to get some shading that comes from the various axis'. I tend to use my Green Channel (top-down lighting) with medium opacity on Multiply and Soft Light to help accentuate the AO bake.

awesome Mark, thanks for the idea, i tested and its great

i also find that tecnique on this awesome ebook, a "must read"
    http://www.artbypapercut.com/
  • Mark.N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, everyone needs to read Vertex 1 specifically the articles written by:

Jon Fletcher on Stylized Painted Textures ( p.47 )
    Hai Phan's article Avian Defender - Diffuse Only Model Workflow Analysis ( p.118 )
    Ben Mathis' Color Theory ( p.156 )
    Old School - Hand Painted Textures by Tamara Bakhlycheva ( p.256 )
    Sam Yang's Diablo - zBrush Tips & Tricks ( p.7 )
    Michael Vincente's zBrush4R2 - zBrush Sculpting Tips & Tricks ( p.190 )

These are all extremely well written and very relevant to the work being done in this thread. The entire book is chock full of insanely useful information for both amateurs and professionals alike and is very much worth the read.