Home General Discussion

R

elec²ron
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
elec²ron polycounter lvl 12
Cool kickstarter project, shame it doesn't look like it will get funded.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486250632/republique-by-camouflaj-logan

Seems to me that kickstarter can only work with the nostalgia of old ip's and not innovations :(

Replies

• d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Damn, looks great! I wish I was able to donate:(
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Seems to me that kickstarter can only work with the nostalgia of old ip's and not innovations :(

Hollywood and major publishers have long since come to this same conclusion.
  • elec²ron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollywood and major publishers have long since come to this same conclusion.

Unfortunately true. But isn't kickstarter supposed to be all about bucking that trend?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

Or a known developer, it's very much about trust.

They were a bit too late to announce pc support too, the marketing train had already left and all it was at that point was an ios game, nor does innovation help if the new innovative game is not the kind of game some target crowd might want to play.

The most innovative sports game won't be funded by any people who do not care for sports.

Once again though, kickstarter is not a charity, you have to give people what they want, and you have to sell your idea in the best possible way, having been limited to ios only to start with most likely caused the most damage.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    @eld: Very true, I was following it and I also think that's what made it go lower. I also think if they "wanted" to get funded they should have ask less money for an iOS game, even if they get the $500.000 later on. No body knows them and that's all that matters on Kickstarter.
  • ericdigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ericdigital polycounter lvl 13
    Man, looks really interesting. A shame if it doesn't funded. I think you guys are right for the most part about old ips, but at least there are games like banner saga that are the outliers. Though that's the only example I can think of that's a new successful IP on kickstarter :(
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    bugo wrote: »
    @eld: Very true, I was following it and I also think that's what made it go lower. I also think if they "wanted" to get funded they should have ask less money for an iOS game, even if they get the $500.000 later on. No body knows them and that's all that matters on Kickstarter.

That and again: if 1/2 of the people who thought it sounded interesting but then realized they can't play it at all they would most likely forget about funding it, and at the point the developers added the PC to the list, the people who did visit their kickstarter had already forgotten about it.
  • elec²ron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, yeah. Probably more to do with the ios community not being ready for serious games like this rather than anything inherently wrong with kickstarter.

Hope they get a late push on this, want to play.
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    I think the biggest problem for it as a Kickstarter project has just been the choice of platform. This is the kind of title that console and PC gamers are interested in, as the devs themselves point out. But crucially, while plenty of gamers do have iphones and buy games for them, gaming media sites just don't really cover mobile games. So as much as a general gaming news site might love to help propel the grassroots word-of-mouth Kickstarter campaign into being funded, it just didn't fall under the type of articles they'll publish.

And I would say that even more so than big publisher-backed blockbuster titles, the free advertising from places like RockPaperShotgun and Kotaku is incredibly important for Kickstarter projects. The first time I heard about Republique was from a news post on Penny Arcade where Jerry mentioned it in the sense of, "what a shame this won't get funded". That's not how you want to make your first impression.

I'd wager that funding figure would easily be doubled (if not more) by now if they started out saying it would also be a PC release. The funding got a significant boost when it was announced for PC but it's just a case of too little, too late. Momentum is a huge issue for this trust-based funding model.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    If only Tmobile had the iphone..
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Backed this once it went PC (I don't have an iOS device). Really hope it gets a last minute boost.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11

That's the advantage of other sites like indiegogo where, even if it doesn't meet the goal, they still get whatever money was pledged.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    That sounds pretty volatile in that if you still need "x" amount of money and don't get it then you will inevitably arrive at that hurdle at some point?

Also in regards to games it's more that anyone can write up a design document, no doubt a mod team could hash something together and get it on there as some sort of pipedream. I think if youre not an established name then even a tiny amount of potential gameplay is what will really seal the deal. Its something nostalgia has already... proof of quality/or potential whereas some pretentious sounding name and a screenshot is meaningless to me.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    There are a couple of things that don't jibe well with me. The first is that they want half a million just to build a partial demo of their game that they can put to investors to get another half a million. Games like Hydrophobia were built on a budget a third of that size ($350,000).

They also seem to be under the delusion that gamers will flock to iOS "if people make games for them on those platforms". The reality is that they won't, as there are already plenty of superior platforms that already have the types of games they want to play. There are plenty of gamers using iPads, but it seems unlikely to me that people buy iPads just to play games.

Had they made it a PC/Mac game from the start of their campaign, with a much more realistic funding goal, they might have succeeded.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    250K is more then enough for Pete's sake on what they're trying to do, even 100K would have been enough!

Sorry, but as much as I wanted the Rep to be funded, it's outrageous. A bunch of peeps who people haven't heard about in the industry, prototyping a 'workable' version of the game on the Iphone for a tag of 500K, and are 'open' to PC porting later on, it just isn't sane.

They should have started smaller, and made a robust sized game for the money they're trying to get, something akin to Silent Hill one, where the tech was simple and ideas at it's naked core, then, from there they could have used it as a base to make the sequels and start to create more complicated stuff later on, and expand on the idea in bigger ways

Sequels aren't a poison we should be fighting, they're the only way some people can test the waters before jumping in and expanding the technology they have with a sizable investment. Never EVER think your first game is going to be a hit.

Overall, not surprised. Ridiculous price tag, lack of background, format choices and bad wording on how they said stuff led them here.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't know the kick-starter was only for an investment demo, that would explain it a bit better.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Bring this thread back to let you all know it is out now!

http://www.camouflaj.com/
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a video

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C1o7oHq4BE[/ame]
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to say it feels like playing a proper game on the iPad.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I got to play a little at work, and this is one of those "Buy Now" games. I know this game will go down in price, but geeze, if you have $5 buy it now.

Like you said Mats Effect, this feels like a "proper" game.

I need an iPad... Playing on an iPhone5 blows donkey tail.