Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    Just a bit of fun coz I got bored............ really bored.

mrpolycount.jpg
  • laperen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    laperen polycounter lvl 11
    was an attempt to make a dehumanised human of brainiac until i found out it conflicted with the character's continuem and original purpose etc etc, just showing my effort i guess
    stands at 1584 tris using a 256X256 pixel texture
    pt1.png
    pt2.png
    pt3.png
    pt4.png
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    laperen: seems like a waste of texture space if you aren't detailing it more than that. you could easily get that lvl of detail on a 128. just sayin. :D
  • lean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lean polycounter lvl 5
    laperen: I disagree with crash. I really like the dittering you did, and you wouldn't get the same effect with a 128 texture, so I do see the point in working with your actual texture size.

duncan
    : really nice!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    can we see the flats laperen?
  • Leyto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leyto polycounter lvl 7
    @duncan Seeing it, you can be as bored as you wish ! :poly124:
    I love the gorillaz/Jamie Hewlett feeling in your model !
  • humdinger5714
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    humdinger5714 polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys/gals...anyone looking for a challenge? Would love to see a high-quality, low-poly mechanic 700 polys or less, photo realistic texturing....and if it's really that good I would even pay you for it!
  • duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    hehe thanks guys.

I done a Reco.

recohat.jpg
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    So I managed to clean up whatever issues I had with the UVs, etc. Smoothed out the nose geometry, and now have dumped it into one of the generic UDK default scenes.

I'm not sure what to do right now to make a proper in-game render of this in UDK from here, and I'm an absolute noob to the editor. The whole intention for the model was to be placed in a cartoon-ish render, so I don't know how to go about that so I can get this into a comp. board for a portfolio thing. If anyone can help, thank you!

EDIT: THE NOSE STILL LOOKS FUNKY!!!

falconInterceptor%2520WIP6.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Jade,

That's basically an in game render. There really isn't a 'cartoony renderer', You just have to set up lighting/materials to give the effect you want.

You could make Doom3 look like Ponies if you wanted.

I can't give you specifics for UDK but I'm sure there are tuts at their forums. Depends what you want, cel shading, flat lighting, no shadows, etc... Those are all things that look more cartoony than what you have atm, and easy to do (at least the shadows bits).

The nose cone is probably a smoothing groups thing. But if you turn off shadows you won't see that at all. So don't bother with smoothing if you go no shadows anyway.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    :poly124:Gah Duncan that's awesome!
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    EP1Q1.jpg
    working on this
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You're probably better off using an alpha-plane for the rotors, right now they're taking up 100 triangles which would be better spent elsewhere. Rounding out the windshield for instance...
  • Oleg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg polycounter lvl 14
    hmm yeah I was also thinking about it , it would save some and I would also be able to add some motion blur effect on it. I will defiantly go for it. Thanks :)
  • cloudkookoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cloudkookoo polycounter lvl 6
    Noob here with some hand painted texture practice.
    shortsword.png
  • [SF]Three9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg that thing is super cute :D

Cloud that's looking awesome...feel like the handle could use more color
  • cloudkookoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Three9 Thanks man, your Armadillo Barbarian is amazing. One of my favorites.
  • wo262
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wo262 polycounter lvl 4
    quick model. about 600 tris. 256x map
    satan_by_wo262-d4w8oqu.gif
  • Darvokan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing some practicing, but I still need to learn more about texturing.
    Anyway, this is a sword I've made. My painting skills are very bad so I rely on photos with manipulation and paintover.

mC9Ll.gif
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    887 triangles. Used a lot to add in the details that would otherwise be textured (suit parts and possibly the sponge holes).

Texture is currently 4x4

Obviously it is not finished. It will be hard to keep it under 1k triangles but I will do what I can with it.

IGNyE.png
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    132 polys, 512x512 texture.

I feel like I could be doing something more with the concrete texture. What do you guys think?

TorchWithTexture02.jpg

Torch-Diffuse-test-03.jpg
  • cloudkookoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Modeled some shoulder armor, I didn't use a reference so I'm not sure how well it'll fit onto a model, but I think they look alright.
    shoulderarmor.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got this rendered in UDK! (After wrestling the WHOLE weekend with the Editor)

falconInteceptor%2520Comp.jpg

Any critiques or thoughts?

@Wo262 TEACH ME YOUR WAYS! THAT LOOKS FREAKING SICK!
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JadeEyePanda - I still don't understand why you have all that extra geometry down the nose and across the canopy, and your wings still have bevels on them that don't do anything for the silhouette.

What platform did you have in mind with making this? If it's mobile, then the extra geometry doesn't make sense, and the texture is far too large to be useful, but if it's for pc or console then why the low-poly?
  • GabrielP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GabrielP polycounter lvl 7
    Weirdboy: you really need some color variation in your shadows.

JadeEyePanda: why all the unneeded edges on the nose?
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    JonConley wrote: »
    887 triangles. Used a lot to add in the details that would otherwise be textured (suit parts and possibly the sponge holes).

Texture is currently 4x4

Obviously it is not finished. It will be hard to keep it under 1k triangles but I will do what I can with it.

IGNyE.png

So, I can understand the extra geo for the wavy silhouette, but why cut out the spongy holes? The way they indent, they don't effect the silhouette at all and if you rig this for animation I could see those making deformations quite difficult.
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    Agree with praetus, they'd be rounder as a texture (unless you're going for a really low res texture) and you could spend the extra polys on making the body a bit better for deformations.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    he wants to use a single pixel as color information, so any time you want something a different color it needs to be cut out with polies.
  • tucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Last months I've been posting here a lot of lowpoly models for Tower Defense Wars, a tower defense game for Android which has released today :D

The game is still an open beta but it is already fully playable, you can see the first screenshots here and visit the game page on the link below

Tower Defense Wars

VRTKadTRCObTsK6UWNOGfBhp58OgMi6dt9I_jAty2thNLZfqp9GjUDVIhfmtXpBwYdQ

J7w0bTSkVogLcBzx2vkryhHy7HTO8kqD6y0jaOpigyoRXv1z-pt9bvhqXVaZaePP4vM

RA7Hn4FApXqWG2jbWV_4lO4LfO05wFPDvZnNNouoU_jS22WXQBUdDxZgY_RjF-D04Q

0xZUKd7dS8-tLA61DVaNlMaDFVc_ptwsfsba5W-qWzTj1ICwbQVTUbWEGSzYSXS0ULo

g4P1wQsCez_6HdSRyWi6A_vplL_DwvB29sOaG5pjrePMIRDYvqhsH3GUZkr2l6NTrmcK

5S30sO9zAq2BJYcatXYWVvKLFyqmjzZo13oaQz_4wSan5VxDtpvDV_V0UKvbFm22_voG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QuNxaeeHSCQ
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    @Weirdboy,
    Right now i think the concrete just reads as a squished up ball of clay. I think the flat surfaces need to be more flat, and the edges a bit chipped.

The metal panels need some bevels painted on, and get rid of the dark grey lines.
    Right now the highlights look like the start of some good bevel work, but it doesn't carry through the whole piece. (highlights, shadows, mids).
    The dings on the edges look good, but then they have the dark line across them which kills them.

-

@Jade,

I still think the shadows are killing the 'cartoonyness' of the piece. And the platform doesn't really do much personally. It doesn't fit with a jet... maybe add some tiny hangers so it looks like it's a mile below, not 2 feet below it.

-

With Spongebob, I think he is probably heavier than need be in polycount in some spots. But if the plan is to have him shaded then the geo for the nose, holes, tongue makes sense. But with such a flat palette he could probably just be full lit.

The holes modeled actually makes sense for deformation. You could float holes above the sponge, but if he bends it would be harder to not have clipping.

-

@cloud,

the model looks good, needs texture. Hard to say what it would fit, of course it could always be deformed/scaled a bit to fit any character really.
  • Weirdboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weirdboy polycounter lvl 5
    Baddcog wrote: »
    @Weirdboy,
    Right now i think the concrete just reads as a squished up ball of clay. I think the flat surfaces need to be more flat, and the edges a bit chipped.

The metal panels need some bevels painted on, and get rid of the dark grey lines.
    Right now the highlights look like the start of some good bevel work, but it doesn't carry through the whole piece. (highlights, shadows, mids).
    The dings on the edges look good, but then they have the dark line across them which kills them.

Thank you for the feedback. I was concerned if I had gotten carried away with the detail on the concrete.

I'm not sure I agree with your comment about the dark outlines on the metal. I wanted to make the metal panels look like they had been bolted together rather than just one big chunk of metal. I made the outlines thick because it's going to be a player sized object and the perspective is going to be top down (Think Diablo/League of Legends) so I wanted it to be more noticeable to the player when zoomed out. Do you think that if I lightened the color it would look better?
  • kruxus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oleg wrote: »
    EP1Q1.jpg
    working on this
    Snader wrote: »
    You're probably better off using an alpha-plane for the rotors, right now they're taking up 100 triangles which would be better spent elsewhere. Rounding out the windshield for instance...

This is a topic that is often brought up on reatime art boards. As far as I know 100 extra triangles is a lot better than introducing transparency on a texture. On all projects and engines I've worked with, overdraw from transparent materials has been one of the worst performance drains. Would be interesting to hear some more thoughs on this subject.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it can be costly. It depends on where and how you use it.

'overdraw from transparent materials has been one of the worst performance drains'
    This is highly dependent on the amount of layers and the bit-depth. Yes if you have a dozen foliage layers on top of each other it will be very expensive. Less if you only use 1-bit alpha (transparent or opaque). Less if you only have one layer. Least if you only have one layer and use 1-bit transparency.

I imagine this to be for a topdown-ish game like this
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0VYvAO0is0"]RAD Soldiers Teaser Trailer - iPad iPhone iPod Touch - YouTube[/ame]
    or like Starcraft / Command&Conquer
    where you have a very short draw distance compared to first-person games in which you see the horizon. This means that you can pretty accurately guess how many polygons and layers will be on screen at all times. Generally units will not be floating over eachother so you'd have 1 or 2 layers which isn't a huge performance hit.

I agree that sometimes it's better to spend the polygons, but given that this thing is only about 500 in total, it seems more like an RTS unit of which you have tonnes on screen and then those triangles add up. Also, I imagined that a unit like this could benefit from animated/swapping textures (you would have one texture that's sharp, when it's on the ground; and one that's blurry, when flying) which is something you can't really do with the geometry.

In the end, it comes down to the individual project, engine, specs and so forth. The ever-lasting "it depends".
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonConley polycounter lvl 8
    The goal is to have as minimal a texture as possible with Spongebob. Anytime I want a change in color there has to be some geometry there to do so. This causes a higher poly count but the texture as of now is only 4x4.

With this method though I don't believe I will be able to get him below 1k triangles. With holes on 2 sides and the legs he currently sits 1,457 triangles.

l9rLO.png
  • Sparr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sparr polycounter lvl 12
    Just thought I'd mention it here as well, but I have an ongoing animation project based off of evolution and children's drawings, and was wondering if anyone wanted to make an interpretive 3-D models (especially low-poly). I figured low-poly would be the most fun art style, considering the basic crayon nature of the originals.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8X-j0dbZWs"]Evolution! version:Patrick Henry School of Science and Art - YouTube[/ame]
    You can read more about the project here, http://evolutionanimation.wordpress.com

I've made a thread about it here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96507 and got a few interested people but not many models yet. If anyone's willing to help, I'd appreciate it, thanks! N8X-j0dbZWs
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Snader & kruxus - As i, possibly wrongly, understand it, alpha test is almost free - just one extra channel in the texture and just a few extra shader instructions. Is that not the case?
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Don't consider alpha test to be a guaranteed free, in fact for mobiles it's often more expensive than alpha blend.

On iOS and other OpenGLES devices you're going to get wayyyyyy better performance if you put in a few extra triangles than if you need to do any alpha testing or alpha blending. These handheld devices use a type of deferred rendering and you don't get any saving at all from alpha test - in fact it's generally *slower* than alpha blend, because the shader needs to do the alpha blend and then call a shader discard.
  • carlestenorio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yesterday suffering / enjoyment of a nice attack of nostalgia gamer ... and I remembered a great game of PSX ... the GREAT Medievil! And I decided to do a "remake" the main character ... so ...

The Galowmeere unbeatable hero has become! The GREAT knight Sir Daniel Fortesque !

Tris 3052! :)

BY THE POWER BLENDER!

Is that much more could have cleaned the Polycount ... for example, using cylinders 4, 5 or 6 faces to the extremities ... and and do the hand like a mitten ... but I liked how it turned out the modeling :)

380295_3745452448673_1647139009_2963362_581615051_n.jpg
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little wooden club, 28 poly and 128x256 texture, I'm trying to improve :P.low_poly_hand_painted_wooden_club_by_madgharr-d51v26r.jpg
  • Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For that texture size, you can afford more polygons, I'd either go for ~150/200 polys or a 64x128 texture.
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    1338485249716.jpg
    Im just doing the art.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tigerfeet wrote: »
    JadeEyePanda - I still don't understand why you have all that extra geometry down the nose and across the canopy, and your wings still have bevels on them that don't do anything for the silhouette.

What platform did you have in mind with making this? If it's mobile, then the extra geometry doesn't make sense, and the texture is far too large to be useful, but if it's for pc or console then why the low-poly?

I tried doing a method that someone earlier mentioned on the nose (definitely reduced triangle count) but it just looked too funny in the light. Taking a look at the released wireframes from the AirMech game, I did their version of the plane nose and it's causing less distress with lighting both in Maya AND UDK, and since I'm not trying to run this on an iPhone necessarily, I felt like I could push it. Unless I'm wrong ><

On that note, the assets intention is to be used in a high paced, frenetic shooter either in UDK or CryEngine with a fixed view. In another sense, it's also like a psuedo art-test for a game a friend of mine wants me to be an Art Director on (something I need advice for) so this was kind of like "I wonder if I could pump out a low-polyish game asset for this game and see if I can even make a good 3D asset.". It's not ridiculously high poly and only diffuse, etc, to constrain myself to the idea such assets would need to be mass produced by student game developers, etc.
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For that texture size, you can afford more polygons, I'd either go for ~150/200 polys or a 64x128 texture.

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried 64x128, it wasn't bad, as for the higher polycount, I'll try something next time :-).
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko - Sexy box, is it based on anything in real life? I feel the top and sides could do with some vents or lines or something to break it up. Also, some screen variations would be nice. Maybe you could make a separate sheet of say, 32x32s and have the other guy make a bit of code to randomly select a screen?

MadCarrot - I would say that a 64x32 might even be enough for something like this. Two unique sides and the other 2 instanced. What's your UVW map?

carlestenorio - did you read the title of the thread? Sub ~1000 triangles. Not to mention that you're just copy-pasting your post (it's the exact same as the WAYWO thread) just to get some extra praise or something.

spongebobexcited.gif
    JonConley - I'm torn. On one hand, refusing to use a decent texture is costing you massively, and it only looks worse in the end. Even right now at 1500 triangles you're missing his cheeks and lines around his mouth (p.s. mouth color shouldn't be black) and some other subtleties. On the other hand, not having the tie textured makes it so it scales nicely. You're going to need to add even more polies to get the outline effect on the nose and pants though. And you might be better off having the shoes as a very glossy material than having modeled-in highlights.

(oh by the way, you shouldn't use a texture for this at all, but just vertex painting)
  • mcunha98
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
  • Delko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delko polycounter lvl 15
    @Snader Its based off a VT100 terminal. I thought about adding vents to the side but I already added one on the front and I wanted to keep it somewhat clean like the original. For the screen we're going to do a Fallout 3 Style pop-up window to display info.
    This is still a WIP:
    terminalscreen.jpg
  • MadCarrot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    MadCarrot - I would say that a 64x32 might even be enough for something like this. Two unique sides and the other 2 instanced. What's your UVW map?

Well the uv's are mirrored, only 1 side is unique, I tried 64x32 but the render looks blurry and just ugly, unless I go to the unity3d and then it is just pixelated as hell with some random colour changes.