Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Uncharted 3 - Environment Art Dump - Anthony Vaccaro

Replies

• BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    As someone who is doing a lot of environment art at work right now, THANK YOU. This is really helpful and insightful. Is there an ETA on the Polycount Book, or an official thread somewhere?
  • LuCh!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    Awesome work! and what book exectly are you talking about?
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • R00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Major Kudos man! Great work Autocon :)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff!
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great stuff Anthony!
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    As someone who is doing a lot of environment art at work right now, THANK YOU. This is really helpful and insightful. Is there an ETA on the Polycount Book, or an official thread somewhere?
    Ryan? ETA? Where is it!!!! lol ;)
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    wow its really inspiring to see all these artwork. Hopefully one day i can work with you guys
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goal was end of this month but got hit with side jobs and work shit as well as waiting on a few edits. But FOR SURE BY THE END OF THE NEXT MONTH. I am shooting for way sooner though.
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    haha, awesome. Just giving you crap man ;) Seriously though, thanks for putting it all together. Gonna be epic!
  • BrendtheCow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goal was end of this month but got hit with side jobs and work shit as well as waiting on a few edits. But FOR SURE BY THE END OF THE NEXT MONTH. I am shooting for way sooner though.

You, sir, are a badass, and so are all of the contributors! :D
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work Anthony. This was one of the levels which I enjoyed the most in Uncharted 3. One thing is a few typos on your site, not a massive deal but a shame to see considering the quality of the work :) I'll stop being an ass now.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Whoa.

This is beyond inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    this is dope, Anthony, DOPE ! :)
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Mmmmmm tasty. Great work. Glad I got a closer look at this game's art. You all PRIMO work. Fk'n gorgeous game.
  • Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Best level of any game I could think of recently. When I first saw this level in game I was blown away. Awesome job man.
  • ZeroCartin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroCartin polycounter lvl 16
    Beautiful :) Thanks s much for sharing
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Damn, that's awesome !
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome work Anthony, truly inspiring :) I'm sure I will be using these as a reference more than once :thumbup:
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Some of the most impressive work I've seen yet, thanks for sharing.
  • POFFINGTON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    POFFINGTON polycounter lvl 11
    Great job! Loved the game
  • pik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pik
    Very interesting, thank you for sharing :) I wonder ...

How do you, environment artists, work with the level designers? Do you make first a very draft shape for your models, for him to build the map? (In that case do you both think about the shapes, the size, the number of models, etc)

Or does he make a draft block mesh on his own? And then you have to follow his first pass?
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    man i loved the canyon level, it's funny how much better everything looked in motion on the screen - thats how it's supposed to be, work the best at the target medium, great stuff!
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    I remember being blown away by the visuals on this level too. Really good work here.
  • Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff Anthony :)
  • Asyme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astoundingly lovely stuff and very inspirational! One thing I'd love to know is how the Uving was planned to avoid seams or was it just in the cracks and hidden by the height and cavity materials?
  • eY3lEs5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome job Anthony, very inspirational! :)
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Beautiful work! Thanks so much for posting all this :)
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    more wires, more textures, more workflow, more everything me demand! :)
  • Zelenkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelenkov polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice work! Really enjoyed the caravan level.
  • kn0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This stuff ROCKS! Thanks for sharing.

Playing through UC3 now with my girly and really loving it. Haven't hit your level yet but looking forward to it now!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks again everyone for the kind words, really appreciate it :)

Sorry for the bit of a delay, work got in the way but I got around to getting 3 wireframe screen shots of some of the collapsing Sandlantis stuff I did as requested. I will take a look back through some of my level files and see if there are any that would be cool to show wireframes of assembled scenes straight from maya. Might get a bit messy with the wireframes so might not be worth it.

As for questions...

@Olli - Yes the palm leaves too kinda bleed together at a distance. Our shaders and the PS3 in general dosnt handle alpha transparency well, nor is it cheap. But there were also some stylistic choices made on them. The Battlefield ones are suppose to be photo realistic where we wanted to keep a sense of stylization to ours. Since we had a lack of color in the desert and wanted to make things pop we put less cuts in the leaves to cover more area with green, which of course in tern makes the leaves easier too bleed and clump together. Just stylistic choices, but thanks for pointing it out, its a good thing to notice.

@fearian - As for how long sections too to make, it honestly varied so much I couldn't say. With things constantly changing and things getting more detailed/new assets being created things were always in flux. Also every section, even the first ones I ever did got retouched a few times near the end to achieve the final result. The earlier sections of course took longer as there was a lot of making new assets and figuring things out. I also rarely built a section from scratch to 100% all at once, it was a lot making sure the broad strokes for large sections were working, the design was set before going back in and detailing.

@nathdevlin - ha yeah a few friends pointed out a typo or two on my website, I am honestly god awful at spelling :p but will try to get around to fixing those this weekend :)

@pik - There is a lot of communication needed between an environment artist and his/her designer. For blockouts of things the designers supply artists with really simple blockmesh that we use for scale and to tell where the player is in the world/important landmarks he must hit. The designer blockmesh ranges from hundres of annoying 1x1 cubes that make up buildings too mesh blobs representing mountains.

The designers have a general idea of what they want for the level but for the most part the artist is given freedom to figure it out themselves. They generally care more about things that block sections of gameplay when needed, areas for guys to spawn behind, take cover, paths to follow and overall flow of an area. The rest is usually up to our imaginations! With the help of reference and concept art of course :)

@Asyme - As for UV seams, yes they were mostly hidden in the undercut cracks of rocks, or areas that were seen as little as possible. For terrain Brad (my texture artist) too the too connecting pieces of terrain and just line the UV's up together. And occasionally when that wasn't an option I would hide the seams with models on top of those splits.

-Anthony

4tjdyke1abny.jpg
    2lavxm7ohhb4.jpg
    jk2bkncmz84w.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Every time you post, @Autocon, I learn and get even more inspired! :D

Have you had much experience with lightmap-based engines? If so, how does modelling for a vertex-based lighting game (such as Uncharted) compare?
  • zedanemilio
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirCalaot - The only issue with modeling for mainly vertex based lighting engines are you occasionally have "burried verts" where verts are hidden inside of a mesh and you dont have any other verts near by to catch lighting so they light black. So you have to add in extra cuts in there. We do have lightmaps and use them where they are needed.

Halo Reach was the same way where things were mainly vert lit.
  • deazar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Anthony,

Thanks for sharing those great, clean meshes May I ask you about purely technical details, including polycount, actor count etc ? How much memory do you have for your 3D stuff ?
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Autocon wrote: »
    Halo Reach was the same way where things were mainly vert lit.

Really? interesting....
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small assets actually were mainly vert lit where the ground had lightmaps. At least on my levels that was the general way of things :)
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Do you do any modeling with lofts or splines? I notice a lot of the models in Uncharted and Halo Reach make heavy use of modular texture sheetes and trims, and I know that maya for example allows you some pretty awesome control if you use lofts rather than shift-extrudes/edge-extends because they create the UVs automatically.

Also, I know you answered that you don't make the high-polies for your rocks, but do you sculpt any of you environments' terrain to get a rough blockout over wich to retopo? (Not bake or anything, just a quicker way to get some interesting organic forms in low poly form than box modeling)
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    Cheers @Autocon that's really helpful! :)

I guess using a mix of vertex-lighting and lightmaps really gets the best of both worlds, and that certainly shows in your level. The whole area is pretty brown (as it should be) and yet it still has such great contrast and interest.
    I don't know a single person who played it and didn't say, "wow".

Sorry if I'm gushing, I just get really inspired by Naughty Dog's games :D
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    woww thank you so much for this. incredible work. I have a strange itch to make some rocks now
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Cool work, reminds me of the workflow/process for the river level in Kinect Adventures I layed out and the visual success I was shooting for on a project I will not mention. One question, in the first Oasis shot, did it not bother you to hell that the sand material and edgerock materials meet so abruptly? I know that would drive me crazy and I would be inclined to have the rock material blend into the sand! For the rocks inbeded along the trails, did you simply squash the rocks vertically? That's what I did. Sadly, the majority of them were either deleted, moved from their specific location by inexperienced artists or forgotten forever beneath countless retarded revisions by numerous hands, shipped in that state and accounted for horrible frameloss. Oh what it must have been like heaven to be the only artist responsible for the level...
  • AriesGal1629
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is really awesome!!!!!!!!! Amazing work, great stuff to look up to!
  • martin.hedin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The trick with the texture is diffuse light baking, done in for example 3ds max? Or is there some raytracing function in the engine (baking done within the engine, like UDK)?
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work, Anthony !
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Designers that know how to make blockouts are pretty rare, you guys are lucky! Rhinokey and I tried to spearhead a "blockout first" workflow at Mythic but the designers did not seem to grasp the reason for it and would complain about the ugly blockyness of prototype areas.
  • paulsvoboda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paulsvoboda polycounter lvl 12
    Gorgeous work, Anthony! You guys have a fascinating workflow and the results are excellent. Thanks for sharing!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So during the construction of the Oasis Map I decied it would be awesome to take pictures like every day and make a gif out of them too see how the map builds up. Didnt do it everyday but got enough that I thought it was worth a share to some of the guys at work, enough people liked it that they posted it up on the ND website since patch 1.1 released today.

Wish I got more of the early design and at the end it jumps a big deal because I forgot too keep taking pics but hope you guys enjoy it :)

https://web.archive.org/web/20120602110546/http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/return_of_the_lab_patch_111_deployed/

0xckuh7w6zoe.gif

@Computron - No I dont use Maya Lofts/Splines for much. I really think the fucking SUCK in Maya, espcially compared to Max. The 3 tools I use the most are Extrude (I build most things by edge extrude modeling), Insert Edge Loop and the Split Polygon tool.

As for sculpting the ground and decimate it later, no beyond using Maya's sculpting tool too smooth things our or raise some areas up (used this tool a lot in the sand dunes) I start out with super basic terrain shape, get the big forms in there, smooth out and then detail where I need too. Also since you move over the train quite fast on the horse and the trucks are bumping alone the terrain actually has to be quite smooth or it becomes really difficult for most players to aim with this bobbing up and down.

@cyborguineapig - No the sand meeting right up to the rock didnt bother me at all. I can see why people would want things blended all the time so there is no harsh division but in reality that dosnt always happen. When sand butts up right against rock, many times it is that very hard line of sand and then rock. There would be no blend between the too.

@martin.hedin - Yes we have some light AO painted into the texture. Depends on the texture artist but this is generally baked out of xNormal from the zBrush sculpt.

@Justin - Ha yeah, the designers range here from some that use to be artists which is extreamly helpful, to those that make there block outs entirely out of 1x1 cubes >.>
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Wow man this is great! Passing this around at work now.